Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Andy Kennedy takes jab at Mississippi State football during post-game presser

Started by jbcarol, March 11, 2017, 07:02:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/840435399084392448

QuoteOle Miss basketball coach was wrapping up his post-game press conference after a 73-72 loss to Arkansas in the SEC tournament when he went out of his way to make a thinly veiled comment:

"There's 351 Division I basketball teams. Sixty-eight go to the NCAA. Thirty-two go to the NIT. That's 100 out of 351. My math's not great, but that tells me you finished in the top half of college basketball. It's not easy. Since I've been following it, growing up in SEC country, I've never seen a football team turn down a bowl. I've never seen it. There's so many bowls, they're looking for teams to fill 'em. We had one pretty close to our situation that gets in at 5-7."

Ole Miss football also finished 5-7, got destroyed by Mississippi State in the Egg Bowl, and wasn't even invited to a bowl, but he's right about the relative toughness of making the hardwood postseason; Ole Miss basketball missed both the NCAA and NIT last year after winning 20 games, and this year's 20-win squad is not a lock to keep playing, either.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Ben Garrett‏ @SpiritBen 10h10 hours ago

A.K.: "Talking heads said this going to come down to Moses Kingsley, Sebastian Saiz. Moses kicked his ass. Got to do better in the second."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/SpiritBen/status/840441253011562496

QuoteOpening statement: "Hard-fought game. Disappointed, obviously, that we weren't able to advance. Arkansas made the plays down the stretch. But really proud of our effort. Our guys played extremely hard, battled. We just couldn't make enough plays."

On if the team battled fatigue: "No, "I thought we played extremely hard. Honestly harder than last night. I look at the numbers, we hold them under 37 percent from the field, we out-rebound them by 11. We haven't shot free throws well here. We lead the nation in free throws made. Tonight we go 8 for 14. Not only are we not getting there like we normally do, but we're not making them. We only shot 57 percent. Those are the things we have to avoid. With this team, we don't have a very big margin for error."

More on the loss: "Our guys made plays. Terence Davis, he goes for 26 and 9. He made big plays for us. Breein came out great with energy.  In the second half, and it was more of him trying to make a play, he kind of reverted back to high school mode and made some poor decisions. We weren't as efficient in the second half as we needed to be."

Ole Miss: The Rebels, who lead both the SEC and the nation with the most made free throws, just couldn't get to the line enough with Saiz. He was just 1 of 2 at the line. They also didn't help themselves from 3-point range, missing their first five in the second half trying to match the speedy Razorbacks up and down the court. They finished 1 of 10 beyond the arc in the second half and 8 of 28 for the game despite outrebounding Arkansas 49-39.

Arkansas: The Razorbacks already had their sights set on their second NCAA Tournament berth in three seasons for the first time in nine seasons. They improved to 23-24 in this tournament and now are a win away from playing in the title game for the second time in three years.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/AntonioCMorales/status/840438152795967488

QuoteThe quality win Ole Miss so desperately needed to put on an NCAA Tournament resume lacking of one was there for the taking late in Friday night's game against Arkansas.

Well, that was until the Razorbacks snatched it away by coming up with some critical plays late.

Manuale Watkins scored the go-ahead layup with 1:28 remaining, Jaylen Barford came up with critical offensive rebound and Moses Kingsley came up with a late block, all of which were big plays in Arkansas' 73-72 win over Ole Miss in the SEC Tournament quarterfinals.

"We chart 50/50 balls. ... I'm sitting here and looking at it and it was 14-5 them over us," Andy Kennedy said. "A huge play at the end (was) Manny Watkins' basket. ... Then at the end they take a shot, it's a 50/50 ball, Barford gets downhill as the point guard."

Rebels' shot at tying the game went down the drain when Deandre Burnett and Breein Tyree both missed attempts at the game-tying 3 in the final 10 seconds.

Tyree drove to the rim to start the possession, but was blocked for Kingsley. The ball bounced to Burnett, who missed and had his shot altered by Kingsley as well.

"Moses Kingsley even got up and told me he fouled me," Burnett said. "But the refs didn't call it, so it was no call. Just have to live with the results."

The ball found Tyree again, but he missed. Justas Furmanavicius put in the miss for two points, but the Rebels needed a 3.

"We were just trying to make a play," Terence Davis said. "The preseason (SEC) Player of the Year (Kingsley) just made a great play."

jbcarol

Parrish Alford‏ @parrishalford 8h8 hours ago

#OleMiss-Arkansas game story updates with quotes, Tyree, Burnett video. http://djournal.com/sports/ole-miss-falls-arkansas-sec-quarterfinals/ ...

QuoteOle Miss players said fatigue was not a factor, but Arkansas coach Mike Anderson disagreed.

"They played the way we play, up and down the floor," he said. "That's a lot of wear and tear. I thought fatigue was a factor."

The Rebels were plus-10 on the glass but in a one-point loss were only 8 for 14 at the free throw line. Arkansas was 20 for 23.

The Razorbacks defeated Ole Miss 98-80 in Fayetteville in the regular season.

"They kind of embarrassed us at their place. We just wanted to come out and compete, defend Ole Miss," said freshman guard Breein Tyree, who finished with 13 points and was 3 for 7 from 3-point range. "We did a good job of that. We don't have anything to hang our heads about."

The game was tied at 52 with 11 minutes, 12 seconds left after Rebels guard Deandre Burnett hit two free throws. Slowly Arkansas (24-8) began to take control, but the Razorbacks couldn't shake Ole Miss (20-13).

The Rebels took the lead on a 3-pointer by Tyree with 1:43 left but gave up the lead on the next possession.

Seconds later Tyree was short on another 3-pointer, and Sebastian Saiz grabbed the rebound – his seventeenth – but his follow-up was packed by Moses Kingsley.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/NealMcCready/status/840436821695819776

QuoteOle Miss (20-13) lost to Arkansas in the Southeastern Conference tournament quarterfinals Friday, 73-72, in a game that couldn't possibly have served as a better microcosm of the Rebels' season.

Rebels had chances in the final minute. Sebastian Saiz rebounded a Breein Tyree miss, but Moses Kingsley swatted away his put-back attempt that would have given Ole Miss a one-point lead.

On the other end, Ole Miss forced a stop from Arkansas' Jaylen Barford but couldn't get the rebound and had to foul to stop the clock.

Down three points after two Daryl Macon free throws and needing a 3-pointer to force overtime, Ole Miss missed a layup and two 3-pointers on their final possession and could only watch in frustration as Justas Furmanavicius scored on a layup as time expired.

"You know, we chart 50-50 balls, and this team, it's really amazing that we're sitting here at 20-13. We've been under, terribly under on 50-50 balls," Ole Miss coach Andy Kennedy said. "If the ball is between us and you get it just based on effort, then that's a possession where you wanted it more than I wanted. I'm sitting here looking at it and it was 14-5 them over us."

The loss to the Razorbacks was par for the course for this Ole Miss team. All season, without a single hiccup, Ole Miss defeated inferior teams. It couldn't have been more consistent in that regard. There were no slip-ups, no losses in Starkville or Auburn or Columbia, Mo. The Rebels went undefeated against teams with RPIs above 100.

However, this team isn't partying Sunday afternoon because it couldn't close the deal in one opportunity game after another. Teams make the NCAA tournament by accumulating top-25, top-50 and top-100 RPI wins. Ole Miss simply didn't pick up enough of them.

The Rebels were 0-3 against top-25 RPI teams, 2-7 against teams ranked 26-50 and 1-3 against teams ranked between 51 and 100 in RPI. That won't do it. Arkansas entered Friday's game with an RPI of 30.

IronMountainHog

rtr

I admit, I like Andy Kennedy.  I hope the SEC gets a sixth team in the dance tomorrow.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

jbcarol

Razorback_Mack

He's exactly right. It's much easier to make it a bowl game than it is to make the NCAA/NIT. Just do the math.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: rtr on March 11, 2017, 08:21:01 am
I admit, I like Andy Kennedy.  I hope the SEC gets a sixth team in the dance tomorrow.

You might not say that if they had stayed at your hotel. I met him when they did one time. Standoffish and arrogant is my best descriptions after meeting him. Remember that incident. I believe it was in Cincinnati. I gotta admit the team was well behaved while in my hotel.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

IronMountainHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 11, 2017, 09:18:11 am
You might not say that if they had stayed at your hotel. I met him when they did one time. Standoffish and arrogant is my best descriptions after meeting him. Remember that incident. I believe it was in Cincinnati. I gotta admit the team was well behaved while in my hotel.
Wonder if it was during this trip to Cincinnati lol?

Police arrested Mississippi men's basketball coach Andy Kennedy early Thursday after a cab driver said the coach punched him while calling him "bin Laden" and other racial insults.

A pretrial hearing has been set for Jan. 16. Kennedy was charged with a first-degree misdemeanor count of assault, which would carry a maximum sentence of six months in jail for conviction.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: IronMountainHog on March 11, 2017, 09:44:56 am
Wonder if it was during this trip to Cincinnati lol?

Police arrested Mississippi men's basketball coach Andy Kennedy early Thursday after a cab driver said the coach punched him while calling him "bin Laden" and other racial insults.

A pretrial hearing has been set for Jan. 16. Kennedy was charged with a first-degree misdemeanor count of assault, which would carry a maximum sentence of six months in jail for conviction.

Yep. That's the one. I heard the tape of what he said. He's lucky he wasn't fired.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi