Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My running put on hold yet again

Started by Tomhog™, March 28, 2008, 09:19:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

Your now the 6 million dollar Man
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hog Momster

Quote from: Tomhog™ on May 28, 2009, 09:02:56 pm
Well, i had one final surgery yesterday to fix my broke hand that didnt heal right. they rebroke it, inserting a synthetic bone and installed yet more titanium rods and screws.  so now the left hand is in a cast for the next month, so i wont be doing much running if any while its on.  and yes, i am typing one-handed. sigh
I am so sorry to hear that TomHog.  Hope that you continue to improve.
Momster. For the reasons described below:
1. She's female, which indicates she's mean. Not badazz mean but pure mean, like evil really. Not Darth Vader evil either but the real deal. More like Satan.
2. Because of reason 1 she does not only NOT believe in "the fair fight", but soundly rejects it and will win at all cost: i.e. up to, and including, causing her own demise. (i know this first hand, i live in a house with 3 females)
3. She's smarter than me (by default, once again due to reason 1)
4. She's had children, there is nothing you could do to her that will hurt her physically or mentally at this point.
5. She seems a little cranky tonight

hawgrunner

Quote from: Tomhog™ on May 28, 2009, 09:02:56 pm
Well, i had one final surgery yesterday to fix my broke hand that didnt heal right. they rebroke it, inserting a synthetic bone and installed yet more titanium rods and screws.  so now the left hand is in a cast for the next month, so i wont be doing much running if any while its on.  and yes, i am typing one-handed. sigh

I'll pray for bro!

hawgsav1

Quote from: Tomhog™ on May 29, 2009, 10:11:12 pm
Thanks for the prayers.  They are most welcomed from me. 

Best of luck to you Tomhog. 

Btw, with the metal rods and plates in you, have they turned you into Terminator yet or what? ;)
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Tomhog™

June 23, 2009, 07:55:43 am #108 Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 07:43:32 am by Tomhog™
Until I finally get this cast off my arm and start running/training again.  I've got a tall mountain to climb this time, but I won't let that stop me.  I am so ready to be running 10+ miles again.  I don't care if it is 98 degrees outside.  I so miss the rush of running and the high it gives me afterwards.  I've been wearing 8 lb ankle weights after work to build strength.  I might not even get a 1/2 mile my first time out, but that's ok.  Any distance is better than a wheelchair, walker, crutches, or cane that I endured for months.  My goal is to get back to 5K/10K conditioning.  Ultimate goal is to run a marathon.  I don't know if my reconstructed legs can handle it, but it is something I would like to achieve.

hawgrunner

Quote from: Tomhog™ on June 23, 2009, 07:55:43 am
Until I finally get this cast off my arm and start running/training again.  I've got a tall mountain to climb this time, but I won't let that stop me.  I am so ready to be running 10+ miles again.  I don't care if it is 98 degrees outside.  I so miss the rush of running and the high it gives me afterwards.  I've been wearing 8 lb ankle weights after work to build strength.  I might not even get a 1/2 mile my first time out, but that's ok.  Any distance is better than a wheelchair, walker, crutches, or cane that I endured for months.  My goal is to get back to 5K/10K conditioning.  Ultimate goal is to run a marathon.  I don't know if my reconstructed legs can handle it, but it is something I would like to achieve.

+1 Glad to hear it!!

Hog Momster

Quote from: Tomhog™ on June 23, 2009, 07:55:43 am

Go easy on the ankle weights.  After your leg surgeries, it may put too much traction at the knee and ankle. 

Your goals are admirable.  I hope you achieve them.
1. She's female, which indicates she's mean. Not badazz mean but pure mean, like evil really. Not Darth Vader evil either but the real deal. More like Satan.
2. Because of reason 1 she does not only NOT believe in "the fair fight", but soundly rejects it and will win at all cost: i.e. up to, and including, causing her own demise. (i know this first hand, i live in a house with 3 females)
4. She's had children, there is nothing you could do to her that will hurt her physically or mentally at this point.

Tomhog™

Quote from: Hog Momster on June 26, 2009, 07:04:22 am
Go easy on the ankle weights.  After your leg surgeries, it may put too much traction at the knee and ankle. 

Your goals are admirable.  I hope you achieve them.

Could you expound on "traction"?  I've heard the term but not familiar enough to understand.

Hog Momster

Quote from: Tomhog™ on June 26, 2009, 11:21:23 am
Could you expound on "traction"?  I've heard the term but not familiar enough to understand.

Like a stretch.  Every step you take it pulls at the joints of the knee and hip.  It can be stressful for healing ligaments and bone fragments.  Especially if you have pins and screws in the bone that have to have bone growth to stabilize.

Think having a cable from your truck winch to a vehicle in the mud.  The deeper the mud, the more stress on the winch to pull the other vehicle out.  Make sense?  PM if you need anymore.

DeltaBoy

GO GET'EM Tomhog!  Nothing like an answered Prayer.

Hog Momster

Tomhog™

Doing good.  Still in the weight-loss stage and doing a lot of cardio workouts to burn calories.  I can walk/jog 3 miles now, but causes my left knee to swell and ache.  I go back to the dr in October for x-rays on it to see how the arthritis is progressing.  Muscle strength is good since I go to the gym several times per week.  Doing lots of stretches to loosen the joints that still tend to stiffen.  Walking is still difficult when I have been at rest for too long.  My right foot causes a lot of that.  Nerves to the left foot I'd say are about 80% restored by now.  I am optimistic still that things will get somewhat back to normal down the road since it has only been 10 months and healing takes btw 12-18 for an accident of this magnitude.  Thanks for asking.  I haven't had much time for Hogville lately due to this refocus of free time.

Hog Momster

Glad to hear you are doing good.  How are the calf stretches doing you?  Any problems?

hawgrunner

Quote from: Tomhog™ on August 23, 2009, 09:55:25 am
Doing good.  Still in the weight-loss stage and doing a lot of cardio workouts to burn calories.  I can walk/jog 3 miles now, but causes my left knee to swell and ache.  I go back to the dr in October for x-rays on it to see how the arthritis is progressing.  Muscle strength is good since I go to the gym several times per week.  Doing lots of stretches to loosen the joints that still tend to stiffen.  Walking is still difficult when I have been at rest for too long.  My right foot causes a lot of that.  Nerves to the left foot I'd say are about 80% restored by now.  I am optimistic still that things will get somewhat back to normal down the road since it has only been 10 months and healing takes btw 12-18 for an accident of this magnitude.  Thanks for asking.  I haven't had much time for Hogville lately due to this refocus of free time.

+1 buddy!

Tomhog™

Quote from: Hog Momster on August 23, 2009, 10:18:43 am
Glad to hear you are doing good.  How are the calf stretches doing you?  Any problems?

They are going good actually.  No problems to speak of.  I can now take my foot past 90 degrees in achilles stretching whereas I couldn't for a while there.  Both my mom and dad have terrible flexibility and I no doubt inherited it.  I stretch every evening before/after workouts

DeltaBoy

Hog Momster

Quote from: Tomhog™ on August 24, 2009, 11:23:10 am
They are going good actually.  No problems to speak of.  I can now take my foot past 90 degrees in achilles stretching whereas I couldn't for a while there.  Both my mom and dad have terrible flexibility and I no doubt inherited it.  I stretch every evening before/after workouts

Congrats.  Glad you are doing well!

hawgrunner

DeltaBoy

Tomhog™

Been doing good, DB.  I still have to face daily challenges.  I go back for my 3 month followup next week.  Hard to believe it is already getting close to a year since the accident. 

DeltaBoy

September 22, 2009, 08:41:33 am #126 Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 09:24:51 am by DeltaBoy
I remember mine back in Feb 06 it took over a year and I will be a little gimpy from now on.   Glad your still progressing so well.

Hog Momster

Do you have a more flexible calf muscle?  What about ankle motion and strength?  Can you pull the toes up?  You know where I'm at if you need me.

Tomhog™

Quote from: Hog Momster on September 22, 2009, 10:51:24 pm
Do you have a more flexible calf muscle?  What about ankle motion and strength?  Can you pull the toes up?  You know where I'm at if you need me.

Yes, it has improved in both legs.  Strength and motion in the right ankle is much better.  Though stretching is a bit painful still.  I have almost regained full nerve control of my left foot.  I can pull them up well enough to walk without fear of dragging.  I just have to watch my side steps.  I still stumble when I do those.

DeltaBoy

Becareful nothing more embarrassing than to stumble and fall in public when you not drunk or over 65.

Keep working!

DeltaBoy

Tomhog™

I'm doing well.  One year ago today was when I had my accident.  It's been a long, tough year.  But, hopefully the absolute worst is over with and I will continue to get better over the next few months.

DeltaBoy

Well keep it up I am still praying for you and stay a way from those Motorcycles for at least another year.

IronHog

Quote from: Tomhog™ on October 15, 2009, 10:18:52 pm
I am done with bikes. One near-death encounter is my limit.

There is a reason you'll see plenty of Orthodontists on bikes, but very few Orthopedic surgeons.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

DeltaBoy

Tomhog™

Doctors have released me, so no more followup appointments.  That is what I've been waiting for.  I've been jogging again and trying to get back into shape.  No arthritis at this point, which is a big relief to me.

hawgrunner

Quote from: Tomhog™ on November 24, 2009, 11:52:36 am
Doctors have released me, so no more followup appointments.  That is what I've been waiting for.  I've been jogging again and trying to get back into shape.  No arthritis at this point, which is a big relief to me.

Sounds great! I love then we get back to those areas were we started. I just don't think I'll ever look like I did when I was 21.  8)

Hog Momster

Quote from: Tomhog™ on November 24, 2009, 11:52:36 am

Glad to hear that Tomhog.

Tomhog™

I appreciate everyone's support on this board.  It's nice to know I have good friends on here, even though I've never met some of you.  I hope that by next May I will be as close to normal as can be.

hawgrunner

Quote from: Tomhog™ on November 29, 2009, 10:21:57 pm
I appreciate everyone's support on this board.  It's nice to know I have good friends on here, even though I've never met some of you.  I hope that by next May I will be as close to normal as can be.

Keep up the good work. I'll never be able to run again but always glad to hear about people getting back in the game!

DeltaBoy

Gald to hear your released and take care of yourself Tom.

DeltaBoy

How about a New Years Update Tom!!!

hawgrunner

Quote from: hawgrunner on November 29, 2009, 10:35:18 pm
Keep up the good work. I'll never be able to run again but always glad to hear about people getting back in the game!

Don't know why I said that, back then. Due to in 2011 to 2013 I went from zero to running a 50K then back to only short runs now of about 2 to 3 miles.

Tomhog™

Quote from: hawgrunner on December 28, 2014, 05:13:56 pm
Don't know why I said that, back then. Due to in 2011 to 2013 I went from zero to running a 50K then back to only short runs now of about 2 to 3 miles.

Good to hear. I totally forgot about this thread. Don't remember it being in this forum. I will actually surpass 1000 miles of running since my accident on my next run. I'm logging about 50 miles per month now since June. I've lost 28 pounds in the process. Haha

ricepig

Quote from: Tomhog™ on December 31, 2014, 07:07:01 pm
Good to hear. I totally forgot about this thread. Don't remember it being in this forum. I will actually surpass 1000 miles of running since my accident on my next run. I'm logging about 50 miles per month now since June. I've lost 28 pounds in the process. Haha

I found them, need em back?

holeinthewall

My goal for this year is to run at least 1,000 miles. I am at 12 through 4 days.  I try to do 3-5 at least 5 times a week. 

Tomhog™

Quote from: holeinthewall on January 05, 2015, 07:29:49 am
My goal for this year is to run at least 1,000 miles. I am at 12 through 4 days.  I try to do 3-5 at least 5 times a week. 

Good goal to attempt. Some are running 2015 miles this year. Ha! Not me. I'll probably put in around 600 miles. Want my joints to hold up for years to come.

I just put in 7 miles in the rain. Was hoping the rain would hold off longer than it did.

DeltaBoy

It been great to go back and read and see how the Dr's and the Good Lord touched you and helped you get your health back.  Keep it up Tom.