Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Bowl Game in Little Rock

Started by Seminole Indian, March 11, 2015, 05:49:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

This is good for Central Arkansas.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

GolfNut57

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on March 31, 2015, 05:52:11 pm
The "get hammered on the golf course, take your shirt off, and drop F Bombs at everyone that walks by Bowl".

That would only fit if it involved the SEC conference.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

GolfNut57

Here's the official press release.

= = = 

A group of government, civic and business leaders from Central Arkansas today submitted an application to the NCAA for a Division I Football Bowl Subdivision bowl game to be played in Little Rock. If NCAA approval is obtained, the first game will be played this December at War Memorial Stadium.

The game will match teams from the Sun Belt Conference and the American Athletic Conference. The commissioners of the two conferences recently visited Little Rock and expressed their strong support for such a game. Members of the committee cautioned that this is only the first step in a process. The NCAA is expected to make a decision in May.

The mayors of Little Rock and North Little Rock, the chambers of commerce of both cities and the convention and visitors' bureaus of the two cities are involved in the effort. If NCAA approval is received, the coordinating committee will announce the bowl's name, title sponsor and television partner at a later date.

The bowl will give the Sun Belt Conference, which includes Arkansas State University at Jonesboro, its fifth bowl tie-in along with the New Orleans Bowl, the GoDaddy Bowl at Mobile, the Camellia Bowl at Montgomery and the new Cure Bowl at Orlando.

In addition to Arkansas State, football members of the Sun Belt Conference are Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, Louisiana-Lafayette, Texas State, South Alabama, Louisiana-Monroe, Troy, New Mexico State, Idaho and Georgia State.

Football members of the American Athletic Conference are Central Florida, Cincinnati, Connecticut, East Carolina, Houston, Memphis, the U.S. Naval Academy, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulane and Tulsa.

Navy, whose playing field is named for the late Jack Stephens of Little Rock, is joining the AAC for football this year. Navy will play in the West Division along with Houston, Memphis, SMU, Tulane and Tulsa. The East Division will include Central Florida, Cincinnati, Connecticut, East Carolina, South Florida and Temple.

War Memorial Stadium, built in 1947-48, is one of the most famous football venues in the South. The stadium originally seated 31,075. In the first game at the stadium, the University of Arkansas played Abilene Christian on Sept. 18, 1948. The stadium has served as the Razorbacks' second home since that time. The current capacity is 54,120. In 2010, a $7.3 million renovation that included a new press box and major improvements in club seating was unveiled.

"We think a college bowl game will be the perfect addition to the event schedule at War Memorial," said Kevin Crass of Little Rock, the chairman of the War Memorial Stadium Commission. "Arkansans love college football, and I have no doubt this game will be a success. We already have the strong support of key people in both Little Rock and North Little Rock. The game will showcase the attractions that Central Arkansas has to offer for a national television audience while introducing a new group of visitors to the area's many amenities."

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

DLUXHOG

Well.... I certainly hope LR gets this bowl game approved....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Seminole Indian

Quote from: DLUXHOG on April 01, 2015, 04:11:54 pm
Well.... I certainly hope LR gets this bowl game approved....
Unless something drastic happens to muddy the water it is almost a certainty that it will be, and pretty quick, because December will be here before you know it.

Did notice that Orlando is also applying for a bowl game involving the SBC.

I'm sure some A-State fans would appreciate an occasional trip Orlando in December but better plan on Little Rock.............. every year.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on April 01, 2015, 06:45:32 pm
Unless something drastic happens to muddy the water it is almost a certainty that it will be, and pretty quick, because December will be here before you know it.

Did notice that Orlando is also applying for a bowl game involving the SBC.

I'm sure some A-State fans would appreciate an occasional trip Orlando in December but better plan on Little Rock.............. every year.

Talk about a let down......

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on April 01, 2015, 06:54:21 pm

Talk about a let down......
No kidding.

I can't wait to see the look on some of their fans faces if both are approved, knowing they know their fate.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Inhogswetrust

April 01, 2015, 09:30:03 pm #57 Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 10:03:54 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Seminole Indian on April 01, 2015, 09:32:52 am
Pretty sure A-State either lost a little or broke even in all their recent bowl games, but you will be hard pressed to find anyone up in this neck of the woods, that thinks going to those 4 games was not worth the cost.

Losing any amount even if a little or just breaking even is the same as NOT making any money. The "worth the cost" statement is debatable. I'll concede that most school do think it is always worth the cost. That's what I'd expect any school to say or else why would they go and not turn down a bowl invitation. I have no problem with that. If I were a school admin I'd say go and then make my rational as to why the cost is worth it no matter how logical it may or may not be.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Seminole Indian

April 01, 2015, 09:58:11 pm #58 Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 10:13:52 pm by Seminole Indian
No problem, and to be honest I have been guilty of letting the arguments by Razorback fans about the amount other state schools spend on athletics go in one ear and out the other.

Just assumed  their underlying  motives were  preserving the 'monopoly' they had on athletics in the state. My bad!

Do know that when people walk into their stadium the will be impressed with the tangible things that come with success, and even more so the year after next.

I also look for them to be invited too, and except a bowl game every year for the foreseeable future, mostly in Little Rock, and I look for even more tangible things to result from this success.

Looks to me like there are now two FBS teams in Arkansas that are benefiting from 'given the people what the people want', when it comes to football, and think what is  happening  with LR is just a reflection of  that fact.

As I have also said I think that this is just the beginning of their run of success, and i said that  for a lot of real tangible reasons. The addition of this bowl if it happens will be another one of those reasons.

I also know many here feel strongly I am wrong, and I have no problem with that because to me it is just entertainment, nothing else.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on April 01, 2015, 09:58:11 pm
No problem, and to be honest I have been guilty of letting the arguments by Razorback fans about the amount other state schools spend on athletics go in one ear and out the other.

Just assumed  their underlying  motives were  preserving the 'monopoly' they had on athletics in the state. My bad!

Do know that when people walk into their stadium the will be impressed with the tangible things that come with success, and even more so the year after next.

I also look for them to be invited too, and except a bowl game every year for the foreseeable future, mostly in Little Rock, and I look for even more tangible things to result from this success.

Looks to me like there are now two FBS teams in Arkansas that are benefiting from 'given the people what the people want', when it comes to football, and think what is  happening  with LR is just a reflection of  that fact.

As I have also said I think that this is just the beginning of their run of success, and i do that for a lot of real tangible reasons.

I also know many here feel strongly I am wrong, and I have no problem with that because to me it is just entertainment, nothing else.

Glad you're not a fan......you know, lol.

GolfNut57

Quote from: ricepig on April 02, 2015, 09:45:21 am
Nope, you will be forced to go to LR, don't doubt him.

He would likely be forced to go to Texas like he keeps saying he is going to do before the other happens.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: GolfNut57 on April 02, 2015, 12:04:48 pm
He would likely be forced to go to Texas like he keeps saying he is going to do before the other happens.
Got back last Thursday, and will be back next week for a few days. You going to catch the Wolves in LR game this December, and the next, and the next?

GolfNut57

Quote from: Seminole Indian on April 02, 2015, 12:09:03 pm
Got back last Thursday, and will be back next week for a few days. You going to catch the Wolves in LR game this December, and the next, and the next?

It is almost worth hoping they have a mediocre to bad season again this year just to watch you disappear again for a few months.

ricepig

Quote from: GolfNut57 on April 02, 2015, 12:59:58 pm
It is almost worth hoping they have a mediocre to bad season again this year just to watch you disappear again for a few months.

Not that he's a fan, or cares any....

Seminole Indian

April 02, 2015, 04:00:11 pm #64 Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 04:20:42 pm by Seminole Indian
Quote from: ricepig on April 02, 2015, 01:07:07 pm
Not that he's a fan, or cares any....
and will do so again this year from time to time. Caught and released a hammerhead, a black-tip, and gave away 4 sheep-head, 2 Kings, 3 Spanish,  5 Reds  and a bunch of fish (that I forgot what they were) , last week and have fishing fever, Texas style.

On that 35K I mentioned on the other board that you asked about I was referring to your response to another poster in this thread.

You posted  "I disagree on ULL drawing that much in LR, no matter the opponent, ASU probably would draw 35,000 against Memphis or SMU." above.

Seemed pretty reasonable to be, and I posted my breakdown  of my 40K +/- a few, somewhere. Hope I did not take it out of context.

Did listen to Rex Nelson driving home from the gym, and he said 'everyone' from LR and NLR is on board, along with the Gov.

The most important thing to have to get NCAA approval per Rex is two Conferences willing to provide teams.

For the A-State fans dreaming of Orlando or New Orleans , Rex simply said while it is each conference decision who goes, after the people down there met with the SBC Commissioner, he does not see the SBC not sending a bowl eligible A-State to LR.

ricepig

My 35,000 was the top figure that it would draw, you know, perfect weather, interesting matchup, first time game......Anyway, you do know why Rex is saying what he's saying, correct?

Also, don't run away like last year when things go south, it makes you look like a fan and care about the results.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on April 02, 2015, 04:30:19 pm
My 35,000 was the top figure that it would draw, you know, perfect weather, interesting matchup, first time game......Anyway, you do know why Rex is saying what he's saying, correct?

Also, don't run away like last year when things go south, it makes you look like a fan and care about the results.
but i don't care and when i take a contract, especially overseas, or go fishing I don't give a thought to this stuff. it has always been that way and everyone knows when I'm gone I'm gone, and my wife handles everything

I took a short contract with Electrolux Memphis last year, and did not even know the UL score for a week or two, and could not tell you without looking at their schedule from last year, who they did or did not beat down the stretch to win 7, because I do not care at all. 

My only prediction for A-State is they are now a an 8 games +/-1 program that is it. I don't predict scores of games, and will only reference what the line is or who other sites say is favored.

Not sure about the why with Rex , but like everyone was short on specifics.

ricepig

Me thinks you doth protest too much.....so, when you don't post, you don't care, gotcha.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on April 02, 2015, 05:01:19 pm
Me thinks you doth protest too much.....so, when you don't post, you don't care, gotcha.
If your are talking about their record, or the Razorback record no i don't. Happy for their fans when they win of course.

The only thing i care about is recruiting, and it is only in regard to my interest in recruiting that i follow either, and anything i know about either is incidental to my following recruiting, and the things that effect recruiting.

The recruiting season is the only season i care about but unlike the old days it no longer ends.

It is only this interest that made me say A-State is now a 8 +/- 1 win program, and the Razorbacks a slightly below .500 SEC team.

Fact is  i have not driven the 7 miles to watch them in over a decade(then only because a HS friend was in town for the game) and why i would not walk across the street to watch the razorbacks. Simply do not care.

I would attend either teams practice, just to see their talent, especially the ones i had followed in recruiting.

ricepig

No, about how you don't care about any team, yet spend an enormous amount of time on message boards, quack quack.

pigture perfect

A bowl game in the Rock also helps the state overall. Not just Little Rock. I would be a proud supporter of it.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

DLUXHOG

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 02, 2015, 07:40:38 pm
A bowl game in the Rock also helps the state overall. Not just Little Rock. I would be a proud supporter of it.

Well, as Mr Rogers would say..... "I like you!"
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

GolfNut57

I see some on here mention having someone on ignore. Ho do you do that here because I have seen no button/icon to click on that lets you do that? Is it something you acquire after a certain number of posts?

Senility

Am I correct in my understanding of the gist of this proposed bowl that of paramount concern is enticing more dollars into the Little Rock civic coffers?

If that be the case, does it naturally follow that the decisions regarding which participant teams to invite would largely rest upon which teams could put more butts in the seats AND attract a more affluent, freely spending fan base?

Would the quality (and W-L records) of the prospective representative programs have little or no bearing on the selection committee?

GolfNut57

Quote from: Senility on April 02, 2015, 08:07:38 pm
Am I correct in my understanding of the gist of this proposed bowl that of paramount concern is enticing more dollars into the Little Rock civic coffers?

If that be the case, does it naturally follow that the decisions regarding which participant teams to invite would largely rest upon which teams could put more butts in the seats AND attract a more affluent, freely spending fan base?

Would the quality (and W-L records) of the prospective representative programs have little or no bearing on the selection committee?

The SEC has enough bowl tie ins already.......

Seminole Indian

April 02, 2015, 09:13:49 pm #75 Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 09:26:13 pm by Seminole Indian
Quote from: Senility on April 02, 2015, 08:07:38 pm

Yes and that is why they were happy to get the AAC, which is probably the best G5 Conference, and has several members in states adjacent to Arkansas that might fit the bill (SMU, Houston, Tulane, Tulsa, Memphis), that Arkansas fans are familiar with involved with the bowl game. It is expected that their fans will make the trip in fairly large numbers, and spend some $.

Of course that the SBC has an instate team in it is the major reason  they are excited to have them, and they have made that very clear. The SBC does not have to send A-State but it is expected they will at every opportunity.

The A-State coaches and Administration see an advantage in playing teams from the best G5 conference in Arkansas, and their fans will support them in a bowl game regardless.

If either conference fails to have enough qualified teams, look for a P5 to chime in.

This should be a very good bowl game, for all parties.

Seminole Indian

April 03, 2015, 07:27:40 am #76 Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 07:52:46 am by Seminole Indian
A-State did announce a home/home with Tulsa today in the Jonesboro Sun, and mentioned the closeness of the schools, as a factor in doing so.

Probably would not want to play them twice in a season.

The  A-State AD stated in the article that Memphis had 'no appetite' for scheduling A-State right now so IMO, and based on reading some post on other message boards, they would be target #1 for A-State fans, and probably the LR Bowl if it gets approved.

DeltaBoy

Sad to hear the Bowl is not going to be played.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.