ched come back pls

Dr. Starcs

Hate to see him go out like this.

ricepig

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on May 23, 2016, 04:42:19 pm

Yeah, but it may have been time.

jfred59

Wish he could stay as a "consultant" but in a lot of ways it was time for a change

Kevin

Thanks for 20 years. Have fun in retirement
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

trippigs

Wish him nothing but the best.....just a tremendous baseball career.

3kgthog

Retiring voluntarily or asked to leave and he just decided he might as well retire?

jry04

Quote from: 3kgthog on May 23, 2016, 05:34:17 pm
Retiring voluntarily or asked to leave and he just decided he might as well retire?
Highly doubt he was asked to leave with how well he has done in his career combined with the recruits we have coming. Clay Henry said he has been battling health problem that has lead to weight and hair loss. I noticed he was slimmer.

Sad to see him go. It will be hard to find a better coach than him, but I am not worried about the future. We will find a great replacement. There are very few programs in the country who can match what we will pay for a top assistant, combined with the pitching history we have. A lot of programs just groaned with this news, because we will be in the running for a top assistant, and any top assistant who doesn't want our job will be able to use it for a raise because we are one of the few that could grab just about anyone.

Ironhawg

Quote from: jry04 on May 23, 2016, 05:48:10 pm
Clay Henry said he has been battling health problem that has lead to weight and hair loss. I noticed he was slimmer.

This is kind of concerning.  I hope he will be ok.

jry04

Quote from: Ironhawg on May 23, 2016, 06:01:44 pm
This is kind of concerning.  I hope he will be ok.
This is what he said, and I have zero information, but he said it was some sort of thyroid problem. It sounded like it is not serious and he will be ok, but possibly a reason he is retiring to make sure it doesn't become a bigger issue with the added stress. That was speculation on his part, though.

ricepig

Quote from: jry04 on May 23, 2016, 06:15:50 pm
This is what he said, and I have zero information, but he said it was some sort of thyroid problem. It sounded like it is not serious and he will be ok, but possibly a reason he is retiring to make sure it doesn't become a bigger issue with the added stress. That was speculation on his part, though.

Jorn says he isn't done with baseball, so there may be more to the story.

LA Football fan

He is the same coach that was here when we led the nation in era.   He has given this program 20 years of numerous accomplishments as pitching coach and his retirement will leave a hole while the new coach settles in.  I just want to thank him for his dedication and support of hog baseball and wish him the best.  A true gentleman and outstanding representative of our program.   Thank you and may God bless you and your family.

jry04

Quote from: ricepig on May 23, 2016, 06:29:49 pm
Clay said he would bet he becomes a regional scout, because a lot of mlb teams will be wanting to use him.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: ricepig on May 23, 2016, 06:29:49 pm

He was not asked or encouraged in any way whatsoever, the stress of recruiting in the off season and calling every pitch, every game can take its toll.

Highly likely that he goes back to MLB in some capacity, he has a lot of contacts there and is very well respected around the league.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

HoopS

Great career!

Go get Wes Johnson

Maddhog

"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

JHicks3636

Coach Jorn, thank you for your contribution to the University. You have truly been a gentleman.

Scott7703

Hate to see coach Jorn go. He did a great job.

I have to believe CDVH has known this was coming. I expect a homerun hire here.

DeltaHog66

What a career.. Was hoping to get my kid up there to a camp before he was done. Sad day. Happy retirement coach.

kckb

Good man, great coach and I am sorry to see him go. Prayers for your health and best wishes for your future Coach Jorn. Thank you for your contribution to Razorback Baseball over the years.

lefty08

I was very critical of the staff handling this season, but this is a sad day for me. Good luck to Dave in the next chapter. Truly a baseball legend to me
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

DeltaBoy

Thanks Coach Jorn and enjoy retirement.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hoglady

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on May 23, 2016, 04:42:19 pm

I'm with you.
For the most part we have survived on our pitching.
Sad to see him depart after his worst year, but it still doesn't take away from his many, many stellar years.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hog.goblin

He's going to be difficult to replace and will be missed.  Thanks for all you've done for the Hogs!

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: hog.goblin on May 24, 2016, 08:17:46 am
He's going to be difficult to replace and will be missed.  Thanks for all you've done for the Hogs!
Absolute truth.  I feel like he is getting to go out on his own terms (as it should be) even though it is on the heels of our worst pitching year in decades.  He needs to go enjoy life after coaching, especially if health is an issue.

I do hope he stays close to the program and DVH.  He is an asset.  Maybe he will run some summer pitching camps or something a little less involved than full time coaching.

JonClaudeVanHam

I will probably catch some flak for this, but I had a feeling that this *should* be what happened at the end of the year around halfway through the season. Usually older coaches start to tip their hand that they're losing a step with a slight drop in production followed by an even bigger one. I thought we saw that last year and then the big drop came this year in regards to pitching. This might be because of his health, and that's terrible news, but I think this is a good move for both parties. DVH is an excellent Head Coach when it comes to getting great assistants. This will be no different.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

Ted77

hog.goblin

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on May 24, 2016, 10:31:44 am
I will probably catch some flak for this, but I had a feeling that this *should* be what happened at the end of the year around halfway through the season. Usually older coaches start to tip their hand that they're losing a step with a slight drop in production followed by an even bigger one. I thought we saw that last year and then the big drop came this year in regards to pitching. This might be because of his health, and that's terrible news, but I think this is a good move for both parties. DVH is an excellent Head Coach when it comes to getting great assistants. This will be no different.

what did you see last year on our way to the college world series?

HognitiveDissonance

I hate to see the conspiracy theories come out every time someone leaves; there's always a 'they were fired' or 'pressured to resign' theory no matter what the story really is.

But in this case, I'm afraid that actually rings true.

Pitching meltdown this year following a year that was overall very successful but pitching-wise was not great. This paired with odd comments that he intended to stay in baseball and not being done. Why leave UA if you're not done working? It's hard to imagine Jorn being fired but maybe there were some subtle or not-so-subtle hints lately that Jorn picked up on. In that case, it would have been his decision, but 'take a hint' it's time for some changes after the debacle this year.

I just don't see a scenario where he would want to keep working in baseball but leave his current job.

jacobp

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on May 24, 2016, 10:42:52 pm
I hate to see the conspiracy theories come out every time someone leaves; there's always a 'they were fired' or 'pressured to resign' theory no matter what the story really is.

Pitching meltdown this year following a year that was overall very successful but pitching-wise was not great. This paired with odd comments that he intended to stay in baseball and not being done. Why leave UA if you're not done working? It's hard to imagine Jorn being fired but maybe there were some subtle or not-so-subtle hints lately that Jorn picked up on. In that case, it would have been his decision, but 'take a hint' it's time for some changes after the debacle this year.

I just don't see a scenario where he would want to keep working in baseball but leave his current job.
What he mentioned he might look into doing in the future is COMPLETELY different from what he is doing now.  Happens all the time that coaches what a change.  He has been in minor league systems before until DVH brought him back to Arkansas.  Maybe he just doesn't feel like he is up to running a top college pitching staff and would like to do some mentoring in the minor leagues.

If he said he was going to stay in college ball, I might (only might) agree with you somewhat.

hoglady

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on May 24, 2016, 10:42:52 pm

There are lots of things he could do in baseball that wouldn't require the workload that a college coach has, plus no constant recruiting. Maybe he's ready to work with men instead of kids. Maybe he wants to scout for MLB.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

ricepig

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: hog.goblin on May 24, 2016, 08:43:20 pm
what did you see last year on our way to the college world series?

Over reliance on one pitcher to win our games and sneaking by with a hurt McKinney and a senior Jackson Lowery. Pitching in no way took us to the CWS last year. His name was Andrew Benintendi. We had a rock solid offense and good enough arms to get by. A far cry from the dominance in pitching that we saw in the years from Schmidt to Baxendale.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

the10mann

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on May 26, 2016, 12:45:44 am
Over reliance on one pitcher to win our games and sneaking by with a hurt McKinney and a senior Jackson Lowery. Pitching in no way took us to the CWS last year. His name was Andrew Benintendi. We had a rock solid offense and good enough arms to get by. A far cry from the dominance in pitching that we saw in the years from Schmidt to Baxendale.

Yeah, some of these guys will drive you nuts with the sunshine pumping.  We all watched 2015.  Van Horn himself said after the 2015 CWS that we didn't have the pitching.  I believe his quote was, "We all knew we didn't have the pitching.  There's not a guy in this room who thought we had the pitching."

Jorn was a great asset for many years, no doubt.  He will be remembered fondly.  But sometimes there comes a time when you have to re-divest.  That time is now.

hog.goblin

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on May 26, 2016, 12:45:44 am

If Taco, McKinney, and Teague would have had posted the same or slightly better performances in 2016 as they did in 2015 we would be in a regional.

What I'm disappointed in, other than the above, is we always have had that one great young pitcher come in and that one veteran pitcher jump into the rotation and give us a solid year.  Neither happened.

The offense was sufficient this season.

The defense fell apart and the pitching didn't show up for the first time in at least 14 years.

jry04

Quote from: hog.goblin on May 26, 2016, 07:17:08 am
If Taco, McKinney, and Teague would have had posted the same or slightly better performances in 2016 as they did in 2015 we would be in a regional.

What I'm disappointed in, other than the above, is we always have had that one great young pitcher come in and that one veteran pitcher jump into the rotation and give us a solid year.  Neither happened.

The offense was sufficient this season.

The defense fell apart and the pitching didn't show up for the first time in at least 14 years.
I would disagree about the young pitcher part. Knight and Campbell were both very good this year. The problem is, we waited too long to start them. Knight was pretty good as a starter early in the year, but had a short leash. Both were great out of the pen in SEC play, but I think they were mishandled some. Campbell and Knight both would pitch multiple scoreless or 1 run innings out of the pen, while McKinney, Taco, and Jackson would struggle to get out of the 3rd or 4th inning with less than 4 runs allowed. It also didn't help we had a ton of errors when the young guys were on the mound. Knight shut LSU down for most of the game, and then gave up the big inning on 2-3 errors that would have got him out of the game.

Campbell pitched 2 scoreless v MSU, and looked good in the 3rd until we committed 3 errors and MSU scored 3 runs. He pitched 5 scoreless v Bama, and gave up 1 hit. Knight and Campbell are going to be studs, and did more than enough to earn being a starter much earlier in the season.

HoopS

Quote from: HoopS on May 23, 2016, 07:34:00 pm
Great career!

Go get Wes Johnson
Thanks for listening. Ha