Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vandy was fried today

Started by jbcarol, March 11, 2017, 07:00:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/joerexrode/status/840726883130052608

QuoteVanderbilt has nine guys and most of them played like they were exhausted through most of a 76-62 loss in the SEC semifinals. It was their third game in 45 hours. It looked like it — actually, they looked freshest when scrambling back from a 27-point deficit to make the final score more respectable.

"You could see, they were like a half step slow in terms of making decisions," said Arkansas coach Mike Anderson, whose team scored 29 of the first 35 points of the second half to blow it open. "The shots were short. .... We turned the intensity up (on defense) and you could really see it when we went on that run."

Vanderbilt's reality should not take anything away from Arkansas (25-8), which was terrific with that defense and Vandy-like offensive execution, but Anderson has depth.

This also isn't meant to completely excuse Vanderbilt's performance, because the Commodores (19-15) certainly could have played smarter. It was a 35-31 game at halftime, and they let things get away in part because of poor decisions on the offensive end.

Of course, exhaustion creeps into the brain, too. Luke Kornet — fresh off 44 minutes in Friday's overtime thriller over Florida — simply did not have it Saturday, finishing 1-for-8 from the floor.

Riley LaChance was 2-for-7 with four of Vandy's 15 turnovers. The Commodores had a total of 17 baskets, shooting 30.4 percent.

And so on...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

NuttinItUp

They looked very tired.

That won't be the case against Kentucky.

Biggus Piggus

So that means Arkansas used the correct strategy to put Vanderbilt down.

I remember seeing an Arkansas team win four games in four days to take the SECT. It wasn't predestined that Vanderbilt would lose.
[CENSORED]!

HF#1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 11, 2017, 07:10:06 pm

I remember seeing an Arkansas team win four games in four days to take the SECT. It wasn't predestined that Vanderbilt would lose.

This. Alabama didn't seem tired.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

GuvHog

Quote from: HF#1 on March 11, 2017, 07:11:23 pm

They weren't. They forced Calipari to play his starters most of the game. That may benefit the Hogs tomorrow.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Corkscrew Johnson

I'm pretty sure we had just played a nail biter that ended 16 hours before tipoff.  But that doesn't count.

HawgnCorona

True but asking 9 players to play at a high level for 4 days is just brutal...Even a blind man would know what was coming next.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

daBoar

The Hogs played a tough one with Ole Miss; true Vandy had played one more game, but they waltzed over A&M.  The Hogs played tough pressure defense in the first half; especially Barford.......that wore them down.

hawganatic

Anybody that watched that game could tell Vanderbilt was spent.  They were short on depth, third game in three days, one going into OT against one of the better teams in the country.

Doesn't take anything away from the way we played today.  Stop being offended over people stating a fact.

(notOM)Rebel123

How to avoid being "fried" in the SEC semi finals?
Don't be the 7 seed.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

HawgnCorona

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

rtr

I've never seen so much love for a 15 loss team.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: rtr on March 11, 2017, 09:44:55 pm

ain't that the truth.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

WorfHog

March 11, 2017, 10:48:15 pm #13 Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 11:18:02 pm by WorfHog
That's some impressive excuse making for Vandy. What was their excuse when he beat them at home on January 24? They should be a lock for the NIT, but are somehow the same seed as us with six less wins.  :puke: Not that it matters. Screw Vandy! Go Hogs beat UK!

niels_boar

Alabama managed to play three games in three days and nearly upset a #2-seed with nary a friendly face in the crowd.

We went back to the more passive defense that we had employed against them in Nashville that had worked well in the first game.  That game was close because we didn't score efficiently either.  I have no doubt we were the fresher team with one less game on the weekend, but we are fresher than most thanks to the depth that we have used all season.  We settled the BWA account with interest.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

AirForceHog

Another case of they sucked is why we won. BS!
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

poloprince

Quote from: rtr on March 11, 2017, 09:44:55 pm

They should thank Mike White for this
$PoLoPrInCe$

apcapri

Just a reminder we're playing our 3rd game in 40hrs so if we're flat and look tired it's a legit excuse. Seems to be for Vandy anyway. To me the better team won yesterday...no excuses just good play on our part.

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

welchog

Quote from: jbcarol on March 12, 2017, 07:03:09 am
https://twitter.com/DrewChamplin/status/840691929859932161
Well, they won't get much of a chance because

A.  There aren't but a small few 15 loss teams in the dance.

B.  Those 15 loss teams will get beat by 1-4 seeds.

C.  They are going to the NIT anyway.

GuvHog

Quote from: apcapri on March 12, 2017, 06:28:22 am
Just a reminder we're playing our 3rd game in 40hrs so if we're flat and look tired it's a legit excuse. Seems to be for Vandy anyway. To me the better team won yesterday...no excuses just good play on our part.

Kentucky will be playing their 3rd game to so there are no advantages in that area..
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Dirty

Quote from: HF#1 on March 11, 2017, 07:11:23 pm

Alabama played at their pace

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Dirty on March 12, 2017, 08:08:59 am
Alabama played at their pace

KY was unable to force Bama to play at their pace?

Atlhogfan1

Bama's focus on rebounding kept them in it and a manageable pace.  Still score got a little out of their range.   They needed a game in the 60s. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hoggish1

Quote from: jbcarol on March 12, 2017, 07:00:52 am
https://twitter.com/BZSEC/status/840701959648772096

That's what happens after you play the Hogs.  Sorry, but I have to sweet feelings for Vandy.  Breems said screw them and we did!

gmarv

Yeah they was fried we fried them up real good.

jbcarol

A response:

https://twitter.com/joerexrode/status/840956023896694785

QuoteThe importance of intangibles in athletics can't be overstated, and that's especially true in the past few weeks with a Vanderbilt team that has exceeded the quality of its parts with togetherness-fueled performance.

But this is still a game in which tall people try to put a ball through a cylinder. Still athlete vs. athlete. Still lungs and legs, not just heart. And the Commodores could not will their way into matching the tangibles in Arkansas' favor Saturday.

They did have the option of sleeping in their own bed.

jbcarol

daBoar

Quote from: jbcarol on March 12, 2017, 11:25:24 am
A response:

https://twitter.com/joerexrode/status/840956023896694785

They did have the option of sleeping in their own bed.
Not many commenting that they live, work and play in Nashville as their norm.  Hard to say that's a neutral court, for Vandy..