Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heard it from a friend who

Started by HognotinMemphis, September 13, 2017, 10:38:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

heard from a friend who heard it from another that during the annual job review earlier this year Bielema and Long agreed on a negotiated settlement if this year is same or worse than last year.

I know this is total rumor but wonder if it is possible. It seems plausible to me as an average fan given Bielema's first 4 seasons at Arkansas, but I have no idea if this kind of arrangement is ever discussed ahead of time by coaches and AD's under certain circumstances.

I did not want to mess up REO's lyrics but the friends are relatives of mine and the "another" is someone in the upper hierarchy at the U of A. 
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

311Hog

Quote from: rhames on September 13, 2017, 10:40:35 am
Why would he agree to that?

because he is a good guy, and isn't that obtuse to ignore blatant failure if it happens.

rhames

Quote from: 311Hog on September 13, 2017, 10:41:29 am
because he is a good guy, and isn't that obtuse to ignore blatant failure if it happens.

I mean if I had 15MM on the table I'm not letting any of that go

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

Hog Fan...DOH!

You do that when you can readily get another job with a similar salary. 

All it takes is a hand-written note.   

rhames

311Hog

Quote from: rhames on September 13, 2017, 10:44:17 am

oh yeah i mean i would have a hard time making that deal to, but i do not see Beliema like i see Nutt.  Nutt would not let that money go because he would be out of the coaching world for awhile.  Beliema probably gets hired right up back in the Big 10 or some such because people would be like "its hard to win in the SEC at Ark. etc. etc".

jst01

Hypothetically, Maybe he sees that its way too hard to meet expectations here with the type of players you can get, playing against the competition in this conference. He's thinking, if I cant get above 6-7 wins in year 5 then I should probably just go coach somewhere else.

Hog-Corleone

I'm not either, I might agree to an amount that is less than the 15MM, but not less than the buyout after January 1.  This would be only if i thought, or knew, they were gonna let me go then to save $$$.  That is the only way, not because i would have more "integrity" than any of our prior coaches...
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

rhames

Quote from: jst01 on September 13, 2017, 10:47:29 am
Hypothetically, Maybe he sees that its way too hard to meet expectations here with the type of players you can get, playing against the competition in this conference. He's thinking, if I cant get above 6-7 wins in year 5 then I should probably just go coach somewhere else.

Yeah and get paid his buyout.

hogcard1964

...heard it from another you've been messin' around.

Gonzo

Dammit, here I was hoping for an REO diversion from all the brouhaha.........haha

Go Hogs!

GuvHog

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on September 13, 2017, 10:45:10 am
You do that when you can readily get another job with a similar salary. 

All it takes is a hand-written note.   

Yep, it allows him to resign instead of getting fired which looks better when trying to get another job.

Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 13, 2017, 10:38:48 am
heard from a friend who heard it from another that during the annual job review earlier this year Bielema and Long agreed on a negotiated settlement if this year is same or worse than last year.

I know this is total rumor but wonder if it is possible. It seems plausible to me as an average fan given Bielema's first 4 seasons at Arkansas, but I have no idea if this kind of arrangement is ever discussed ahead of time by coaches and AD's under certain circumstances.

I did not want to mess up REO's lyrics but the friends are relatives of mine and the "another" is someone in the upper hierarchy at the U of A.
oh, man, if this turns out to be true I'll never darn post you again.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

jst01

Quote from: rhames on September 13, 2017, 10:49:38 am

Yeah and get paid his buyout.

I meant if he is ready to get out of this place too, then maybe its worth leaving a year or two earlier and negotiate the buyout to be less. Both parties win if it comes to that. His wife might have said "if things start getting bad around here and the honeymoon is over, I'm out of here".  Who knows a persons real motivations.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: rhames on September 13, 2017, 10:40:35 am
Why would he agree to that?
Agree to what? I don't know what the "negotiated settlement" is. I assume it is something they both could live with, further assuming something like this really happened.

Hypothetical:

Long: Rough 4 years, Bret. Fan base is getting restless. Stadium not as full anymore.  If you have another 3-5 or worse and lose only competitive non-conference game we play this year, you will have not made any headway here in 5 years. Like what you are doing with the academic side and the behavior side, but we have to win more games than you have. Can't have a 5 year conference record of 13-27. We fired Danny Ford after 4 seasons and he had a better conference record better than you.

Bielema: I think next season will be better with new recruiting class coming in.

Long: Sure you do. If I were you, I would too.

Bielema: What do you mean?

Long: I mean that you will think that every year regardless.

Bielema: What do you want from me?

Long: How about getting this out of the way up front?

Bielema: Huh?

Long: Let's talk to Jimmy and see what we can come up with.

Bielema: Jimmy?

Long: You know, Sexton. Your agent in Memphis.

Bielema: Oh, right. Okay. Call him and get back to me.

Long: Will do.

(Long calls Sexton and after multiple discussions and drafts, they arrive at a "negotiated settlement" that has Bielema resigning after Jimmy nabs him the head coaching job at either Kansas or Vanderbilt. Arkansas gives him $5 million as a parting gift.)
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

The Hawg Marshal

I won't get my hopes up, but it sounds plausible.

rhames

Quote from: jst01 on September 13, 2017, 10:54:05 am
I meant if he is ready to get out of this place too, then maybe its worth leaving a year or two earlier and negotiate the buyout to be less. Both parties win if it comes to that. His wife might have said "if things start getting bad around here and the honeymoon is over, I'm out of here".  Who knows a persons real motivations.

Fair. Just don't think it happens

Großer Kriegschwein

If he goes 3-9, I think he'll resign before he can get fired.
This is my non-signature signature.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 13, 2017, 11:00:30 am
If he goes 3-9, I think he'll resign before he can get fired.
A good agent makes it easier for a head coach to leave a job. Bielema has the best in the business. Jimmy will find Bret another decent head coaching position, probably at another P5 program. Bielema will have to come to grips that he just cannot get it done at Arkansas. When that happens, he will take off.

HawgTrough

Bielema will milk the buyout until Ferentz retires.
WPS

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 13, 2017, 11:03:27 am
A good agent makes it easier for a head coach to leave a job. Bielema has the best in the business. Jimmy will find Bret another decent head coaching position, probably at another P5 program. Bielema will have to come to grips that he just cannot get it done at Arkansas. When that happens, he will take off.

It'll be sorta like Nutt's resignation and move to Ole Miss.

Would be hilarious if that's where he ended up.
This is my non-signature signature.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: HawgTrough on September 13, 2017, 11:05:53 am
The buyout will always be there even if it isn't. Most do not understand that a buyout is never a deal breaker or maker. If a program wants a coach gone, he is gone. They usually take care of them, as you saw with Nutt.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: HawgTrough on September 13, 2017, 11:05:53 am
I'm thinking Bill Snyder could retire after this year. Would be a good spot for Brett.

DeltaBoy

Yes Bret could leave and play it too hard to win at Arkansas using s Big 10 format card.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

rhames

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 13, 2017, 11:07:17 am
The buyout will always be there even if it isn't. Most do not understand that a buyout is never a deal breaker or maker. If a program wants a coach gone, he is gone. They usually take care of them, as you saw with Nutt.

Wasn't that like 3MM? We are talking 15MM

Hoggish1

This is quite possible for Bielema since he is no doubt a decent human being.  The last two coaches we've had here and I'm not including smiley, would not let that $ go.

jgphillips3

If Bielema EVER wants to coach at the highest level again, resigning for a negotiated buyout is EXACTLY what he should do.  If he wants to retire, then he would let them fire him.

DoctorSusscrofa

It wouldn't surprise me.  Buyouts are for fights.  If the boss wants to fire you and you want to make it difficult.  BB might have wanted the buyout early on and it might have served a purpose in order to discourage poaching by another school.  Or it might have been a good talking point to tell recruits "I'm not going anywhere."  If BB can't improve on last year (after not improving on the year before), he might would rather leave on good terms, and still have Long's recommendation saying that even though he couldn't salvage Arkansas in the SEC West, he's still  somebody's great hire.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

HotlantaHog

Anything is possible, but I don't think CBB is that stupid that he would leave money on the table.

hawgon

I think that this what happens but I'm more inclined to believe that Bielema announces "health issues" and take a year or two sabbatical where he does TV.

IronHog

The only way he gets the 15m is a hard firing where he is unceremoniously dismissed.

Nobody wants that........OP post is not only plausaible but highly likely given BB has done well overall except actually winning games.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Hoggish1

This is quite possible for Bielema since he is no doubt a decent human being.  The last two coaches we've had here and I'm not including smiley, would not let that $ go.
Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 13, 2017, 10:54:11 am
Agree to what? I don't know what the "negotiated settlement" is. I assume it is something they both could live with, further assuming something like this really happened.

Hypothetical:

Long: Rough 4 years, Bret. Fan base is getting restless. Stadium not as full anymore.  If you have another 3-5 or worse and lose only competitive non-conference game we play this year, you will have not made any headway here in 5 years. Like what you are doing with the academic side and the behavior side, but we have to win more games than you have. Can't have a 5 year conference record of 13-27. We fired Danny Ford after 4 seasons and he had a better conference record better than you.

Bielema: I think next season will be better with new recruiting class coming in.

Long: Sure you do. If I were you, I would too.

Bielema: What do you mean?

Long: I mean that you will think that every year regardless.

Bielema: What do you want from me?

Long: How about getting this out of the way up front?

Bielema: Huh?

Long: Let's talk to Jimmy and see what we can come up with.

Bielema: Jimmy?

Long: You know, Sexton. Your agent in Memphis.

Bielema: Oh, right. Okay. Call him and get back to me.

Long: Will do.

(Long calls Sexton and after multiple discussions and drafts, they arrive at a "negotiated settlement" that has Bielema resigning after Jimmy nabs him the head coaching job at either Kansas or Vanderbilt. Arkansas gives him $5 million as a parting gift.)

LMAO.  Do you think Long works like that?  Never forget, he's Whites last hire around here...

ricepig

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 13, 2017, 11:03:27 am

Sexton isn't his agent, unless he's switched lately.

IronHog

Quote from: hawgon on September 13, 2017, 11:16:59 am
I think that this what happens but I'm more inclined to believe that Bielema announces "health issues" and take a year or two sabbatical where he does TV.

He probably needs to do that....

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: rhames on September 13, 2017, 11:14:25 am

Wasn't that like 3MM? We are talking 15MM
If Bret leaves, however he leaves, after this season, he will get nowhere near that $15 million if he wants to be a head coach again.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on September 13, 2017, 10:55:54 am
I get the feeling that he's the type of person that would agree to something like this because he couldn't stand to be at a place where he was so greatly disliked and the entire fanbase was calling for his head. That being said, I know Bret is under the gun, so maybe he'll take it on the run  8)
that's LITERALLY how we got him. Pre arraigned deal, pre season.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

rhames

Quote from: IronHog on September 13, 2017, 11:18:13 am

The only way he gets the 15m is a hard firing where he is unceremoniously dismissed.

Nobody wants that........OP post is not only plausaible but highly likely given BB has done well overall except actually winning games.

Keep dreaming.

rhames

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 13, 2017, 11:20:51 am
If Bret leaves, however he leaves, after this season, he will get nowhere near that $15 million if he wants to be a head coach again.

Explain.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: jgphillips3 on September 13, 2017, 11:14:53 am
If Bielema EVER wants to coach at the highest level again, resigning for a negotiated buyout is EXACTLY what he should do.  If he wants to retire, then he would let them fire him.
Exactly the way it works at the top.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: HotlantaHog on September 13, 2017, 11:16:03 am
Anything is possible, but I don't think CBB is that stupid that he would leave money on the table.
He is not so stupid that he would be a money grubbing fool either...if he wants to work again as a head coach.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 13, 2017, 11:06:41 am
It'll be sorta like Nutt's resignation and move to Ole Miss.

Would be hilarious if that's where he ended up.
then the prophecy will have been fulfilled. Houston Nutt 2.0! O, man!

rhames

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 13, 2017, 11:21:51 am
Exactly the way it works at the top.

You're using leaps or logic to come to an outcome you desire.

IronHog

Quote from: rhames on September 13, 2017, 11:21:35 am

Explain.

Cause that's the way it works.

CEO can ease out and live to fight another day. Get canned hard and it's back to 14 hour bus rides or coordinater

Al Boarland

Quote from: 311Hog on September 13, 2017, 10:41:29 am

Charlie Weiss is a good guy as well.

jrulz83

I've got a source on this too.

If you'd like her take on it you can reach her at 867-5309, ask for Jenny.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: ricepig on September 13, 2017, 11:19:28 am
Sexton isn't his agent, unless he's switched lately.
Ok. I was talking to a friend in Fayetteville who was a 2 year starter on O line for Hatfield and he told me Sexton was Bielema's agent. I was not aware that Sexton was his agent but figured he knew what he was talking about. Maybe not. Thanks.

hawgon

If things go the way they look like they might this year, you have to consider that he and his family are going to want out of town.  It won't be pleasant.  In that situation he would probably see a negotiated buyout as a lifeline as much as anything else.

Tusks

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 13, 2017, 10:38:48 am

stop spreading hope
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

lstewart

I think some version of this will be what eventually happens, but I don't believe it is something that has already been worked out. My guess would be after next year.