Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does Anyone..

Started by CabotHog87, October 16, 2013, 11:10:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

CabotHog87

have any different or unique ab workouts they'd like to share? Mine gets kind of stale sometimes so I'm looking to switch things up a bit. Thanks!

clutch

What do you do? Hard to know if they are different if we don't know what you already do.

And Abs suck, there's really no way to make them fun or interesting.

CabotHog87

I start with just some standard crunches followed by reverse crunches, then move to bicylces, then hip thrusts, then leg climbs, finished off with some twists using a 10 lb dumbbell. Might throw in planks every once in a while and sometimes do 10-15 reps on the old school ab-wheel.

Delicious~Dreams

Plank Jacks work great....along with pike crunches.   I know I don't like any of the exercises but I love the results.   Bicycle crunches like you mentioned work well too.

clutch

October 17, 2013, 06:58:55 pm #4 Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 09:23:01 pm by clutch
Throw in some hanging exercises. Hanging leg raises and knee raises, straight on, then you can do the same to your left and right. You can do toes to bar if you can do them. Cable crunches, cable side bends, ab wheel (or bar) rollouts, planks, side planks, alternate heel touches, frog sit ups, exercise ball pull in is a good one too.

Med ball slams are another good thing you can do for core and get some good cardio in while doing it. There are hundreds of different ab exercises you can do.

clutch

Really though, ab specific workouts aren't as important as they are made out to be. You want a strong core? Concentrate on your deadlifts, squats, bench presses, pullups, etc. Any of the compound exercises are strengthening your core in a way ab specific workouts could never dream of. A lot of people think that doing ab routines is going to shed their belly fat. Not going to happen. You can't spot reduce and it would take literally thousands of sit-ups to lose a pound of fat. I think I read somewhere one time that they had figured it up to be around 250K to lose a pound of fat.

You want a 6 pack? It's made in the kitchen.

I do ab specific work about twice a week. I usually don't do more than 10-15 minutes worth though. Just 2-3 exercises at most. Anything else and I'm just wasting my time. I've been focusing a lot on deadlifts and squats lately and my core is stronger than ever. Your core consist of a lot more than just your abdominal muscles. Instead of targeting just the front section of it, do exercises that target the whole thing.