Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New crossbow

Started by PharmacistHog, August 12, 2014, 10:55:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PharmacistHog

Okay, I don't want a bunch of lip from the "purists". I have a compound bow (which that isnt even good enough for some folks) but with work and husbandly duties and being a daddy (not father-a DADDY) to my two boys, I just dont have time to put in the practice which would give me comfort and confidence in NOT injuring a deer and not being able to recover it. So here's the question: anybody here familiar with some of these newer crossbows and do you have any advice or any discussion on one over another. I'm looking at mainly barnetts and ten points but am open to any advice I can get.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Virgil

Can't ever go wrong with a Horten.  I've used them for years. 
It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

95_alum

Have you looked at the TAC 15?

PharmacistHog

Quote from: 95_alum on August 26, 2014, 04:06:25 pm
Have you looked at the TAC 15?

I've looked at them. From all the reading I've done it seems the Ten Points are the way to go. I just wondered if anybody here had any experience with some of them. I have a barnett quad but its older and I want a new one. Just haven't had time to practice like I should with my bow and dont see it letting up any and I dont wanna go out and wound one cuz I'm not practiced up.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

grayhawg

Quote from: PharmacistHog on August 26, 2014, 09:36:16 pm
I've looked at them. From all the reading I've done it seems the Ten Points are the way to go. I just wondered if anybody here had any experience with some of them. I have a barnett quad but its older and I want a new one. Just haven't had time to practice like I should with my bow and dont see it letting up any and I dont wanna go out and wound one cuz I'm not practiced up.
10 years ago when I had shoulder surgery I bought a Ten Point Titan and used it 2 years it did a good job for me, but I have nothing to compare it with because it is the only crossbow I have ever shot.

LittlePigMan

I would go with a ten point.  I hear lots of bad things about the barnetts. They do come with a five year warranty but still there is the hassle and expense of shipping one off for repairs.

I would also stay away from used hortons since they went out of business and parts are getting harder and harder to find.  Ten Point has bought the Horton name but they will not service or sell parts for older hortons. All the old inventory in the old Horton factory was auctioned off.  Ten Point will start selling a line under the Horton name in 2015.

You don't have to break the bank to get a ten point either. The Titan Xtreme is a proven workhorse with decent speed at 315 FPS. 

http://www.wyverncreations.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=77&products_id=223

Just remember to keep your thumb and fingers out of the way of the string and cables!!! Fortunately most newer models have guards in place to help with this.

JaketheSnake

Shoot a Parker!  They dont advertise much but they make a great product.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: LittlePigMan on August 27, 2014, 01:20:35 pm
I would go with a ten point.  I hear lots of bad things about the barnetts. They do come with a five year warranty but still there is the hassle and expense of shipping one off for repairs.

I would also stay away from used hortons since they went out of business and parts are getting harder and harder to find.  Ten Point has bought the Horton name but they will not service or sell parts for older hortons. All the old inventory in the old Horton factory was auctioned off.  Ten Point will start selling a line under the Horton name in 2015.

You don't have to break the bank to get a ten point either. The Titan Xtreme is a proven workhorse with decent speed at 315 FPS. 

http://www.wyverncreations.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=77&products_id=223

Just remember to keep your thumb and fingers out of the way of the string and cables!!! Fortunately most newer models have guards in place to help with this.

I've got a barnett quad 300 but had it restrung and my dads gonna use it. I just want a newer higher quality one. I buying a new one. Ive killed many deer with an old foxfire so I'm familiar with crossbows, but they've changed so much I just wanted some opinions.

LittlePigMan

I hear that. Never been a better time to be looking. Lots of great bows on the market these days. 

Here is one you may not have heard about. CAMX aren't really well known but from what I've read the people that have them really like them and they are supposed to be great quality.

http://www.camxcrossbows.com/

CDBHawg

Quote from: PharmacistHog on August 12, 2014, 10:55:43 pm
Okay, I don't want a bunch of lip from the "purists". I have a compound bow (which that isnt even good enough for some folks) but with work and husbandly duties and being a daddy (not father-a DADDY) to my two boys, I just dont have time to put in the practice which would give me comfort and confidence in NOT injuring a deer and not being able to recover it. So here's the question: anybody here familiar with some of these newer crossbows and do you have any advice or any discussion on one over another. I'm looking at mainly barnetts and ten points but am open to any advice I can get.

Barnett Ghost 410

PharmacistHog

I
Just dnt want another barnett. Hv had 2. Ready to try new brand.

pigture perfect

Horton w/ red dot. Can't go wrong.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

JaketheSnake

Quote from: pigture perfect on September 19, 2014, 12:31:00 am
Horton w/ red dot. Can't go wrong.
Horton hasnt built a new crossbow in a couple years.  They were bought out by TenPoint.  They are going to start manufacturing Horton again soon though.

kodiakisland

Quote from: PharmacistHog on August 12, 2014, 10:55:43 pm

I wouldn't worry about the purists.  If you can hunt for several years with a crossbow and not have a story about the one you shot and couldn't find, you'll be well ahead of them.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/