Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Receive thread update notice w/o posting in it?

Started by Three and Snout, November 12, 2015, 04:37:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Three and Snout

I read the sticky and skimmed every thread title in this forum (literally), but didn't find the answer for which I was looking.  If I missed it, I at least tried...I swear! (Google site: search didn't help either)  I believe the "notify" button that is (now?) disabled would send you email notices for new posts in a thread that you had marked.  I understand why this is not a good idea. 

I was wondering if there is away to follow a thread by marking it to show up in a list like "Show new replies to your posts" without actually posting in the thread.  I would like to lurk certain threads and be notified when new posts are made.  Lurking specific threads can be difficult to do as they get older with less frequent updates and pushed off the first page or moved to another forum.  Even when using the "Ignore Boards Options", the "Show unread posts since last visit" list can be overwhelming when looking to see if a specific thread has been updated.

If such a customization doesn't exist (or is disabled for good reason), the only option I can think of is to post a reply in the thread somewhere.  I realize "fluff" posts are against the rules, but could an exception be made for posting something specific, i.e. "following"?  Please let me know if there is something I'm not understanding in the profile set up options or if I'm just missing how to use such a function that already exists.  Or, if the search function is really just hidden until a certain post count, I guess I could "read more, post more"...

Doug

"How can I be notified of replies to my posts" Same answers there applies here. :)
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Three and Snout

So, to easily track any new replies to a thread, I can't just lurk.  I'll have to post something in the thread.  Got it.  Thank you.

Doug

Something useful that contributes to the thread*

:)

(side note: Post counts can go negative... and I'm not afraid to go that route to get people's attention, as the situation warrants)
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)