Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Neighbors' presser

Started by psycHOGlogist, April 04, 2017, 04:42:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

psycHOGlogist

Well done, nothing particularly surprising. He re-hashed the "Dream Job" article content, for the most part, and shared some sort of funny, sort of folksy, sort of corny stories on himself. Said a lot of the right things - notably that he's been on the phone all day, presumably recruiting players and staff. Did a high quality hog call.

I missed the first few minutes, but the whole thing was broadcast on watchespn; here's the link:
http://www.espn.com/watchespn/player/_/id/3049590/

GHG!

psycHOGlogist

Here's the play by play:
John Williams, PA announcer, introduces Long. (all media questions to be done after the broadcast, so we'll have to see whatever writeups come out afterwards)

Long thanks the search process folks - Julie Cromer Peoples, Melissa Harwood Rome, Charles Small, Jeri Thorpe, etc. etc.

Committee flew around the country meeting candidates.

Says Mike didn't need the usual education about Razorback history or the Hog Call.

Says Mike is incredibly excited to be the Hogs' coach.

Some bragging about the SEC WBB competitiveness.

Mike is a winner, he's proved it at the highest level.

Wanted a coach who knows X's and O's, but can also CONNECT with the young women (there's a Dykes "subtweet" for you), now and in the future.

Introduces Mike. Jeff seems genuinely happy to have hired Neighbors.

Mike talks about his memories - Scotty Thurman, Christy Smith, Roland Sales (!), US Reid, etc.

Says losses taught him to love the Hogs. His mom's there, asks his mom not to tell anyone how long he cried when the Hogs lost. Takes out the hat his Granddad wore to Hog games - pretty cool. Shows the book mentioned in the "Dream Job" story, signed by Frank Broyles.

Can't be an All-American player, can be an All-American Hog coach.

Talks about his other grand-dad, tells a story about a turtle in a tree - someone helped him get there.

He thanks Long, members of the committee, friends and family, he's clearly touched. Has high school teammates and friends, coaching colleagues in audience.

Met team very briefly this morning, says he learned he was meant to be coaching basketball. (Would be a little more meaningful if Dykes hadn't said similar things 3 year ago, but ... it's still nice.)

Promises team he will provide them with the student-athlete experience that they deserve.

Calls out his intramural basketball championship glory! lol

Says his years at Arkansas set him up for success in life. Talks about what he will share with the team.

Says he's been on the phone non-stop since 3 am (!), when he signed the official paperwork. Time to get to work.

Does the Hog Call (well!).

End.

psycHOGlogist

psycHOGlogist

Says Amber is staying. Doesn't specify the role.

psycHOGlogist

Says he has talked to Wilson, and that "we're working out tomorrow." Not sure what that means, but he didn't say she was gone.

psycHOGlogist

Says in-state AAU talent is maybe the best it's ever been, and that figured into his decision to come here.

psycHOGlogist

Says he has invited his UW staff to come, if they want to. And that he met with the current staff that's here.

factchecker

Coach Neighbors is doing a great job with the baseball PBP right now.

He knows his stuff.

http://tunein.com/radio/Razorback-Sports-Network-from-IMG-s230301/
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Weather delay in baseball is giving us a lot of good insight with Coach Neighbors.

His philosophy is to be "functionally fast".

Wants to shoot a ton of free throws.

Wants to shoot 3s and layups.

Does not like contested mid-range jumpers.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: factchecker on April 04, 2017, 07:21:24 pm
Coach Neighbors is doing a great job with the baseball PBP right now.

He knows his stuff.

http://tunein.com/radio/Razorback-Sports-Network-from-IMG-s230301/

The extended rain delay interview is awesome!

psycHOGlogist

"You can't fool dogs, and you can't fool kids." LOL

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

psycHOGlogist

That guy is a hoot. Talking movie and baseball trivia.

I hope that comes across when he's recruiting.

BWS

I gotta feeling we won't have to worry about recruiting.

BWS

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 04, 2017, 05:18:23 pm
Says he has talked to Wilson, and that "we're working out tomorrow." Not sure what that means, but he didn't say she was gone.

Wilson was at the press conference, which is somewhat good news. I think her decision to transfer mostly had to do with not wanting to play for Dykes. If that's the case, I think neighbors can earn her trust and convince her to stay.

Danny J

Quote from: BWS on April 04, 2017, 08:28:23 pm
Wilson was at the press conference, which is somewhat good news. I think her decision to transfer mostly had to do with not wanting to play for Dykes. If that's the case, I think neighbors can earn her trust and convince her to stay.
Hope you are right...she just oozes talent and with the right coaching she could be a very good player going forward.

Hogtied85

Quote from: Danny J on April 04, 2017, 08:45:10 pm
Hope you are right...she just oozes talent and with the right coaching she could be a very good player going forward.

Malica Monk said the next two of your college career will be awesome.

Scott7703

Quote from: BWS on April 04, 2017, 08:28:23 pm

This is very telling in my opinion.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: Hogtired10 on April 04, 2017, 09:03:44 pm
Malica Monk said the next two of your college career will be awesome.

Yes. Cosper also retweeted the story about Neighbors. Wilson is tweeting about being surprised at what life throws at you. You could easily go nuts trying to read into college kids' tweets, but it can't be bad news.

Porked Tongue

For those there, which current staff members were at the PC?

Scott7703

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 04, 2017, 09:29:12 pm
Yes. Cosper also retweeted the story about Neighbors. Wilson is tweeting about being surprised at what life throws at you. You could easily go nuts trying to read into college kids' tweets, but it can't be bad news.

He hangs onto to those 3 and it goes a long way towards what next years team can be.

Scott7703

Quote from: Porked Tongue on April 04, 2017, 09:30:39 pm
For those there, which current staff members were at the PC?

I was not at the press conference but have heard one current assistant at most will be retained.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: Scott7703 on April 04, 2017, 09:44:32 pm

I was not at the press conference but have heard one current assistant at most will be retained.
This what I expect as well.  Support staff likely one and then maybe a "assistant".  But that's in the air.  I was just curious who was there.  That would be of note.

psycHOGlogist

He firmly committed to keeping Amber in the Q&A.

I think it's interesting that neither Tari nor Chenel has tweeted or retweeted any of the NUMEROUS Arkansas WBB tweets about the hire. Nothing. You would think that, if they had jobs in the WBB program, they would be all over that.

factchecker

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 04, 2017, 10:16:48 pm
He firmly committed to keeping Amber in the Q&A.

I think it's interesting that neither Tari nor Chenel has tweeted or retweeted any of the NUMEROUS Arkansas WBB tweets about the hire. Nothing. You would think that, if they had jobs in the WBB program, they would be all over that.

People laugh at following social media but you can get a good hint about what is going on by seeing what someone retweets, likes, or who/what they follow.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

razorjack

Tari Cummings was the only assistant I saw at the presser.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Arkansas to the core when you talk about yourpawpaw and mamma's sweet tea. this is going to be fun
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: razorjack on April 04, 2017, 10:20:08 pm

She is very classy. If anyone gets kept, I truly hope it's Tari. (Nothing against Chenel, who seems like a very fine person.) Tari has dedicated a lot to this program through several coaching changes. If we don't keep her, I hope she lands a great spot.

jackflash

I think the key for Neighbors this year is to kept Wilson and Weaver. I don't think he will change William mind about leaving the state just hope its not in the SEC. Wonder who else the state of Arkansas has to offer?

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Has anyone posted any of Coach Neighbors' coaching videos?

Here are some (no sound on them):

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: jackflash on April 04, 2017, 10:26:59 pm
I think the key for Neighbors this year is to kept Wilson and Weaver. I don't think he will change William mind about leaving the state just hope its not in the SEC. Wonder who else the state of Arkansas has to offer?

The blue chippers in Arkansas for 2018 are Williams, obviously, and YoMyrie Morris (6'2" ish forward) of NLR. I'm sure he will be all over them. Jasmine Franklin of Fayetteville (also a 6'2" ish post) might also be worth a look, though I'm not sure she is an SEC caliber player (she could be - I'm not an evaluator).

The 2019 class is a little thinner in state, as far as I know. The only blue-chip player I'm aware of is Kennedy Tucker, also of NLR. ProspectsNation thinks she's very good and has her as a top 15 player nationally (#13). ESPN does not have her in their top 25, which is all they have ranked for the 2019s. She could move up, of course. (5'8" PG)

The 2020 class will be absolutely loaded: Sasha Goforth, Elauna Eaton, Lakyn Sanders, Destiny Salary, and even more. It will truly be an amazing group.

As for Weaver, RD posted this article about her tonight - she definitely sounds all in. Though honestly, I am not convinced she is the answer, at least not as a freshman. She is getting better, but she has not played great competition. I am concerned she will take a while to be SEC ready. We need a JUCO big or a grad transfer or something to help with size.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/apr/04/neighbors-reaches-out-signee-macy-weaver-after-int/

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: razorjack on April 04, 2017, 10:20:08 pm

Not true, Chenel was also there.  I did not see her at first, but saw her after the announcement.  She and Tari left together and went back to their offices about 10 minutes after the conference ended.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 04, 2017, 05:18:23 pm
I talked to Wilson as did several others encouraging her to stay.  I asked her what she thought and was she excited about the new coach.  She indicated that she was and that she had talked to him four times during Tuesday up to the press conference.  I think her mind is at least open.

All players were there including Jackson and Cooley in the back.  I also talked to Swenson - she seemed super excited.  She also indicated that the whole team was excited.  I had noted that Ratliff was not there.  She indicated that she has transferred to Volley ball but will be staying at Arkansas.  I know the rumor has been out, but I think we can now end that speculation.

psycHOGlogist

Thanks for confirming that, LBBBF!!! So glad you were there to provide the "on the ground" perspective and talk to players. Thanks for sharing...

flippinhogmana

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 05, 2017, 08:50:42 am
Thanks for confirming that, LBBBF!!! So glad you were there to provide the "on the ground" perspective and talk to players. Thanks for sharing...

That goes for me as well LBBF
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Hogtied85

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on April 05, 2017, 08:29:48 am
I talked to Wilson as did several others encouraging her to stay.  I asked her what she thought and was she excited about the new coach.  She indicated that she was and that she had talked to him four times during Tuesday up to the press conference.  I think her mind is at least open.

All players were there including Jackson and Cooley in the back.  I also talked to Swenson - she seemed super excited.  She also indicated that the whole team was excited.  I had noted that Ratliff was not there.  She indicated that she has transferred to Volley ball but will be staying at Arkansas.  I know the rumor has been out, but I think we can now end that speculation.

There has got to be a way to keep Tari and Chenel. To be fair, we haven't given Chenel a chance she was just hired. I would hire Todd as Associate Head Coach, AC's Jasmine Lister, Tari.
I would create a job for Chenel like special assistant to Coach Neighbors. Coach Chenel twitter is more connected to the top recruits our program needs. We need her connections to Canada/California/New York etc

NWAHog479

Why didn't we sign any of the Mayberry girls?

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: Hogtired10 on April 05, 2017, 09:32:56 am
There has got to be a way to keep Tari and Chenel. To be fair, we haven't given Chenel a chance she was just hired. I would hire Todd as Associate Head Coach, AC's Jasmine Lister, Tari.
I would create a job for Chenel like special assistant to Coach Neighbors. Coach Chenel twitter is more connected to the top recruits our program needs. We need her connections to Canada/California/New York etc

I really respect Tari, and I like what I've seen of Coach Harris's personality a lot. She seems positive and professional. However, you can't keep everybody. These folks might not want to stay, might not want to work for Neighbors, might not mesh with his other staff, etc. It's a business, and imo you have to let Neighbors pick his people. I think Cummings and Harris both understand that.

As for needing Harris's connections, I trust that whomever Neighbors brings on board, we'll be just fine on the connections to recruits front. I can guarantee you that Neighbors' staff is much better connected to California recruits than Harris is, considering that is where ~ half of the UW roster is from. But more importantly, do we really need Canada and New York connections? We are not going to build our program by convincing Canadians and east coast kids (and even Cali kids) to come to The Hill. We have to keep Arkansas kids here, recruit Texas/Oklahoma like gangbusters, steal some kids from other states in the SEC footprint, and maybe get the occasional national kid. (From this perspective, Harris was a really, really dumb hire. No connections to our recruiting area at all. Like so much of what Dykes did - he really just had no clue what he was doing. Recruiting and AAU folks out there just had zero respect for him. Very much the opposite of Neighbors.)

We hired Neighbors, and I am very comfortable turning over the reins to him - including trusting his hiring decisions.

Hogtied85

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 05, 2017, 10:00:20 am
I really respect Tari, and I like what I've seen of Coach Harris's personality a lot. She seems positive and professional. However, you can't keep everybody. These folks might not want to stay, might not want to work for Neighbors, might not mesh with his other staff, etc. It's a business, and imo you have to let Neighbors pick his people. I think Cummings and Harris both understand that.

As for needing Harris's connections, I trust that whomever Neighbors brings on board, we'll be just fine on the connections to recruits front. I can guarantee you that Neighbors' staff is much better connected to California recruits than Harris is, considering that is where ~ half of the UW roster is from. But more importantly, do we really need Canada and New York connections? We are not going to build our program by convincing Canadians and east coast kids (and even Cali kids) to come to The Hill. We have to keep Arkansas kids here, recruit Texas/Oklahoma like gangbusters, steal some kids from other states in the SEC footprint, and maybe get the occasional national kid. (From this perspective, Harris was a really, really dumb hire. No connections to our recruiting area at all. Like so much of what Dykes did - he really just had no clue what he was doing. Recruiting and AAU folks out there just had zero respect for him. Very much the opposite of Neighbors.)

We hired Neighbors, and I am very comfortable turning over the reins to him - including trusting his hiring decisions.

I understand that. I just like harris that's all. I also trust neighbors he will do what is best.

brs_hogfan

Quote from: NWAHog479 on April 05, 2017, 09:37:12 am
Why didn't we sign any of the Mayberry girls?
2017 Maya Mayberry signed with Oral Roberts. I think she was underrated.  I have watched her numerous times this year.  She is a great point guard.  Definitely SEC caliber and I wish we had signed her.  2020 Wyvette Mayberry, who served as Maya's back-up on the Fayetteville High team, will be just as good by the time she is a senior.

brs_hogfan

April 05, 2017, 10:40:32 am #41 Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 11:59:31 am by brs_hogfan
Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 04, 2017, 10:45:08 pm
The blue chippers in Arkansas for 2018 are Williams, obviously, and YoMyrie Morris (6'2" ish forward) of NLR. I'm sure he will be all over them. Jasmine Franklin of Fayetteville (also a 6'2" ish post) might also be worth a look, though I'm not sure she is an SEC caliber player (she could be - I'm not an evaluator).

The 2019 class is a little thinner in state, as far as I know. The only blue-chip player I'm aware of is Kennedy Tucker, also of NLR. ProspectsNation thinks she's very good and has her as a top 15 player nationally (#13). ESPN does not have her in their top 25, which is all they have ranked for the 2019s. She could move up, of course. (5'8" PG)

The 2020 class will be absolutely loaded: Sasha Goforth, Elauna Eaton, Lakyn Sanders, Destiny Salary, and even more. It will truly be an amazing group.

As for Weaver, RD posted this article about her tonight - she definitely sounds all in. Though honestly, I am not convinced she is the answer, at least not as a freshman. She is getting better, but she has not played great competition. I am concerned she will take a while to be SEC ready. We need a JUCO big or a grad transfer or something to help with size.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/apr/04/neighbors-reaches-out-signee-macy-weaver-after-int/

Yo'myris Morris is definitely the in-state 2018 to target after Williams.  But Jasmine Franklin is very good as well and I think we should go after her.  She is a great rebounder.  Doesn't shoot as well as Morris though.

Also, another 2019 to look at is Springdale High's Marquesha Davis.  She has as high of an upside as anyone in the state.  Great athlete.  If she can develop a little more range on her shot, she will be one of the top players nationally.

hogsfan31

It's easy to sell Arkansas, the brand, and the program you coach when you love The Hog. He will have no problem selling this University and program to elite talent across the nation. Recruiting I think is going to take off!

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: hogsfan31 on April 05, 2017, 12:10:44 pm
It's easy to sell Arkansas, the brand, and the program you coach when you love The Hog. He will have no problem selling this University and program to elite talent across the nation. Recruiting I think is going to take off!

Top prospects have to let you have an opportunity.  Women's basketball is one where that is awfully hard to break into.  Dawn Staley took a while at South Carolina and she had a great resume to sell.  Vic Schaffer did it real quick with less known players, but got Victoria Viveons to stay home.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: brs_hogfan on April 05, 2017, 10:40:32 am
Also, another 2019 to look at is Springdale High's Marquesha Davis.  She has as high of an upside as anyone in the state.  Great athlete.  If she can develop a little more range on her shot, she will be one of the top players nationally.
She needs to give 100% up and down the court before being looked at on a higher level.

jackflash

hard to judge Dykes assistant coaches. Did he listen to them how much did he listen to them

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on April 05, 2017, 12:16:16 pm
Top prospects have to let you have an opportunity.  Women's basketball is one where that is awfully hard to break into.  Dawn Staley took a while at South Carolina and she had a great resume to sell.  Vic Schaffer did it real quick with less known players, but got Victoria Viveons to stay home.

I dont disagree with you LBBF, but Neighbors has as a coach made that transition.  The question that your comment is on point with is how long will it take him to 'sell' not just himself but his school now.  I hope he is able to convince California girls (among other recruits) to follow him to Arkansas instead of just up the coast to Washington.  Tom Collen got Wakings from Kentucky I believe it was, Blair got girls from Ohio and other places.  I know it will take more than just in state talent to make it to a top quality program.  But I believe we have the best shot at it now since Gary Blair was unceremoniously shown the door.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

psycHOGlogist

Collen recruited a fair number of girls from "off," and that actually earned him the resentment of a lot of coaches in Arkansas. For example: Watkins was from Tennessee. Ricketts was from Kentucky. And Harris was from Alabama. Daniels was from Mississippi. Jamesha Townsend was from California. Quistelle Williams was from Michigan. Kiera Peak was from Georgia.

There were actually only a handful of kids from Arkansas that Collen brought in who were significant contributors -- notably, Calli Berna, Mo Wolff, and Jessica Jackson, all of whom were brought in during his last 3 years, and all of whom were the only local kids of note in their classes. (And none of whom finished with him as coach.)

Hopefully Neighbors can do a LOT better in state, especially with the crop of kids coming up. I think he can.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 05, 2017, 10:01:34 pm
Collen recruited a fair number of girls from "off," and that actually earned him the resentment of a lot of coaches in Arkansas. For example: Watkins was from Tennessee. Ricketts was from Kentucky. And Harris was from Alabama. Daniels was from Mississippi. Jamesha Townsend was from California. Quistelle Williams was from Michigan. Kiera Peak was from Georgia.

There were actually only a handful of kids from Arkansas that Collen brought in who were significant contributors -- notably, Calli Berna, Mo Wolff, and Jessica Jackson, all of whom were brought in during his last 3 years, and all of whom were the only local kids of note in their classes. (And none of whom finished with him as coach.)

Hopefully Neighbors can do a LOT better in state, especially with the crop of kids coming up. I think he can.

I stand corrected on where he got Watkins from!  But frankly how well would UCONN do if they just got girls from the local area?  Ruby Vaden, JJ, and a handful of others have been few and far between.  Mo frankly was an over achiever (and welcome, one of my all time favorites) who many decried as being a token in stater when she was signed.  We have a much better crop in the near future but just like in men's basketball and in football a lot of the kids will have to come from elsewhere, even if it hairlips some people.  Peoples I believe was from Ohio like Mason (maybe it was Indiana).  I think Christy was from that neck of the woods too.  They are most welcome as far as I am concerned.

psycHOGlogist

Oh, definitely. But by the same token, there was a lot of Arkansas talent that left the state when Collen (and maybe Gardner) was here: Stricklen, Morgan Hook, Jordan Madden, Scaife, Roshunda Johnson, Ashley Adams, and so forth (probably forget some - not on purpose). My point is not that we should not get people from out of state - we definitely should. But until we are UConn and can pick and choose among national recruits, we have to do better on the instate kids. It'll never be perfect, obviously, but it needs to be better. How much better would we have been if Collen had brought some of those players in? We'll never know, of course.