Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FINAL in OT Mizzou 86, Auburn 83 2017 SEC MBB Tourney Game 2

Started by jbcarol, March 08, 2017, 12:06:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/matthewcstevens/status/839532611122970624

QuoteAUBURN – It's a good thing that Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl doesn't know for sure how many games his team needs to win this week to safely secure a bid to the National Invitational Tournament.

That fact that number is an unknown entity means Pearl is only sure of one thing: If Auburn keeps winning, they'll play in some form of postseason.

"I think it would take a couple (wins), and so that's a number that gives me a little bit of flexibility," Pearl said Monday about Auburn's NIT chances. "That's what I think it would take but I don't really know."

Auburn (18-13) has already had the best regular season under Pearl and will have its first winning season since qualifying for the 2009 NIT after a 24-win campaign under Jeff Lebo. This Auburn squad, which has three freshmen and a redshirt freshman in the starting lineup, will try to replicate the magic of the 2015 Southeastern Conference Tournament run in Nashville when Auburn won three games in three days to get to the semifinal against No. 1 Kentucky.

"They made their mark on Auburn basketball history," Pearl said.

The very next thought in Pearl's mind however, probably signifying the classic mind of a coach, is the embarrassing effort his squad showed last season in a 97-59 loss in the first round of the SEC Tournament to Tennessee, Pearl's former employer.

"Last year we went up there with having had a lot of injuries and really not having — we had lost three point guards," Pearl said. "We lost Tahj Shamsid-Deen, Kareem Canty...We had a better team, we had a more talented team, but we were just too short in the backcourt and Tennessee played great."

Just three days after defeating Missouri 89-78 in Auburn Arena Saturday, Auburn will try to defeat the league's last place team again for the third time this season. Earlier this week, Missouri (7-23) announced head coach Kim Anderson will be fired following the conclusion of his team's run in the conference tournament. Anderson said on the SEC teleconference this week that he was informed three games ago that he would not be retained and that timeline indicates he knew his career fate before arriving in Auburn last weekend.

"I told Kim Anderson before the game what a great coach I thought he was and how hard he is to prepare for," Pearl said.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Dave Matter‏Verified account @Dave_Matter Mar 7

Missouri is the only team without a player on the All-SEC first team, second team, freshman team or defensive team
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/WesleySinor/status/839537436833300481

QuoteBruce Pearl's young team already defeated struggling Missouri twice this season, but can't afford to take anyone lightly at this point. Auburn will likely have to make it three in a row against Missouri and notch a win in the second round for a shot at postseason play in the NIT.

"We're excited about going up to Nashville and playing what is going to be a very competitive SEC Tournament," Pearl said during Monday morning press conference. "We're going to take it one game at a time, one step at a time. We have to focus all of our attention on Missouri.

"It's hard to beat a good team three times. We played very well at home on Senior Night with a lot of emotion and it was just a 10-point win. Obviously Missouri has got a lot to play for."

Auburn, the No. 11 seed at the tournament, has lost five of its last seven games. The team capped the regular season at 18-13 overall and 7-11 in SEC play with an 89-79 win over Missouri Saturday. Auburn also defeated Missouri 77-72 in Columbia, Mo., in January.

No. 14 seed Missouri (7-23, 2-16) has stumbled this season with losses in 20 of its last 22 games. As a result, Missouri has decided to let go head coach Kim Anderson at the end of the season.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Dave Matter‏Verified account @Dave_Matter 8m8 minutes ago

That's a winner. Puryear with the game-winning 3. Mizzou 86, Auburn 83

Anderson walks past the Mizzou crowd pumping his fist. What a scene

jbcarol

Matthew Stevens‏ @matthewcstevens 8m8 minutes ago

Final at Bridgestone Arena: Missouri 86, Auburn 83 - Auburn falls to 18-14 and loses to RPI No. 263 Missouri in SEC Tournament 1st round.

jbcarol