Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Byars brings up a question.

Started by JIHawg, January 29, 2017, 02:32:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 30, 2017, 06:49:04 pm
You have to cut fans a little slack here. We had websites that pretend to be SEC news sites writing stories about how great Byers was and how it was a mystery why Arkansas didn't offer. Most people don't put a lot of effort into this, just read stuff and follow the leader. They can't tell what fake Razorback news is any more than anything else.

Except I'm betting it's a very small minority that bought into it.  The vast majority fall in line with the program's stance.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

hawginbigd1

Funny some guy named Jared called in to Packer's CST show today. I am a Huge Hog fan!!! I just heard that there is this 5* DT from FHS that Nick Saban came to visit last week and CBB hasn't even offered this kid! Packer is like well if Saban thinks he's a player then there is no doubt he could help the Hogs. I just thought to myself your not that huge a fan LOL

factchecker

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 30, 2017, 07:28:10 pm
Except I'm betting it's a very small minority that bought into it.  The vast majority fall in line with the program's stance.

If that's true then the minority is very vocal, uninformed, and disturbing.  Call in shows and social media has been littered with some pretty foul responses to this whole scenario.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: factchecker on January 30, 2017, 07:41:03 pm
If that's true then the minority is very vocal, uninformed, and disturbing.  Call in shows and social media has been littered with some pretty foul responses to this whole scenario.

But see the point is that the perceived drama that would have ensued had we offered their kid, then recinded when it was clear he wouldn't make eligibility, is either overblown or no worse than all this perceived drama we're pointing to for not offering.  That's the irony of the whole we have to do it the way we are...to avoid potential drama if we pulled an offer.  And that's in no way suggesting BB should have done things differently.  He supposedly has a policy with this issue, and he executed it.  No problem with that.

And yes, a small minority can look much bigger than it is when we believe it's attacking our program.  The "star gazer" crap is a perfect example.  It's really a pretty smal minority that blindly follows stars, but the other side brings it up so much in any effort to discredit stars...looking for any example, and exception possible to discredit it when nobody is talking about it. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Pork Twain

January 31, 2017, 06:31:55 am #154 Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 08:37:17 am by Pork Twain
If find it amazing, that people second guess our coaches on in-state recruiting, especially at Fayetteville.  With the Allen connections alone, do any of you actually think our staff is not clued into what is going on with every player they are looking at, especially at Fayetteville?  I swear, some of you just need something to complain about.  I would be willing to wager that there are not over 3-4 people on this board that even come close to being half as connected as any staff on the Hill, to the Arkansas recruiting grounds.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Nosboar Accubond

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 31, 2017, 06:31:55 am
If find it amazing, that people second guess our coaches on in-state recruiting, especially at Fayetteville.  With the Allen connections alone, do any of you actually think our staff is not clued into what is going on with every player they are looking at, especially at Fayetteville?  I swear, some of you just need something to complain about.  I would be willing to wager that there are not over 3-4 people on this board that even come close to being half as connected as any staff on the Hill, to the Arkansas recruiting grounds.
I think most are upset that we didn't work really hard to build a relationship, get him in a JUCO, and hope to get him later on...

The problem is people don't know how Byers handled it all, so they put it all on the coaches. I, for one, was not impressed with Byers responses in interviews regarding the whole situation. From talking about how he was frustrated and had no idea why he did not have an offer to saying once he did get one he would be bitter.

That is pure BS, he knew exactly why he didn't have an offer, what it would take to get one, and our coaches position on his situation.

If I were a coach I cut my losses. Byers is not a bad kid or anything, he was in a difficult situation and I am sure the last thing he wanted to do was say he was having trouble getting eligible. However he could have said something simple like "the coaches and I are on the same page, I am just working hard to get ready for the next step in my football carreer."

The leave it alone... SMH

Hogfan46

January 31, 2017, 09:57:02 am #156 Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 10:24:32 am by Hogfan46
If anyone doubts that E.K. Franks and Barry Lunney Jr. have a firm grasp of instate players abilities, grades, lifestyle choices, character etc. then they are clueless.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Hogfan46 on January 31, 2017, 09:57:02 am
If anyone doubts that E.K. Franks and Barry Lunney Jr. do not have a firm grasp of instate players abilities, grades, lifestyle choices, character etc. then they are clueless.
Exactly this and I am sure that from the beginning, our coaches were in "contact" with the administrative assistants and counselors at the school to gauge the possibility of him ever qualifying. 

I am not worried where he goes after JUCO, because our staff has shown that they can go out and pull in JUCO talent.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 31, 2017, 06:31:55 am
Well I can GUARANTEE you the staff knew pretty early on the situation. While the kid may have been 'Bama bound from the start, our coaches weren't going to just sit back and let the Tide sweep in and take him without a fight except under one condition-the fact he wasn't likely going to be eligible to begin with. It's obvious they felt their intelligence concerning his academic status was solid hence the lack of an offer. One can argue that we should have at least made the gesture of trying to get him; then again, some folks will argue about anything.

Bubba's Bruisers

I'm sure anyone who engaged him knew of his academic standing.  That really shouldn't be in question.  The only questions have been regarding policy for handling this kind of a situation.  Different programs handle it differently.  Both have their merits.  It's apparent we set a policy and followed it.  We can argue the policy all we want, but arguing a program's knowledge of academic standing isn't really relevant.  Bama knew his situation too.

Also, reading between the lines, the seemingly lack of contact with Byers by our staff (that's an assumption on my part), might suggest additional issues beyond his academics.  Maybe the kid had zero interest in UA and made it very clear up front.  Or maybe the staff didn't think he was coachable or lacked drive.  Just spit-balling.

LRHawg

Quote from: Nosboar Accubond on January 31, 2017, 09:08:42 am

The problem is people don't know how Byers handled it all, so they put it all on the coaches.

This is what it really boils down too. People assume so much, yet if you would read and think critically, you might learn something and can then move on without trolling us all with your ignorance. I see this more and more. I guess we're not teaching our kids how to think critically anymore.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Nosboar Accubond on January 31, 2017, 09:08:42 am
I think most are upset that we didn't work really hard to build a relationship, get him in a JUCO, and hope to get him later on...

The problem is people don't know how Byers handled it all, so they put it all on the coaches. I, for one, was not impressed with Byers responses in interviews regarding the whole situation. From talking about how he was frustrated and had no idea why he did not have an offer to saying once he did get one he would be bitter.

That is pure BS, he knew exactly why he didn't have an offer, what it would take to get one, and our coaches position on his situation.

If I were a coach I cut my losses. Byers is not a bad kid or anything, he was in a difficult situation and I am sure the last thing he wanted to do was say he was having trouble getting eligible. However he could have said something simple like "the coaches and I are on the same page, I am just working hard to get ready for the next step in my football carreer."

The leave it alone... SMH

I have no insider knowledge of the situation, but I am sure that there are some on here that are somehow connected to FHS and our coaching staff. What is more I would be willing to bet that as this young man progressed through high school that the coaches from our staff that were recruiting him, made it perfectly clear as to what it would take to get an offer.

Byars situation probably didn't end up where it is overnight, so I imagine he has known for a good, long time what it would take to get that offer from the Hogs. If so, that is pretty clear and if you are motivated to get that offer you value so much and you have problems to fix, I would think you would re-dedicate your efforts to make certain that you achieved that which was required.

So I'm not buying the "frustrated" and "bitter" agenda he may have been pushing. Can he mend fences with the Hogs staff? Maybe. But he knows that they are serious about him being responsible enough to make passing grades if he wants to play here, and I have no problem with that.
Go Hogs Go!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 31, 2017, 10:41:02 am
I have no insider knowledge of the situation, but I am sure that there are some on here that are somehow connected to FHS and our coaching staff. What is more I would be willing to bet that as this young man progressed through high school that the coaches from our staff that were recruiting him, made it perfectly clear as to what it would take to get an offer.

Byars situation probably didn't end up where it is overnight, so I imagine he has known for a good, long time what it would take to get that offer from the Hogs. If so, that is pretty clear and if you are motivated to get that offer you value so much and you have problems to fix, I would think you would re-dedicate your efforts to make certain that you achieved that which was required.

So I'm not buying the "frustrated" and "bitter" agenda he may have been pushing. Can he mend fences with the Hogs staff? Maybe. But he knows that they are serious about him being responsible enough to make passing grades if he wants to play here, and I have no problem with that.
I suppose one could argue all day long if they wanted about the various issues of how this whole situation was handled/evolved. However, the ONE thing we know for CERTAIN is that the academic issue(s) definitely didn't occur overnight. That's something that's usually established fairly early on in a kid's school life.

Arkiebarkie

Yes, he was told up front by our staff what it would take to get an offer. He did not get it done in the class room. Now, can he get it done in JUCO?

razorbackfaninar

I don't have any inside sources really. I know a few people who always seem to have some tidbits of information that I trust, and even I had heard that the young man wouldn't likely be academically eligible probably as early as last fall. The frustrating thing about this situation is that there were reporters who cover the Razorbacks who I know must have at the very least heard that that was the likely reason for the lack of an offer, but there was still all the pot-stirring and hand wringing about why we hadn't offered.  It was a poorly guarded secret but still you had writers acting like the staff had lost their minds instead of just saying the sensible thing in regards to his recruitment.  I have seen people say they should have offered him anyway even with the full knowledge that he wouldn't qualify, but I like the way the current staff handles issues like this. I don't have first hand knowledge, but it seems to me that they attempt to be very honest and open during the recruiting phase.  That can probably be a disadvantage at times,  but I think it pays dividends in the long run.

LRHawg

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on January 31, 2017, 11:01:47 am
I don't have any inside sources really. I know a few people who always seem to have some tidbits of information that I trust, and even I had heard that the young man wouldn't likely be academically eligible probably as early as last fall. The frustrating thing about this situation is that there were reporters who cover the Razorbacks who I know must have at the very least heard that that was the likely reason for the lack of an offer, but there was still all the pot-stirring and hand wringing about why we hadn't offered.  It was a poorly guarded secret but still you had writers acting like the staff had lost their minds instead of just saying the sensible thing in regards to his recruitment.  I have seen people say they should have offered him anyway even with the full knowledge that he wouldn't qualify, but I like the way the current staff handles issues like this. I don't have first hand knowledge, but it seems to me that they attempt to be very honest and open during the recruiting phase.  That can probably be a disadvantage at times,  but I think it pays dividends in the long run.

There are plenty of legitimate topics to discuss without having to result to making ish up. Sadly, this seems to be the norm in journalism now.

ricepig

What local recruiting guys said anything? Now, other's may have written something, but you can't control their narrative, or where it's coming from.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 30, 2017, 06:25:33 pm
So you are saying if instate kid then you should be able to offer late and steal them when eligible. Got it
sure, especially if you are a Top 5 all-time college team.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Biggus Piggus

No legitimate reporter ever said anything negative about Arkansas's recruitment of Byers. Not one.

Only goobs doing their jobs all online with no contact with any sources of their own criticized Arkansas over Byers.
[CENSORED]!

jackflash

thebignasty

Quote from: jackflash on January 31, 2017, 12:39:52 pm
Question will be answer NSD

It's already answered.

I don't think anyone connected to fhs ever thought Byers had a real chance at being eligible d1.  I hope the kid turns it on at juco. 

Pork Twain

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on January 31, 2017, 10:47:55 am
I suppose one could argue all day long if they wanted about the various issues of how this whole situation was handled/evolved. However, the ONE thing we know for CERTAIN is that the academic issue(s) definitely didn't occur overnight. That's something that's usually established fairly early on in a kid's school life.
Another thing we know for sure is that this staff seems to have a lot of ties and a good relationship with FHS and their coaching staff and players.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 31, 2017, 01:36:05 pm
Another thing we know for sure is that this staff seems to have a lot of ties and a good relationship with FHS and their coaching staff and players.
True; I also believe that for the most part they also have pretty strong relationships with the vast majority of instate high school coaches and programs as well. Whatever "burnt bridges" that were created by some of the past staff's from the Hill seem to have no only been rebuilt, but strengthened. Obviously we need to keep those pipelines and lines of communication strong from here on out.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 31, 2017, 12:37:55 pm
No legitimate reporter ever said anything negative about Arkansas's recruitment of Byers. Not one.

Only goobs doing their jobs all online with no contact with any sources of their own criticized Arkansas over Byers.

I don't know what your standards are for "legitimate", but I saw several interactions on twitter by "journalists" (if that makes you feel better) who typically cover the hogs pretty closely that were acting shocked and couldn't understand why we wouldn't offer.  Maybe I read too much into it, but it seemed disingenuous to me since they were likely aware of the situation.  Maybe I am biased but usually Richard Davenport is the only Arkansas recruiting reporter I consider "legitimate"   

Pork Twain

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on January 31, 2017, 01:52:41 pm
I don't know what your standards are for "legitimate", but I saw several interactions on twitter by "journalists" (if that makes you feel better) who typically cover the hogs pretty closely that were acting shocked and couldn't understand why we wouldn't offer.  Maybe I read too much into it, but it seemed disingenuous to me since they were likely aware of the situation.  Maybe I am biased but usually Richard Davenport is the only Arkansas recruiting reporter I consider "legitimate"   
I hate to be that guy but, link?

hawginbigd1

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on January 31, 2017, 01:52:41 pm
Sorry dude but you kind of ran around in circles in this post and then you agreed with his point. There are few legitimate journalists covering Arkansas recruiting RD is my money favorite.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on January 31, 2017, 10:47:55 am

And this is the second DT in a row that Saban offered only to find out that the kid didn't have the grades to be able to come to Alabama. He was on another gigantic and talented DT last year out of Texas, 6-5, 375 lb. Kendall Jones (The Hulk) out of Killen, TX. That kid has dropped entirely out of sight. Sad to be blessed with so much talent and not put as much emphasis on your grades as you do on the bench press. Ehh, maybe that isn't it, maybe it is something else that the kid can't help, but it is still a shame.
Go Hogs Go!

hei5manhog

It's insane how guys can't understand how easy they have it as a football star in high school. Everyone there wants you to succeed. That's why I'm always impressed with the JUCOs who mature and get the grades to make it back to D1. I know that's not always 100% on the up and up, but it still has to be harder than making it though an arkansas high school that every teacher/administrator wants to see you become a Hog.
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

hawgfan4life

1.  Several fans ran around crazy about AR not offering the kid while AL had a standing offer.  We now know exactly why AR never offered.  These fans had zero knowledge but call the radio shows and fill up the internet with their expert opinions.

2.  Now these same fans are being critical that we didn't build a relationship with the kid so that we could place him in a JC and get him later when he becomes eligible.  These same fans have no knowledge regarding what level of relationship building that occurred.   They also know nothing about how the kid handled the situation with our coaches to encourage or discourage any relationship building.  Yet here they are again with their expert opinions.

3.  Mods should develop a BLOW UP function so that when enough posters read an idiotic post and click on a bomb icon, it is deleted from the board forever. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hawgfan4life on January 31, 2017, 04:30:08 pm
1.  Several fans ran around crazy about AR not offering the kid while AL had a standing offer.  We now know exactly why AR never offered.  These fans had zero knowledge but call the radio shows and fill up the internet with their expert opinions.

2.  Now these same fans are being critical that we didn't build a relationship with the kid so that we could place him in a JC and get him later when he becomes eligible.  These same fans have no knowledge regarding what level of relationship building that occurred.   They also know nothing about how the kid handled the situation with our coaches to encourage or discourage any relationship building.  Yet here they are again with their expert opinions.

3.  Mods should develop a BLOW UP function so that when enough posters read an idiotic post and click on a bomb icon, it is deleted from the board forever. 

We wouldn't have a board at all if that were the case. ;) I'm kidding, just kidding.
Go Hogs Go!

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hawgfan4life on January 31, 2017, 04:30:08 pm

So then lots of drama over not offering him?

ricepig

Bama may not ever get over this.......it took them a couple of days to get another 4*

http://247sports.com/Player/Phidarian-Mathis-86415

PonderinHog

Man, I bet Saban was sweating his job security!   ::)

Nosboar Accubond

Quote from: ricepig on January 31, 2017, 04:55:14 pm
Bama may not ever get over this.......it took them a couple of days to get another 4*

The most I took from this post was the list of schools that had offered. We are listed with 10 defensive tackles on the roster, more than anybody else?

ricepig

Quote from: Nosboar Accubond on January 31, 2017, 05:46:33 pm
The most I took from this post was the list of schools that had offered. We are listed with 10 defensive tackles on the roster, more than anybody else?

Well, if you had clicked on that link, you would have noticed it included 2 graduating Sr's, and a player that transferred last year. Also, has a commit on it(Johnson).

MuskogeeHogFan

Saban always has Plan A, backed up by Plan B, backed up by Plan C.

Plan A probably commits about 90% of the time.
Plan B probably commits about 100% of the time.
Plan C-I'd love to know the number of times that they have actually had to go to Plan C since 2007.
Go Hogs Go!

Vantage 8 dude

That's why I wasn't too puzzled why Saban went ahead and came to Fayetteville even under the circumstances. It's not as if he's spending a lot of time when he could be desperately scrambling for someone else. Whether it's him personally or someone on his 2,000 person staff they seem to have all the bases covered every recruiting season. Not as if his spending some time at FHS was going to have any negative impact on this years 'Bama class.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on January 31, 2017, 06:46:36 pm
That's why I wasn't too puzzled why Saban went ahead and came to Fayetteville even under the circumstances. It's not as if he's spending a lot of time when he could be desperately scrambling for someone else. Whether it's him personally or someone on his 2,000 person staff they seem to have all the bases covered every recruiting season. Not as if his spending some time at FHS was going to have any negative impact on this years 'Bama class.

He may have been looking at someone else for the future while he was there and then there is the rumor that while he was in town, he dropped off a baby gift to Bielema and Jen, not that this was the primary reason for coming.
Go Hogs Go!

PonderinHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 31, 2017, 07:32:07 pm
He may have been looking at someone else for the future while he was there and then there is the rumor that while he was in town, he dropped off a baby gift to Bielema and Jen, not that this was the primary reason for coming.
I'm sure the primary reason for his visit was to give CBB and CPR some pointers on implementing the 34 defense.  I'm sure he's getting tired of beating us every year.

Pork Twain

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 31, 2017, 05:58:57 pm
Saban always has Plan A, backed up by Plan B, backed up by Plan C.

Plan A probably commits about 90% of the time.
Plan B probably commits about 100% of the time.
Plan C-I'd love to know the number of times that they have actually had to go to Plan C since 2007.
And even plan C is a 4* and dying to go to Bama