Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Has the one and done killed Razorback basketball?

Started by Tweeter, January 30, 2017, 10:26:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Tweeter

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

RacinRazorback

No doubt it has hurt college BBall overall. It seems to have hurt the NBA too. Players leaving too early for the big paycheck that aren't NBA ready. I can't stand to watch an NBA game anymore, the league is watered down with immature players that needed another year or 2 in college. What Calislimmy is doing at KY is terrible for the college game and hurts the NBA more than it helps. If I were a KY alum or booster I wouldn't be happy with his program. He is there to win National titles, not flood the NBA with one and dones. If he wants to be a D league coach that's fine, I just wouldn't want him to do at my unviersities expense! No doubt Portis and Qualls leaving early was a huge set back for our team!

LRHawg

Quote from: RacinRazorback on January 30, 2017, 10:44:57 am
No doubt it has hurt college BBall overall. It seems to have hurt the NBA too. Players leaving too early for the big paycheck that aren't NBA ready. I can't stand to watch an NBA game anymore, the league is watered down with immature players that needed another year or 2 in college. What Calislimmy is doing at KY is terrible for the college game and hurts the NBA more than it helps. If I were a KY alum or booster I wouldn't be happy with his program. He is there to win National titles, not flood the NBA with one and dones. If he wants to be a D league coach that's fine, I just wouldn't want him to do at my unviersities expense! No doubt Portis and Qualls leaving early was a huge set back for our team!

Cal has only won one title at Kentucky as well. You need a mix of talented freshmen plus upperclassmen to get it done on a consistent basis. Not to mention, quality coaching. 

Kevin

No bad choices as head coach has killed the program
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

HogsonHicks

Uh...have we ever had a "one and done", or at least one that was NBA bound?

We've had a few "one and done with us" versions, but they've popped up at other schools.

PonderinHog

Quote from: HogsonHicks on January 30, 2017, 11:13:43 am
Uh...have we ever had a "one and done", or at least one that was NBA bound?

We've had a few "one and done with us" versions, but they've popped up at other schools.
I guess someone would have drafted Portis and Johnson if they had chosen to enter the draft after one year.  I can't remember what the rules were back in Joe's day.

Hogfan1660

YES!!!!! Because we have had SOOOOO many come through here.... 😠😠😠😠

The_Iceman

hawginbigd1

IMO it has hurt college ball all the way around. Here is the deal IMO it has hurt the second tier programs that are not the blue bloods Duke, Kentucky etc. When they have 6-8 open slots every year the elite talent gets to be concentrated on those schools. If they didn't have this many spots open every year the elite talent would spread down to the next tier programs, so everybody else is trying to beat 8 or 10 teams full of 5 star recruits with what's left over. It takes everyone else like a Wisconsin having a group of talented 3 and 4 year players to compete at that level consistently in a season.

davehog

The incessant parade to the foul line is ruining the game far more than the one and done.

I have not done any research or read anything that compares fouling through the past years but it seems like it's up significantly.

The "flow" of college basketball is not the same and the result is a boring product.

Pork Twain

No more than allowing kids to go right of high school did.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

majp51

Quote from: Tweeter on January 30, 2017, 10:26:46 am
....NM

Not really. Cause 1 and Done's are just a drag on the sport overall, it's not like the problem is unique to Arkansas. I think a bigger drag has been the continued viability of Mid Major schools, and the play style. I mean based on actual results, why would someone come to Arkansas? Winning titles? No. Good conduit to the NBA? No. Power Conference? Not outside of Lexington. Why Come to Arkansas when Wichita State, Butler, Gonzaga, etc. will actually give you a higher profile, and has produced more NBA draftees in the past 10 years? Memphis actually actively recruiting Memphis also makes it a problem as well.

FineAsSwine

MountieDawg

Mid Majors have thrived during the One and Done rules and it should make it harder for the blue bloods of college basketball to win consistently because of the turnover of players.  This should be a year for the Razorback basketball team to thrive... A very heavy junior and senior laden team with some players with an extra year to play after transferring in... I would love to see them forced to stay 3 years but that is for my watching benefit not the players benefit.  If Anthony Davis was my son, I would be ticked if he had to play 3 years instead of earning millons.  Plus it would look very funny if I was Davis's dad...

SEC!

PonderinHog

Quote from: MountieDawg on January 30, 2017, 12:53:34 pm
Mid Majors have thrived during the One and Done rules and it should make it harder for the blue bloods of college basketball to win consistently because of the turnover of players.  This should be a year for the Razorback basketball team to thrive... A very heavy junior and senior laden team with some players with an extra year to play after transferring in... I would love to see them forced to stay 3 years but that is for my watching benefit not the players benefit.  If Anthony Davis was my son, I would be ticked if he had to play 3 years instead of earning millons.  Plus it would look very funny if I was Davis's dad...
I always figured you had a thing for Unibrow.

MountieDawg

SEC!

The_Iceman

Poor coaching the last 15 years is what is killing our program.

Torqued pork

HOGINTENNESSEE

The opportunity to go play in Europe for money has hurt.

GuvHog

Quote from: RacinRazorback on January 30, 2017, 10:44:57 am

Very well said. The NBA needs to change their draft rules to mirror the NFL's draft rules. When a players graduates high school he should have 2 choices:

1. Enter the Developmental league draft, play in that league 3 years, then opt for the NBA draft.

2. Go to college for 3 years and opt for the NBA draft after the 3rd year.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Dropkick

I heard Seth Greenberg on the radio talking about how when a coach takes a coaching job he has to decide what his strategy is going to be regarding filling out his roster from year to year. He said it has a lot to do with the talent available to that school on a yearly basis. He gave Wisconsin as a place that actually redshirts to build with 5th year seniors as the other end of the spectrum vs the Kentucky formula. The point he was making is there are several ways to win but you need to identify the best course for your situation.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: GuvHog on January 31, 2017, 08:00:40 am
Very well said. The NBA needs to change their draft rules to mirror the NFL's draft rules. When a players graduates high school he should have 2 choices:

1. Enter the Developmental league draft, play in that league 3 years, then opt for the NBA draft.

2. Go to college for 3 years and opt for the NBA draft after the 3rd year.

Never understood why the NBA never tried to have at least a NHL style minor league system. It works. I know the D-League is close but seems half hearted. Guys like BP might be paying better in the NBA if he spent his first year playing for the Des Moines Whatever then on the major league roster.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022