Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bottom or Another Leg Down

Started by Old Tusk, September 26, 2015, 09:53:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Has the S&P bottomed or another leg down?

Bottomed
3 (27.3%)
Another leg down
8 (72.7%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Old Tusk

Curious about what everyone is thinking.
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

snoblind

ricepig

Quote from: snoblind on September 26, 2015, 12:19:36 pm
I don't have a clue.

Ask me next year, haha. I'd say bottom, until we take out the previous lows.

HawgWild

JoeyCapital

Put me down for "a brief stop on the way down". It may take awhile, but the equity markets can only be this much ahead of the actual economy for so long. The jaws are gonna close.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

Old Tusk

I've got all kinds of clues, but no idea what they are telling me. Lol
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

aristotle

September 28, 2015, 08:12:42 am #6 Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 09:53:56 am by aristotle
I think it's another leg down from here. We test the lows from Oct 2014 in my opinion.

On a related note, Gulf state sovereign wealth funds are redeeming and liquidating positions to make up for a cash shortage. $71B alone being extracted by the Saudis.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/09/27/financial-times-saudi-arabia-withdraws-overseas-funds.html

OPEC may end up blinking before long on it's 'choke them out' policy.

aristotle

Yikes. Not a good time for the worst NONFARM print of the year. Major miss.

The FED is stuck.

Open question to the board. Which happens first?

1. FED raises rates.
2. FED introduces more QE.

je100

Quote from: aristotle on October 02, 2015, 08:43:06 am
Yikes. Not a good time for the worst NONFARM print of the year. Major miss.

The FED is stuck.

Open question to the board. Which happens first?

1. FED raises rates.
2. FED introduces more QE.

Since I can't see the FED raising rates for the foreseeable future, I'll take number two.  Cause, they can't just 'do nothing', right?

aristotle

Quote from: je100 on October 02, 2015, 09:51:07 am
Since I can't see the FED raising rates for the foreseeable future, I'll take number two.  Cause, they can't just 'do nothing', right?

Definitely not forever.

theFlyingHog

Buy Volkswagen.

Disclosure: this poster is long VW

JoeyCapital

Quote from: theFlyingHog on October 04, 2015, 03:40:25 pm
Buy Volkswagen.

Disclosure: this poster is long VW
That avi is the new league leader, btw.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

aristotle

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/13/ex-feds-fisher-fomc-members-have-egg-on-their-face.html

This is why I cannot buy into the stock markets right now. This unprecedented pickle the FED finds itself in. I think former Dallas Fed Chair gets it and I agree with his point. Their uncertainty is spooking the markets. The lack of assertive leadership and fracturing among members erodes confidence. If they don't move to raise rates, this confidence will continue to erode and they will have to come up with new methods (neg rates or more QE?) to deal with this lack of price inflation. If they do move, we will likely see a shock across EM currencies, many of which are trading at or near all time lows against the dollar already. It's the EM currency rout that is the elephant in the room to me.

HawgWild

Let's turn the light on that elephant and raise the rate. Too much drama surrounding these meetings. Never been this low, this long.

aristotle

Well,  here we are 3 months later. Raising a measly .25% on the interest rate (but telegraphed months/quarters in advance) has had serious effects around the globe. The Yuan-USD peg is in trouble (along with all other pegs like Saudi Arabia) under the pressure of dollar strength. The rate hike intensified it exponentially. The equity markets are hitting those 2014 lows. Now the elites at Davos are calling for more QE already while the FED holds steady.

Where do we go from here in the next 12 months, prognosticators?

HawgWild

Dimon's not calling for QE. He said, in essence, that the .25% increase was a non event. Same for .5% & .75%. He recalled when Volcker raised the rate 2.0% on a Sunday with no advance warning.

aristotle

Quote from: HawgWild on January 20, 2016, 09:57:46 am
Dimon's not calling for QE. He said, in essence, that the .25% increase was a non event. Same for .5% & .75%. He recalled when Volcker raised the rate 2.0% on a Sunday with no advance warning.

Dalio did.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/01/20/bridgewaters-dalio-feds-next-move-toward-qe-not-tightening.html

Crazy Cramer's calling them out.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/01/20/cramer-fed-rate-hike-good-for-nothing.html