Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thomas Johnston

Started by Hog33, December 12, 2016, 10:43:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WooPig90

moto625

Hope he didn't wait to long for a spot would like to have him, but his indecisiveness may have cost him. WPS

HOGS82

He has 5 picks to UAB in the last 24 hours...
Quote from: mindemon on November 24, 2023, 06:58:31 pmThe 'Fire Sam Pittman' crowd are going to be eating their words next year. Trust me.

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

rusvegashog

Quote from: tusksincolorado on January 22, 2017, 07:32:14 pm
Toddies and sun dresses.....18 years olds find that hard to resist.....
Who doesn't.

rusvegashog

Quote from: tusksincolorado on January 22, 2017, 07:32:14 pm
Toddies and sun dresses.....18 years olds find that hard to resist.....
Who doesn't.

Oklahawg

Quote from: factchecker on January 23, 2017, 06:01:37 pm
Really?

Yep.... you are correct.

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Thomas-Johnston-at-Spanish-Fort-78520/CurrentExpertPredictions

Is it an academic issue?

Brother at UAB.

Can't see Iowa, Ole Miss, Auburn, and Arkansas chasing him this hard if he had academic issues. One thing to be an early commit with grades, but you wouldn't keep chasing if the academics were not in place.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

factchecker

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 23, 2017, 06:11:07 pm
Brother at UAB.

Can't see Iowa, Ole Miss, Auburn, and Arkansas chasing him this hard if he had academic issues. One thing to be an early commit with grades, but you wouldn't keep chasing if the academics were not in place.

I agree but maybe schools are pulling away due to a test score.  I understand 1 or 2 crystal ball picks to UAB for the brother but 5 ----- 2 of which are Ole Miss writers and the others are LSU, Ohio State, and Steve Wiltfong.

Is this just an attempt to make UAB look good before TJ picks the real school?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Oklahawg

Quote from: factchecker on January 23, 2017, 06:15:11 pm
I agree but maybe schools are pulling away due to a test score.  I understand 1 or 2 crystal ball picks to UAB for the brother but 5 ----- 2 of which are Ole Miss writers and the others are LSU, Ohio State, and Steve Wiltfong.

Is this just an attempt to make UAB look good before TJ picks the real school?

Good point. Sometimes you just scratch your head.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Dominicanhog

Quote from: HOGS82 on January 23, 2017, 05:58:52 pm
He has 5 picks to UAB in the last 24 hours...

when the herd starts chasing, it usually means something..

btw:  thought UAB was going to drop football a couple years ago?

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

King Kong

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 24, 2017, 08:46:12 am
when the herd starts chasing, it usually means something..

btw:  thought UAB was going to drop football a couple years ago?

When your options are Ole Piss and UAB. It's UAB everytime

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/DrewChamplin/status/823902486780116995

QuoteSpanish Fort's three-time all-state linebacker committed to UAB on Tuesday morning, turning down strong overtures from more recognized programs like Auburn, Ole Miss, Iowa and Arkansas in the process.

The state's all-time leading high school tackler will be reunited with older brother Tyler, who signed with the Blazers a year ago to play quarterback.

"I always had a dream of playing football with my brother in college," Johnston said. "We shared that dream. We often talked about that over the years growing up together. We had no idea how that would actually happen. We always thought it would be a package deal in a sense - one on defense, the other on offense - dreaming of continuing to win championships. God led me to the same spot with my brother."

Tyler is just one of several deep connections Thomas Johnston has with UAB. He has known head coach Bill Clark since he played park ball with Clark's son in fourth grade. He has worked with strength coach Lyle Henley since the second grade. Blazers' defensive coordinator David Reeves worked for four months at Spanish Fort while the UAB program was on hiatus. Fellowship of Christian Athlete representative Tavon Arrington worked in the same capacity at Spanish Fort.

He said he did seriously consider other schools though his tie to UAB and its coaches always has been strong.

"Family was mentioned at each school and program," Johnston said. "I do feel that is very important. When I really started to think about what that means, I realized how strong the family ties we have are at UAB."

Johnston was both the AL.com Player of the Year and the Senior Bowl Player of the Year on the coast this past season. He made 195 tackles - finishing with 675 for his five-year career - and also had 13 tackles for a loss.

State of Alabama's all-time leading high school tackler
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

hawginbigd1

OMG I can't believe we lost out to UAB on the steal of the recruiting season. LOL Good for him going to home state school.

hawgwash

My guess is there is more than meets the eye at play here.

younghog

Quote from: hawgwash on January 24, 2017, 10:58:42 am
My guess is there is more than meets the eye at play here.

FAMILY

Nothing more nothing less
GO HOGS

tophawg19

he's known some of the coaches for many year's as well
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

WriterWrong

I think it's a cool story that it means more to him to play with his brother than it does playing at a big school in a Power 5 conference. It's debatable if he made the best decision for his football career, but I do think he made the decision that will make him happiest, which is all that matters. If he's good enough, he could still have a shot at the pros if all goes well at UAB.

Wish more recruits held what really matters as their top priority and not the superficial things a big school can offer.

Congrats to Thomas!

Ramboar

Congrats to TJ. We need speed. TJ is great in many areas. Speed is not one.
I'll be yo Huckleberry

Oklahawg

Congrats, and it is good to see football returning to UAB.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: jbcarol on January 24, 2017, 08:54:30 am
https://twitter.com/DrewChamplin/status/823902486780116995

State of Alabama's all-time leading high school tackler
I actually LOVE this. Good for that kid following his heart! I will have to follow them a bit now. This is an amazing kid to do this and I bet he loves the experience. Just wow.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Hawg Life

Commits to UAB per 247.

Potosihog

Sugar Free Hog

Highest rated player to ever commit to UAB.
Razorbacks-Grizzlies-Titans-Red Sox

TexasRazorback

He wanted to play with his brother and knows the coaches well. I wish him well and wish he was a hog but I don't find it strange, he had a dream of playing with his brother and he and his brother finally get to do that. I guarantee you that will be a story line in 2 years when UAB makes a bowl game and both of them start

HardingHog

tusksincolorado

Hey, if he's good enough the NFL scouts will find him....
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

ChicoHog

I think it's great that he put family before himself.  Good luck to him and UAB.  It would be good for us if UAB started getting good and maybe stealing some recruits that Auburn, Miss st, Ole Missy and maybe even Bama (although I doubt it) are chasing. 

BoynamedWooPigSooie

WTH. Can't even beat UAB at a position of HUGE need.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

ricepig

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on January 25, 2017, 12:47:02 am

Uh.....no, if it's a position of need, why aren't we on our plan B's, C's, and D's by now?

King Kong

FYI Your ignorance is showing

colbs

haha you have no idea what you're talking about.

The Hawg Marshal

First off let me say this is pure speculation on my part. I think his UAB commitment is a combination of things. While he is no doubt a fine player there has to be reasons that he wasn't getting the attention as of late from the P5 schools. I mean the Barn wanted him only as a fb, we hadn't visited or seemed to have any contact with him in several weeks. Ole Miss was interested but they are a mess right now and who knows what possible sanctions they could end up with. Taking all of this into consideration , if you are going to have to settle for a "lesser" program, why not go play with your brother?

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on January 25, 2017, 10:14:21 am
First off let me say this is pure speculation on my part. I think his UAB commitment is a combination of things. While he is no doubt a fine player there has to be reasons that he wasn't getting the attention as of late from the P5 schools. I mean the Barn wanted him only as a fb, we hadn't visited or seemed to have any contact with him in several weeks. Ole Miss was interested but they are a mess right now and who knows what possible sanctions they could end up with. Taking all of this into consideration , if you are going to have to settle for a "lesser" program, why not go play with your brother?
Maybe he told the P5 schools his plans a while back and that is why they have backed off. 

You admitted it is pure speculation, so I'm not saying you are wrong as mine is speculation as well.  Just throwing another option out there.

DiamondHogFan

UAB is a powerhouse.  No shame in losing recruits to the Dragons.  He didn't like the way Tretola torched their secondary a couple years ago so he is going to try to go help them out.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: ricepig on January 25, 2017, 07:57:14 am
Uh.....no, if it's a position of need, why aren't we on our plan B's, C's, and D's by now?
Linebacker is not a position of need?

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 25, 2017, 10:45:53 am
Linebacker is not a position of need?

by numbers?  no, not really.  by talent?  remains to be seen.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on January 25, 2017, 10:37:32 am
Maybe he told the P5 schools his plans a while back and that is why they have backed off. 

You admitted it is pure speculation, so I'm not saying you are wrong as mine is speculation as well.  Just throwing another option out there.
That is totally possible. But he did visit Ole Miss a couple of weeks ago.Not that that necessarily means anything.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Ramboar on January 24, 2017, 11:43:11 am
Congrats to TJ. We need speed. TJ is great in many areas. Speed is not one.

He's apparently fast enough that multiple sec schools recruited him. So there's that....

ricepig

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on January 25, 2017, 07:44:56 pm
He's apparently fast enough that multiple sec schools recruited him. So there's that....

So, if multiple SEC schools recruit you, then you're good to go?

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: ricepig on January 25, 2017, 07:49:26 pm
So, if multiple SEC schools recruit you, then you're good to go?

Multiple sec schools wouldn't recruit me. I'm not fast enough. Unlike Thomas Johnston...

ricepig

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on January 25, 2017, 07:53:27 pm
Multiple sec schools wouldn't recruit me. I'm not fast enough. Unlike Thomas Johnston...

I didn't think you'd answer the question.

Ramboar

I'll be yo Huckleberry

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: ricepig on January 25, 2017, 08:35:49 pm
I didn't think you'd answer the question.

Oh, I answered it, just not in the way you hoped

The_Boot_stops_here

January 25, 2017, 09:06:50 pm #94 Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 09:32:16 pm by The_Boot_stops_here
Quote from: Ramboar on January 25, 2017, 09:05:54 pm
He never does.

Maybe you're not asking the right questions....by the way, what's up with your strange OU fandom?  On the surface, you appear to be a Hog fan but look a little closer and it's clear to see where your loyalty really lies.

Ramboar

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on January 25, 2017, 09:06:50 pm
Maybe you're not asking the right questions....by the way, what's up with your strange OU fandom?  On the surface, you appear to be a Hog fan but look a little closer and it's clear to see where your loyalty really lies.
That hook is awful shiny sailor... carry on. You prove my point every time you post.
I'll be yo Huckleberry

jbcarol

Johnston makes it official

QuoteAll-time leading tackler in the state of Alabama (675)...Three-time All-State linebacker...Alabama Sports Writers Association 6A Lineman of the Year...AL.com Player of the Year...Senior Bowl Player of the Year... Named MVP of Alabama/Mississippi All-Star Game...Had 195 tackles and 13 TFL as a senior...Started 65 straight games for Spanish Fort...Four star recruit...Chose UAB over Arkansas, Auburn, Iowa and Ole Miss...Brother Tyler is a quarterback at UAB...

UAB added nine signees on Tuesday.

The Blazers signed 11 during the fall period.