Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For all you guys who love Mcurdy!

Started by arod2024, February 08, 2006, 09:05:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: stillahog on February 08, 2006, 09:16:15 pm
Brady made a great move to foul Mccurdy.  That is who he wanted at the line.  A freshman who isn't getting any PT off the bench cold.  Good coaching move by Brady. Bad move by Heath.  With that said, Mccurdy is an 83% free throw shooter and should have made at least one.  He looked like he hurried both shots.  Slow down Sean,  the game is on the line.

I agree, we are cursed.

He should have hit at least one.  Can you BLAME the kid???  After Heath REFUSES to play him, and then sends him in in a situation like that?

I am frustrated too.  But this was NOT all McCurdy's fault.  To blame him like the the guy who started this thread did is ignorant and small-minded.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Kevin

Thanks, not.  i try to be honest with the assessment.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Quote from: Kevin on February 08, 2006, 09:19:45 pm
Thanks, not.  i try to be honest with the assessment.

This may be some small evidence that you may end up being right.  And I will buy you a drink and give you props if it is true.  But to put this WHOLE game on the guy is wrong.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

clemensrules01

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on February 08, 2006, 09:19:41 pm
Quote from: stillahog on February 08, 2006, 09:16:15 pm
Brady made a great move to foul Mccurdy.  That is who he wanted at the line.  A freshman who isn't getting any PT off the bench cold.  Good coaching move by Brady. Bad move by Heath.  With that said, Mccurdy is an 83% free throw shooter and should have made at least one.  He looked like he hurried both shots.  Slow down Sean,  the game is on the line.

I agree, we are cursed.

He should have hit at least one.  Can you BLAME the kid???  After Heath REFUSES to play him, and then sends him in in a situation like that?

I am frustrated too.  But this was NOT all McCurdy's fault.  To blame him like the the guy who started this thread did is ignorant and small-minded.
im not blaming him for the first half when we played like shiite. but the bottom line is if he would have hit the free throws, we would have won the game. it is also ignorant and small-minded to not shave for at least another 3 years. nutt is staying.

Hardwork321

McCurdy really show y he doesn't get playing time!!1

Father Swine

I must've been watching a different game. 

Blast the kid for not making free throws, but there are plenty of other piss poor
plays during the game.  Poor rebounding, forced shots, missed layups, etc.

Hell, spread it around.  Don't put it all on the last guy who screwed up.

SwinerBock

Quote from: hogfan98 on February 08, 2006, 09:15:55 pm
Quote from: pulsation of being on February 08, 2006, 09:10:06 pm
come on. Why all of the bragging about how McCurdy should be playing instead of Jefferson. at least Jefferson doesn't choke on the free throws to lose the game.

you've apparently forgotten the alabama game.  he choked at the line AND fouled a guy shooting an off balance 3-pointer.

I'm sure if Mccurdy would have been anywhere close to LSU's guy on their 3pt shot, he probably would have fouled him, too, the way this team's luck runs. 

Fortunately, McCurdy was too slow to get to the guy.

SwinerBock

Quote from: Father Swine on February 08, 2006, 09:24:34 pm

Blast the kid for not making free throws, but there are plenty of other piss poor

Take that advice and apply it to the Bama game... and every other frickin conference game they've lost so far...

WichitaStateRazorback

Sure he may have been cold, but your have a scholarship to play basketball for an SEC team...1 free throw is not asking much.

johnny cash

Quote from: BigoBoys on February 08, 2006, 09:09:04 pm
You are absolutely right!  Put a freshman in at the end who has played less than a minute.  Coaching Error!
I really dont think that putting a 80 pecent free throw shooter in the game when a team is going to foul a coaching error.  Granted he was cold and he is only a freshman.  Everyone states that he is a pure shooter 8 out of ten times he makes those shots tonight wasn't the night.

GO

Quote from: pulsation of being on February 08, 2006, 09:10:06 pm
come on. Why all of the bragging about how McCurdy should be playing instead of Jefferson. at least Jefferson doesn't choke on the free throws to lose the game.

Correct me if I am wrong, Didn't Dontell miss a free throw or two that could have tied or won a game earlier in the year?

Seems like I remember all of us jumping on Heath for having him in there we wanted McCurdy. Well we got what we wanted and he didn't come through. Tuff break for him, yes he should have made one, but he alone did not lose this game. There is plenty of blame to go around from Modica's crazy shot with about a minute left to Dumbtell throwing away the ball I think on our first possession and several time after, to Brewer not taking a decent shot at the end. Brewer is supposed to be the man. He has yet to hit a game winning shot yet.  Tuff Loss

GO

Quote from: BigNasty56187 on February 08, 2006, 09:25:56 pm
Sure he may have been cold, but your have a scholarship to play basketball for an SEC team...1 free throw is not asking much.

The depth of wisdom and knowledge is just amazing.
Thanks for being consistent.

Father Swine

February 08, 2006, 09:38:24 pm #62 Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 09:40:47 pm by Father Swine
Quote from: SwinerBock on February 08, 2006, 09:25:54 pm
Quote from: Father Swine on February 08, 2006, 09:24:34 pm

Take that advice and apply it to the Bama game... and every other frickin conference game they've lost so far...

Let me share a secret with you, I have.  So save the advice for somebody else.

No loss is the fault of one player. 
It might appear so because of a mistake made at a critical time.

Like the football team the blame for this team performance ultimately falls
on the shoulders of the head coach.

mchogfan

Your best FT shooters are supposed to be in the game during a situation like that one.  McCurdy is one of them.  He should have made at least one.  I agree that if DJ would have been fouled and he missed them both, the tables would be turned and all of the Heath Haters would be asking why he was "in" instead of McCurdy.
California...they tell me I was born there, but I really don't remember.

dukefan

Quote from: Galleywinter on February 08, 2006, 09:10:38 pm
All you peps thathave been yelling for him to play. There you have it. Seems I remember people saying a few weeks ago. "Dontell lost the game for us. McCurdy should have been in there." Be careful what you wish for.
EXACTLY, just a couple weeks ago they wanted Mccurdy in to shoot free throws now you Don't?

stan the man

There were two mistakes made.  First one was putting a guy in that doesn't have any confidence in his ability due to the lack of plying time.  I'm sure he has figured out why he has not been playing much.  You don't think that does not affect his confidence. The second mistake was the long time out to give an obviously  spent LSU team time to recoup some of their energy. Two coaching mistakes right there.  I still say this team has no heart because they played bad basketball for 30+ minutes.  Why can;t they play hard for 30 minutes instead of 10 minutes.  If you will go back and look at previous losses you will find they had runs that lasted about 10 minutes and seemed to coast the rest of the time.     

Quote from: dukefan on February 08, 2006, 09:42:22 pm
Quote from: Galleywinter on February 08, 2006, 09:10:38 pm
All you peps thathave been yelling for him to play. There you have it. Seems I remember people saying a few weeks ago. "Dontell lost the game for us. McCurdy should have been in there." Be careful what you wish for.
EXACTLY, just a couple weeks ago they wanted Mccurdy in to shoot free throws now you Don't?

Here come the REAL posters..

Why do you care Duke fan?  Didn't your team win?

WichitaStateRazorback

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on February 08, 2006, 09:36:06 pm
Quote from: BigNasty56187 on February 08, 2006, 09:25:56 pm

The depth of wisdom and knowledge is just amazing.
Thanks for being consistent.
Your constant sarcasm is un-called for

mikeirwin

There is a flaw in the rules that was very apparent when McCurdy was fouled. First of all the foul occurred after he passed the ball. He was shoved to the floor by Glen Davis with  both hands. There has to be something that prevents a team that is behind and without the ball from intentionally fouling the guy they want to take the free throw shots when he doesn't have the ball.
That should have been an intentional foul. Go back and look at it. McCurdy was taken out like he was playing in a freaking football game.
There has to be something that prevents a defender in that situation from intentionally shoving an opposing player to the floor just to send him to the free throw line. I mean you can reach out and grab his arm or grab him by the shorts or bump him but to flat level him ? Come on.

Kevin

if heath does not take the last to, lsu doesn't get to set the defensive and talk about who they want to foul.  Their players foul the first guy to touch it and that would not have been a freshman who has sat on the bench all night.

what lost the game? first half defense, rebounding, that is what lost the game.  you forget how we were pushed around for most of the game. 

i tell you some of you guys have no clue. you just bang away on the keys.  i usually don't take shots but i was called an idiot about one of my post.  that was uncalled for.  bring a point not namecalling.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

hogfan33

It is very understandable for a freshmen to come of the bench, for the first time all half, have nerves, and not shoot the ball well. I understand why heath put him in there, but the veteran players should not have put the ball in his hands. It is in no way Mccurdys fault that we lost tonight. Yes he should have made the free throws, but he is just a freshmen and they do not usually handle pressure well, which is why heath has not been playing him as much as most think he should play. The hogs proved once again though that they can play with anyone in the conference or anywhere else.

Kevin

they were pressing. heath put mccurdy in the middle of the floor, that is were the ball goes to break pressure.  mccurdy was sure to get the ball.

ThaRockArkansas

I just think it serves the people right that were comparing him to the next Steve Nash!  Steve Nash @ no matter what age would have hit atleast one of those free throws. 

If McCurdy was wanting playing time that was his perfect time to earn it!  I guess he'll go back to averaging 1 min per game now.

I think it was a great sub by Heath though.  He went by %.  McCurdy is a better free throw shooter than Dontell and he sure didnt want to hear hog fans bashing him for leaving the Choke Artist Dontell in there.

I just have to say.  Im proud of those kids. To be down as much as 14; with the season they are going through and having the game in their hands, it says a lot about most of their character.  I would be afraid to face a team like Arkansas that has gone through this adversity in the season in the SEC Tourney. 

Go Hogs!

SEC tourney champs! or no NCAA apperance

Father Swine

Quote from: mikeirwin on February 08, 2006, 09:47:07 pm
There is a flaw in the rules that was very apparent when McCurdy was fouled. First of all the foul occurred after he passed the ball. He was shoved to the floor by Glen Davis with  both hands. There has to be something that prevents a team that is behind and without the ball from intentionally fouling the guy they want to take the free throw shots when he doesn't have the ball.
That should have been an intentional foul. Go back and look at it. McCurdy was taken out like he was playing in a freaking football game.
There has to be something that prevents a defender in that situation from intentionally shoving an opposing player to the floor just to send him to the free throw line. I mean you can reach out and grab his arm or grab him by the shorts or bump him but to flat level him ? Come on.

I agree Mike, but it's hard for me to lay the loss at the feet of the officials. 
A 2 point lead with 28 seconds left. 
We should win some of those games instead of losing every game that comes down to the wire.

mountainhog

McCurdy is a freshman ,  dontell is a senior , Thats why dontell gets blame and SM doesnt , if he makes the same mistakes as dontell does when he is a senior  then watch him get blasted. But that aint gonna happen!

hogtheball

This Arkansas team played a horrible 35 minutes - a great 4.5 minutes - and another terrible 30 seconds. 

Everyone on the team and the coaching staff were part of the first 35 (you guys correct me if I'm wrong, but that was the most lethargic looking team I've ever seen on a court). There was absolutely no intensity (except Ferguson - I'll admit he played his butt off the whole game - mistakes and all).

Then, after a commercial break, Heath had everyone playing like a different team - better than I've seen all year.  Brewer was playing intense D (usually he only does this in the first 10 minutes),  The big men were all battling for boards, DJ and Ferguson were working the ball around the perimeter and playing tough D, and everything started to click...

Then, in the last 30 seconds, we had a questionable substitution by the coach, a choke by the freshman guard, a horrible lapse on defense by the senior guard, and a really bad decision to take an off-balance shot at the end...

I saw something after the game that made me feel better than anything else I've seen this year.  Those guys looked devastated to have lost. I haven't seen that from this team before.  This is where we'll find out if we have the makings of a decent team.  They'll either pick each other up - the freshman, the senior, the coach, and the shooter and play with that intensity they showed for 5 minutes....or, they'll fold up and quit.     

I don't care if they lose every other game they play.  If they go down fighting like that last 4.5 minutes, I'll be proud to be a hog fan again.  And we'll have a team that Heath or somebody else can build on next year.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

Table Rocker

It's amazing how we complain about how we can't bring in "big time" recruits, coaches, etc., well the way we crucify FRESHMAN RESERVES among others when they "lose" a game I wouldn't want to play here either. I sure hope players and/or recruits don't read this board, cuz if they do I'm ashamed of the Hogs fans that talk so much SMACK about our own players. We sound like a bunch of Philly fans.

hogband6

I can't believe all you guys that want to still blame a loss like this on Stan!!  Stan's definitely not the one telling them "hey guys, lets turn the ball over on the next possession" or "i want you guys to miss the next three shots without a good look at the basket."  The players have to execute when they need to....PERIOD.  If McCurdy can't come in and contribute right away, then why should Stan put him out there longer.  That's called being a team player.  Yes he's a freshman, but that's why he's on scholarship.....to step up when called on.  Just my opinion, but you can't put losses like this on Stan.

Table Rocker

I agree, hard to blame this loss on stan, McCurdy should've hit at least one FT, being upset at him is one thing, saying he sucks and is a waste of a scholarship is  ridiculous however.

mountainhog

Quote from: hogband6 on February 08, 2006, 11:10:39 pm
I can't believe all you guys that want to still blame a loss like this on Stan!!  Stan's definitely not the one telling them "hey guys, lets turn the ball over on the next possession" or "i want you guys to miss the next three shots without a good look at the basket."  The players have to execute when they need to....PERIOD.  If McCurdy can't come in and contribute right away, then why should Stan put him out there longer.  That's called being a team player.  Yes he's a freshman, but that's why he's on scholarship.....to step up when called on.  Just my opinion, but you can't put losses like this on Stan.
I believe Sean did come in and contribute right away , he had 2 good assist and no turnovers in less than 2 min.  thats why he should have been out there longer. but he got pulled until the last seconds of the game. Its hard for anyone to sit that long and come in , in that situation and make 2 clutch free throws. Im not saying its stans fault either , just bad luck . 

So, do you feel the same way about Jefferson and HIS WHOLE CAREER????  At least he was given a chance.  McCurdy has not been given that same chance.  WAKE UP

hogband6

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on February 08, 2006, 11:25:42 pm

So, do you feel the same way about Jefferson and HIS WHOLE CAREER????  At least he was given a chance.  McCurdy has not been given that same chance.  WAKE UP

I'm awake, and yes I do feel the same about Jefferson.  He can't get it done either.  However, I'm not down on McCurdy.  I do agree that it's hard for a guy to come in like that, but he's supposed to be one of the better free throw shooters, is he not??  Trust me, I'd have much rather seen him than Jefferson.  Besides, McCurdy will get his full chance next year when DJ is out of Stan's eyesight.  I guess I'm just tired of everything, including the players' mistakes, being put on Stan.  No coach can control that stuff and you guys know that.

Quote from: hogband6 on February 08, 2006, 11:29:36 pm
Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on February 08, 2006, 11:25:42 pm

I'm awake, and yes I do feel the same about Jefferson.  He can't get it done either.  However, I'm not down on McCurdy.  I do agree that it's hard for a guy to come in like that, but he's supposed to be one of the better free throw shooters, is he not??  Trust me, I'd have much rather seen him than Jefferson.  Besides, McCurdy will get his full chance next year when DJ is out of Stan's eyesight.  I guess I'm just tired of everything, including the players' mistakes, being put on Stan.  No coach can control that stuff and you guys know that.

Fair enough.  Good point, hogband6, Karma to you.

Hog in MO

Quote from: arod2024 on February 08, 2006, 09:05:36 pm
nice job!

Free throws are fundamental and there's no acceptable excuse for missing two - but even still I don't blame Sean.  He's a freshman with very little PT and NEVER in that kind of a situation.  The pressure got to him and you could see it.  He shouldn't have been in the game at that point.