Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

rematch with Tulsa, start of five game home stand

Started by flippinhogmana, April 11, 2017, 06:06:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

tulsa actually has a wining record 17-13 against the hogs, probably the only sport in which they do.  Hedgcock is starting this game!
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

she strikes out the first two batters swinging on 1-2 counts and get the third on a grounder to Yani at second. 0-0 to the home half of the inning.  Looks like Hedgcock is amped for the start. 
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

Hiers gets ahead 1-0, now 2-1, 3-1, now full, but then strikes out looking trying to draw the walk
Russel gets behind 0-1, then 1-1, 1-2, 2-2, and singles to center, one one, one out for Diaz,
Diaz gets behind 0-1, 1-1, 2-1, 2-2, and Russell is caught trying to steal, two down nobody one,
and then Diaz strikes out looking.  The hogs appear to making the Hurricane pitcher work harder, but it 0-0 heading to the top half of the 2nd.

flippinhogmana

fourth place batter gets behind 0-1, then 0-2 and flies out to cf,
5th place hitter grounds out to ss (belans) on the first pitch she sees, two down,
6th place hitter works a 1-1 count, then pops to Belans, 0-0 to the home half of the 2nd.

flippinhogmana

Belans hits .296 but .424 when leading of an inning (including a couple of homers) gets ahead 1-0, grounds to ss,
Cooper (.303 BA) also gets ahead 1-0, 2-0, 2-1, 2-2, now full, and grounds out to 2nd,
Nicole Schroeder up BA has fallen about 300 points to .350 since conference play started, works 1-1 count, 1-2, 2-2, and then strikes out swinging, 0-0 to the top of the 3rd

flippinhogmana

7th place hitter up for Tulsa (Tulsa hasnt had a base runner) gets ahead 1-0, 1-1, foul pop dropped by Diaz, 1-2, and then flies out to cf, one down
8th place hitter gets ahead 1-0, then grounds out to 2b,
9th place hitter gets behind 1-2, and doubles to cf, runner on second with two down (pr for her)
lead off hitter (.403 BA) gets behind 1-2 and grounds out, 0-0 to the home half of the 3rd

flippinhogmana

Krzysko up, she gets ahead 1-0, 2-0, 3-0, 3-1, now full, flies out to cf in a nine pitch at bat, one down
Yani grounds to 2nd on first pitch, two down
Bugarin works a 1-1 count, 2-1, 2-2, now full, fouls off a couple and flies out to right
It seems like the hogs intend to be patient at the plate and make the Tulsa hurler work, 0-0 to the top of the 4th.

flippinhogmana

1st batter gets behind 0-1 and grounds out to 2nd,
2nd batter gets behind 0-1 and grounds to 1st,
3rd batter pops up...and Caroline is still dealing 0-0 to the bottom of the fourth

psycHOGlogist

Time to get it rolling against this new pitcher. She doesn't look like she has much, tbh. Have to think we'll start touching her up.

psycHOGlogist

flippinhogmana

Since Russel was caught stealing after her single the top of the order is up
Hiers gets behind 0-1, then 1-1, 1-2, 2-2, then grounds out to ss, one down for Russell
Russel booms her second hit on the first pitch a double to cf, one on, one out for Diaz,
Ashley gets ahead 1-0, 2-0, singles, Russell scores and Ashley takes second on the throw 1-0 hogs!
Belans (Beringhele pr for Ashley) flies out to cf on first pitch, runner on second, two down for Cooper
Tori works a 1-1 count, now 2-2, now full, and takes strike three but the hogs have the lead 1-0 to the top of the 5th.

flippinhogmana

I like it too (and was thinking the same)!  box score is screwed up, show 0 hits for TU but they had a double
1st batter grounds out on first pitch
2nd batter gets ahead 1-0, then grounds back to Caroline,
3rd batter pops to 1st on the first pitch she sees 1-0 hogs

psycHOGlogist

Nicole Schroeder really needs to get off the schneid. She looks extremely un-confident up there.

psycHOGlogist

psycHOGlogist

Ugh - Yannetti with the dumb base-running mistake, backs up while running out a sac bunt and gets a dead-ball call, forcing runners to move back to their original bases. Doesn't matter much, though, as Bugarin earns the BB behind her. Bases juiced for Hiers, who is due.

Ex-Hog Hailey Meinen comes in to pitch. Fun!!

psycHOGlogist

Two runs in on Meinen on the Hiers RBI single and a WP -- LOVE IT!

flippinhogmana

time for Nicole Schroeder to get it going (I would prefer her first homer in a while) works 1-1 count, 2-2, 3-2, and then leads off the inning with a single (i'll take it), Parr pr for her, one one, nobody out
Krzysko takes a first pitch strike, now 0-2, 1-2, and singles (after three foul balls) to right field, two on now,
time to be a hero now Yani, but she grounds out to 1b on first pitch, runners cant advance?
Bugarin gets ahead 2-1, then runners advance to 2nd and 3rd on a passed ball, one down still,
and Haydi works a walk to load the bases with one down for Hiers who has a grand slam this year if I remember correctly, and there is a pitching change (the second) new pitcher has a 2-1 record, but not many innings
Shelby gets ahead 1-0, 2-0, 3-0, and singles up the middle for one run 2-) hogs), leaving the bases loaded for Russell who flies out but a wild pitch plates a run for a 3-0 lead and moves the runners to 2nd and 3rd, still one out) for Diaz who walks,
Belans makes the final out but the hogs now have a 3-0 lead for Caroline Hedgcock to the top of the 6th

psycHOGlogist

Flippin with the pbp, and I'm trying to provide color commentary! lol (and sort of failing)

flippinhogmana

psych I think you have the better feed (mine is slow and glitchy) want to share this one with me and take it the rest of the way?

flippinhogmana

nah, you are doing great brother, seriously, lets share, I think you have the better feed

flippinhogmana

see there were two outs already before I got that feed, two down int the top of the 6th for TU
then a single up the middle, one on first two out, only the second hit off Hedgcock,
next batter with a 1-1 count, argh, a throwing error on Belans and now runners on 2nd and 3rd, still 2 down
next batter works a 1-1 count, 2-1, and a wild pitch scores a run, now 3-1, runner on third, count 2-2, but CH gets the out and stops the bleeding 3-1 hogs to the bottom of the 6th.

flippinhogmana

psych, why doesn't the double in the TU 3rd show up in the box score?

psycHOGlogist

Watching on SEC+

Hedgcock's no-hitter broken up by a good single up the middle, and Tulsa gets runners on 2nd/3rd after just a mind-numbingly stupid play by Belans who throws a slow grounder into the bleachers when she had no chance, allowing runner to score. Runner at 3rd scores when Hiers -- who really is a defensive liability -- mangles a pitch and then the play tracking it down.

Totally crappy defense in that half-inning - frustrating.

But TU scores, 3-1 Hogs.

flippinhogmana

Tori Cooper leads it off, gets behind 0-1, 1-1, 1-2, and grounds to 3rd,
lets get a hitting streak going Nicole! gets behind 0-1, 1-1, 1-2, and then takes a called third strike, two down
Krzysko gets ahead 1-0, then singles up the middle, I think the girl wants to keep playing!
Yani falls behind 0-1, 0-2, 1-2, 2-2, and then pops up to 1b, to the top of the 7th, finish like you started Caroline, 3-1 hogs

flippinhogmana

psycHOGlogist

Hogs get a single -- her 2nd hit of the game -- from Kryzsko, but nothing else.

On to the top of the 7th where Hedgcock will go for the CG win.

psycHOGlogist

Schroeder returned to looking uncomfortable in that last half-inning and got rung up (on a bad call, imo, but still - you have to try to foul off close ones when you're in a 2-strike count).

psycHOGlogist

TU's leadoff hitter gets a single through the left side to lead off the inning.
Second hitter hits a fly ball to Cooper, 1 down.
TU's CF hits a grounder to 2b, but the Hogs can't QUITE pull the DP off. FC at 2nd base to get the lead runner, 2 down.
Last batter hits a foul ball out to RF, and Schroeder makes the grab.  :razorback: S WIN, 3-1.

Sweet revenge for the loss in Tulsa - this turns out to be a great win, as Tulsa is a Top 30-ish team in the power rankings. One step closer to the NCAAT.

Hedgcock was absolutely DEALING tonight, too, as a good-hitting Tulsa team really never got anything going.

Great win!

flippinhogmana

haha, that is sweet! 3 hitter her first start (against a team that run ruled us last time), zero earned runs, complete game victory!

flippinhogmana

sorry, Psych, when I saw you had posted I thought you had called the game already!  Didnt mean to walk on you. Still sweet though isn't it?

flippinhogmana

what was the deal with that double that my stat feed (hogs site) show in the 3rd inning for Tulsa, but it doesnt show on the box now?

flippinhogmana

we weren't flawless brother Psych but we brought home another victory (with some help from coach and CH)

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: flippinhogmana on April 11, 2017, 07:46:25 pm
what was the deal with that double that my stat feed (hogs site) show in the 3rd inning for Tulsa, but it doesnt show on the box now?

Changed the ruling - it should have been caught. Bounced off of Bugarin's glove Sun was in her eyes, but E8 is absolutely the right ruling, imo.

flippinhogmana

I went back and checked the double out...it showed up as a double on the stat feed but it must have been changed to an error by the cf and she advanced to second on the error as well, that is what the play record shows now.

flippinhogmana

thanks!  I should get the SEC feed but its complicated here in Tulsa!

flippinhogmana

What do you think about Hedgcock, we discussed her earlier in the year?  Back when she wasnt playing at all.

flippinhogmana

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/complete-game-clutch-hitting-bests-tulsa/

Caroline Hedgcock delivers during her complete game victory.

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – In a top-30 RPI matchup Tuesday evening at Bogle Park, freshman Caroline Hedgcock produced a complete-game performance to lead the University of Arkansas softball team to a 3-1 win over Tulsa. The victory was the Razorbacks' 25th of the season, and marked the program's first home win over Tulsa since 2005, and its first ever at Bogle Park. Offensively, Autumn Russell and Loren Krzysko each had two hits and scored a run.
Final: Arkansas 3, Tulsa 1 | Box Score

Hedgcock, in the Razorbacks' 13th complete game of the year, allowed just four hits and an unearned run to go along with two strikeouts and no walks. The Downers Grove, Ill., native needed just nine or fewer pitches to get through four of the first five innings including a four-pitch fifth frame. Hedgcock retired 15 of the first 16 hitters she faced before Tulsa (26-13) scored its run in the sixth.

The teams combined for just one base runner each through three innings but Arkansas (25-14) opened the scoring with a run in the fourth. Russell got things started with a one-out double to center field, her second hit of the day. She came around to score during the next at-bat when Ashley Diaz knocked a single through the middle of the infield. Russell's first-inning hit was her team-leading 40th of the year, and the junior infielder now has 13 multi-hit efforts this season.

Nicole Schroeder started a two-run rally in the fifth inning with a single to left field. Krzysko dropped a single in to right field to put runners on first and second. After a one-out walk to Haydi Bugarin, the bases were loaded with Shelby Hiers coming to the plate. The senior catcher delivered with a ground ball up the middle that plated pinch runner Sydney Parr. Arkansas scored its third run of the game when a wild pitch allowed Krzysko to scamper home from third.
Up Next

The Razorbacks continue their home stand and jump back into SEC play this weekend, hosting No. 5 Texas A&M beginning Friday at Bogle Park. Game one of the series will be televised on ESPNU with first pitch scheduled for 5 p.m. (CT). General admission is free for all home games. In addition to television coverage, Friday's opener will also be available through the WatchESPN app.

psycHOGlogist

I think she is really showing something. I think that she was re-planting at the beginning of the year and they had to work on her form/mechanics. When the year started, I think she was sorting it out and didn't have confidence. Even had an illegal pitch or two called on her early in the year... didn't help. Now, however, she has her edge back. I think she needs a better change up to to really take it to the next level, but I am SUPER impressed with her so far.

psycHOGlogist

Up next - 3 game homestand hosting #5/#7 TAMU at Bogle. Will be very tough - they have loads of great hitters and two extremely good pitchers. Game on!

flippinhogmana

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 11, 2017, 11:03:14 pm
I think she is really showing something. I think that she was re-planting at the beginning of the year and they had to work on her form/mechanics. When the year started, I think she was sorting it out and didn't have confidence. Even had an illegal pitch or two called on her early in the year... didn't help. Now, however, she has her edge back. I think she needs a better change up to to really take it to the next level, but I am SUPER impressed with her so far.

It seems to me that she has gotten better and better the last three outings-two of them wins against quality foes.  I really think she is a good piece of the puzzle to get the team back on the right track.  Hats off to Russell as well.  Right now she is our best and most consistent hitter. 

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: flippinhogmana on April 11, 2017, 11:17:48 pm
It seems to me that she has gotten better and better the last three outings-two of them wins against quality foes.  I really think she is a good piece of the puzzle to get the team back on the right track.  Hats off to Russell as well.  Right now she is our best and most consistent hitter. 

Yes, she is! And coming into the season I wouldn't have given you a plugged nickel for her offensive skill set. Just goes to show you what I know! lol

flippinhogmana

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 12, 2017, 12:31:36 am
Yes, she is! And coming into the season I wouldn't have given you a plugged nickel for her offensive skill set. Just goes to show you what I know! lol

Her bio reflects that she (Hedgcock, not Russell) is a good hitter too, we will see how that emerges as well.

hawg1221

Without seeing any games, it's starting to seem like she's about to surpass Moll in the pitching lineup. It seems she's pitched better than her lately.

psycHOGlogist

Unless Moll has an undisclosed injury, I think that has happened. If Hedgcock can no-hit the #30 RPI team for 5 innings, give up zero walks in a complete game, and only allow one un-earned run that followed two errors, you have to give her the innings over Moll, who has a dynamite arm but serious control problems. We lost to Oklahoma largely because Moll couldn't stop putting Sooners on base with her poor control. We took her out and Hedgcock comes in and settles down the game. Moll has to step up and get the mental part of her game back if she wants back in the circle regularly, imo.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: hawg1221 on April 12, 2017, 09:33:06 am
Without seeing any games, it's starting to seem like she's about to surpass Moll in the pitching lineup. It seems she's pitched better than her lately.

Moll throws the hardest of anyone on the staff I think, but that is all irrelevant if you cant find the strike zone and throw wild pitches.  The two freshmen are the best of the pitches right now unless Moll can find herself.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 12, 2017, 09:39:47 am
Unless Moll has an undisclosed injury, I think that has happened. If Hedgcock can no-hit the #30 RPI team for 5 innings, give up zero walks in a complete game, and only allow one un-earned run that followed two errors, you have to give her the innings over Moll, who has a dynamite arm but serious control problems. We lost to Oklahoma largely because Moll couldn't stop putting Sooners on base with her poor control. We took her out and Hedgcock comes in and settles down the game. Moll has to step up and get the mental part of her game back if she wants back in the circle regularly, imo.

hahaha, we posted at the same time, so I will just say, ditto!

psycHOGlogist

hahaha - we are going to be accused of being the same person (like the Deifel hater last year) lol.

HOG FANATIC

Does anyone know why Canfield has not played in the last several games?

psycHOGlogist

Not sure what the issue is exactly, but she was HBP in the Florida series and has some kind of heavy bandaging or cast on her forearm. Not sure how long she might be out for.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 12, 2017, 11:00:44 am
hahaha - we are going to be accused of being the same person (like the Deifel hater last year) lol.

haha

Not sure what the issue is exactly, but she was HBP in the Florida series and has some kind of heavy bandaging or cast on her forearm. Not sure how long she might be out for.

Thanks I noticed her not in the last several games as well.  Thanks for the info