Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Transfer limit?

Started by ShadowHawg, September 06, 2017, 12:27:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowHawg

I saw where Gonzaga got San Jose St's leading scorer to transfer in over the weekend. The Zags seem to be building their program around transfers these days. It's literally assembling a collegiate all star team of established college players from the rosters of other schools.

Transfers are at all time highs in college basketball. While I am not for restricting a player's ability to transfer, I am against programs loading their rosters with them.

I would love to see a limit of 3 total lateral transfers on a roster with no more than 1 taken in the same season.

What do you guys think?

rzrbkman

There should be no limit as long as the teams are following the current rules.

Hawg Red

What is the reason for limiting the number of transfers on a team?

niels_boar

There's an inherent conflict here that makes any transfer rules problematic. On one hand, any student-athlete should have the right to better their situation as they see fit. On the other hand, the fact that most transfers have to sit out a year is recognition that it is untoward for power teams to tamper with and recruit away the players of mid-majors or any other team in order to use them as a minor-league development program.  Rights of the player versus fair competition.  The mid-majors presumably used a lot of resources to evaluate, sign, and develop a player.  They get penalized for doing a good job with a player that power teams wouldn't initially give the time of day.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

Hawg Red

Quote from: niels_boar on September 06, 2017, 09:33:42 am
There's an inherent conflict here that makes any transfer rules problematic. On one hand, any student-athlete should have the right to better their situation as they see fit. On the other hand, the fact that most transfers have to sit out a year is recognition that it is untoward for power teams to tamper with and recruit away the players of mid-majors or any other team in order to use them as a minor-league development program.  Rights of the player versus fair competition.  The mid-majors presumably used a lot of resources to evaluate, sign, and develop a player.  They get penalized for doing a good job with a player that power teams wouldn't initially give the time of day.

Pay the players and we can talk about where kids can and can't transfer to. Also, have y'all seen that the NCAA is considering letting players transfer with immediate eligibility? I see it as another step in delaying paying players. Another concessionary "freedom." 

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 06, 2017, 09:47:38 am
Pay the players and we can talk about where kids can and can't transfer to. Also, have y'all seen that the NCAA is considering letting players transfer with immediate eligibility? I see it as another step in delaying paying players. Another concessionary "freedom."

Not talking about limiting players. There are 300+ teams they could transfer to in what I am suggesting.

The limits are on institutions. Not allowing schools to build all star teams from transfers is the purpose for the rule that doesn't allow schools to actively recruit from rosters of other schools.

The current rules are no longer working. Schools can still get key transfers. Kids can still leave and choose from any interested institutions.

My suggestion would return things to 1990 type levels of transfers. Players weren't being oppressed with regards to transferring back then and wouldn't be with what I am suggesting either.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 06, 2017, 10:13:37 am
Not talking about limiting players. There are 300+ teams they could transfer to in what I am suggesting.

The limits are on institutions. Not allowing schools to build all star teams from transfers is the purpose for the rule that doesn't allow schools to actively recruit from rosters of other schools.

The current rules are no longer working. Schools can still get key transfers. Kids can still leave and choose from any interested institutions.

My suggestion would return things to 1990 type levels of transfers. Players weren't being oppressed with regards to transferring back then and wouldn't be with what I am suggesting either.

When you put restrictions on the institutions, you're also restricting the players. If an institution wants to have all transfers players, I don't see the problem. Should Calipari be limited in how many freshmen players he signs?

Again, why are we against programs loading their rosters with transfers? That's a very risky strategy, no? I don't see it as something plaguing college basketball.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 06, 2017, 10:27:25 am
When you put restrictions on the institutions, you're also restricting the players. If an institution wants to have all transfers players, I don't see the problem. Should Calipari be limited in how many freshmen players he signs?

Again, why are we against programs loading their rosters with transfers? That's a very risky strategy, no? I don't see it as something plaguing college basketball.

There are transfer rules in place right now to prevent the very things that are taking place with regard to building programs with players currently on rosters of member institutions.

The rules are being circumvented and no longer effective in preventing building programs from other schools' student athletes.

Providing a level playing field for competition is the primary reason for rules in general. Players and institutions are limited in many  ways for this reason, including transfer limitations that are no longer working. The notion that placing limits is inherently damaging to student athletes is highly inaccurate. If anything, rules protect them from unlimited exploitation by institutions and adults who do not have a player's best interests at heart.

High school recruits and transfers are such an apples to oranges comparison it's ridiculous to even try to draw a parallel between them.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 06, 2017, 10:58:00 am
There are transfer rules in place right now to prevent the very things that are taking place with regard to building programs with players currently on rosters of member institutions.

The rules are being circumvented and no longer effective in preventing building programs from other schools' student athletes.

Providing a level playing field for competition is the primary reason for rules in general. Players and institutions are limited in many  ways for this reason, including transfer limitations that are no longer working. The notion that placing limits is inherently damaging to student athletes is highly inaccurate. If anything, rules protect them from unlimited exploitation by institutions and adults who do not have a player's best interests at heart.

High school recruits and transfers are such an apples to oranges comparison it's ridiculous to even try to draw a parallel between them.

Well, of course. What was I thinking? So completely different...

Also, thank you for refreshing my thoughts that I think placing limits on transfers is "inherently damaging."  I always mean to go to the extreme with my wording but it just feels better reading you translating how I really feel. Thank you so much.

RazorPiggie

niels_boar

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 06, 2017, 09:47:38 am

Most athletic departments outside the power conferences lose money.  There isn't as much money to go around as most fans and players believe, not when you start splitting it up.  Cheating at power conferences indicates that certain players in certain sports at certain schools could make a lot of cash in a free market.  However, more common across collegiate athletics is that athletes are already subsidized by the students. A USA Today report in 2013 found that over $1 billion of student tuition and fees was transferred annually to athletic departments in NCAA Division I to support intercollegiate sporting ventures.

Unless stipends are limited a lot of universities will have to give up many, if not all, sports.  There can be a debate over whether that would be good or bad outcome.  However, when college athletics is described as a 'plantation' system, it rarely comes up that a few athletes would benefit greatly from pay-to-play, while a much larger number could possibly lose their scholarships.  Also, TV revenue has been subsidized from bundling.  That seems to be ending as well. 

Athletes should probably be made the same status as graduate research assistants.  They would be employees with benefits and stipends.  For most athletes the scholarship is more valuable than the athletic training, even if they don't realize it.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.