Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My running put on hold yet again

Started by Tomhog™, March 28, 2008, 09:19:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgrunner

Hog Momster

Quote from: Tomhog™ on December 17, 2008, 01:15:18 pm
Thanks, Momster.  I have moved home again and using a walker a good portion of the time.  The therapist and I have even started working with crutches.  it is nice to be standing again.

How much weight can you put down?  I assume the MD limited you, right?
Momster. For the reasons described below:
1. She's female, which indicates she's mean. Not badazz mean but pure mean, like evil really. Not Darth Vader evil either but the real deal. More like Satan.
2. Because of reason 1 she does not only NOT believe in "the fair fight", but soundly rejects it and will win at all cost: i.e. up to, and including, causing her own demise. (i know this first hand, i live in a house with 3 females)
3. She's smarter than me (by default, once again due to reason 1)
4. She's had children, there is nothing you could do to her that will hurt her physically or mentally at this point.
5. She seems a little cranky tonight

DeltaBoy

It's a new year Tom how are you doing???
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hawgrunner

Tomhog™

I am doing better as expected.  I go see the doctor again in a week and hope he gives me clearance for full weight on either leg.  I am restricted to partial weight bearing on the left (50%) and full weight bearing on the right.  I am getting around on crutches now and am strengthening my legs so when restrictions are removed I can ditch the crutches.

Hog Momster

Quote from: Tomhog™ on January 07, 2009, 03:44:22 pm
I am doing better as expected.  I go see the doctor again in a week and hope he gives me clearance for full weight on either leg.  I am restricted to partial weight bearing on the left (50%) and full weight bearing on the right.  I am getting around on crutches now and am strengthening my legs so when restrictions are removed I can ditch the crutches.

TomHog, that is great!  Glad you are doing so well.
1. She's female, which indicates she's mean. Not badazz mean but pure mean, like evil really. Not Darth Vader evil either but the real deal. More like Satan.
2. Because of reason 1 she does not only NOT believe in "the fair fight", but soundly rejects it and will win at all cost: i.e. up to, and including, causing her own demise. (i know this first hand, i live in a house with 3 females)
4. She's had children, there is nothing you could do to her that will hurt her physically or mentally at this point.

DeltaBoy

Well Praise the Lord your doing Better. Keep it up Tom!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

hawgrunner

Quote from: Tomhog™ on January 07, 2009, 03:44:22 pm

+1

DeltaBoy

What is the Latest TOM you back to Running it almost National Signing day.

Tomhog™

HA.  I won't be running probably until 2010.  I have no ability to lift my left foot still and was told it would take up to a year or more to regain.  I am wearing a plastic brace that would no doubt rub blisters everywhere.  I did go to the track yesterday and walked 2 laps.  Half mile wore me out.  For the first time, I was the slowest person on the track, including the older ladies.

Hog Momster

Quote from: Tomhog™ on January 23, 2009, 03:34:07 pm
HA.  I won't be running probably until 2010.  I have no ability to lift my left foot still and was told it would take up to a year or more to regain.  I am wearing a plastic brace that would no doubt rub blisters everywhere.  I did go to the track yesterday and walked 2 laps.  Half mile wore me out.  For the first time, I was the slowest person on the track, including the older ladies.

Is it and ankle foot orthosis?  Is the inability to lift the left foot from nerve damage?  Have the PT try direct e-stim to work the nerve for dorsiflexion.  Hope you get better soon.  Any questions, PM me.

Tomhog™

I always wondered what AFO stood for. LOL Nerve damage is the culprit.  The doctor that did my nerve test said e-therapy may help, but that has not been pursued.  The therapists down here are not all that great from my experience.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Tomhog™ on January 26, 2009, 02:18:29 pm
I always wondered what AFO stood for. LOL Nerve damage is the culprit.  The doctor that did my nerve test said e-therapy may help, but that has not been pursued.  The therapists down here are not all that great from my experience.

We will keep praying for you Tom dang you messed yourself up but good this time.

Hog Momster

Quote from: Tomhog™ on January 26, 2009, 02:18:29 pm

Man, I don't know where you are, but I would call around, try to find someone who knows what direct point stimulation of the tibialis anterior muscle/peroneal nerve IS and HOW to do it.  You deserve better treatment so you can recover.  Remember, YOU can choose your therapist/clinic and by law are not forced to go one that may be supplied by the doctor.  Just a heads up, we get a lot of referrals from certain docs because we have a good rep and good patient recovery, but we are an independent company and not doctor owned.  You can always have them call me! ;)

DeltaBoy

Hog Momster is Right.  Be proactive it is your body and your health.

Tomhog™

I am going to have to do some shopping around.  I'll do whatever it takes to get motion control back.  I have proven to everyone that I can work through pain and do things diligently, hard as it may be.

Ya'll are probably a good ways from south Arkansas, I'd imagine. 

hawgrunner

Quote from: Tomhog™ on January 29, 2009, 09:31:52 am
I am going to have to do some shopping around.  I'll do whatever it takes to get motion control back.  I have proven to everyone that I can work through pain and do things diligently, hard as it may be.

+1 for you!

Hog Momster

Quote from: Tomhog™ on February 11, 2009, 04:51:43 pm
Ugh, I am getting fat again not being able to exercise like I used to.  sigh

You know where I am.

hawgrunner

My Sciatic Nerve started up about 2 1/2 weeks ago and I have been out of doing any major exercise. So I'm now down to just small amount of stretching and over the counter drugs. I know is this not close to what your going through but boy does it hurt.

Tomhog™

Quote from: Hog Momster on February 11, 2009, 09:31:38 pm
You know where I am.

I've been doing what you suggested on calf stretching.  It seems to be helping as the pain is no longer in the muscles there when I walk.  Now it is more in the feet, and more specifically the right heel that took the brunt of the force applied.

Hog Momster

Quote from: Tomhog™ on February 12, 2009, 10:32:38 am
I've been doing what you suggested on calf stretching.  It seems to be helping as the pain is no longer in the muscles there when I walk.  Now it is more in the feet, and more specifically the right heel that took the brunt of the force applied.

Over on Grove street is a medical supply place.  They carry SPENCO shoe inserts.  Get the one with extra heel cushion.  It is made of a polysorbathane material and should help with the impact forces of walking.  Or go to SPENCO.COM.

Hog Momster

Quote from: rock642 on February 11, 2009, 11:22:20 pm
My Sciatic Nerve started up about 2 1/2 weeks ago and I have been out of doing any major exercise. So I'm now down to just small amount of stretching and over the counter drugs. I know is this not close to what your going through but boy does it hurt.

Lay on your stomach for 10-15 minutes. Then come up on your elbows for 10-15 minutes.  Lastly, do press-ups with your arms (leaving hips on the bed), think upward dog for yoga and this should extend your back gently, will relieve the pain down the leg. NOTE: DO NOT CAUSE INCREASED LEG PAIN, INITIALLY MAY HAVE SLIGHT INCREASED BACK PAIN, BUT DECREASED LEG PAIN.  LEG PAIN IS THE WORSE SYMPTOM.  Keep going, sets of 5 (press ups) until leg and then back pain is gone.  Trust Me ;)

IronHog

Quote from: Hog Momster on February 12, 2009, 08:44:08 pm
Lay on your stomach for 10-15 minutes. Then come up on your elbows for 10-15 minutes.  Lastly, do press-ups with your arms (leaving hips on the bed), think upward dog for yoga and this should extend your back gently, will relieve the pain down the leg. NOTE: DO NOT CAUSE INCREASED LEG PAIN, INITIALLY MAY HAVE SLIGHT INCREASED BACK PAIN, BUT DECREASED LEG PAIN.  LEG PAIN IS THE WORSE SYMPTOM.  Keep going, sets of 5 (press ups) until leg and then back pain is gone.  Trust Me ;)

Or you could just move your wallet to the other side, but hey whatever works!
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Hog Momster

Quote from: IronHog on February 12, 2009, 08:46:21 pm

A lot of guys have back pain from sitting on their wallet while driving.....nice observation!

IronHog

Quote from: Hog Momster on February 12, 2009, 08:48:24 pm
A lot of guys have back pain from sitting on their wallet while driving.....nice observation!

Anything to keep from using McKenzie.

Hog Momster

Quote from: IronHog on February 12, 2009, 08:59:11 pm
Anything to keep from using McKenzie.

McKenzie works.  What do you like?

IronHog

Quote from: Hog Momster on February 12, 2009, 09:03:46 pm
McKenzie works. 

Sometimes.

For mild/moderate nerve root/discgenic type radicular pain I like a course of passive sidelying traction, strict bodymechanics, and TA/Multifidi strengthening.

Hard neurological signs or lack of progression with above will get static traction followed by whatever exercise program (often McKenzie) will centralize the symptoms.

hawgrunner

Quote from: Hog Momster on February 12, 2009, 08:44:08 pm

Thanks, I give it a shot!

hawgrunner

Quote from: IronHog on February 12, 2009, 08:46:21 pm

I always take my wallet out when I sit down. But great point.

Hog Momster

Quote from: IronHog on February 12, 2009, 09:13:44 pm
Sometimes.

For mild/moderate nerve root/discgenic type radicular pain I like a course of passive sidelying traction, strict bodymechanics, and TA/Multifidi strengthening.

Hard neurological signs or lack of progression with above will get static traction followed by whatever exercise program (often McKenzie) will centralize the symptoms.

Of course, I only start with the McKensie.  Then I progress to core strengthening and stretching appropriately.  Body mechanics are emphasized from day one.  I do have a lot of patient's with pelvic rotations/dysfunction and find I can really relieve their pain with some manual therapy.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Tomhog™ on February 11, 2009, 04:51:43 pm
Ugh, I am getting fat again not being able to exercise like I used to.  sigh

I understand I have been a 228-230 since Christmas my Allegires have been given me hades and my kids schedules are keeping me out till after dark. 

Hang in there TOM!

hawgrunner

Quote from: Tomhog™ on February 12, 2009, 10:32:38 am

Tom, How are you doing this days?

Tomhog™

Marginally better each day.  I go back for hand surgery in a month or so to fix a bone that displaced.  I opted to wait since I really needed my hands back when I was in the hospital.  A broke hand better than an immobile hand.  Legs get stronger and stronger.  I hope to be back running early 2010.

Hog Momster

Quote from: Tomhog™ on May 04, 2009, 07:49:23 am
Marginally better each day.  I go back for hand surgery in a month or so to fix a bone that displaced.  I opted to wait since I really needed my hands back when I was in the hospital.  A broke hand better than an immobile hand.  Legs get stronger and stronger.  I hope to be back running early 2010.

I'm still praying for you.  Hope things work out great!

hawgrunner

Best to ya buddy, keep us posted.

My Bulged Disk between L5/S1 is getting better as well, having more days now where I getting full feeling in my lower leg and left foot. As well I haven't limped in over 2 1/2 weeks.

DeltaBoy

Good luck on the Hand Tom and we are still praying for you. 

Hog Momster your an angel ! 

Hog Momster

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 05, 2009, 03:28:58 pm
Good luck on the Hand Tom and we are still praying for you. 

Hog Momster your an angel !

*blushes*

Hawg Balling

Quote from: Tomhog™ on March 28, 2008, 09:19:27 am
Sadly, I have reaggravated the injury to my foot doing intervals last week.  So once again I find myself on the sidelines, not able to run.  I've got an appt with a foot doctor set for Monday.  He's a runner too, so he should be able to help.

What sucks about it is the only other way I LIKE to exercise is play tennis.  I have tendonitis in my shoulder and can't do that either.

Didn't know a body could start falling apart at 34...   >:(

Sounds like you could play QB for the Jets or the Vikings. 

Tomhog™

Quote from: Hawg Balling on May 06, 2009, 03:49:22 pm
Sounds like you could play QB for the Jets or the Vikings. 

HAHAHA.  Funny that shoulder pain migrated to the other shoulder.  I could play tennis again if I could move faster than a three-toed sloth.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Tomhog™ on May 07, 2009, 01:44:44 pm
HAHAHA.  Funny that shoulder pain migrated to the other shoulder.  I could play tennis again if I could move faster than a three-toed sloth.

Even though your hurt that is funny ROFL.

hawgrunner

If a bulged disk between L5/S1 goes down does that mean running is possible again some day?

Hog Momster

Depends.  1) on the surface you are running on. 2) lots and lots of core stability/pilates/ab work to keep your back strong.

Running on concrete is the worst and lots of people run on the street which is slightly graded for water drainage and this can be a problem.  Treadmills can be tough if they are not the kind with a shock absorbent platform.  Best surface to run on is a high school track that is made for running or dirt/grass on a trail.  Not always available. 

Also, have good shoes for running and replace them every 6 months or so.  You will be able to tell they are breaking down.

Talk to your doctor/PT.  They can tell you the best options for you and if you should be running as they know what is going on in your back.

Tomhog™

Speaking of high school track, I put in 5 laps (mostly walking) on it this past Saturday.  My legs and feet felt so good after mowing the yard, I thought I'd try to see if I could jog much yet.  The 5 laps I did were walk, jog, walk, jog, and walk.  I was impressed I could jog that much.

Some difficulties I had with jogging were:

1) my left foot control hasn't regained fully yet.  I had problems getting good foot strike and really had to concentrate to make sure I didn't make a misstep and drag it.

2) my joints do not move fluid at all, but loosened up a bit as I went

3) my leg muscles are still so far out of shape that they were fatigued by the end of each lap I jogged

The great news is I could get out there and do it:

1) I wasn't expecting to be able to until 2010 to jog at any distance. 

2) My foot control will continue getting better over the next 6 months.

3) My joints are slowly buty steadily getting looser.

4) My muscles are fast gaining strength.

Hard to think it's only been 7 months since I snapped my legs like twigs on the highway at 65 mph.

hawgrunner

Not thinking that a jog was going to happen until 2010 and doing it now is great.

+1

Hog Momster

Congrats Tomhog.  PM me if  you need anything or have any questions.  Keep doing your ankle exercises and try an elliptical machine to also work on the leg muscles.  Takes less effort to watch the ankle/foot.  I am really happy for you!

DeltaBoy

Congrads Tom your back to doing a little road work.

Tomhog™

Well, i had one final surgery yesterday to fix my broke hand that didnt heal right. they rebroke it, inserting a synthetic bone and installed yet more titanium rods and screws.  so now the left hand is in a cast for the next month, so i wont be doing much running if any while its on.  and yes, i am typing one-handed. sigh