Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So, we've hired him. Now ... about his staff

Started by psycHOGlogist, April 03, 2017, 12:39:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

psycHOGlogist

Who you got? Does he bring the UW assistants with him? To review, they are:

Morgan Valley, former UConn player: http://www.gohuskies.com/coaches.aspx?rc=614&path=wbball

Todd Schaeffer, former Ole Miss assistant: http://www.gohuskies.com/coaches.aspx?rc=619&path=wbball

and

Jasmine Lister, former Vandy star: http://www.gohuskies.com/coaches.aspx?rc=629&path=wbball

Does he keep any of the current Arkansas assistants: Tari Cumings, Chenel Harris, or Tommy Deffebaugh (lol, please no on this one)?

There are several other top flight AC's out there, too -- Shimmy Gray-Miller from Florida, in particular, who has been a HC before and a very good AC at good schools: http://floridagators.com/coaches.aspx?rc=620&path=basketball-women

Thoughts? Let's get this thing started, Coach Neighbors!

(What? You think we should let him be formally announced at a presser first? Pshaw!)

hogsfan31

Whoever he brings in I hope they're great recruiters to help get some players in here.

jb11

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 03, 2017, 12:39:31 pm
Who you got? Does he bring the UW assistants with him? To review, they are:

Morgan Valley, former UConn player: http://www.gohuskies.com/coaches.aspx?rc=614&path=wbball

Todd Schaeffer, former Ole Miss assistant: http://www.gohuskies.com/coaches.aspx?rc=619&path=wbball

and

Jasmine Lister, former Vandy star: http://www.gohuskies.com/coaches.aspx?rc=629&path=wbball

Does he keep any of the current Arkansas assistants: Tari Cumings, Chenel Harris, or Tommy Deffebaugh (lol, please no on this one)?

There are several other top flight AC's out there, too -- Shimmy Gray-Miller from Florida, in particular, who has been a HC before and a very good AC at good schools: http://floridagators.com/coaches.aspx?rc=620&path=basketball-women

Thoughts? Let's get this thing started, Coach Neighbors!

(What? You think we should let him be formally announced at a presser first? Pshaw!)
Schaeffer, after reading this, would be the one that would most likely come with CMN.  Depending on their working relationships, I could see all three coming with him.  Don't know how their recruiting would be, but they would have good past success to lean on whether playing or coaching.

Scott7703

There will be familiar names come up when filling the staff.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: Scott7703 on April 03, 2017, 01:15:25 pm

Oooh, now you're being mysterious! Can you give any more hints? Familiar as in ... current staff? Former Hogs? Inquiring minds ....

psycHOGlogist

If homecoming is a theme ... would Messer leave Baylor? I know she applied for HC position in the past, but would she come home to be Mike's top assistant?

#completespeculation

razorjack

How about Johnnie Harris from Miss St.  She is known to be one of the best recruiters in the country.  Also she was an assistant coach with Mike at AR in the past.

flippinhogmana

i''d go with Lister and Schaffer coming with him.  Both would also being coming home in a sense (Schaeffer having coached in Arkansas and Lister being from the SEC).  Both would be upgrades to our coaching ranks.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

snf6278

Quote from: razorjack on April 03, 2017, 03:05:19 pm
How about Johnnie Harris from Miss St.  She is known to be one of the best recruiters in the country.  Also she was an assistant coach with Mike at AR in the past.
Doesn't she have Arkansas ties? At least that's what I thought I had read.

jackflash

I could see him bring three assistant with Him, Valley, Lister and Schaffer

hawg1221

So I read Todd Schaeffer's bio and assume he's not related to Vic? And not to be disrespectful of her coaching abilities, but Lister is one of the best looking coaches I've ever seen.

(notOM)Rebel123

Come up for discussion or be hired?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Porked Tongue

I think one is a done deal.

Hogtied85

Todd Schaeffer is not listed on Washington coaching staff anymore so I think he will be coming with him. Also Schaeffer was a high school coach in Arkansas too before coming to the college game.

tophawg19

it's ok to speculate , it's not like it will stop someone from coming because hogville guessed a name
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

tophawg19

out of that group , i hope Valley comes . she is a highly respected young coach and recruiter . May not be able to keep her long though .

flippinhogmana

Quote from: tophawg19 on April 03, 2017, 06:09:00 pm
out of that group , i hope Valley comes . she is a highly respected young coach and recruiter . May not be able to keep her long though .

I would say bring the whole staff, but I figured Valley would be the least likely to come.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

psycHOGlogist

A dream staff I would like to see:

Neighbors
Messer
Schaefer
Bowen

I would need the smelling salts if that happened.

tophawg19

great , the one i want will likely stay lol. you are right , bring em all in and let's kick some butts

Scott7703

April 03, 2017, 06:55:15 pm #19 Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 10:18:24 pm by Scott7703
Quote from: Porked Tongue on April 03, 2017, 04:51:45 pm
I think one is a done deal.

I agree. How many do you expect  to come from Washington?

Rocket23

Quote from: Hogtired10 on April 03, 2017, 05:15:30 pm
Todd Schaeffer is not listed on Washington coaching staff anymore so I think he will be coming with him. Also Schaeffer was a high school coach in Arkansas too before coming to the college game.

He was a college prior to his stint at Greenbrier HS.  He was the head coach at Christian Bros in Memphis as well as a two or three-year stop at Arkansas Tech as head coach.  He also spent time before Ole Miss at Arkansas State, so he has plenty of ties to Arkansas.  He has a pretty good reputation as a X and O guy.

hogfreak

Would take atleast one of Messer or Harris. He can bring what left from Washington.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogfreak on April 04, 2017, 11:22:10 am
Would take atleast one of Messer or Harris. He can bring what left from Washington.
Jasmine Lister ;D. No doubt. ;)
https://www.instagram.com/jaslister11/?hl=en
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

NWAHog479

oldfart

Quote from: hawg1221 on April 03, 2017, 04:23:47 pm
So I read Todd Schaeffer's bio and assume he's not related to Vic? And not to be disrespectful of her coaching abilities, but Lister is one of the best looking coaches I've ever seen.

i WILL SECOND THAT ON LISTER !!

logic

Quote from: NWAHog479 on April 04, 2017, 02:01:38 pm
Christy Smith
I would love to have Christy Smith but is already a head coach.  I don't believe she would accept an assistant coach position.

NWAHog479

Quote from: logic on April 04, 2017, 11:15:13 pm
I would love to have Christy Smith but is already a head coach.  I don't believe she would accept an assistant coach position.

Have you seen where she is the head coach?

razorburn

Gail Striegler, who is going to be inducted into the Fayetteville High School Basketball Hall of Fame later this month, might be a good fit on his staff.  She is currently an assistant at Minnesota and has previous experience as a head coach at Long Island Univ. and Central Florida.....also, assistant at SFA and Northwestern in Louisiana.  I also believe she was a grad assist at Arkansas under John Sutherland.  Good recruiter and has many ties to the Texas, Louisiana, Florida area/AAU circuit.

Porked Tongue

Personally, I'm trying to refrain from having a candidate I'd like to see as an asst.

I'll just trust the new coach.

Dr. Starcs

I'll be honest, I'm not close enough to the program as a lot of you, but what is so valuable about Shirey?  I don't see her do much on the bench, but have got to think there's a reason(s) for her always seeming to have job security.

psycHOGlogist

I think there are several reasons -- first, she's been around forever, she knows everyone in the state and they are comfortable with her. Second, she's good at her job. Third, seems to relate very well to the players - they all seem to like her.  And specifically with respect to Mike, they were friends (he said yesterday) and graduated together.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: oldfart on April 04, 2017, 04:01:54 pm
i WILL SECOND THAT ON LISTER !!
She bad!! She can definitely bring some attention and awareness to the women's program.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

logic

It is very important to have outstanding assistants.  However, I'm not concerned since I believe Mike Neighbors is  great at evaluating coaching talent and there are dozens, if not hundreds, of outstanding assistants that he will be able select from and hire.