Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Predictions--SEC Tourney--Game 1

Started by Razorod, March 10, 2017, 06:31:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorod

Don't have a good feeling about this one:

Hogs 80
OM--84
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

hawgsalot

It takes a bit to get going expect a huge 2nd half
92-82 HOGs

Razorod

I hope so. My concern is a slow start and we never can quite get over the hump. I think we do mount a come back, but come up short.

Also, a win today might put OM back on the bubble. They will be highly motivated by that and revenge.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

GuvHog

Quote from: Razorod on March 10, 2017, 07:54:39 am
I hope so. My concern is a slow start and we never can quite get over the hump. I think we do mount a come back, but come up short.

Also, a win today might put OM back on the bubble. They will be highly motivated by that and revenge.

Having had to play his starters for most of the game last night, the Ole Miss coach will have to substitute more than he usually does in the first half to keep his players legs as fresh as possible so that should play to the Hogs advantage because the Hogs bench is deeper than the Rebels..

Hogs 89

Rebels 79
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

bphi11ips

Quote from: GuvHog on March 10, 2017, 08:18:55 am
Having had to play his starters for most of the game last night, the Ole Miss coach will have to substitute more than he usually does in the first half to keep his players legs as fresh as possible so that should play to the Hogs advantage because the Hogs bench is deeper than the Rebels..

Hogs 89

Rebels 79

This
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Hawg Red

Man, I'm a little worried. They have some athletic guards, on a neutral court now. They did play last night so that may be a factor. We might come out rusty having not played in almost a week. I thought they might be able to come steal one in BWA arena when played previously this season. Andy Kennedy has been successful against the Hogs. He's 12-6 vs Arkansas as the HC at Ole Miss. This is the first neutral court matchup. I wanted to be the 4 seed because I would have been completely confident in beating Bama.

I don't know if we'll win or not. My only prediction is that it'll be a tough game.

Dwight_K_Shrute

I'm a little concerned mainly because OM has a game under their belt.  They have first game rust knocked off and familiarity with the arena/court.  I was a little worried by the fact that they scored 86 pts but then I pulled up the box score and saw that they shot 23 of 55 overall so not great.  3pt % 43% on 9/21 which isn't bad.

I didn't watch the game last night just followed the score.  The stat that really stands out is 31 of 47 FT attempts.  How the hell do you get 47 attempts.  I heard the game was chippy but that is beyond ridiculous.  Missouri had 29 fouls called against them to OM's 14.  The disparity is just absurd.

Refs decide to insert themselves into our game like that there is no telling what happens.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

hobhog

Quote from: GuvHog on March 10, 2017, 08:18:55 am

Hogs 89

Rebels 79

College players don't wear out after one game.

gmarv

I,m not scare of Ole Miss. hogs 84-Ole Miss. 72 we are just better.

I think we pull this one off. But... can't help but think of last year's SECT when Dusty was the only one that didnt have led in his shoes. Hogs 83-77

Also, selfishly want to see this Razorback team have another chance at Florida. Given they beat Vandy.

Jackrabbit Hog

Who knows?  Which team will show up for us?

I think if Barford goes off early and Moses neutralizes Saez (or whatever his name is), we will win.  But it's all confidence with this bunch.  I don't think we can dig ourselves a deep hole and expect to crawl out of it again.  I say we start quickly and hold off the Black Bears at the end.

UA  82
OM  78
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 10, 2017, 09:00:17 am

I think if Barford goes off early and Moses neutralizes Saez (or whatever his name is), we will win.  But it's all confidence with this bunch.  I don't think we can dig ourselves a deep hole and expect to crawl out of it again.  I say we start quickly and hold off the Black Bears at the end.

UA  82
OM  78
You know damn good and well that we'll start slowly and our depth will prevail down the stretch.

riccoar

Quote from: hobhog on March 10, 2017, 08:53:38 am
College players don't play back to back nights during the season eiher.  That being said, every team besides Kentucky, Florida, Arkansas, and South Carolina knows they have one shot at getting called on Sunday.  And that's to be playing on Sunday.

Hollywood_HOGan45

I would be worried but one of their main guards isn't 100% coming off of a game the night before.

I think we wear them down in the 2nd.

Hogs by 12.

Corkscrew Johnson

The Hogs run into trouble when we take bad shots early.  Then we fall behind.  We have come back a few times, but generally speaking no one wants to start in a hole. 

We tend to play this way in bigger games.  Maybe it's the jitters, or maybe it's the opposite and we get ourselves overhyped.  Regardless, any game that has something on the line makes me nervous.  I hope we settle early, pass the ball, get it down low to Moses, and make a concerted effort to get Dusty a few looks.

Rawker

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 10, 2017, 09:05:37 am
You know damn good and well that we'll start slowly and our depth will prevail down the stretch.

Yes, every shred of data tells you this.  One mitigating factor is that OM has to go for broke, and it looked like it last night.  I think they look very focused and very fiery, and with the Hogs needing to warm up, this game is going to be painful for a while.  I'm hoping they get hot in the second half, as they have done, but given the intensity of a tournament, I think OM keeps up their desperation and hits shots bigger than they normally would, neutralizing the Hogs' slight superiority.  OM - 87.  Hogs - 82.

Breems

I think we'll be fine.

Kennedy has always done well against us, usually by having 1 exceptional scorer and then a few tough offensive rebounders to clean up the rest of the team's mess.

I don't think they have enough offense this year. We've been able to overpower most average teams this year with our offensive weapons. We've also performed well away from home.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

riccoar

Didn't get to see the game.  But looking at the box score, JEEZ!  Only one thing stood out.  Ole Miss shot 47 Free Throws to Mizzous 13.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 10, 2017, 09:00:17 am

UA  82
OM  78

Need a lot of Trey and Moses in together to neutralize him.  Trey had a great game against them the first time.  23 min, 8 pts, 8 reb, 3 blks, 3 stls, 3 assts, and only 1 pf.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

azhog10

Quote from: hobhog on March 10, 2017, 08:53:38 am
Tell that to Miss. St. They looked completely wore down last night after playing the night before.

azhog10

Quote from: riccoar on March 10, 2017, 09:36:43 am
Didn't get to see the game.  But looking at the box score, JEEZ!  Only one thing stood out.  Ole Miss shot 47 Free Throws to Mizzous 13.
Ole Miss was in the double bonus before the 10 minute mark in both quarters while OM had committed maybe 4 fouls. Was one of those "SEC" hack jobs.

riccoar

Quote from: azhog10 on March 10, 2017, 09:41:04 am
Ole Miss was in the double bonus before the 10 minute mark in both quarters while OM had committed maybe 4 fouls. Was one of those "SEC" hack jobs.
I looked at the other SECT games box scores too.  All others were low on PF, except the Mizz and Auburn game.  Lots of PF's in that one too.

Atlhogfan1

OM shot 47 FTs vs Mizzou.  Saiz has shot 197 FTs on the season including 16 last night.   

OM is #1 in college basketball in FTAs per game at 27.  They shot 27 in BWA.  But so did we. 

I would guess this 3 pt stat from our earlier game will have to reverse along with OM gaining a FT advantage if OM is to keep up offensively:

Hogs were 12-29 from 3
OM was 8-27 from 3 in earlier game

There is sometimes something to that first game in a tournament and getting off to a slow start.  Plus a non-basketball specific arena shooting background and the Hogs will be the last team to play.  Hope all of this doesn't add up to another slow start and early large deficit. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HawgHeadCheese

We will dominate this game from the beginning.  I got Hogs by 12.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: riccoar on March 10, 2017, 09:46:57 am
I looked at the other SECT games box scores too.  All others were low on PF, except the Mizz and Auburn game.  Lots of PF's in that one too.

One common official in those two games.  Anthony Greene

Hawgball94

I just don't think Ole Miss plays good enough defense to beat us. We are pretty good when scoring 80+. I think we win by 10 or more.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Hawg Red

Quote from: Hawgball94 on March 10, 2017, 10:17:35 am
I just don't think Ole Miss plays good enough defense to beat us. We are pretty good when scoring 80+. I think we win by 10 or more.

15-0 on the season when we score 80.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 10, 2017, 10:32:04 am
Everyone got their gear on?

As Randy Rainwater would say, "I've got my Razorback red underwear on today."

Hanes, if you must know...
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

elksnort

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 10, 2017, 10:36:37 am
15-0 on the season when we score 80.
THIS^^^^

I know defense in sports is very important, but the Razorbacks in football and basketball recently depend on offense. If we are moving the ball around and taking it to the hole, we will win.

revolution

Here's the start I hope for:
Macon drains the opening 3.
Barford drives for two.
Barford drives again and dishes out to Dusty for 3.
Moses with the slam!

10-4 Hogs in first 3 mins.

Make it so!

Hawgball94

FATHAWG08

Feel Good about the Hogs in the Post Season. Beat Ole Miss 81-73. Get revenge on Florida 85-79. Play Kentucky tough get beat 89-83. Hogs get a 7 seed in the dance. :razorback:
I love off season Football!!

HF#1

They haven't been good defensively and we will get to their legs in the 2nd half.

82-71 Hogs get the W
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on March 10, 2017, 11:33:02 am
Feel Good about the Hogs in the Post Season. Beat Ole Miss 81-73. Get revenge on Florida 85-79. Play Kentucky tough get beat 89-83. Hogs get a 7 seed in the dance. :razorback:

I would sign up for that in a heartbeat.

code red

We always shoot poorly in Nashville.  It will be close.  I see a fail. 
78-73 Ole Miss.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

daprospecta

I feel like this is the first time since 2014-2015 that the pressure is not on this team to win. They are in. They can improve their seeding at this point.  They will respond in one of two ways IMO, they will play loose and dominate because they are on fresh legs and the pressure is off or they will play loose and undisciplined and lose.

redleg

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 10, 2017, 09:53:38 am
One common official in those two games.  Anthony Greene
Is he a bad official, and is he officiating the Hogs game tonight?
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Breems

Quote from: daprospecta on March 10, 2017, 12:02:43 pm
I feel like this is the first time since 2014-2015 that the pressure is not on this team to win. They are in. They can improve their seeding at this point.  They will respond in one of two ways IMO, they will play loose and dominate because they are on fresh legs and the pressure is off or they will play loose and undisciplined and lose.

Intensity shouldn't be a problem. Every team in the tournament is playing for a conference championship.

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on March 10, 2017, 12:03:49 pm
I'm tentative about this one because of how well they played last night

Remember that they played Missouri.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Breems on March 10, 2017, 12:21:52 pm
Intensity shouldn't be a problem. Every team in the tournament is playing for a conference championship.

And all of them care about a conference championship, except Kentucky (according to Cal).

Dwight_K_Shrute

I hope they read Wolken tweets for motivation.

code red

Quote from: Breems on March 10, 2017, 12:21:52 pm

Remember that they played Missouri.
And won.....ahhemm??
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

NuttinItUp

Let's beat those Rebels....Black Bears....whatever they are.

solitons

GuvHog

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on March 10, 2017, 12:03:49 pm
Most of the games that I didn't have a good feeling about we won going away. I'm tentative about this one because of how well they played last night and our luck they'll be in a groove while we get off to another slow start after long layoff. BUT, the Rebs playing yesterday (despite getting to sit some key players late) will wear our late since it'll be a back and forth game. Kingsley and Saiz go back and forth, but Hogs make key stops and free throws after getting into the legs of Ole Miss and win 87-79.

The Rebels didn't start sitting key players until a little over a minute was left in the game. Mizzou kept it close enough that Ole Miss had to play their starters much longer than Kennedy wanted to.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

TheRazorback500

Do you wanna get Rocked?

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Razorod on March 10, 2017, 07:54:39 am

They mostly come back to win...But I think we got this one.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8