"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

jrulz83

Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

clutch

I'm excited to see what Ozuna can do this year.

McKdaddy

jrulz83

Quote from: McKdaddy on March 12, 2018, 01:03:14 pm
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/birdland/goold-lynn-s-smaller-contract-underscores-big-questions-for-baseball/article_464d2dce-85ed-519c-8f21-a8ddf58d08d3.html

Yeah the next round of labor negotiations could get testy. We will probably see players push for  a change if not an outright end to the draft pick compensation. I think teams are way overvaluing draft picks. I'd like to know the dollar value they put on them.

McKdaddy

popcornhog

What would y'all think about Reyes becoming the closer this year?
WPS

hoghappy

I'm glad to see someone start this years thread. Tomorrow's the day!!!

pigture perfect

This is my favorite thread from year to year. Hoping for better results though.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

clutch

Quote from: hoghappy on March 28, 2018, 11:30:58 pm
I'm glad to see someone start this years thread. Tomorrow's the day!!!

I didn't want to start it again this year. I think I started the last 2 seasons and they haven't turned out so well.

McKdaddy

Quote from: clutch on March 29, 2018, 08:33:36 am
I didn't want to start it again this year. I think I started the last 2 seasons and they haven't turned out so well.

Ha, +1

Cotton

Opening Day Boys!!

@NYM 12:10 first pitch

C-Mart vs Thor
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

McKdaddy

Baseball, welcome back, my old friend.

McKdaddy

I've got the Cards at 84 wins this year, which is below most "expert" picks of 85-87 wins.

Cotton

Quote from: McKdaddy on March 29, 2018, 08:52:45 am
I've got the Cards at 84 wins this year, which is below most "expert" picks of 85-87 wins.
I'm going with 88 wins.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

McKdaddy

Cotton

Opening Day Lineup 2018:

Fowler RF
Pham CF
Carpenter 3B
Ozuna LF
J. Martinez 1B
Molina C
DeJong SS
Wong 2B
C. Martinez P

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

McKdaddy

2 years ago at the All-Star break, I assumed Aledmys was our SS for the forseeable future.  Let's hope better things are ahead for DeJong.

McKdaddy

pigture perfect

I'm loving the Holland pickup. I've just wondered what took them so long. Only 1 year $14m. Would have liked 2-3 years.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

pigture perfect

Yadi with the first HR of the season. 2 run shot off of the pole in left. 2-1 Good guys after 1 1/2.

Cotton

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Cotton

Hicks is gonna be fun to watch. 100+ with a disgusting spinner and table top change.

Poor Bowman's ERA is 81.00 lol

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

McKdaddy

To quote TableRocker: "glad baseball is back, but today can go to hell".

pigture perfect

Ugh! Wasn't the best of opening days. Thor has the stuff to be The Cy Young this year, if he can stay healthy and focused.

jrulz83

I'm just about over Carlos Martinez. He's a head case.

Cotton

Quote from: jrulz83 on March 30, 2018, 01:06:16 pm
I'm just about over Carlos Martinez. He's a head case.
Easy buddy... it's the first game of the year.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

pigture perfect

Anyone else just getting killed with smites? Could it be Cubs fans?

jrulz83

Quote from: Cotton on March 30, 2018, 01:42:57 pm
Easy buddy... it's the first game of the year.

I'm not basing my assertion on one game. I've watched his whole career, this isn't a knee jerk thing. I'm not prone to that. I'm doubting he'll figure it out and be the dominant Cy Young candidate his stuff should allow.

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on March 30, 2018, 02:02:58 pm
Anyone else just getting killed with smites? Could it be Cubs fans?

Whatever is wrong, it's always Cubs fans.  :)

Cotton

Quote from: jrulz83 on March 30, 2018, 03:03:37 pm
I'm not basing my assertion on one game. I've watched his whole career, this isn't a knee jerk thing. I'm not prone to that. I'm doubting he'll figure it out and be the dominant Cy Young candidate his stuff should allow.
I've never thought of the guy as a Cy Young type... He's an above average starter, probably a #2 in most rotations.

As far as a head case, he's a young athlete playing a sport in a foreign country that went from poor to millionaire... that's a lot for anybody to deal with. He'll be fine.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

jrulz83

Quote from: Cotton on March 30, 2018, 03:49:03 pm
I've never thought of the guy as a Cy Young type... He's an above average starter, probably a #2 in most rotations.

As far as a head case, he's a young athlete playing a sport in a foreign country that went from poor to millionaire... that's a lot for anybody to deal with. He'll be fine.

His stuff is Cy Young quality there's no doubt. The problem is between the ears and all the "he's playing in a foreign country" stuff is a nonsense excuse. He's been playing in a foreign country for how many years now? The mound is still 60 feet 6 inches away from home plate, the bases are all 90 feet apart, and you still have to throw three strikes to get an out.

He will be fine, but the Cardinals need him to be more than fine. They need him to be the stopper, the 20 game winner (not that wins really matter much to stat geeks), they need him to be sub 3.00 era. He's the supposed and announced "Ace" of their staff and I don't see it from him. Maybe he gets it together, but I'm skeptical.

pigture perfect

Quote from: jrulz83 on March 30, 2018, 03:04:51 pm
Whatever is wrong, it's always Cubs fans.  :)
In my youth, the only worse insult than, Your Mama wears combat boots, was Well, Your Mama is a Cubs fan. Ooohhh, burn.

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on March 31, 2018, 10:06:34 am
In my youth, the only worse insult than, Your Mama wears combat boots, was Well, Your Mama is a Cubs fan. Ooohhh, burn.

I used to not care about hating the Cubs, it was like hating a special needs kid or something. Now though that all their "fans" have come out, I hate them and their fans passionately.

pigture perfect

Today was DeJong day. 2 homers. Ozuna also got his first hit as a Cardinal. Good day. Weaver was better than good today as well.

Cotton

Quote from: jrulz83 on March 30, 2018, 04:06:08 pm
His stuff is Cy Young quality there's no doubt. The problem is between the ears and all the "he's playing in a foreign country" stuff is a nonsense excuse. He's been playing in a foreign country for how many years now? The mound is still 60 feet 6 inches away from home plate, the bases are all 90 feet apart, and you still have to throw three strikes to get an out.

He will be fine, but the Cardinals need him to be more than fine. They need him to be the stopper, the 20 game winner (not that wins really matter much to stat geeks), they need him to be sub 3.00 era. He's the supposed and announced "Ace" of their staff and I don't see it from him. Maybe he gets it together, but I'm skeptical.
It's much much more than playing in a foreign country... It's complete lifestyle changes. Dirt poor to millionaire.  Grew up with no parents.  Lost his best friend (RIP OT18).  On top of being asked to be an ace for one of the biggest teams in all of baseball when he should be a #2 or #3 in the rotation. Call it a headcase if you want, but thats a lot for a kid thats barely 26.

The biggest problem here is the Cardinals trying to make him an Ace instead of going out and getting one.  We've done a fantastic job of growing our own players, but we can't let that pride get in the way.  We held on to Waino as long as we could and this was plan B.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

jrulz83

Quote from: Cotton on April 02, 2018, 08:35:46 am
It's much much more than playing in a foreign country... It's complete lifestyle changes. Dirt poor to millionaire.  Grew up with no parents.  Lost his best friend (RIP OT18).  On top of being asked to be an ace for one of the biggest teams in all of baseball when he should be a #2 or #3 in the rotation. Call it a headcase if you want, but thats a lot for a kid thats barely 26.

The biggest problem here is the Cardinals trying to make him an Ace instead of going out and getting one.  We've done a fantastic job of growing our own players, but we can't let that pride get in the way.  We held on to Waino as long as we could and this was plan B.

Who could they go out and get with better stuff than his? I argue no one. I'm not saying they should cut bait and trade Martinez or anything. What I am saying is that all the "he's our ace" stuff doesn't appear to be working with him. I'm hoping Maddux can work some magic with C-Mart before his next start. I really am hoping that they make me out to be a fool.

On a side note, Wainwright had an impressive spring. I look forward to seeing him pitch when he proves healthy and if that spring success translates to the season.

Cotton

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 02, 2018, 09:00:59 am
Who could they go out and get with better stuff than his? I argue no one. I'm not saying they should cut bait and trade Martinez or anything. What I am saying is that all the "he's our ace" stuff doesn't appear to be working with him. I'm hoping Maddux can work some magic with C-Mart before his next start. I really am hoping that they make me out to be a fool.

On a side note, Wainwright had an impressive spring. I look forward to seeing him pitch when he proves healthy and if that spring success translates to the season.
There's plenty better talent out there, the problem is what are you willing to give up to get it.. and we don't have a lot to offer at this point either...

And when I say talent, I mean the whole package as an Ace... not just physical ability. C-Mart is a perfect 2nd spot in the rotation type of guy.  We need a Wainwright from 6 years ago type shutdown ace to go in front of him... Take the Mets for example.  De Grom is a fantastic #2 but he has Thor in front of him.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

jrulz83

Quote from: Cotton on April 02, 2018, 09:35:23 am
There's plenty better talent out there, the problem is what are you willing to give up to get it.. and we don't have a lot to offer at this point either...

And when I say talent, I mean the whole package as an Ace... not just physical ability. C-Mart is a perfect 2nd spot in the rotation type of guy.  We need a Wainwright from 6 years ago type shutdown ace to go in front of him... Take the Mets for example.  De Grom is a fantastic #2 but he has Thor in front of him.

There's not "plenty" of better talent. There are a handful of pitchers who may have better stuff, and more of the "ace" makeup you allude to. None of them were or are available. Pitchers like Syndergaard don't get traded.

pigture perfect

I think you have to pick up those great pitchers through Free agency. I wish we had held on to Lynn and at least made a run at Arrieta. Good win against the Brewers today. Bats looked really good.

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 02, 2018, 06:27:22 pm
I think you have to pick up those great pitchers through Free agency. I wish we had held on to Lynn and at least made a run at Arrieta. Good win against the Brewers today. Bats looked really good.

I really like Lynn, but I think either one of Lynn or Arrieta would have been a mistake. I think Arrieta is past his prime and Lynn has never really been anything more than a solid #3 starter. Mikolas for Lynn is a decent trade/slight upgrade I think, and cheaper in AAV. Funny how we haven't heard much about the Cardinals beating out the Cubs for Mikolas.... hmmm, I wonder why we don't hear that? ? ? Doesn't fit a narrative maybe? ? ?

Weaver was impressive in his start despite getting squeezed by the ump. Mikolas was good today, the Brewers have a solid offense and he pretty well kept them in check. I'm interested to see Wainwright pitch, I'm thinking/hoping that he's about to surprise people. Flaherty had a good spring, it will be fun to see him tomorrow. As usual, the concerns are Wacha and Martinez in the starting rotation. Same old same old from those two after their first turns, long way to go though.

The bullpen however is looking really nasty. Hicks is ridiculous, like pretty much unhittable. 100 mph and dipping, diving, and running everywhere, really fun to watch.

Cotton

I don't know about yall, but I'm ready for Thursday! Something about watching the Birds in Busch puts a big ole smile on my face.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

clutch

Tough loss last night. Thought we had that one in the bag.

Cotton

Currently fighting with DirecTV to get the regional sports package added and get FSMidwest...

its stupid I get FSSW and not Midwest

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

clutch

Quote from: Cotton on April 04, 2018, 08:20:55 am
Currently fighting with DirecTV to get the regional sports package added and get FSMidwest...

its stupid I get FSSW and not Midwest

I'm going through the same thing.

Cotton

Quote from: clutch on April 04, 2018, 08:21:51 am
I'm going through the same thing.
I had it figured it out last year in September when I moved to my new house... It was gonna be like $7 a month or so. But now I call and nobody knows what I'm talking about.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

jst01

Didn't FSMW sell to another entity and now is owned by a different corp?  I remember reading that last year. Not sure if that has anything to do with Direct and their ability to show it in that region.

Cotton

Apparently in Central AR they have some kind of exclusivity where Cardinal broadcasts are blacked out on every network except FSMW.  I wasn't even able to watch the ESPN broadcast this past weekend even though I don't have FSMW.  I was just SOL.

So basically my only solution is to add the DirecTV Sports Pack which gives me about 20 sports channels I won't ever watch, but it does add some regional Fox Sports channels; FSSE (Grizzlies Games), FSMW (Royals and Cardinals, FSOK (Thunder), and FSSW - Houston. FSSW DFW is already on my package.  Price is $13.99 a month according to the website so I'll probably be adding this package from now until October.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX