Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Poor coaching yesterday

Started by Bacon_Bitz, March 12, 2017, 10:47:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bacon_Bitz

By media darling and Hogville favorite Bryce Drew. The decision to give his star players extra rest for a few minutes in the first half doomed his team. When he was talking about this in his halftime interview, I told my father we would run away with it in the second half. Here is why it was a terrible decision:

1. I'm not sure there was any physical benefit to the extra rest. Tournament games are often won on adrenaline fueled effort and sitting your stars more than usual not only puts your rotation at a disadvantage but also takes those guys out of the game flow.

2. Any marginal physical benefit was likely offset by the negative mental effect this has on his team. Think about the message he is sending to his team: you are tired, you are not going to win this game with how tired you're feeling, and you've got to feel better later to win this in the second half. Then when they came out and still felt tired, they were beat mentally by themselves.

Very poor approach to coaching. Should've just let his kids play it out and gut it out. Then he does the wholesale substitution early on in the second half on top of that.

I thought it was poor coaching overall.

Flatline

That what Hawthorne ball is suppose to do when you have the players. Watched a lot of great coaches try to figure out a way to beat it. It usually took another running team out scoring them.

rtr

I don't think their substitution pattern made any difference.

The more smites the more intelligent I get.

bulldog04

I agree.  Fatigue is mental and he put it in their heads

alaback

Remember in 08 when UGA played 2 games in 1 day and went on to win the SEC Tourney?  They had a strong case for the fatigue argument.  Vandy, not so much.