Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

assistant coaches

Started by flippinhogmana, April 08, 2017, 11:46:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

April 08, 2017, 11:46:00 am Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 12:17:31 pm by flippinhogmana
Two of the candidates mentioned as possible Neighbors assistants in this forum: Neighbors assistant at Washington, Valley and Vic's assistant Harris are under consideration for the Washington head coaches job.  I mentioned I thought that Valley would be the least likely of his assistants to come with Mike (for that reason-I thought she might be considered for the vacant position).  Harris is also a top notch candidate for promotion.  They have five names, all with good credentials. 

One of the other five is a UCONN assistant.  Even if Valley doesn't get the head coaching position at Washington (who has a history of promoting assistant coaches-its how Neighbors got the job), I think she would be under consideration at UCONN if the UCONN coach gets the job.  I doubt we will ever see Valley at Fayetteville as anything other than a guest.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

brs_hogfan

Has anyone heard anything about assistant coaches yet?  I notice that Chenel Harris no longer lists UA on her Twitter account (pretty sure she used to state her position there).

psycHOGlogist

April 13, 2017, 08:11:25 pm #2 Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 08:33:00 pm by psycHOGlogist
Quote from: brs_hogfan on April 13, 2017, 06:54:32 pm
Has anyone heard anything about assistant coaches yet?  I notice that Chenel Harris no longer lists UA on her Twitter account (pretty sure she used to state her position there).

She did, and yes, it's gone. Tari, however, still has it in hers.

Kelli Rae Finley is no longer listed on the Arizona staff -- which is led by former Neighbors assistant Adia Barnes. She follows CMN on twitter. Is she on the way to Arkansas? Toooooootal speculation. She could have been fired for all I know lol. But I think there are conncections between Finley and Neighbors.

psycHOGlogist

Okay, apparently she's not coming to Arkansas (Finley, that is). She's going to Florida, I hear.

psycHOGlogist

Washington has hired the LBSU coach, Jody Wynn, to replace Mike. I guess we'll see now what Valley intends to do. Maybe she'll be kept on by the new coach, but that can be a tough gig (ask Tari about that), especially since Wynn's top assistant is her husband, Derek.

jackflash

Has Florida hire a head coach yet

psycHOGlogist

Yes, they hired Cameron Newbauer of Belmont after Becky Hammon would not take the relatively low pay they offered her.

jackflash

we should hear something about who will are assistant coaches by  the weekend I think

Scott7703

Quote from: jackflash on April 14, 2017, 12:42:58 pm
we should hear something about who will are assistant coaches by  the weekend I think

Interesting.

psycHOGlogist

I hope you're right! Seems like it's taking a while, and it's already signing period for spring (not sure if we will be able to add anyone or not).

However, at least we are not the University of Southern California. Their HC position has been open for 42 days, and their latest "top" candidate, Karl Smesko from FGCU, has reportedly just turned them down. They first went after the Temple coach, but she said no (not enough $$). Then they tried to get the Stanford assistant, Kate Paye, but she announced she's staying at Stanford (she was also flirting with the Washington job). Then they tried to get the LBSU coach, Jody Wynn -- who is a USC alumna! -- but Washington grabbed her instead. And now Smesko seems to have left them at the altar.

How bad would people be complaining about JL if this were going on here? Not sure Lynn Swann is working out all that well as their AD (but then, when you hire someone who's only qualification for the AD post is that he's a famous football player alum, this is what you can expect).

psycHOGlogist

jackflash

think he will two from Arkansas

Scott7703

Quote from: jackflash on April 14, 2017, 09:20:34 pm

You saying he will keep two from Arkansas current staff? Add two guys from Arkansas, or what?

jackflash

as far as coaches go I think  he will bring  from Washington all he can. On the recruiting front  I think he will sign two from Arkansas.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: jackflash on April 15, 2017, 08:34:45 am
as far as coaches go I think  he will bring  from Washington all he can. On the recruiting front  I think he will sign two from Arkansas.
What do you mean -"On the recruiting front, I think he will sign two from Arkansas"?  Are you talking about this spring - that would seem to indicate two high school graduates who have not signed before.  Are there really two high school 2017 graduates who have Division I talent who have not already signed?

flippinhogmana

Quote from: jackflash on April 14, 2017, 09:20:34 pm

I wouldn't lend to much credence to this opinion.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

logic

April 15, 2017, 10:59:02 pm #16 Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 11:10:59 pm by logic
Quote from: LadybackBBFan on April 15, 2017, 08:45:51 am
What do you mean -"On the recruiting front, I think he will sign two from Arkansas"?  Are you talking about this spring - that would seem to indicate two high school graduates who have not signed before.  Are there really two high school 2017 graduates who have Division I talent who have not already signed?
In the 2017 class, ESPN list 470 players.  The only undeclared players from Arkansas are Laura Kate Ashworth, Conway H.S. (AR) the #120 rated guard,  and Savannah Lowe, Conway H.S. (AR) the #87 rated guard.

Of the undeclared players, 2 are 5 stars, one from CA probably going to USC and the other from  Prague, Czech Rep. There are no undeclared 4 star players.  There are 24 undeclared 3 star players, and 7 undeclared 1 and 2 star players.

tophawg19

if they only list 470 then there are 1000's still to be considered .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

logic

April 15, 2017, 11:17:51 pm #18 Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 11:44:20 pm by logic
Quote from: tophawg19 on April 15, 2017, 11:04:59 pm
if they only list 470 then there are 1000's still to be considered .
Perhaps but do they have Division 1 talent? There were four 3 star players signed to division 1 schools from Arkansas.  Krystan Vornes, Tulsa; Bre'Amber Scott, Missippippi State; Abigayle Jackson, Auburn; and Grayce Spangler, Arkansas.

In any event, Macy Weaver wasn't on the list so obviously that doesn't include all division 1 players.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: logic on April 15, 2017, 11:17:51 pm
Perhaps but do they have Division 1 talent? There were four 3 star players signed to division 1 schools from Arkansas.  Krystan Vornes, Tulsa; Bre'Amber Scott, Missippippi State; Abigayle Jackson, Auburn; and Grayce Spangler, Arkansas.

In any event, Macy Weaver wasn't on the list so obviously that doesn't include all division 1 players.

That is true, but the list that are not evaluated (which is why they aren't on the list) that ever become productive D1 players is a short one.  Most of them that eventually become productive are those who go the juco route, grow some more, get playing time and get noticed that way.  Alecia Cooley is an example of that.  But still the picking from those others on the list aren't great usually.  So who are taken as projects sometimes get to be contributors by the time they are seniors.