Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

JL in executive session now

Started by ballz2thewall, November 09, 2017, 09:49:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgon

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 09, 2017, 11:07:57 am
OFFS there is not some wild malfeasance going on.  Although everyone wants a better FB product, the BOT and Chancellor JS do not revolve around on field performance.  The UofA is a well run, growing, prospering, pragmatic, university.  The fact that BB is 4-5 and should have lost to Coastal does not mean the University is going down the tubes, officials are absconding with boatloads of cash or anything untoward.  It means an under-performing coach needs to be dealt with.  It's a personnel matter that should be discussed in ES, and it is.  We do not have to know every GD detail.  All I care about is that it will be resolved.  Side note:  If they happen to discuss the Coke Pepsi thing, I'm ok with that as well.

With the exception of Vanderbilt, none of the SEC schools are thought if as academic powerhouses.  Some are actually pretty good, like Florida, but that isn't their draw.

For every single SEC school besides Vanderbilt and Kentucky (basketball) the football program is the most visible and important marketing tool.  Being respectable on the field actually is really important to the school as a whole.

hoglady

Quote from: Pathological on November 09, 2017, 10:15:28 am
If Long is fired or contract not renewed or whatever...if Long is out...whether right or wrong...whether you agree or disagree with decision...the national media is going to rake UA over the coals like never before.  Whether you think this is a good decision or bad, this will be a dark dark day for UA if Long is let go.

Decisions like this shouldn't be made based on National media perception. They know nothing about Arkansas and don't really care anyway. The National media doesn't have some inside tract that gives them a better perspective on Arkansas athletics than the BOT and University president.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Ā 

hogmolar

Quote from: HoggyCat on November 09, 2017, 10:51:41 am
And what if BOT fires said chancellor??

And what if they invoke "vested interest"??
Then everyone can say welcome back GOBN!!

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: Karma on November 09, 2017, 11:09:48 am
If indeed the chancellor is on the hot seat. It's a lot bigger than football. Would have to be financial problems undisclosed.
Valid point and could be non-football related.  But a very poor football program in the midst of a large stadium expansion project is indeed a financial problem.

MrKlem10

Called it on Monday and my thread was trashed.   We shall see if it comes to light.

HogPharmer

Quote from: rhames on November 09, 2017, 10:56:47 am

WILDCARD

No bathroom breaks! No food! No water! The BOT will be forced to either make a decision or to become savages, feasting upon one another until only one remains! Last man standing has final say in what goes down.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

azhog10

Quote from: Porked Tongue on November 09, 2017, 11:11:25 am
Mayberry and Haydar are gone. 

(Back to ignore)
LOLZ.....Buh bye! What do you think happens to Grad Assistants after they graduate. If that was the intent of your post back then, then you were straight trolling and you are a moderator......pretty sad.

The NewEra

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 09, 2017, 11:03:12 am
That letter was dumb.

It's hard to be taken seriously when you write that type of a letter.

Dropkick

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 09, 2017, 11:07:57 am
OFFS there is not some wild malfeasance going on.  Although everyone wants a better FB product, the BOT and Chancellor JS do not revolve around on field performance.  The UofA is a well run, growing, prospering, pragmatic, university.  The fact that BB is 4-5 and should have lost to Coastal does not mean the University is going down the tubes, officials are absconding with boatloads of cash or anything untoward.  It means an under-performing coach needs to be dealt with.  It's a personnel matter that should be discussed in ES, and it is.  We do not have to know every GD detail.  All I care about is that it will be resolved.  Side note:  If they happen to discuss the Coke Pepsi thing, I'm ok with that as well. 
THIS!

Jim Harris

Quote from: hawgon on November 09, 2017, 11:11:42 am
With the exception of Vanderbilt, none of the SEC schools are thought if as academic powerhouses.  Some are actually pretty good, like Florida, but that isn't their draw.

For every single SEC school besides Vanderbilt and Kentucky (basketball) the football program is the most visible and important marketing tool.  Being respectable on the field actually is really important to the school as a whole.

You need to check what's going on at Alabama if you believe they are not positioning themselves already as an Academic Powerhouse along the lines of a U of Michigan, UNC, UVa, public Ivy type school.
Florida has rated highly as an academic school according to U.S. News and World Report and other rankings. University of Georgia as well.

"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

The Kig

Quote from: ricepig on November 09, 2017, 10:42:33 am
My boys are a financial analyst in Chicago and a sophomore in high school, lol.

Do either of them have wings? 
Poker Porker

Grag T

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 09, 2017, 11:05:42 am
The author clearly confused email with a message board.

Hahahaha you just nailed it.

Someone should've told that dunce-ski that if his letter sounds like something randomly posted on hogville, he probably needs to scrap the whole thing and start over.
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde

hawgon

Quote from: Jim Harris on November 09, 2017, 11:17:46 am
You need to check what's going on at Alabama if you believe they are not positioning themselves already as an Academic Powerhouse along the lines of a U of Michigan, UNC, UVa, public Ivy type school.
Florida has rated highly as an academic school according to U.S. News and World Report and other rankings. University of Georgia as well.

And what is giving them the visibility to make that transition?

Ā 

HoggyCat

I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

HoggyCat

I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Jim Harris

Quote from: hawgon on November 09, 2017, 11:19:07 am

Football is helping tremendously, no doubt. Alabama's enrollment has gone nuts in the years that Saban has been there. And that's even with students who get tickets and then leave at halftime and piss him off.

You still have to have the academics and the professors. Alabama has been doing that and then some as they build a university the football team can be proud of.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

hawgon

Quote from: Jim Harris on November 09, 2017, 11:21:22 am
Football is helping tremendously, no doubt. Alabama's enrollment has gone nuts in the years that Saban has been there. And that's even with students who get tickets and then leave at halftime and piss him off.

You still have to have the academics and the professors. Alabama has been doing that and then some as they build a university the football team can be proud of.

Where did they get the money to fund those academics and professors?

Hou-Hog

Quote from: hawgon on November 09, 2017, 11:11:42 am

wrong.  Florida is rated very well.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: zerose on November 09, 2017, 11:11:35 am
I am not a regular poster on this board. I do read from time to time because I am a diehard hog fan. If you check my previous post I have been able to predict/leak some things. I am making another "prediction". Long will not survive after this meeting today. I am not claiming he is gone today (I don't know that for sure). But he will not be here in one year's time. If you want to know the reason's why read some of my other posts.

I, for one, would like to see you post more often!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

hogsanity

Quote from: hawgon on November 09, 2017, 11:22:12 am
Where did they get the money to fund those academics and professors?

You pay tuition lately?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HogPharmer

Quote from: rhames on November 09, 2017, 11:11:09 am

I think people are expecting some scene from the apprentice where they shout "you're fired "
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Inhogswetrust

November 09, 2017, 11:25:36 am #171 Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 11:37:20 am by Inhogswetrust

Yep. The only one close to an Ivy league type school is Vandy. BUT there are some really good schools in the SEC and I include Arkansas in that list. With as many universities/colleges as there are all over the whole country the rankings for most SEC schools is not bad.
Only one ranks below 175 in the latest IUS News rankings and it isn't Arkansas. It' MSU at 176. Nine rank between 133 to 100. FIVE rank in the top 100 with Vandy topping out at 15th. That's not bad but other P5 conferences are ranked better overall.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hawgon

Quote from: Hou-Hog on November 09, 2017, 11:22:30 am
wrong.  Florida is rated very well.

So, how do I know that you barely even skimmed what I wrote?

Godfather

I about had a heart attack when I read this threads title.  Here's where my brain went.  I guess you mean a different JL.  ;)
WPS to the end.

Ā 

Razorbackers

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 09, 2017, 11:23:45 am
I, for one, would like to see you post more often!

I agree, we need more guys with credible sources on here.

hogsanity

Quote from: ModestoHOG63 on November 09, 2017, 11:31:10 am
It will be the dawn of a new day.            ( Who gives a crap what the outside world thinks.)

Hog fans must care, otherwise they would not post all the time about the rest of the sec thinking we are a joke, or how embarrassed they are by what the football team did in their last game.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GuvHog

Quote from: ModestoHOG63 on November 09, 2017, 11:31:10 am
It will be the dawn of a new day.            ( Who gives a crap what the outside world thinks.)

Exactly. Very well put.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Gonzo

Quote from: Pathological on November 09, 2017, 10:15:28 am
If Long is fired or contract not renewed or whatever...if Long is out...whether right or wrong...whether you agree or disagree with decision...the national media is going to rake UA over the coals like never before.  Whether you think this is a good decision or bad, this will be a dark dark day for UA if Long is let go.

The UA getting rid of JL and/or BB will hardly be move the national radar. As much as we love the program and the school, the UA is just not that important nationally.

Go Hogs!

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 09, 2017, 11:01:25 am
Yep common sense. 
JL:  Ok Bert's gone, this is our plan. 
BOT:  Chancellor Steinmetz do you concur?
JS:  Dilly Dilly
BOT: Dilly Dilly
+1000
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

hawgon

Now reported that Jeff Long is back outside the room where the executive session is being held while Steinmetz and the BOT are still in there.

hogginbama

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 09, 2017, 10:52:31 am
Read this.

https://twitter.com/TyThomason/status/928664377414299648

I just love how folks try to show intelligence, then revert to childish, 5 y/o games of name calling. Does it make the writer of that email feel more intelligent or more manly to his wife by using names such as "Jabba the Hut". Folks outside the state of Arkansas might take those from the state a little more serious about things if they didn't try to prove their manliness by demeaning others.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Cylinder

We will not almost lose to Coastal.

[SLAMS HAND ON CONFERENCE TABLE]

That's an infamnia!

porque

This is very true.  I have a junior and senior high student with very high test scores.  Alabama has been the most aggressive at recruiting my kids.  We visited over the summer.  They are much more aggressive than Arkansas about going after high achieving students.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: porque on November 09, 2017, 11:47:18 am
This is very true.  I have a junior and senior high student with very high test scores.  Alabama has been the most aggressive at recruiting my kids.  We visited over the summer.  They are much more aggressive than Arkansas about going after high achieving students.
They need tutors for their football players. J/K
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

The Kig

Quote from: hawgon on November 09, 2017, 11:19:07 am

Football success...and raising the standards in many of the schools.  My daughter is in nursing school there.  They do 2 years of core work and make a cut based on number of slots available.  In her "cut" year, the line was somewhere above a 3.9 GPA, which is what one of her friends who didn't make it got.  Does that translate to all of the student body?  No, there are still stupid frat kids with 0.5 GPAs, but the expectations are high for others.
Poker Porker

Tusks

https://twitter.com/TyThomason/status/928678609824419840

This is the pic of man who's balls are now next to rick schaffer's somewhere in the athletic department.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

BallHog1

I think what he meant to say is the success of the football team is really important to him. What he wrote was a lot of hot air.

Razorbackers

Quote from: tusked on November 09, 2017, 11:55:00 am
https://twitter.com/TyThomason/status/928678609824419840

This is the pic of man who's balls are now next to rick schaffer's somewhere in the athletic department.

Or...he's reading.

BR

Tyler Thomason‏ @TyThomason  3m
3 minutes ago

More
Jeff Long up walking around outside executive session room. We've now surpassed three hours.
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

cosmodrum

Quote from: Cylinder on November 09, 2017, 11:46:26 am
We will not almost lose to Coastal.

[SLAMS HAND ON CONFERENCE TABLE]

That's an infamnia!

Best movie ever made.
Go away, batin'

Tusks

longbore

Wonder if Some PTB were led to believe the buyout was the larger number like the casual fans were.

rhames

Quote from: longbore on November 09, 2017, 11:58:58 am
Wonder if Some PTB were led to believe the buyout was the larger number like the casual fans were.

If by ptb, you mean bot they approved the contract. Lol. Would be their own fault.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Tusks

rogersvillemohog

A 3+ hour executive meeting cannot be good for Long, right? At the very least, we will at least see some changes from him, I'm willing to bet. At the very most, he's gone. I can't imagine them just sitting in there for 3+ hours just twiddling their thumbs.
Arkansas Football: It's the players running through the A, Hog Hats, and Big Red. It's more than 70,000 fans calling, "WOO PIG SOOIE!"

Arkansas Football: It's the State of Arkansas banding together behind one team, and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are... chosen. They wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks.

Together we stand as tall as the towers of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walk. And our blood flows Razorbacks Red. For 100 years we've been Hogwild and today we continue the tradition.

We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: tusked on November 09, 2017, 10:33:02 am

Well I'll say based on the cult on the board today.  The #uncommon crowd is going to go out chanting.

I don't know why that made me laugh, but it could be because it reminded me of this...

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

hogsanity

Quote from: porque on November 09, 2017, 11:47:18 am

Many schools go after high achieving students from out of state because they take so many soso students from in state. You ever look at the grade requirements to get a lottery scholarship in Ar? Not exactly high end students right there.

hawgon

Quote from: rogersvillemohog on November 09, 2017, 12:01:49 pm
A 3+ hour executive meeting cannot be good for Long, right? At the very least, we will at least see some changes from him, I'm willing to bet. At the very most, he's gone. I can't imagine them just sitting in there for 3+ hours just twiddling their thumbs.

Oh no, it's perfectly normal to keep a million dollar a year employee out in the Hall cooling his heels for three hours.  Just ask some of the guys on this board.

HogPharmer

Quote from: BR on November 09, 2017, 11:57:50 am
Tyler Thomason‏ @TyThomason  3m
3 minutes ago

More
Jeff Long up walking around outside executive session room. We've now surpassed three hours.

$20 says the BOT is just sitting in that room reading this thread seeing how long this thread will go on while coinciding with their top secret meeting.