Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air Raid

Started by AHiD, January 30, 2018, 01:29:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AHiD

Why does everyone on Hogville say that you need to run the ball to win in the SEC? If you look at teams like the New England Patriots, you'll notice that they aren't much of a running team. However, they're able to compete for Super Bowls almost every year. If you can play for Super Bowls without much of a running game, then you shouldn't need one to compete in the SEC.
My name...is Jerruh

RME

hogfan14

Sure let's go find the next Tom Brady

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on January 30, 2018, 01:29:04 pm
Why does everyone on Hogville say that you need to run the ball to win in the SEC? If you look at teams like the New England Patriots, you'll notice that they aren't much of a running team. However, they're able to compete for Super Bowls almost every year. If you can play for Super Bowls without much of a running game, then you shouldn't need one to compete in the SEC.
Dumb take.

The Patriots, year in and year out, have one of the most efficient run games in the NFL.  They also have the greatest QB and greatest HC of all time.
All Gas, No Brakes!

RowNorseRow

Comparing THE top tier NFL team who consistently competes for Super Bowls with a bottom/mid tier SEC school is apples and oranges. If we had the same level of talent as the Pats I don't think it would matter what kind of offense we ran. Alabama is a great example. Get the best players in the country and you can change offenses every year and still win championships. That's not us.

steveaustin69

You serious, Clark?  New England ranked 10th and 11th in the league in rush yards and attempts, respectively. You must not watch much football if you think New England doesn't run the ball. 

They also happen to have the greatest QB and coach of all time; that probably helps a tad in competing year after year.

HoggyCat

Quote from: RowNorseRow on January 30, 2018, 01:37:11 pm
Comparing THE top tier NFL team who consistently competes for Super Bowls with a bottom/mid tier SEC school is apples and oranges. If we had the same level of talent as the Pats I don't think it would matter what kind of offense we ran. Alabama is a great example. Get the best players in the country and you can change offenses every year and still win championships. That's not us.

Not to mention it's an nfl to college football comparison.......
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

AHiD

Sure, they might be "efficient" at running the ball. But the Patriots often run when the defense is expecting pass because Tom Brady will have just thrown 3 first downs in a row.

My point being, what prevents us from doing this?
My name...is Jerruh

RazorWest

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 30, 2018, 01:39:38 pm
You serious, Clark?  New England ranked 10th and 11th in the league in rush yards and attempts, respectively. You must not watch much football if you think New England doesn't run the ball. 

They also happen to have the greatest QB and coach of all time; that probably helps a tad in competing year after year.

If you are not a threat to at least run effectively sometimes then you are doomed.  If the defense just has to cover pass then you better have the best QB, WRs and OL in the country

steveaustin69

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on January 30, 2018, 01:45:14 pm
Sure, they might be "efficient" at running the ball. But the Patriots often run when the defense is expecting pass because Tom Brady will have just thrown 3 first downs in a row.

New England ranked 23rd in pass attempts and 11th in rushing attempts. You fundamentally do not understand football or what you are talking about.

I Am Smart

A lot
"Stupid is as stupid does" - Forrest Gump

oldhawg

New England does not play in the SEC.   :}

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 30, 2018, 01:35:14 pm
Dumb take.

The Patriots, year in and year out, have one of the most efficient run games in the NFL.  They also have the greatest QB and greatest HC of all time.

Yep. I just looked it up. This regular season they rank #10 in the NFL in rushing. Philly ranks #3.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PIGGTOWN HAM

You didn't really think this through, did you? Also, I think coach has every intention of running the ball, so...

RME

Ya know, the phrase "they're in a different league" comes to mind here.

In many ways.

Busta_Nutt

I bet your brain is a WILD place.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: oldhawg on January 30, 2018, 02:00:29 pm

New England does not play in the SEC.   :}

Too tough for them...................couldn't beat Bama.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Those first 3 first downs...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

I Am Smart

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 30, 2018, 02:01:55 pm
Ya know, the phrase "they're in a different league" comes to mind here.

In many ways.

FIFY
"Stupid is as stupid does" - Forrest Gump

hogsanity

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 30, 2018, 01:39:38 pm
You serious, Clark? 

Sadly he is serious. He is part of the " thro fuhbawl " crowd that would love to see the run game made illegal. They want 7 on 7.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

colbs

Mike Irwin

Quote from: PIGGTOWN HAM on January 30, 2018, 02:00:59 pm
You didn't really think this through, did you? Also, I think coach has every intention of running the ball, so...
Joe Craddock, the new OC, grew up in Alabama watching SEC football. He said at his presser that you have to run the ball effectively to win the the SEC and Arkansas has every intention of doing so.

HappyFan

I don't know, maybe the ability to throw 3 first down passes in a row.

racinghog

Kentucky ran the Air Raid, by its inventor, and how did they finish?

steveaustin69

Quote from: racinghog on January 30, 2018, 04:17:57 pm

If you are referring to last year they finished better than Arkansas.  Neither Mark Stoops nor Eddie Gran invented the Air Raid offense.

If you are referring to Mike Leach's stint as an OC at Kentucky they finished 12-11 during his tenure. Arkansas finished 13-10 in the same time span. They had a very prolific offense (there's a reason Tim Couch got drafted number 1.) They lost games due to their defense giving up 170 rushing yards per game and 28 points per game.

Leach has averaged 7 wins a season at Texas Tech and Washington State; teams that are, to say the least, historically not that great. He's 26-13 in his last three years; he's a pretty good football coach.

I don't think the point you were trying to make makes any sense.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 30, 2018, 02:02:36 pm

What if.....  there was an "Ultimate Bowl" every year between the Super Bowl champions and the NCAA National Champions?    Would be interesting don't ya think?
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Hoggish1

What planet are you on?

Hawgphat

Quote from: DLUXHOG on January 30, 2018, 04:49:46 pm
What if.....  there was an "Ultimate Bowl" every year between the Super Bowl champions and the NCAA National Champions?    Would be interesting don't ya think?

Such a series of exhibition games were actually held on an annual basis about a half century ago, pitting a team composed of all-star college talent against a professional team.  I recall that the college team actually WON one such game one year.  That series was discontinued long ago.

RockyMtnHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 30, 2018, 02:02:36 pm

Even the worst team in the NFL would beat Bama.  Now if that worst team is Cleveland I might have to take that back.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

jcbville

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: racinghog on January 30, 2018, 04:17:57 pm

Leach and Mumme both give credit to Lavell Edwards at BYU as the inventor of the "air raid" style offense.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: RockyMtnHog on January 30, 2018, 05:47:27 pm
Even the worst team in the NFL would beat Bama.  Now if that worst team is Cleveland I might have to take that back.

Lighten up Francis, it was a joke.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DLUXHOG on January 30, 2018, 04:49:46 pm

Must be played in WMS to appease those not willing to go anywhere else to see it.

racinghog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 30, 2018, 05:58:58 pm
Leach and Mumme both give credit to Lavell Edwards at BYU as the inventor of the "air raid" style offense.
Well influenced for sure but the two you mentioned are most responsible for it origin. In fact Hal Mumme was doing many of those concepts at Copperas Cove HS in Texas.

3Scoreand10

D Royal once said that when you throw the ball, 3 things can happen, and 2 of them are bad.

racinghog

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 30, 2018, 04:44:42 pm
If you are referring to last year they finished better than Arkansas.  Neither Mark Stoops nor Eddie Gran invented the Air Raid offense.

If you are referring to Mike Leach's stint as an OC at Kentucky they finished 12-11 during his tenure. Arkansas finished 13-10 in the same time span. They had a very prolific offense (there's a reason Tim Couch got drafted number 1.) They lost games due to their defense giving up 170 rushing yards per game and 28 points per game.

Leach has averaged 7 wins a season at Texas Tech and Washington State; teams that are, to say the least, historically not that great. He's 26-13 in his last three years; he's a pretty good football coach.

I don't think the point you were trying to make makes any sense.
Well I asked a question and you answered with stats. I thank you for that as it referenced the SEC and the air raid offense. Hal Mumme was using the beginnings of the air raid in HS in Texas. In short even with the #1 overall NFL draft pick Kentucky couldn't win their division.

steveaustin69

Quote from: racinghog on January 30, 2018, 08:16:33 pm
Well I asked a question and you answered with stats. I thank you for that as it referenced the SEC and the air raid offense. Hal Mumme was using the beginnings of the air raid in HS in Texas. In short even with the #1 overall NFL draft pick Kentucky couldn't win their division.

1. Do you really think that roster had enough talent to compete with Tennessee?
2. That was 20 years ago. Wouldn't you say college football and offense in general has changed substantially in the past two decades?
3. Did you miss the part where their defense couldn't stop a nosebleed?

racinghog

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 30, 2018, 08:40:03 pm
1. Do you really think that roster had enough talent to compete with Tennessee?
2. That was 20 years ago. Wouldn't you say college football and offense in general has changed substantially in the past two decades?
3. Did you miss the part where their defense couldn't stop a nosebleed?
1. No, but then I believe in the total team. Offense, defense, and special teams.
2. Evolved yes, changed no. It is still the same game with the same principles.
3. Well that should show the "offense is the only thing" folks on here. But probably won't.
4. Why are we discussing air raid anyway, Coach Morris doesn't run this any way.

steveaustin69

Quote from: racinghog on January 30, 2018, 08:49:01 pm
1. No, but then I believe in the total team. Offense, defense, and special teams.
2. Evolved yes, changed no. It is still the same game with the same principles.
3. Well that should show the "offense is the only thing" folks on here. But probably won't.
4. Why are we discussing air raid anyway, Coach Morris doesn't run this any way.

Agreed. Wish more people got this.

Hogvillage Idiot

Not to bash, but this is not a very smart analysis.
"Winning is like shaving - do it every day or you wind up looking like a bum."

Jack Kemp

Tejano Jawg

The great quarterback (and passing game) is essential in the NFL. Even still, really good teams have solid running games.

In the college game, you can kinda flip the priority. But you can't do without both.

Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

AHiD

This is what's known as top tier trolling
My name...is Jerruh

MissippHog

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on January 30, 2018, 11:54:23 pm
How old are you?  If you're over 12 years old you should be ashamed.  And there was nothing "top tier" about your post.

Russ22

Didn't the Pats seal a win against Pittsburgh by running the ball on 3rd & 9 when everyone in the universe knew they were going to run it.
For the latest Arkansas High School 7-on-7 football news:

http://7on7football.blogspot.com/

hawg66

Quote from: hogfan14 on January 30, 2018, 01:33:51 pm
Sure let's go find the next Tom Brady
now I'm excited 😜

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: racinghog on January 30, 2018, 07:57:15 pm
Well influenced for sure but the two you mentioned are most responsible for it origin. In fact Hal Mumme was doing many of those concepts at Copperas Cove HS in Texas.

I wonder where he got some of the concepts he used at that high school.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: 3Scoreand10 on January 30, 2018, 08:03:46 pm
D Royal once said that when you throw the ball, 3 things can happen, and 2 of them are bad.

One thing he forgot was the probability of any one of those three things happening.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on January 30, 2018, 11:54:23 pm

Baaahahahaha...top tier trolling?! No...you just made a dumb comment and everyone showed you how dumb it was...that's NOT trolling...

It seems more like you're the guy in a group who made a dumb statement then realized how dumb it was due to everyone's reactions and quickly resorted to "Ummmm...I gotcha...heh heh...what? You thought I was serious? Psssh...heh heh..."
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Russ22

Quote from: 3Scoreand10 on January 30, 2018, 08:03:46 pm

(1) Why is an incomplete pass bad?
(2) Why are you worried about what some coach from the 1960s said about it?

Football has evolved tremendously since Royal offered ~100 scholarships/year just to starve teams in this region of players that could be utilized in beating Texas.
For the latest Arkansas High School 7-on-7 football news:

http://7on7football.blogspot.com/