Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Burks v. Henry

Started by nonoffensiveposter, March 12, 2018, 08:42:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

nonoffensiveposter

If the Hogs can only land one of these two, who would you take and why?

Go.

311Hog

March 12, 2018, 09:15:36 am #1 Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 09:29:37 am by 311Hog
burks burks burks because burks

btw we gotta get both =)

i feel like Burks has been in HS for 10 years he has been good for so long

GoHogzzGo

Both.  ;)

They are both too good, I can't pick. Really really hope we land them.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

HogFoo

First off.  Both.  Secondly both.  Thirdly both.

But, if we had to choose just 1 or just 1 chose us.  I think ,if im being honest, id take Burks.  I still think we could wait another year before we absolutely needed another TE. I am not sure if Henry would be a starter even.  Burks on the otherhand i think will be in the starting rotation the moment he gets to campus. Hed have as much talent and playmaking ability as anyone we have on campus right now.  I could easily see him being a star.  Plus, in this offense, even tho i believe the TE will be used , theyll not be used more than the WRs are used.  So, i pick the player thatll probably be used the most. Which is burks.
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

colbs

Hopefully it's Burks & Henry and not Henry Vs Burks.  It's tough but I'll go with Burks.  I just don't think a player like him comes along like him in the state. 

PintailKiller

Burks all day, every day.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

onebadrubi

All three... oh yeah add the gunnel kid

#1 STUNNA

Burks and its not close. Burks could play at the D1 level at multiple positions if he wanted to. And im a huge fan of Henry. But Burks is a once in a generation type talent.

jgphillips3

Burks.  He is that once a decade, McFadden type player we can't afford to lose.  Henry is really, really good though, but, if it's only one, Burks.

SooieGeneris

I want both, but having to pick one, probably Burks. I don't know of any top TEs we're on besides Henry and we're in on a bunch of WRs, but I have yet to see how this staff will use the TE and Gragg, O'Grady and Cantrell will be juniors. Burks.
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

hoofer

Henry.

If we lose Burks we are on 5 equal or better WR's. Losing a WR recruit won't be hard to replace with this staff.

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: hoofer on March 12, 2018, 11:37:42 am
Henry.

If we lose Burks we are on 5 equal or better WR's. Losing a WR recruit won't be hard to replace with this staff.

Dont think you realize how good Burks is.. we have 5 Henrys on campus right now.

247Hog

Henry.

Burks can play several positions and that goes a long way when you're trying to build depth.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

870rzrback

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on March 12, 2018, 11:46:30 am
Dont think you realize how good Burks is.. we have 5 Henrys on campus right now.
We definitely do not have 5 Henry's on campus right now. That's the dumbest statement I've seen on hogville. And that's saying a lot...

sickboy

Quote from: 870rzrback on March 12, 2018, 01:28:27 pm
We definitely do not have 5 Henry's on campus right now. That's the dumbest statement I've seen on hogville. And that's saying a lot...

It's quite possible that there are even more Henry's on campus right now. My cousin's name is Henry and he goes to the UofA. That's one right there.

IronMountainHog

I'll take Henry all day everyday.

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: 870rzrback on March 12, 2018, 01:28:27 pm
check student directory... we probably have more than 5!!!

#1 STUNNA

AirWarren

Quote from: IronMountainHog on March 12, 2018, 01:48:29 pm
I'll take Henry all day everyday.

I'll save this retarded comment for later use.

#1 STUNNA

woodhog14

Henry.

Wrong.

woodhog14

ArkansasI

For this season in which we seek inclusion, why pose questions for division?

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: ArkansasI on March 12, 2018, 03:31:37 pm
For this season in which we seek inclusion, why pose questions for division?

I want and we NEED BOTH!!!

bennyl08

Obviously it's important to get both.

However, in the spirit of this thread, I'd have to go Henry, assuming that Morris will in fact still use the tight end position in a few years time.

Why?

1. Positional needs. Yeah, we have a lot of TE's now, they'll all be seniors when Henry is a true freshmen save for Gunter. Thus, for 2020, if we don't get Henry, we'd have a RsSr in Gunter (assuming he doesn't end up declaring early for the NFL or transferring between now and then) and whoever we sign in 2019 and 2020. We haven't signed any freshmen TE's since Gunter, so we will absolutely need a TE in the 2019 class if not two.

In contrast, at WR, we'd Seniors in Barnes, Boateng, Enlow, Jones and Warren for 2020 when Burkes would be a 2nd year player along with a Junior in Kolian Jackson and likely a RsSo in Woods. That vs. a Senior in Gunter at TE and literally nobody else.

2. Rarity. List the number of game changing WR's in the NFL and it's a long list. Do the same for TE and it is much much shorter. Heck, even in Morris's own words, the TE is one of the hardest positions to play in his offense while he talks about the quick fast players are a dime a dozen when you don't ask the to have to run routes and instead just catch the easy balls out of the backfield on the screen plays. Burks is a bigger player who is still quick and fast in contrast to players like Stewart, Barnes, and Warren which put him on rarer ground more similar to a Jordan Jones type.

3. Ease of use. Ties in to the previous one a bit. First, a TE is literally a bigger target to throw to than a WR. Secondly, TE's are the best matchups in the game today. You have one Gronkowski or Kelce and you can have a dynamic passing attack regardless of what your WR group looks lie. Further, what advantage does each player give compared to a potentially lesser recruit? Well, we can relatively easily get a WR who can be as good as Burks in that screen and short passing game. Burks big advantage comes from being able to beat press coverage on the outside and run those deeper routes. However, that's pretty useless unless you have a qb who can hit those throws and an OL that can allow you to throw deep as well. In contrast, the elite TE will be getting open down the middle of the field which is an easier throw than the sideline and if you need something quick, can be always open if there's a cb on him.

4. Versatility. This one is less straightforward. Burks offers the ability to play WR or safety and could probably be a CB in a pinch a la Curl though IMO would be better at S than CB, again like Curl. Henry's other position could be DE but I think he'd be a much better TE than DE. However, even at TE, Morris uses them like an H-back. Henry is already a good blocker as well as a good receiver. While he doesn't have the same burst and agility as Burks, I think his straight-line speed isn't too much slower than Burks either who probably runs in the upper 4.4's while Henry looks to be mid 4.5's to low 4.6's. Anyways, Burks would only directly impact the deep passing game. Which indirectly can have a huge impact and open up everything else. However, Henry impacts the screen game by being a genuine threat lined up out wide as a receiver not mention a blocker for the screens. He impacts the run game by being able to run block either in line or lined up as a fullback. He impacts the passing game by being a dangerous weapon there with his speed, hands, and matchup problems. Heck, he can impact the screen game as well by being the receiver of the screen like we saw under Enos.

5. Not really a clever title here, just kind of a sum of all using previous razorback teams as examples. Look at our last two great TE's, DJ Williams and Hunter Henry. In both cases, the WR's they were surrounded with remained a year after they left. Admittedly, in both cases, there were new qb's playing and different RB's in the run game. However, that 2010 team was able to play with the best of them and wasn't blown by anybody. In 2011, we finished with a higher ranking, but were absolutely blown out of the water by the only two good teams we played that year. In part because we were much less efficient at scoring. Similarly in 2015 to 2016. Same receivers, but no Henry (and new qb/rb's). The offense overall remained very potent, but was much less efficient and it was harder to sustain drives and punch the ball in for a td.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 12, 2018, 04:38:04 pm
Obviously it's important to get both.

However, in the spirit of this thread, I'd have to go Henry, assuming that Morris will in fact still use the tight end position in a few years time.

Why?

1. Positional needs. Yeah, we have a lot of TE's now, they'll all be seniors when Henry is a true freshmen save for Gunter. Thus, for 2020, if we don't get Henry, we'd have a RsSr in Gunter (assuming he doesn't end up declaring early for the NFL or transferring between now and then) and whoever we sign in 2019 and 2020. We haven't signed any freshmen TE's since Gunter, so we will absolutely need a TE in the 2019 class if not two.

In contrast, at WR, we'd Seniors in Barnes, Boateng, Enlow, Jones and Warren for 2020 when Burkes would be a 2nd year player along with a Junior in Kolian Jackson and likely a RsSo in Woods. That vs. a Senior in Gunter at TE and literally nobody else.

2. Rarity. List the number of game changing WR's in the NFL and it's a long list. Do the same for TE and it is much much shorter. Heck, even in Morris's own words, the TE is one of the hardest positions to play in his offense while he talks about the quick fast players are a dime a dozen when you don't ask the to have to run routes and instead just catch the easy balls out of the backfield on the screen plays. Burks is a bigger player who is still quick and fast in contrast to players like Stewart, Barnes, and Warren which put him on rarer ground more similar to a Jordan Jones type.

3. Ease of use. Ties in to the previous one a bit. First, a TE is literally a bigger target to throw to than a WR. Secondly, TE's are the best matchups in the game today. You have one Gronkowski or Kelce and you can have a dynamic passing attack regardless of what your WR group looks lie. Further, what advantage does each player give compared to a potentially lesser recruit? Well, we can relatively easily get a WR who can be as good as Burks in that screen and short passing game. Burks big advantage comes from being able to beat press coverage on the outside and run those deeper routes. However, that's pretty useless unless you have a qb who can hit those throws and an OL that can allow you to throw deep as well. In contrast, the elite TE will be getting open down the middle of the field which is an easier throw than the sideline and if you need something quick, can be always open if there's a cb on him.

4. Versatility. This one is less straightforward. Burks offers the ability to play WR or safety and could probably be a CB in a pinch a la Curl though IMO would be better at S than CB, again like Curl. Henry's other position could be DE but I think he'd be a much better TE than DE. However, even at TE, Morris uses them like an H-back. Henry is already a good blocker as well as a good receiver. While he doesn't have the same burst and agility as Burks, I think his straight-line speed isn't too much slower than Burks either who probably runs in the upper 4.4's while Henry looks to be mid 4.5's to low 4.6's. Anyways, Burks would only directly impact the deep passing game. Which indirectly can have a huge impact and open up everything else. However, Henry impacts the screen game by being a genuine threat lined up out wide as a receiver not mention a blocker for the screens. He impacts the run game by being able to run block either in line or lined up as a fullback. He impacts the passing game by being a dangerous weapon there with his speed, hands, and matchup problems. Heck, he can impact the screen game as well by being the receiver of the screen like we saw under Enos.

5. Not really a clever title here, just kind of a sum of all using previous razorback teams as examples. Look at our last two great TE's, DJ Williams and Hunter Henry. In both cases, the WR's they were surrounded with remained a year after they left. Admittedly, in both cases, there were new qb's playing and different RB's in the run game. However, that 2010 team was able to play with the best of them and wasn't blown by anybody. In 2011, we finished with a higher ranking, but were absolutely blown out of the water by the only two good teams we played that year. In part because we were much less efficient at scoring. Similarly in 2015 to 2016. Same receivers, but no Henry (and new qb/rb's). The offense overall remained very potent, but was much less efficient and it was harder to sustain drives and punch the ball in for a td.

Henry is a stud for sure!!! Burks is a stud at about 5 positions... add 20 pounds to Burks and he would be the best tight end in high school. He is an elite talent at more than just Wide receiver. We need both!! Burks will step on the field day 1.

#1 STUNNA

Watch what Morris did with Sutton.. Thats what he will do with Burks.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on March 12, 2018, 03:48:35 pm
I want and we NEED BOTH!!!
I totally agree. We need and want to keep ALL our best instate talent at home. No exceptions!!

IronMountainHog

Quote from: AP85 on March 12, 2018, 02:08:43 pm
Please do. I want both, but Henry is ranked higher in state and nationally. He has the genes as Dad and 2 brothers were Hogs. And to top it off I knew you and your boyfriend STUNNA are so blinded by your Warren bias that you would post some stupid rebuttal, and you did. You posted your opinions, but you girls attack anyone who doesn't agree with yours. I hope Burks comes here, but 6'4 and 180 lb WRs are a dime a dozen.

trphog

I'll have my cake and eat it too

IronMountainHog

Quote from: AP85 on March 12, 2018, 02:08:43 pm
I would have a book for every ignorant comment you make.

hoofer

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on March 12, 2018, 11:46:30 am

No we don't. And none of those TE's will be on campus in 2 years when we need Henry. But, we will always have plenty of WR's, even at Burks talent level. You are only obsessed with Burks because he's a known quantity in Arkansas. This staff is on several players equal to or better than Burks this year, and wlll be in 2020 and 2021. I'm not worried about WR talent, we are about to have a ton of it.

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: IronMountainHog on March 12, 2018, 06:16:10 pm
Please do. I want both, but Henry is ranked higher in state and nationally. He has the genes as Dad and 2 brothers were Hogs. And to top it off I knew you and your boyfriend STUNNA are so blinded by your Warren bias that you would post some stupid rebuttal, and you did. You posted your opinions, but you girls attack anyone who doesn't agree with yours. I hope Burks comes here, but 6'4 and 180 lb WRs are a dime a dozen.
such a sensitive soul... lol... Burks is about 220 lbs btw... have you seen both in person? If you haven't it's not close even though you want it to be.. lol

thebignasty

Quote from: IronMountainHog on March 12, 2018, 06:22:13 pm
I would have a book for every ignorant comment you make.

It would be multi volume.

That said, give me Burks.

#1 STUNNA

And once again i think Henry is a stud and a must get for the hogs.

bennyl08

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on March 12, 2018, 05:28:34 pm
Henry is a stud for sure!!! Burks is a stud at about 5 positions... add 20 pounds to Burks and he would be the best tight end in high school. He is an elite talent at more than just Wide receiver. We need both!! Burks will step on the field day 1.

You think Burks would be the best TE in HS at 210 lbs? Because he is currently listed at 190 according to hudl.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 12, 2018, 07:28:00 pm
You think Burks would be the best TE in HS at 210 lbs? Because he is currently listed at 190 according to hudl.

Last i have heard is he is at more than 210 lbs. i believe rivals has him listed at 217 which is what his body looks like in person.

bennyl08

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on March 12, 2018, 07:35:50 pm
Last i have heard is he is at more than 210 lbs. i believe rivals has him listed at 217 which is what his body looks like in person.

Ah, I never bother with Rivals unless I'm trying to get a compete picture of a recruit's offers or stars or something.

A lot of what rivals posts turns out to be hearsay (such as listing the forty times a coach claims...). However, HS athlete's weights do tend to change and at that age, a few months difference in reported weight can lead to being significantly off. i.e. he could very well be at 217. Though, that'd be nearly 30 pounds heavier which for a WR is pretty significant.

Heck, I may have to change my answer to Burks because by the time he gets to campus, he could be the best LT we've every had.

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 12, 2018, 07:40:15 pm
Ah, I never bother with Rivals unless I'm trying to get a compete picture of a recruit's offers or stars or something.

A lot of what rivals posts turns out to be hearsay (such as listing the forty times a coach claims...). However, HS athlete's weights do tend to change and at that age, a few months difference in reported weight can lead to being significantly off. i.e. he could very well be at 217. Though, that'd be nearly 30 pounds heavier which for a WR is pretty significant.

Heck, I may have to change my answer to Burks because by the time he gets to campus, he could be the best LT we've every had.

Or the linebacker or safety we all pray to have. Look at pics of Burks and Henry. He ry is bigger but it's not by much.

thebignasty

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on March 12, 2018, 07:24:35 pm
And once again i think Henry is a stud and a must get for the hogs.
Just as much potential as his brother, who is currently on the cusp of being an all pro caliber tight end.

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: thebignasty on March 12, 2018, 08:20:30 pm
Just as much potential as his brother, who is currently on the cusp of being an all pro caliber tight end.
He is a must get. Have said it multiple times. In my opinion Burks is a once in a decade type talent. That does not mean i don't think Henry will be great. But if you have seen both play in person Burks stands out in every phase of the game. The crazy thing about the kid is he cares nothing about the recruiting process and i mean that in a good way.

Dark Helmet Hog

Didn't read the entire thread. Did anyone say we need both?

;D

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 12, 2018, 07:40:15 pm

this video Hembree says he's 6'3 210... i would imagine the 190 hasn't been updates since his freshman or sophomore year. http://katv.com/sports/content/landers-award-finalist-treylon-burks-warren

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on March 12, 2018, 08:47:19 pm
Didn't read the entire thread. Did anyone say we need both?

;D
Bingo. I did indeed.

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on March 12, 2018, 05:44:50 pm
Watch what Morris did with Sutton.. Thats what he will do with Burks.

Burks is perfect for this offense. CCM has built an offense that needs one big, athletic WR to function to its fullest extent, and Burks is perfect for it. While a game-changing tight end is vital, you can argue that Burks would be the focal piece of this offense.
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

colbs

Henry.

Have you seen Burks play? 

prattville pig

I hope that either one does not read this thread.
Life's too short to last long.

GoHogzzGo

For what it's worth, I would put Darius Thomas and Stacey Wilkins right up there with Burks and Henry in importance. We have not had a good Oline for several years and is desperately needed to pass or run effectively.

It cannot be overstated, the massive opportunity CCM has with this 2019 in state group if he can keep them in state and put a bunch of Ws on the board.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

Pig in the Pokey

Both are great; Burks is The Man.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

liljo

I'm hoping BOTH not only come to Arkansas, but become legends in Arkansas Razorbacks lore.

I think that is a very strong possibility!
GO HOGS! ::hornsdown:: :D ::hornsdown::
Slow down, son. You'll ride past a lot more good stuff than you'll ever catch up to.