Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Neighbors Officially Named new UA Women's Basketball Coach(Merged)

Started by psycHOGlogist, March 24, 2017, 08:04:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

brs_hogfan

ricepig

Quote from: NWAHog479 on March 30, 2017, 03:15:45 pm
How much is his buyout? How much do we actually make, if any off of women's hoops?

No idea on his buyout, and we lose millions on women's hoops.

brs_hogfan

It's Mike Neighbors!  Players have been told.  Reliable source.

Scott7703

Quote from: NWAHog479 on March 30, 2017, 03:14:03 pm
Mike would be insane to leave Washington and come here. We passed on him before and now he's making more $ than we would probably want to pay him. He's already been to a Final Four there, why come here? He already has been on the record of saying that he regretted saying the Arkansas job was his dream job because now Washington is his dream job.

It's really simple. He's from here, the league is better, he's from here, Arkansas will pay him more than Washington, he's from here, he could do something at Arkansas that's never been done before, he's from here, he has family (kids) in northwest Arkansas, he's from here. Oh and he's from here.

brs_hogfan

Quote from: Scott7703 on March 30, 2017, 04:46:17 pm

It's really simple. He's from here, the league is better, he's from here, Arkansas will pay him more than Washington, he's from here, he could do something at Arkansas that's never been done before, he's from here, he has family (kids) in northwest Arkansas, he's from here. Oh and he's from here.

It's a done deal. Players notified. Reliable source. And a big step forward for UA women's basketball!

ricepig

Quote from: brs_hogfan on March 30, 2017, 04:47:08 pm
It's a done deal. Players notified. Reliable source. And a big step forward for UA women's basketball!
We need a credible source!   Sounds good, hopefully he will stabilize the program.

brs_hogfan

Quote from: ricepig on March 30, 2017, 04:53:37 pm
We need a credible source!   Sounds good, hopefully he will stabilize the program.

Told to me by a friend who had spoken directly to one of the players. So it's third hand information but still solid I think.

Rocket23

Knew they were working on it... sticking point was what to do with 1.25 million buyout.  No way the PTB would go for that big a buyout.  They were looking at ways to creatively work that out, i.e. maybe some of Neighbors salary each year would go to reducing it, the UA buying some of it and negotiating something with Washington.

Rocket23

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Scott7703 on March 30, 2017, 04:46:17 pm

UMMMMMM you do realize Jimmy Dykes is from here also don't you. I've never understood why someone "from here" is automatically going to make them something great.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

psycHOGlogist

My (stolen from someone else) theory:

He's in Dallas. Plum is likely to win the POY award on Saturday in Dallas. Would sort of steal her thunder if he'd been announced as Hogs' coach before then. Could be done, but just waiting. He's a pretty cool guy, and this is the kind of thing he'd do, imo.

psycHOGlogist

He's not arguing that being from here is what makes him a good coach. He's arguing that being from here is what makes him want to come back.

And I'll repeat my (stolen) theory from the other thread -- didn't want to be announced as Hogs' coach until after the POY (likely Plum) is announced in Dallas on Saturday.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 30, 2017, 06:18:35 pm
UMMMMMM you do realize Jimmy Dykes is from here also don't you. I've never understood why someone "from here" is automatically going to make them something great.
Ummm, you do realize he's a successful women's basketball coach that happens to be from here, don't you?

Scott7703

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 30, 2017, 06:18:35 pm

You completely missed what I was saying. The post below yours explained it though.

MikePiazza

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 30, 2017, 07:39:31 pm
He's not arguing that being from here is what makes him a good coach. He's arguing that being from here is what makes him want to come back.

And I'll repeat my (stolen) theory from the other thread -- didn't want to be announced as Hogs' coach until after the POY (likely Plum) is announced in Dallas on Saturday.

This is accurate.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Hogg_Phan

Maurice "Footsie" Britt - an "ex-Arkansas Razorback and Detroit Lion war hero".
.... In fact, Britt was standing on the field at the football stadium in Arkansas, saluting with his left hand and receiving the Medal of Honor, ...
http://www.cafe.com/r/f87e4a8e-2253-4fb1-90ad-4372d99aa204/1/why-havent-you-heard-of-this-war-hero-nfl-veteran

pigture perfect

You know, the Jeff Long M.O. has been to pull a rabbit out of his hat/butt. I'd be surprised if the name floating around becomes the man because of this.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

3kgthog

Are we sure JD really got fired? Lol Everything he's tweeted or retweeted the last several days shows up on the Ladyback social feed. Every Bible verse, his most recent interview with Bo, his take on the Elite 8, etc.

Most places kinda cut the cord once a coach is out. That doesn't appear to be the case here.

Hogtied85

Quote from: brs_hogfan on March 30, 2017, 05:06:23 pm

Told to me by a friend who had spoken directly to one of the players. So it's third hand information but still solid I think.

How are the players feelings about it???? Excited? What's the status with Aaliyah Wilson?

brs_hogfan

Quote from: Hogtired10 on March 31, 2017, 06:24:35 am
How are the players feelings about it???? Excited? What's the status with Aaliyah Wilson?
He said that the one he spoke with was excited.  He did not talk to her in detail, however, and did not know anything else. Mike Neighbors followed Aaliyah Wilson on Twitter along with some others.  That's all I know.

BWS

Without having any direct knowledge, I'm about 90 percent sure Mike Neighbors will be named coach by at least Monday.

Hogtied85

Quote from: BWS on March 31, 2017, 08:59:10 am
Without having any direct knowledge, I'm about 90 percent sure Mike Neighbors will be named coach by at least Monday.

Hopefully if Wilson stays, we will have a 3 guard line up that with real coaching now will be pretty good if not great. Wilson, Monk and Mason

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 30, 2017, 07:50:26 pm
Ummm, you do realize he's a successful women's basketball coach that happens to be from here, don't you?

But that success has nothing to do with where he's from but who helped him along the way. It's great he's from Arkansas BUT most successful people could have come from anywhere and still been successful.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

BWS

Quote from: Hogtired10 on March 31, 2017, 10:03:54 am
Hopefully if Wilson stays, we will have a 3 guard line up that with real coaching now will be pretty good if not great. Wilson, Monk and Mason

As other posters have pointed out, he's following Wilson on twitter. I'm pretty sure he's privately messaged the recruits telling them he's coming and has been briefed about the Wilson situation and is recruiting her to stay.

grayhawg

Quote from: BWS on March 31, 2017, 10:58:49 am
As other posters have pointed out, he's following Wilson on twitter. I'm pretty sure he's privately messaged the recruits telling them he's coming and has been briefed about the Wilson situation and is recruiting her to stay.
Or maybe recruiting her to Washington.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: grayhawg on March 31, 2017, 11:57:50 am
Or maybe recruiting her to Washington.

LOL. And Grayce Spangler and Macy Weaver! It's been his stealth plan from the beginning! All is now revealed!

Seriously - don't count on Wilson coming back. Anything's possible, I suppose, but all signs point to her heading out.

Hogtied85

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 31, 2017, 12:27:38 pm
LOL. And Grayce Spangler and Macy Weaver! It's been his stealth plan from the beginning! All is now revealed!

Seriously - don't count on Wilson coming back. Anything's possible, I suppose, but all signs point to her heading out.

Please explain

brs_hogfan

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Hogtired10 on March 31, 2017, 02:20:46 pm
Please explain

Psych can explain for himself but I will say this:  Anytime a person gets there fill of a situation that is not easily reversed.  One thing the hogs have in their favor is that they one thing to offer that no one else has:  She can play here next year otherwise she has to sit a year.

If Neighbors is quickly announced then it does one thing else:  gives her a coach with a style of play she would be a whole lot more comfortable with than her play with JD.  One other thing argues that she might stay-she chose the hogs because its close to home (actually closer than any other school except TU.  and look at the last sentence of her statement on twitter posted above-she is willing to wait until the process plays out.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

hawg1221

That's right. The situation with CJD may have been so bad that Wilson does not want to be anywhere near the University, despite who the coach is. Too many bad memories maybe... out of sight, out of mind.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: hawg1221 on March 31, 2017, 03:20:52 pm
That's right. The situation with CJD may have been so bad that Wilson does not want to be anywhere near the University, despite who the coach is. Too many bad memories maybe... out of sight, out of mind.

Which would be a shame because it is a great place, and there was a reason she chose it in the first place.  I'm sure Mike Neighbors will make the team better, but needs to make basketball fun again for these kids.  He seems to have the right temperament to do it.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

psycHOGlogist

My only explanation is that my opinion is based on everything I've observed from her on the court this year, from her twitter/social media activity, and the drama surrounding Tim Gill's hire and departure. Did it look to anyone this year that Wilson was popular with her teammates? Did she seem to connect with anyone on the team/staff/bench? Other players on the team clearly have relationships with one another (even among those who have left the program already), but Wilson does not seem to.

She has an enormous amount of talent, and I wish that it had worked out differently, but I am not going to lose too much sleep over it if she goes. We're going to have so many holes to fill on the team that one more probably isn't that big a deal. We're down to only 4/5 returners, so it's going to be a full, immediate rebuild for Neighbors (or whomever).

Scott7703

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 31, 2017, 03:43:11 pm
My only explanation is that my opinion is based on everything I've observed from her on the court this year, from her twitter/social media activity, and the drama surrounding Tim Gill's hire and departure. Did it look to anyone this year that Wilson was popular with her teammates? Did she seem to connect with anyone on the team/staff/bench? Other players on the team clearly have relationships with one another (even among those who have left the program already), but Wilson does not seem to.

She has an enormous amount of talent, and I wish that it had worked out differently, but I am not going to lose too much sleep over it if she goes. We're going to have so many holes to fill on the team that one more probably isn't that big a deal. We're down to only 4/5 returners, so it's going to be a full, immediate rebuild for Neighbors (or whomever).

Which of the below aren't returning? I've heard Cosper is iffy but I expect her to stay. I'm also not convinced Wilson leaves with neighbors being hired. He has a reputation of utilizing and developing talent, winning and being a players coach. Might just be a fit.

Monk
Mason
Zimmerman
Cosper
Ratliff
Stenson
Williams
Stout

psycHOGlogist

March 31, 2017, 05:05:45 pm #184 Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 05:24:18 pm by psycHOGlogist
I believe that Monk, Mason, Zimmerman, Stout, and Swenson are the possible returners. Whether Neighbors can keep anyone else remains to be seen. It's possible one of the above is considering leaving, too.

Cosper is graduating and wants to leave. Can Neighbors convince her to stay? Maybe, but she looked like someone having zero fun on the basketball court.

As I've said, I suspect Wilson to go, irrespective of the hire.

Ratliff won't be playing basketball, I believe. Someone has told me she's going back to volleyball, which was her original preference as a high schooler.

Williams I don't know much about, but I have heard a) she is homesick and wants to be back in LR, and b) we are going to be down to 4/5 players, so I'm counting her among the likely gone. Could be wrong, and this would be really unfortunate, as I think she'd really grow under Neighbors' coaching.

flippinhogmana

Williams has a knack for rebounding..we see what he did with a similar player not too much taller than her.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

JIHawg

Anybody wondering if we might be waiting to make Vic Shaefer an offer?  He was an assistant here, and we surely can pay more than MSU.

3kgthog

1. He's making $662k already. That's $200k+ more than JD was making.

2. I'd imagine he has a non-compete clause in his most recent extension agreement.

N HOG

ricepig

We have a new coach, presser at 4.

tophawg19

which 4 would that be lol
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

WorfHog

AM, Jeff Long's taking him or her to Dickson before the announcement.

pigture perfect

This has to be an April Fools thing.

I hate Bev Lewis, fwiw.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

tophawg19

Quote from: WorfHog on April 01, 2017, 10:31:56 pm
AM, Jeff Long's taking him or her to Dickson before the announcement.
Does that include a trip to IHOP or Denny's first ?
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Arazorbackguy1

Dick Van Dyke is the new coach.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

factchecker

Quote from: tophawg19 on April 01, 2017, 10:39:45 pm
Does that include a trip to IHOP or Denny's first ?

Taco Bell Cantina

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: JIHawg on April 01, 2017, 07:43:12 pm
Anybody wondering if we might be waiting to make Vic Shaefer an offer?  He was an assistant here, and we surely can pay more than MSU.
My aunt is Johnnie Harris which is Shaefers assistant coach at MSU . She is from Little Rock, was an assistant with Texas A&M and went to the sweet 16 4 of 5 seasons there and helped win a championship there. She is considered one of WBB best recruiters. I think she should be a candidate.

Dwight_K_Shrute

He's tweeted about the team and season today. Is he doing this because he's staying at Washington or a few goodbyes before it's announced

[tweet]848517780316008448[/tweet]

[tweet]848516707601829888[/tweet]
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.