Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mitchell Smith

Started by -Blu, August 14, 2015, 09:40:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 08, 2016, 10:25:52 pm
I agree with this.

I appreciate shooting high for the great ones, but the Plan B is almost non-existent.  When that moment comes, it's more "grab a warm body".  If they had a bit more tact, they could engage more players that were just a bit off the front line.

Also, there is no doubt Mike likes a certain type of player.  That is their measurables and athleticism.  He's not prone to recruiting players with strong X's & O's knowledge because he doesn't use that in his style.  That shortens his opportunities.

No doubt that Mike has guys on the team who are not SEC quality players.  We need 
Quote from: Hawg Red on March 11, 2016, 07:27:39 am
So, one random internet poster says he has the grades, so let's just assume it's official? Good lord. Just take it for what it's worth, which is to basically take it with a grain of salt for now, and chill out.
This will not go away if Reaves gets eligible goes to WSU and has 2 or 3 excellent years unless Mike maintains winning at a high level.

Hawg Red

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 11, 2016, 08:28:53 am
This will not go away if Reaves gets eligible goes to WSU and has 2 or 3 excellent years unless Mike maintains winning at a high level.

Okay?

I'm not seeing why you would respond to what I said with this statement.

LA Football fan

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 11, 2016, 07:27:39 am
So, one random internet poster says he has the grades, so let's just assume it's official? Good lord. Just take it for what it's worth, which is to basically take it with a grain of salt for now, and chill out.

It is NOT a random internet poster.  Try a little research before putting your foot in your mouth.   The poster has been working with Reaves on creating highlight videos and getting his info out to colleges.   Works for Movement Academy based on what has been posted there.  I would think if they have been working with him for the past year they would be aware of his grades and ACT score. 

Like I said,  Reaves may still not make it and I am NOT bashing Mike and staff for not pursuing him harder after he got burnt by Kapita last year.  I am just putting it out there that he MAY be good to go now.  This post was not to go after MA.  MA has got some good guards coming in so even though Reaves could have been a good addition to the class,  our more important need is for another post or forward.  I only mentioned Reaves in relation to his skills vs Hannahs.  That is it.  I like Hannahs and think he has been a vital part of our limited success this year and should add even more value next year.   I just think Reaves game is reminiscent of Hannahs with Reaves seeming to have more skills at handling the basketball.  There is always the possibility of Reaves coming back later like Hannahs.

Hawg Red

Quote from: LA Football fan on March 11, 2016, 09:31:10 am
It is NOT a random internet poster.  Try a little research before putting your foot in your mouth.   The poster has been working with Reaves on creating highlight videos and getting his info out to colleges.   Works for Movement Academy based on what has been posted there.  I would think if they have been working with him for the past year they would be aware of his grades and ACT score. 

Here's all you've said about this poster:

Quote from: LA Football fan on March 08, 2016, 11:03:05 pm
Check fearlessfriday.   There is a poster there posting that Reaves has the grades and the ACT score.   Might want to step back from the ledge when he signs this spring and is eligible to play next fall at Wichita State.

Quote from: LA Football fan on March 10, 2016, 07:55:12 pm
Go to fearlessfriday and read the thread on #12.  A poster CLEARLY says that Reaves has the grades and an ACT score GOOD ENOUGH to be eligible.  Remember, there is a sliding scale based on grades and ACT score.  It is not all about the ACT score.  By his posts he seems very close to the Reaves situation so I am thinking he knows a little more than most.  Now he could be wrong and Reaves may not qualify, but based off what he was saying, he will make it.

You didn't post anything about about some person at some academy helping him with highlights for a year. If you want to cite stuff like that, actually post that info HERE instead of making vague references to specific info so people don't have to go to a completely different message board. Based on what you posted HERE, that sounded like some random poster. You left all of that other stuff out when you could have easily just posted what you just responded to me with from the start.

ricepig

So.....it's Pinnacle Preps for basketball, cool.......

azhog10

Quote from: LA Football fan on March 11, 2016, 09:31:10 am

Like I said,  Reaves may still not make it and I am NOT bashing Mike and staff for not pursuing him harder after he got burnt by Kapita last year.  I am just putting it out there that he MAY be good to go now.  This post was not to go after MA.  MA has got some good guards coming in so even though Reaves could have been a good addition to the class,  our more important need is for another post or forward.  I only mentioned Reaves in relation to his skills vs Hannahs.  That is it.  I like Hannahs and think he has been a vital part of our limited success this year and should add even more value next year.   I just think Reaves game is reminiscent of Hannahs with Reaves seeming to have more skills at handling the basketball.  There is always the possibility of Reaves coming back later like Hannahs.
If he knew what he was doing, he would put his GPA and ACT Score on said highlight videos. That allows credibility and lets coaches know he will be cleared by the NCAA Clearinhouse. I've yet to see a Reeves highlight video with his academics on the video to see.

azhog10

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 11, 2016, 09:45:48 am
Here's all you've said about this poster:

You didn't post anything about about some person at some academy helping him with highlights for a year. If you want to cite stuff like that, actually post that info HERE instead of making vague references to specific info so people don't have to go to a completely different message board. Based on what you posted HERE, that sounded like some random poster. You left all of that other stuff out when you could have easily just posted what you just responded to me with from the start.
Not to mention the "sliding scale" actually got harder for those graduating this year. The Min GPA no matter what is a 2.3 or you have to "Academic Redshirt". If you have a 2.0 you have to get a 1020 on the SAT or an 86 on the ACT (composite) or you don't qualify at all. But any GPA under a 2.3 means you redshirt no matter your ACT or SAT. Say your GPA isn't a problem, and it's possible at small school they make sure it isn't, then you have to have at minimum a 400 SAT and 37 ACT, that's with a 3.55 GPA. So sure there's a sliding scale. But if your GPA isn't high enough it doesn't matter.

hei5manhog

Quote from: azhog10 on March 11, 2016, 11:15:01 am
Not to mention the "sliding scale" actually got harder for those graduating this year. The Min GPA no matter what is a 2.3 or you have to "Academic Redshirt". If you have a 2.0 you have to get a 1020 on the SAT or an 86 on the ACT (composite) or you don't qualify at all. But any GPA under a 2.3 means you redshirt no matter your ACT or SAT. Say your GPA isn't a problem, and it's possible at small school they make sure it isn't, then you have to have at minimum a 400 SAT and 37 ACT, that's with a 3.55 GPA. So sure there's a sliding scale. But if your GPA isn't high enough it doesn't matter.

Isn't the highest you can score on the ACT 36? I've been out of high school but I think that's still accurate. Do you mean 16?
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

azhog10

Quote from: hei5manhog on March 15, 2016, 04:22:34 pm
Isn't the highest you can score on the ACT 36? I've been out of high school but I think that's still accurate. Do you mean 16?
Yeah, it's different now. Not sure how it works exactly, i believe it's No longer a composite. They take a summation of categories and not the average.

Porked Tongue

Lieutenant Dan

Mitchell Smith is a hell of lot more polished than Moses Kingsley was coming here.  Look how he's turned out.  He's also more athletic.  He may not be a star in college but you don't let a 6'10" athletic kid with good feet, good hands, and good touch go to another SEC school when he's 30 minutes down the street.  I've seen him play in person many times.  Both good and bad games.  Talent is there.  He should have been a hog.

Acer4

Quote from: Lieutenant Dan on March 17, 2016, 01:15:35 pm
Mitchell Smith is a hell of lot more polished than Moses Kingsley was coming here.  Look how he's turned out.  He's also more athletic.  He may not be a star in college but you don't let a 6'10" athletic kid with good feet, good hands, and good touch go to another SEC school when he's 30 minutes down the street.  I've seen him play in person many times.  Both good and bad games.  Talent is there.  He should have been a hog.
He's not more athletic than Kingsley, sorry.  I do wish we would have got him though and redshirted him. 

Lieutenant Dan

Quote from: Acer4 on March 17, 2016, 01:23:04 pm
He's not more athletic than Kingsley, sorry.  I do wish we would have got him though and redshirted him. 

If he's not more athletic he's every bit as athletic.  He has tremendous hops for a kid 6'10". 

Acer4

I disagree.  I watched him a few times and don't think he is a good leaper.  He needs food and weight room for couple of years and he will be good to go

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: Lieutenant Dan on March 17, 2016, 01:15:35 pm

This guy is nowhere near the athlete Kingsley is.

Lieutenant Dan

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on March 17, 2016, 01:33:01 pm
This guy is nowhere near the athlete Kingsley is.

He may not turn out to be the player Kingsley is but you guys will witness at some point that he is every bit as athletic.  I've seen the guy almost hit his head on the rim. 

hei5manhog

Quote from: Lieutenant Dan on March 17, 2016, 02:39:02 pm
He may not turn out to be the player Kingsley is but you guys will witness at some point that he is every bit as athletic.  I've seen the guy almost hit his head on the rim. 

I was impressed with him, but I didn't see Moses play in high school. I didn't think Moses was much of an athlete until this year. He seemed pudgy ,like he was growing into his body. This year he did just that. He's also learning the game still, so it may just be that he's having to think less and reacting quicker now that he's used to the talent he's facing.
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Lieutenant Dan on March 17, 2016, 02:39:02 pm

As skinny as he is, it is easy to be athletic. Get him up to 250 before you throw that he is as athletic because strength is a part of athleticism.