Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ladyback basketball is a lost cause.

Started by logic, March 18, 2017, 08:52:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Supermark101

logic

Quote from: Supermark101 on April 03, 2017, 07:50:25 am
If they're given academic scholarships, you might as well drop it as far as Title IX goes. You obviously  have no idea how it works

You must not be very old to not remember  Kentucky before Patino and UNC between Dean and  Roy Williams
I remember Kentucky beat us for the National Championship when we had Eddie Sutton. I never claimed they always play for the NC but when have they every lost half of their games?

logic

Quote from: Scott7703 on April 02, 2017, 08:11:21 pm
Lol I honestly feel sorry for people like you logic. This hire has been a done deal for a couple weeks and many here have known it. Believe what you want.
Regardless I believe Mike Neighbors is a top quality coach. However, I don't believe he can win without top players, with a couple of our top recruited players, leaving, and with top Arkansas recruits choosing to play elsewhere.  Nevertheless, I admit, I am fallible so perhaps you know something I don't.  In any event, I would love to be proven wrong.

ricepig

Quote from: logic on April 03, 2017, 05:33:29 pm
Regardless I believe Mike Neighbors is a top quality coach. However, I don't believe he can win without top players, with a couple of our top recruited players, leaving, and with top Arkansas recruits choosing to play elsewhere.  Nevertheless, I admit, I am fallible so perhaps you know something I don't.  In any event, I would love to be proven wrong.

Well, he's not going to win big next year, but he has recruited well in the past and should get us back to respectability.

nwahogfan1

Lets hope our new coach can change the minds of those transferring plus sign at least one stud in this class.  He has to have lots of contacts who maybe would not go to Washington but will come to Arkansas and play in the SEC.  This is not his first rodeo and has many ties to HS and JUCO coaches plus to transfers who has immediate eligibility and can help next year.  At least I hope so.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 03, 2017, 07:12:27 pm
Lets hope our new coach can change the minds of those transferring plus sign at least one stud in this class.  He has to have lots of contacts who maybe would not go to Washington but will come to Arkansas and play in the SEC.  This is not his first rodeo and has many ties to HS and JUCO coaches plus to transfers who has immediate eligibility and can help next year.  At least I hope so.

any njcaa's not already committed are prime candidates about now.  this is about the time we picked up on DC and AC.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Supermark101

Quote from: logic on April 03, 2017, 05:20:58 pm
I remember Kentucky beat us for the National Championship when we had Eddie Sutton. I never claimed they always play for the NC but when have they every lost half of their games?

Patino was 14 and 14 his first year and Sutton went 13 and 19 in his last.

logic

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 03, 2017, 07:12:27 pm
Lets hope our new coach can change the minds of those transferring plus sign at least one stud in this class.
In this class, every 4 and 5 star player has already signed or committed.  The one excepting is Julia Reisigerova from Prague, Czech Rep.  There are a few 3 star player.  Basically recruiting for 2017 is well done. 

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: logic on April 05, 2017, 12:16:19 am
In this class, every 4 and 5 star player has already signed or committed.  The one excepting is Julia Reisigerova from Prague, Czech Rep.  There are a few 3 star player.  Basically recruiting for 2017 is well done. 

That's not quite correct. Destiny Littleton, ESPN's #33 player, has been released from her USC pledge after their coaching change, and she is available. Also, Tesia Thompson is a four-star player that has not committed.  I'm not sure how well either of these players fit our needs -- both are 5'9" guards -- but they are both unsigned, top 100 kids. And those are just the ESPN Hoopgurlz ratings. ProspectsNation also lists a couple other highly rated kids who are uncommitted, and there may be other kids who back out of NLI's after coaching changes, as well. Also, your comment about 3 stars is just wrong. There are dozens of unsigned 3 star kids.

But the overall point is correct - there are very few unsigned blue-chip players left out there. The targets now have to be any unsigned kids who might fit well, JUCO's, and grad transfers (who have immediate eligibility).

Hogtied85

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 05, 2017, 12:53:47 am
That's not quite correct. Destiny Littleton, ESPN's #33 player, has been released from her USC pledge after their coaching change, and she is available. Also, Tesia Thompson is a four-star player that has not committed.  I'm not sure how well either of these players fit our needs -- both are 5'9" guards -- but they are both unsigned, top 100 kids. And those are just the ESPN Hoopgurlz ratings. ProspectsNation also lists a couple other highly rated kids who are uncommitted, and there may be other kids who back out of NLI's after coaching changes, as well. Also, your comment about 3 stars is just wrong. There are dozens of unsigned 3 star kids.

But the overall point is correct - there are very few unsigned blue-chip players left out there. The targets now have to be any unsigned kids who might fit well, JUCO's, and grad transfers (who have immediate eligibility).

Slocum from Maryland is now available. She was asked for her release and was granted so now she is available too.

psycHOGlogist

She will have to sit out a year, however.

Fun fact: Slocum originally committed to UW and Mike Neighbors, but then reopened her commitment and went to MD. Now she's homesick and wants to be "closer to home," which reports have said is "anywhere west of the Mississippi River."

Several prognosticators have her headed to Oregon, but we'll see.

logic

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 05, 2017, 12:53:47 am

You are right I missed both of those. ESPN does say Destiny Littleton is from California and is considering USC so no hope there. Tesia Thompson is from Memphis and Tennessess has already signed 4 of the top 12 players so she may be a possibility.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: logic on March 18, 2017, 08:52:27 am
With the top rated players and other players transferring,  with a player decommitting, and the best player in the state not even considering Arkansas, regardless of who the next coach is, it is hopeless. And, I don't have the time or patience wait the 5 years or more it would take for ladyback basketball to be competitive.

If it wasn't for Title IX, we should drop women's basketball.  However, there is no need to waste money on expensive coaches. Just have volunteer coaches and pay for expenses and recruit the few player that have extremely high SAT scores; the type that would be given academic scholarships.  That way the cost would be minimal and we would still give the athletic scholarships to help meet Title IX requirements.

So what if they don't win a game and lose most  games by 50, the families and friends would still buy tickets and not many more than that are going to the games anyway.
Based on the latest hire are you still so sure ???

logic

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on April 05, 2017, 05:50:57 pm
Based on the latest hire are you still so sure ???
Truthfully, I'm conflicted.  Based on my internal logic, what I posted makes sense.  However, I really want the lady Razorbacks to be successful.  If Wilson can be persuaded to stay, perhaps that is a good indication that my logic is flawed.  I certainly hope so even though I fear that I may be right.

jackflash

jim683

look at the attendance at Washington during his tenure there,  The crowds grew each year,   
this should continue at Arkansas. 

Pork Twain

April 07, 2017, 01:14:17 pm #66 Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 01:25:09 pm by Pork Twain
Based on what he did at Washington, why doubt he can do exactly the same here?  Plus he loves the Hogs and will likely be able to recruit players here like no one else could.  I have always disliked women's basketball and for the first time ever, I am excited about this team.

Before he arrived there, they were:
19-11
18-13
13-18
8-22
13-18
11-17
20-14
21-12

After he arrived, they were:
20-14
23-10
26-11
29-6
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/