Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bicycle?

Started by Hogbody, May 08, 2013, 02:59:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogbody

The wife and I are wanting to start biking around for recreation/exercise.

Was hoping to spend less than $200 each on bikes, since we aren't trying to compete or anything. Any recommendation? Should we just buy a couple from Wally World? Used?

Tripod1

Not going to get much for that price.  Just starting out though Wally World bike would be ok.  Why don't u check at your local bike shop just in case they had a nice used bike.  Be sure and wear a helmet please.  2 kinds of cyclist, those who've wrecked and those who are going to wreck.  I'm in the first category!

H&D

You will even have a hard time find a bike at Wally World for that much.  Try pawn shops, do some research and figure out what bike brands are decent, ie Giant, Salsa, Trek, Cannondale, Specialized and what used bike to stay away from, ie Next, Mongoose, Huffy (those bikes suck brand new).  Fit is very important, make sure you are getting the right size bike for your frame.  The wrong size frame, the wrong seat position, ect can make riding a bike painful.  And like Tripod said, wear a helmet.  You just have to ask yourself, will I look dumber with a helmet on or drooling on myself with a head injury. 
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Hogbody

Interdasting. Any tips for determining what size bikes to get? I really don't know the first thing about picking even a half decent bike, except what some of he bigger names are.

Definitely gonna wear a helmet

H&D

Quote from: Hogbody on May 09, 2013, 11:00:09 pm
Interdasting. Any tips for determining what size bikes to get? I really don't know the first thing about picking even a half decent bike, except what some of he bigger names are.

Definitely gonna wear a helmet

Depends on your height.  Sizing charts are easy to google.  The biggest question is 29er or not?  Look at enough bikes and you will figure out what that is all about.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

DeltaBoy

Check out your local bike shop the one I go to gets and restores bikes for folks.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hogbody

Is Schwinn a good brand these days?

H&D

\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

DeltaBoy

Hit Craig's list and you can find made in the USA Schwinns that are the Good Ones.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

warriorlion

Bikes direct.com very good quality for lot less tHan a trek or other big brand.

Hogbody

Been looking on Craigslist

Don't really know what I'm looking for though. Never really had anything but like Walmart mountain bikes

Tripod1

Quote from: Hogbody on May 16, 2013, 05:11:11 pm

Don't really know what I'm looking for though. Never really had anything but like Walmart mountain bikes

Go to your local bike shop and be a shopper even if not planning on buying. I know that is cheating but you need to be educated.  Have them give you all the details on bikes.  As stated above fit is a must so you can find out in the general area what size bike you need.  Would you and your wife be better suited for a mt.bike, hybrid bike, road bike.  at your price point you won't be able to afford carbon, even seat posts and forks.  I admire your desire to start a exercise program for you and your wife but you are going to be out some bucks not only on the bike itself but helmet, shorts and such.  You can get by with basket peddels as a beginner but as you get into it you will want to go to clips which means shoes. Still think you can find a good deal on a used bike if you look around.  Your local bike shop should be able to help you on that.  Use them as much as you can.  You won't stick to a program if you get a piece of junk, are ill fitted, and don't have a general knowledge about bikes.  Bikes have flat tires so you will need a carrying case (under seat) with extra tube and CO2 cartridge.  And you will need a little training on how to change the flat while on the road.  I'm sure there is much more information but you get the point.  Very easy to say I am going to start riding a bike.  Lots go into it in order for it to be worthwhile and also fun.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Hogbody on May 16, 2013, 05:11:11 pm

Look for Swinns , Trek , Peuchot ( French Bikes)  I got a nice 10 speed and it been a good rider.

H&D

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 22, 2013, 08:43:14 am
Look for Swinns , Trek , Peuchot ( French Bikes)  I got a nice 10 speed and it been a good rider.

Schwinn bike haven't been good in many years.  Trek, Giant, Cannondale, Specialized, Salsa those are good bikes.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"