Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 PG Trey Dickerson

Started by mmhogs17, April 11, 2013, 02:54:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mmhogs17

Garrett Tucker ‏@GTuckerF150 1m
Arkansas is the latest school to become interested in 2013 God's Academy (TX) PG Trey Dickerson

6-1/180. Visiting Auburn this weekend. Also visiting West Virginia and Murray St.

nwahogfan1

R we still in the market for a PG?   I hope so but just dont get a good feeling.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 11, 2013, 03:03:09 pm
R we still in the market for a PG?   I hope so but just dont get a good feeling.

Most of the players we're recruiting for 2013 are PGs.

The Hogfather

He looks pretty good.  I know it is just a pick-up game, but you can tell he has good skills.

I'm assuming this is the same guy:

Just hard to tell from videos like that.

CDBHawg

The_Iceman

SCOUTING REPORT
Strengths:
Dickerson is extremely fast with the ball, and he is even more dangerous in transition. To this point, his ball-handling is his biggest attribute, but the shooting is progressing very nicely.
Weaknesses:
With someone that plays as fast as Dickerson does, turnovers do happen. He needs to work on playing under control and limiting the turnovers.

Skills Review
Shooting: Average
Dribbling: Excellent
Passing: Excellent
Rebounding: Average
Intangibles: Good

azhog10

A little background info on him. He's from L.A. and went to a prep school. He was initially a 2012 kid but either had grade issues or a lack of offer isssues. He is on a very very good high school basketball team. Two of his teammates signed at San Deigo St. and Cal. So he's played on a team that really had the talent. I watched a few videos and to me he's the opposite of the other kid that was just brought up the other day. I forget his name. Trey is quick but seems to have a better shot than most. Actually of all the kids I seem to like his videos the most. He shows he can get to the rim and finish. Not as explosive as most, but he also seems to be a very very good passer. On defense he seems to get his hands on the ball and would fit in really well with what we do. Plus he has a little more size. Listed at 6'1.

passinghog

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 11, 2013, 06:03:08 pm
SCOUTING REPORT
Strengths:
Dickerson is extremely fast with the ball, and he is even more dangerous in transition. To this point, his ball-handling is his biggest attribute, but the shooting is progressing very nicely.
Weaknesses:
With someone that plays as fast as Dickerson does, turnovers do happen. He needs to work on playing under control and limiting the turnovers.

Skills Review

I dont mind the turnovers. He's a young player, so those are going to happen. That can be coached. I'd rather have someone with speed and quickness that will push the tempo at the point, since that's a GLARING weakness in our backcourt for next year.

HawgAdvocate

April 11, 2013, 06:58:11 pm #8 Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 07:08:25 pm by HawgAdvocate
He grew up in NYC (Queens), went to prep in California all four years.

He committed to Seattle (WAC) in March of 2012 only to decommit one day later after Duquesne offered.  Niagara, Siena, Loyola, and Montana State had all reportedly offered him at some point before he chose Seattle.

The prep school he originally played at shut down its athletic program prior to his senior year. Perhaps some academic issues involved with him changing schools cost him his offers to Duquesne. Who knows?

I'd be surprised to see him land here.

And just FYI, three hours ago he was asked on Twitter if he had a leader, and he responded "Murray, Auburn, Arkansas."

"In that order?"

"Yep."

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

azhog10

Considering we just offered and just entered the picture it's good to know we are in his top 3. Get him more acquainted with this staff and maybe we have a legit shot.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: azhog10 on April 11, 2013, 07:19:19 pm
Considering we just offered and just entered the picture it's good to know we are in his top 3. Get him more acquainted with this staff and maybe we have a legit shot.
Just because we are interested doesn't mean we offered.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Bubba's Bruisers

Someone educate me on signing period(s) for basketball.  I assume November, when the vast majority sigh, is the early signing period?  Or is it that you just have to sign anytime after the date in November?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on April 11, 2013, 07:42:42 pm
Someone educate me on signing period(s) for basketball.  I assume November, when the vast majority sigh, is the early signing period?  Or is it that you just have to sign anytime after the date in November?
Early signing period is in November and then the spring signing period starts at the end of April
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: GreenbrierHogFan on April 11, 2013, 08:07:36 pm
Early signing period is in November and then the spring signing period starts at the end of April

Thanks.  So this kid is a spring signature.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

azhog10

Quote from: GreenbrierHogFan on April 11, 2013, 07:41:04 pm
Just because we are interested doesn't mean we offered.
That could even more be a reason why we aren't higher in his top three. Hard to put a team #1 if you don't have an offer.

Dogtown Donkey

After Jamal Jones, I'm numb to basketball recruiting for 2013. Not familiar with any of the other prospects and doesn't seem like there's reason to be.

After still recruiting any of the other JUCO guards? Doesn't seem like it.

azhog10

I'm just pulling this name out but maybe some that know  more than me might be able to shed light, but what about Rasham Suarez as far as a JUCO guard. He played for the team that I believe won the JUCO Championship. He was a 2011 recruit which i would think makes him elgible to come to a D1 school. He has some pretty good stats and looks to be a very all around guard. Shoots it well and has good assists and steals numbers. I think he's more of a SG but I'm suprised he hasn't surfaced in their search thus far. Which may be because he isn't elgible yet, but I really don't know. He played on the Puerto Rico Nike Global team. He looks like a pretty good playera nd it seems no real big schools are chasing him.

HawgAdvocate

Suarez went to Faith Baptist (Fla.) prep for a year and was just a JUCO freshman this past season.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

azhog10

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 11, 2013, 09:55:57 pm
Suarez went to Faith Baptist (Fla.) prep for a year and was just a JUCO freshman this past season.
Thanks. I just noticed on Rivals that he's a Class of 2014. Kid looks legit. Big body PG that can reall distribute.

NLRHog92

Regarding Suarez, I read where he played at Findlay Prep a couple of years ago on the same team as Avery Bradley (now with the Celtics) and them transferred to a school outside Atlanta. 2014 JUCO, list him as PG, 6-3 205. Avg. nearly 15 a game, 2-1 assist to turnover ratio, 36% from behind the arc and 70% from the line. I think this kid could be an absolute great player at the DI level, much like a Pierre Jackson for Baylor. Would love to see us go after him!

mmhogs17

Marquette is now showing strong interest in Dickerson.

Danny J

April 16, 2013, 02:59:41 pm #23 Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 03:38:34 pm by Danny J (headhawg7)
I still get the sense that we are scrambling.....

As of right now we have two spots to fill so hopefully we can find two coty clarke's late in the process....

The_Iceman

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on April 16, 2013, 02:59:41 pm

As of right now we have two spots to fill so hopefully we can find two coty clarke's lat in the process....

I don't think scrambling is exactly the right word. During the early period, we did not feel we needed to add any guards, even knowing BJ was likely gone. The reason we are looking for guards is because of the disappointing play from current guards on the roster.

We don't need/have to add guards like we did big men (Harris, Portis, Kingsley). However, if Mike and staff can find a guard they like and think can contribute, they'll look at him. Be we aren't desperate.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 16, 2013, 03:18:48 pm
I don't think scrambling is exactly the right word. During the early period, we did not feel we needed to add any guards, even knowing BJ was likely gone. The reason we are looking for guards is because of the disappointing play from current guards on the roster.

We don't need/have to add guards like we did big men (Harris, Portis, Kingsley). However, if Mike and staff can find a guard they like and think can contribute, they'll look at him. Be we aren't desperate.

Not entirely true. JUCO PG Chris Jones (volume scorer) was a known early target, as was Robert Hubbs. Recall Troy Williams? Even Elgin Cook's name, even as a wing, was tossed around as well in November.

Breems

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on April 16, 2013, 02:59:41 pm

As of right now we have two spots to fill so hopefully we can find two coty clarke's late in the process....

Of course we're scrambling. Our primary targets haven't picked us. It happens.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Danny J

April 16, 2013, 03:46:07 pm #27 Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 03:57:54 pm by Danny J (headhawg7)
Quote from: Breems on April 16, 2013, 03:44:01 pm
Of course we're scrambling. Our primary targets haven't picked us. It happens.
Usually a staff has a backup plan....

Do you have any idea of who is even interested in us? I keep seeing all these names pop up but right now I am not seeing where many if any are interested in us.

The_Iceman

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 16, 2013, 03:25:58 pm
Not entirely true. JUCO PG Chris Jones (volume scorer) was a known early target, as was Robert Hubbs. Recall Troy Williams? Even Elgin Cook's name, even as a wing, was tossed around as well in November.

Need vs. Want. We wanted to add a wing or/and a combo guard and then let the numbers work themselves out. But it wasn't a desperate need for us, unlike adding some length on the inside.

That want started turning more into a need as Mike saw how the current guards were not living up to expectations and performing the way he thought they would.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 11, 2013, 06:03:08 pm
SCOUTING REPORT
Strengths:
Weaknesses:

Skills Review

Well since we set a school record and led the SEC in fewest turnovers, AND now our two most careless ballhandlers (Young and Mick) are gone, I don't mind getting a guy that may turn it over a little bit if he'll create on offense.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 16, 2013, 03:50:22 pm
Need vs. Want. We wanted to add a wing or/and a combo guard and then let the numbers work themselves out. But it wasn't a desperate need for us, unlike adding some length on the inside.

That want started turning more into a need as Mike saw how the current guards were not living up to expectations and performing the way he thought they would.

When you make full scholarship offers and attempt to schedule official visits for those you want, "need" & "want" become the same thing.

We needed Chris Jones then just as we need him now. Of course, he felt he needed Louisville more than he needed Arkansas. 

Hogger

The last point guard the Hogs got from NYC was pretty good for us:

Kareem Reid

Just sayin'.   ;)

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hogger on April 16, 2013, 11:29:57 pm

Kareem Reid

Just sayin'.   ;)

I want another Reid style PG here.

Danny J

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 16, 2013, 11:42:29 pm
I want another Reid style PG here.
I want another Mayberry style PG!!! One can can do what Kareem did as well as shoot.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Hogger on April 16, 2013, 11:29:57 pm

Kareem Reid

Just sayin'.   ;)

Eric Ferguson?

Dogtown Donkey

RazorPiggie

Smithian

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on April 16, 2013, 03:46:07 pm
Usually a staff has a backup plan....
The backup plan was Jamal Jones after we missed out on some bigger names. He chose Texas A&M.

We're on to Plan C. We have two scholarships open and it's late in the process. There is definitely a bit of scrambling going on.

Dogtown Donkey

RazorPiggie

psooie

Got to be some 5th year players around who have graduated but will have an extra year.

Ironhawg

Quote from: Smithian on April 17, 2013, 09:46:43 am
The backup plan was Jamal Jones after we missed out on some bigger names. He chose Texas A&M.

We're on to Plan C. We have two scholarships open and it's late in the process. There is definitely a bit of scrambling going on.

Seems like we're way past Plan C.  More like plan J, K, or L.  More swinging and missing in b-ball recruiting than a weekday Hog baseball game.

Danny J

No argument from me.....

Danny J

Quote from: psooie on April 17, 2013, 10:06:31 am
Got to be some 5th year players around who have graduated but will have an extra year.
Sure not hearing any names pop up....

Would be nice to know but right now I can't name one person mentioned that has shown any interest other than hearing James may want to take a visit. What the hell is the staff doing over there? Surely we are not looking to sign ANOTHER scott/madden/gulley clone are we? That is what Watkins sounds like to me. That is definitely what James is as well. I am not bashing the kids as I think they can offer some things but we need mentally tough guards who can shoot. Period. We don't need any more "hustle" players. That is the reality of the matter. You can't sit out on the perimeter when the other teams zone us and play hot potato because we don't have guards who can or will shoot. I just can't fathom the idea of signing Watkins and going after James as well. Even if Watkins is a walk on it still doesn't address our biggest need which is shooters. Go find another Bell. There HAS to be one out there somewhere. Doesn't have to be Todd Day or Lee Mayberry. He just needs to be able to force the D to honor the shot so we can get the ball down low to our bigs.

azhog10

The backup plan was Jamal Jones after we missed out on some bigger names. He chose Texas A&M after his scholly was pulled.

FIFY

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: azhog10 on April 17, 2013, 10:56:42 pm
FIFY

Interesting claim. You said the same thing about Rickey Scott and his Missouri offer. Although that didn't make much sense considering the timeline of his home visit and official visit schedule.

So you're saying we brought Jones in for a three day official visit only to pull his scholarship offer within 24 hours of him leaving campus?

Oye.

Scott7703

I dont know about pulling the scholarship offer but I do believe it is safe to say that Mr Jones wasnt a good fit.

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

CDBHawg

outlawhogeywells

Quote from: CDBHawg on April 18, 2013, 08:42:24 pm
Sure it wasn't a math class?
wouldn't the math class affect him at A$M also since they are in the SEC?