Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

updates on today's softball game with ulm

Started by flippinhogmana, April 19, 2017, 04:49:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

would someone please post updates on the game-I am completely shut out because I dont have SEC tv and neither school is posting stat updates it appears.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

ricepig

3-3 after 3 1/2, I don't have any other details, Storms was pitching. I just caught it on the SEC Network.

ricepig

Hogs score 5 in the bottom of the 4th, all with two outs.

psycHOGlogist

Hogs win 9-3. We looked good on offense, but the defense (and specifically Belans) had a sloppy game in the field with 2 errors. Either 2 or all 3 of ULM's runs were unearned. Hedgcock started the game but didn't have her best stuff (and she seemed a little rattled by the miscues behind her), so Storms came in and did an okay job behind her. Not her best night, either, but imo the ump had a bit of a wacky strike zone.

Still and all, big and fairly easy win for the Hogs. Now they travel to Starkville for a pretty important road series against the M$U Bulldogs. WPS!

flippinhogmana

April 19, 2017, 08:18:47 pm #4 Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 10:12:29 pm by flippinhogmana
glad to see some things I hoped for in another thread maybe coming on-Yani stroked her second home run in the last week, maybe getting her stroke back to what it was early in the year.  Nicole Schroeder also had two hits, one a double.  She might be reacquiring her stroke and confidence as well.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: flippinhogmana on April 19, 2017, 08:18:47 pm
glad to see some things I ho-ed for in another thread maybe coming on-Yani stroked her second home run in the last week, maybe getting her stroke back to what it was early in the year.  Nicole Schroeder also had two hits, one a double.  She might be reacquiring her stroke and confidence as well.

I thought of that ... though Nicole's double was a blooper that the LF'er misplayed, but she ended up on 2nd, so it's a double! ;-)

flippinhogmana

April 19, 2017, 10:45:23 pm #6 Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 01:21:14 am by flippinhogmana
Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 19, 2017, 09:20:03 pm
I thought of that ... though Nicole's double was a blooper that the LF'er misplayed, but she ended up on 2nd, so it's a double! ;-)

In many ways hitting is a lot liking shooting from the field in basketball.  If you aren't hitting your shot from the outside, drive for a layup or at least foul shots, a lot of the time that is enough to get a shooter going.  Nicole and Yani have shown signs:  two homers for Yani of late, four hits for Nicole of late, one of them her first homer in SEC play.  Hopeful!

hawg1221

The fielding is terrible. Besides the errors they had other plays that should have been made. This and pitching depth appear to be the 2 biggest weaknesses on the team.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: hawg1221 on April 19, 2017, 11:02:22 pm
The fielding is terrible. Besides the errors they had other plays that should have been made. This and pitching depth appear to be the 2 biggest weaknesses on the team.

I'm not sure which plays you're talking about in the field. The two errors by Belans were both pretty bad, but at least on the second there was a pretty bad hop and the runner was probably pulling her attention off the ball a little bit. The defense is definitely a bit balky at times, but most of the time they get the job done. They do break down when the pressure is on sometimes, but I think some of that is not having much experience playing in close games.

As for the pitching depth, this team has the most depth of any Hog team in a long time. We haven't thrown Moll in a couple weeks, but she is capable of going, and Warrick and Stewart are both available to give innings, if needed. Storms and Hedgcock have been carrying the load well lately, though. Hedgcock seemed to have some trouble with her footing tonight, but overall I didn't think she pitched badly. What did you see that you didn't like so much?

nwahogfan1

I loved the game. SS made a couple errors but she also made some good plays. and starting mid week pitcher had troubles but considering it was mid week and a no body opponent I thought they played very well.  Concentration is always a concern in these games.

Go Ladies.

hawg1221

Maybe I should have used a different word. They're not terrible, but like CCD said postgame "very shaky". I can't remember the plays, but I thought I had seen a couple more plays where they should have gotten an out at one of the bases and didn't. Regardless, I'm not making a big deal over it. Just an observation. I have a tendency to compare them to the top teams in the SEC and I realize they're not on that level yet; Hence, my comment about pitching depth. I was referring to quality depth.

psycHOGlogist