Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Let's look at what our new coach will have to work with.

Started by lakecityhog, November 18, 2017, 10:31:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lakecityhog

I am assuming no one leaves and I am updating class. Trying to use only scholarship players or current 2-Deep guys.
I do expect some transfers, but those could be VERY different than what people are thinking right now! I am not including any expected signees.

OFFENSE
QB  15 Cole Kelley (So)  4 Ty Storey (Jr.) 11 Daulton Hyatt (Rs.Fr)
RB 21 Devwah Whaley (Jr.) 6 T.J. Hammonds (Jr.) 2 Chase Hayden (So.) 23 Maleek Williams (Rs.Fr.)
FB 34 Kendrick Jackson (Jr.) 32 Hayden Johnson (So.)
WR 13 Deon Stewart (Jr.)  10 Jordan Jones (So.) 9 De'Vion Warren (So.)  82 Gary Cross (Sr.) 3 Koilan Jackson (Rs.Fr.) 17 Kofi Boateng (So.)
WR 7 Jonathan Nance (Sr.) 5 Brandon Martin (Jr.) 81 Jarrod Barnes (Rs.Fr.) 14 Maleek Barkley (Rs.Fr.) 16 La'Michael Pettway (Jr.)
TE 44 Austin Cantrell (Jr.) 85 Cheyenne O'Grady (Jr.) 87 Jack Kraus (Sr.)
TE 18 Jeremy Patton (Sr.) 80 Will Gragg (Jr.) 89 Grayson Gunter (So.)
LT 74 Colton Jackson (Jr.) 57 Shane Clenin (Rs.Fr.) 68 Kirby Adcock (Rs.Fr.)
LG 51 Hjalte Froholdt (Sr.) 79 Jalen Merrick (Jr.) 64 Audry Horn (So.)
C 75 Zach Rogers (Sr.) Jake Heinrich (So.) 67 Tyler Hall (So.)
RG 62 Johnny Gibson Jr. (Sr.) 69 Dylan Hays (So.) 66 Ty Clary (So.) 99 Deion Malone (Sr.)
RT 60 Brian Wallace (Sr.) 78 Dalton Wagner (So.)

DEFENSE
DE 3 McTelvin Agim (Jr.) 42 Jonathan Marshall (So.) / 90 Armon Watts (Sr.)
NT 41 Austin Capps (Jr.)
DE 52 T.J. Smith (Jr.) 7 Briston Guidry (So.) / 95 Jake Hall (Sr.) 91 Michael Taylor (Sr.)
RAZOR 10 Randy Ramsey (Sr.) 27 Hayden Henry (So.) 29 Derrick Munson (Rs.Fr.)
MLB 8 De'Jon Harris (Jr.) 31 Grant Morgan (So.) 4 Alexy Jean-Baptiste (So.)
WLB 23 Dre Greenlaw (Sr.) 33 Dee Walker (So.) 17 Giovanni LaFrance (So.)
HOG 6 Gabe Richardson (Jr.) 40 Kyrie Fisher (Rs.Fr.) 86 Jamario Bell (So.)
CB 2 Kamren Curl (So.) 1 Chevin Calloway (So.)
SS 9 Santos Ramirez (Sr.) 38 Reid Miller (Sr.)
FS  21 Montaric Brown (Rs.Fr.) 22 Deon Edwards (So.)
CB  11 Ryan Pulley (Sr.)14 Britto Tutt (Jr.)
NICKEL 25 Micahh Smith (R-Fr.) 32 Jordan Curtis (Rs.Fr.)

SPECIAL TEAMS
K 19 Connor Limpert (Jr.) 92 Blake Mazza (So.)
P 18 Blake Johnson (Jr.) 15 Cole Kelley (So.)
KO 19 Connor Limpert (Jr.) 92 Blake Mazza (So.)
KS 48 Jordan Silver (Rs.Fr.)
DS 48 Jordan Silver (Rs.Fr.)
H 38 Reid Miller (Sr.) 31 Grant Morgan (So.)
KR 9 De'Vion Warren (So.) 82 Gary Cross (Sr.)
PR 13 Deon Stewart (Jr.)

Could we see De'vion Warren moved back to his HS position, QB??? Would the new DC want to go with a 4-3 front?
We would have  8 to 10 kids for the D'Line if you count Michael Taylor, Jamario Bell and Dylan Hays.

How many of you realize that we have 19 Line-backers on the roster? 20 if Roessler decides to ask for a medical redshirt for this year. I know that a few are walk-ons, but man that seems like a lot of roster spots for 1 position!

All-in-all it looks like a roster that a good coach could win with. We need a few more QUALITY D'Line guys and a really good O'Line coach to make next year what it could be. BUT, the pieces ARE there to have a good season.

Hogwild

QuoteOFFENSE

This is my concern, Storey transfers and Kelly make another bonehead mistake.  We currently have no QBs in our upcoming class, we need to get a pair of them.

thebignasty

Offense stands no chance unless lineman improve in the off-season in ways they havent been able to so far- and it seems unlikely for a team in transition.

No depth on a d-line that is abysmal this year isn't encouraging either.  Hard to win if you can't stop the run or pressure the qb and dont really have pieces that make you think itd be possible next year.

thebignasty

Quote from: Hogwild on November 18, 2017, 10:34:49 am

This is my concern, Storey transfers and Kelly make another bonehead mistake.  We currently have no QBs in our upcoming class, we need to get a pair of them.

One qb committed https://247sports.com/player/connor-noland-83740

We have a shot at Bohannon, he could be a qb in college.

Jack Lindsey supposedly impressive as a walk on.

QB isn't the most glaring issue we have.

HogPharmer

Quote from: lakecityhog on November 18, 2017, 10:31:26 am
I am assuming no one leaves and I am updating class. Trying to use only scholarship players or current 2-Deep guys.
I do expect some transfers, but those could be VERY different than what people are thinking right now! I am not including any expected signees.

OFFENSE
RB 21 Devwah Whaley (Jr.) 6 T.J. Hammonds (Jr.) 2 Chase Hayden (So.) 23 Maleek Williams (Rs.Fr.)
WR 13 Deon Stewart (Jr.)  10 Jordan Jones (So.) 9 De'Vion Warren (So.)  82 Gary Cross (Sr.) 3 Koilan Jackson (Rs.Fr.) 17 Kofi Boateng (So.)
WR 7 Jonathan Nance (Sr.) 5 Brandon Martin (Jr.) 81 Jarrod Barnes (Rs.Fr.) 14 Maleek Barkley (Rs.Fr.) 16 La'Michael Pettway (Jr.)
RG 62 Johnny Gibson Jr. (Sr.) 69 Dylan Hays (So.) 66 Ty Clary (So.) 99 Deion Malone (Sr.)

DEFENSE
NT 41 Austin Capps (Jr.)
DE 52 T.J. Smith (Jr.) 7 Briston Guidry (So.) / 95 Jake Hall (Sr.) 91 Michael Taylor (Sr.)

SPECIAL TEAMS
PR 13 Deon Stewart (Jr.)

Could we see De'vion Warren moved back to his HS position, QB??? Would the new DC want to go with a 4-3 front?
We would have  8 to 10 kids for the D'Line if you count Michael Taylor, Jamario Bell and Dylan Hays.

How many of you realize that we have 19 Line-backers on the roster? 20 if Roessler decides to ask for a medical redshirt for this year. I know that a few are walk-ons, but man that seems like a lot of roster spots for 1 position!

All-in-all it looks like a roster that a good coach could win with. We need a few more QUALITY D'Line guys and a really good O'Line coach to make next year what it could be. BUT, the pieces ARE there to have a good season.

Maybe a new coach would be willing to give Hammonds more than 3 touches a game. That alone could make a huge difference.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Pig in the Pokey

huh? the best 2 players in Arkansas are Dual Threat QBs, and the #2 guy is already committed. G-Bo, the #1 , is a beast and the new coach will get him if he is a coach that actually uses dual threat QBs...
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

SPAL

Bohanon and TJH/chase running the gus offense with some talented receivers. Future looks good. We've been recruiting for a spread offense but trying to run pro style. I don't expect the massive rebuild a lot do.

lakecityhog

With a really good O'Line coach we improve by a minimum of 100%! You won't see this "cross-training" crap and 5 guys will work together until they become a UNIT!

The D'Line is what it is and unless we can bring in a grad transfer or a juco, but if we go to the 4-3 we have enough down linemen. With 19 LB's on the roster we should be able to find 6 that can play.

A new coach that knows how to evaluate talent AND utilize that talent has more than enough on the roster right NOW to win 8 games!

lakecityhog

Would a new coach start a true freshman at QB? Both Connor Noland and Gerry Bohannon would fit the profile of the RPO offense. De'Vion Warren played QB in HS and rushed and passed for over 1,000 yards.

IF Gus is the guy does he bring Herb Hand with him? Could Hand improve our O'Line the first year?

SPAL

Quote from: lakecityhog on November 18, 2017, 04:21:51 pm
Would a new coach start a true freshman at QB? Both Connor Noland and Gerry Bohannon would fit the profile of the RPO offense. De'Vion Warren played QB in HS and rushed and passed for over 1,000 yards.

IF Gus is the guy does he bring Herb Hand with him? Could Hand improve our O'Line the first year?

I think a true freshman would start, yes. Cole would likely transfer out to a note prolific passing offense.

RebelliousHog

What is the fascination with Gus?

Ok he won at Hughes. Fine
He won at Shiloh where most people knew they recruited who ever they wanted
He won at Springdale in the highest classification with 4 or 5 legitimate  4/5 star players
We won at UA when he was  OC but of course Nutt ruined that. Again, 2 backs who were drafted in the first round, and add to that a back who was almost as good and had a few good years in the NFL. 
AState- 9-3 in a weak conference
Aubie- 12-1 year 1. Since then? 8-5 (4-4). 7-6 (2-6), 8-5 (5-3) and this year 9-2 (6-1) so far. He is regarded as a top recruiter, yet at Aubie with this top ecruiting they've been average except year 1 with someone slse's recruits.

Sorry , I just don't see him being any better than any number of candidates, AND we'd have to pay out the nose to get him. Risky proposition at best. 
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

lakecityhog

Aubie- 12-1 year 1. Since then? 8-5 (4-4). 7-6 (2-6), 8-5 (5-3) and this year 9-2 (6-1)

IF he wins 1 more game this season he will have AVERAGED 9 wins per season with a "bad" year of 7 wins and a National Championship game appearance. IF we could get a coach to do that MOST Razorback fans would go crazy!

With Gus or maybe even Norvell I firmly believe that we should expect a minimum of 8 wins next year with 9 or even 10 as a possibility. We have the talent on the roster to put a pretty darned good team on the field.

havok

Quote from: thebignasty on November 18, 2017, 10:37:03 am
Offense stands no chance unless lineman improve in the off-season in ways they havent been able to so far- and it seems unlikely for a team in transition.

No depth on a d-line that is abysmal this year isn't encouraging either.  Hard to win if you can't stop the run or pressure the qb and dont really have pieces that make you think itd be possible next year.

at least number 50 won't be there next season..the guy gets either steamrolled over by who ever is in front of him, or run past by the guy in the gap.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: HogPharmer on November 18, 2017, 10:49:35 am
Maybe a new coach would be willing to give Hammonds more than 3 touches a game. That alone could make a huge difference.
Really he has like -5 yards on his last 6 touches, sure we should give him more, he looks clueless back there, maybe because he isn't a RB.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: lakecityhog on November 18, 2017, 06:45:15 pm
Aubie- 12-1 year 1. Since then? 8-5 (4-4). 7-6 (2-6), 8-5 (5-3) and this year 9-2 (6-1)

IF he wins 1 more game this season he will have AVERAGED 9 wins per season with a "bad" year of 7 wins and a National Championship game appearance. IF we could get a coach to do that MOST Razorback fans would go crazy!

With Gus or maybe even Norvell I firmly believe that we should expect a minimum of 8 wins next year with 9 or even 10 as a possibility. We have the talent on the roster to put a pretty darned good team on the field.
When will you Gus guys understand this is his performance with top 10 recruiting classes every year, of which he will not sniff at Arkansas!

thebignasty

Quote from: havok on November 18, 2017, 06:48:51 pm
at least number 50 won't be there next season..the guy gets either steamrolled over by who ever is in front of him, or run past by the guy in the gap.

Don't know why we feel like taking a shot at him. Has only played by necessity this year.   We played a d-lineman at guard before we put him in lol

BigE_23

Quote from: HenduHog on November 18, 2017, 06:38:15 pm

He won at Springdale in the highest classification with 4 or 5 legitimate  4/5 star players
We won at UA when he was  OC but of course Nutt ruined that. Again, 2 backs who were drafted in the first round, and add to that a back who was almost as good and had a few good years in the NFL. 
Aubie- 12-1 year 1. Since then? 8-5 (4-4). 7-6 (2-6), 8-5 (5-3) and this year 9-2 (6-1) so far. He is regarded as a top recruiter, yet at Aubie with this top ecruiting they've been average except year 1 with someone slse's recruits.

Sorry , I just don't see him being any better than any number of candidates, AND we'd have to pay out the nose to get him. Risky proposition at best.

"Someone else's recruits" went 0-8 in the SEC the year before Gus used them to come within 13 seconds of winning a NC.

His recruits are now one game away from playing for an SEC championship and potentially a crack a playoff berth.

Yeah he sucks...or, he's a hometown guy revered by every HS coach in the state...almost all of whom run his offense or a variation of it. We could build a true fence around our state and use his current recruiting connections to rebuild Arkansas football. But no...he left for Tulsa, didn't squeal on Nutt, and "stole" Michael Dyer, Kheil Frazier and a couple of lineman...so now he can never be our head coach.

Hiring Gus should be options 1-5 before we move on to anyone else on the list.

lakecityhog

We do have some pretty irrational fans.
The OP is more about the existing talent on the team, and there is talent.

It does seem funny to me that so many of the BB fans have bragged about his recruiting ability and how he has recruited so much better than HDN or BP, but when BB doesn't produce with his players they are simply not good enough. So, which is it is BB a good recruiter/terrible coach or is he a bad recruiter/terrible coach?

I used Gus as the probable new coach just from the talk from the SEC Network, Hogville and even ESPN. He may not be our new coach, if he gets to the National Championship game again this year Aubbie will offer him the moon to stay. And if he does make it there how many of you buffoons will feel quite stupid???

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on November 18, 2017, 10:58:27 am
Bohanon and TJH/chase running the gus offense with some talented receivers. Future looks good. We've been recruiting for a spread offense but trying to run pro style. I don't expect the massive rebuild a lot do.

You recruit talented RBs and WRs for the Pro-style too...

Swestwill66

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on November 18, 2017, 06:51:43 pm
Really he has like -5 yards on his last 6 touches, sure we should give him more, he looks clueless back there, maybe because he isn't a RB.
[/quote
When he only gets 3 touches a game it's fairly easy for defenses to figure he's getting the ball when he's in.]

Swestwill66

Quote from: lakecityhog on November 18, 2017, 10:31:26 am

OFFENSE

DEFENSE
NT 41 Austin Capps (Jr.)

SPECIAL TEAMS
PR 13 Deon Stewart (Jr.)

I agree. Good coaches. Definetly a new strength and conditioning coach.

RideTillIDieHawg

I know we lose a lot on D but I like what we bring back on the offensive side. Discuss.

Bubba's Bruisers

Losing a lot on D is pretty irrelevant.  We were crap anyway. 

QB position will likely continue to take some lumps given lack of experience.  CK is a project. Hard to believe the OL could get worse even with Ragnow gone.  Skill positions should be the strength of the offense.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

RideTillIDieHawg

QB - Kelley RS SO
RB - Whaley JR
RB - Hammonds JR
TE - Gragg JR
WR - Jones RS SO
WR - Martin JR
LT - Jackson JR
LG - Frohodlt SR
C - Rogers SR
RG - Gibson SR
RT - Wallace SR

K - Limpert JR

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: RideTillIDieHawg on November 24, 2017, 07:39:51 pm
QB - Kelley RS SO
RB - Whaley JR
RB - Hammonds JR
TE - Gragg JR
WR - Jones RS SO
WR - Martin JR
LT - Jackson JR
LG - Frohodlt SR
C - Rogers SR
RG - Gibson SR
RT - Wallace SR

K - Limpert JR

Has Gragg been starting?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

RideTillIDieHawg

Assuming we go back to a 4-3:

DE - Agim JR
DE - Smith RS JR
DT - Capps JR
DT Guidry RS SO
LB - Ramsey SR
LB - Harris JR
LB - Greenlaw SR
CB - Curl SO
CB - Calloway SO
FS - Tutt SR
SS - Ramirez SR

P - Johnson

RideTillIDieHawg

hogsmash12

Gragg is the best TE on this roster and this staff's utilization of him was a joke thus among the myriad of reasons for the firing.  TJ Hammonds should have been 1st string RB.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: RideTillIDieHawg on November 24, 2017, 07:41:14 pm

DE - Agim JR
DE - Smith RS JR
DT - Capps JR
DT Guidry RS SO
LB - Ramsey SR
LB - Harris JR
LB - Greenlaw SR
CB - Curl SO
CB - Calloway SO
FS - Tutt SR
SS - Ramirez SR

P - Johnson

Pulley will start at CB. Tut also will be a JR. I hope Curl moves to Saftey

Bubba's Bruisers

This reminds me that the OL may be in trouble for a few more seasons.

Bubba's Bruisers

DE - Agim JR
DE - Smith RS JR
DT - Capps JR
DT Guidry RS SO
LB - Ramsey SR
LB - Harris JR
LB - Greenlaw SR
CB - Curl SO
CB - Calloway SO
FS - Tutt SR
SS - Ramirez SR

P - Johnson

The defense has some decent pieces with competent coaching.

RideTillIDieHawg

Biggest problem on D is lack of speed.

RideTillIDieHawg

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on November 24, 2017, 07:48:20 pm

You;re right, forgot Pulley isn't a senior.

kp72204

I'm curious to know what kind of O and D formations we will run. Do we have right QB for whatever system we will run? A lot has been made of RPO offense and I don't think Kelly is that guy if it is that. RB's I think we'll be ok. Defense.................. well, we'll need high scoring O. Anxious to see who is next.

MC_Hog

I have heard several players are transfering & it's going to be some were depending on..

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: MC_Hog on November 24, 2017, 08:00:22 pm
I have heard several players are transfering & it's going to be some were depending on..

A new coach may be able to mitigate this. 

lakecityhog

Now that it is official I thought I would bump this to the top.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on November 24, 2017, 07:48:20 pm
Cosign

HawgTide

Quote from: RideTillIDieHawg on November 24, 2017, 07:34:52 pm
I know we lose a lot on D but I like what we bring back on the offensive side. Discuss.

With Pulley back we return 8 starters on D

HoggyCat

DE - Agim JR
DE - Smith RS JR
DT - Capps JR
DT Guidry RS SO
LB - Ramsey SR
LB - Harris JR
LB - Greenlaw SR
CB - Curl SO
CB - Calloway SO
FS - Tutt SR
SS - Ramirez SR

P - Johnson

What about Baptiste, Bell & LaFrance?
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

BigSexyHog

Did Gus screw your sister or something?   He must of bullied you in high school or didn't give you an autograph or something. 
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

ChicoHog

Quote from: lakecityhog on November 18, 2017, 12:09:47 pm
With a really good O'Line coach we improve by a minimum of 100%! You won't see this "cross-training" crap and 5 guys will work together until they become a UNIT!

The D'Line is what it is and unless we can bring in a grad transfer or a juco, but if we go to the 4-3 we have enough down linemen. With 19 LB's on the roster we should be able to find 6 that can play.

A new coach that knows how to evaluate talent AND utilize that talent has more than enough on the roster right NOW to win 8 games!
The SEC is a line of scrimmage league and we are poor on both sides of it.  Mizzou O line was getting their back 4 or 5 yards on every play it seemed.  We struggled to move any one off the ball with our line.  Our D-line is not very good but our O line is even worse.  That has to be a major focus for new staff whether it's through recruiting or development. 

lakecityhog

I bet we are in a 4-3 next year and the D'Line becomes better instantly! With the sheer numbers at Linebacker we must have 5 or 6 that can play at a pretty high level.

The O'Line will be better even with the loss of Ragnow if we can get an O'Line coach of AVERAGE SEC ability!

JOKERHOG

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on November 18, 2017, 06:54:36 pm
When will you Gus guys understand this is his performance with top 10 recruiting classes every year, of which he will not sniff at Arkansas!

He might unless he gives a speech to TX HS coaches and condemns their style of play.  Stupid stupid stupid...
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

hawginbigd1

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 24, 2017, 09:03:56 pm
The SEC is a line of scrimmage league and we are poor on both sides of it.  Mizzou O line was getting their back 4 or 5 yards on every play it seemed.  We struggled to move any one off the ball with our line.  Our D-line is not very good but our O line is even worse.  That has to be a major focus for new staff whether it's through recruiting or development.
Cmon man we scored 45 points without defense or ST score, i would say OL did their part today.

GoldCoastHog

Quote from: BigE_23 on November 18, 2017, 07:45:02 pm
"Someone else's recruits" went 0-8 in the SEC the year before Gus used them to come within 13 seconds of winning a NC.

His recruits are now one game away from playing for an SEC championship and potentially a crack a playoff berth.

Yeah he sucks...or, he's a hometown guy revered by every HS coach in the state...almost all of whom run his offense or a variation of it. We could build a true fence around our state and use his current recruiting connections to rebuild Arkansas football. But no...he left for Tulsa, didn't squeal on Nutt, and "stole" Michael Dyer, Kheil Frazier and a couple of lineman...so now he can never be our head coach.

Hiring Gus should be options 1-5 before we move on to anyone else on the list.

Wow, well put. Bravo. Our last trip to an SEC title game he was on the our sideline as OC, which , btw , he was severely restricted in his capacity. If you want to know more, I'm happy to give more details

leroyhawg

lol, you have a lot to worry about, maybe Cole can live with you. Keep him straight.
God Loves a Working man, dont trust Whitey and darn from Shinola. Navin

Navin Johnson

ListenHereMister

leroyhawg

Does all that thinking hurt your head
God Loves a Working man, dont trust Whitey and darn from Shinola. Navin

Navin Johnson

Piggfoot

We will badly miss David Williams. Hammonds is a one gear back who reminds me of Wingo. Fast yes but no power between the tackles.
We have so many weaknesses it's hard to name them all. Our Corners were beaten too much. We need more speed there.
Cole needs  to lose about 50 pounds.
We will be lucky to make a bowl next year as well. Who ever our new coach is better be a good recruiter.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.