Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Twitterers do make a difference

Started by Hogpkins, December 16, 2014, 08:45:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogpkins

I've wondered whether fans following recruits on Twitter have any real impact on recruiting. We've seen comments here or there from recruits acknowledging how Arkansas fans stood out as the most passionate, but I wasn't sure whether that was just lip service.

I came across this tweet from a couple weeks ago, SIAP.

@BretBielema With our season #HOGS support was felt nationwide. In today's recruiting social media & following is huge We all make a difference! #WoooPig
3:18 PM - 30 Nov 2014

He also sent that tweet the other day about legal help during the dead period. Definite confirmation (from the guy who would know) that our fans really do influence recruiting. He wouldn't keep tweeting about it if he didn't need our help. We of course have to be tactful, but this should be very encouraging for fans who love to get involved on twitter with recruits.

HoggusMaximus

This is pretty much like telling your kid that his crap drawing is great and putting it on the refrigerator. CBB is just playing to the passion of the fanbase.

Smart move. Keep the people who feed you happy.

[attachment deleted by admin]

redeye

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on December 16, 2014, 08:58:49 pm
This is pretty much like telling your kid that his crap drawing is great and putting it on the refrigerator. CBB is just playing to the passion of the fanbase.

Not sure I understand that analogy, but I'm quite sure that fans matter.  I don't use Twitter, so I don't contact recruits, but Twitter is a standard communications medium today.  It's a tool and I'm glad we use it.

One of the main questions recruits seem to have with any school is "What are the fans like"?  Our inability to answer that question in the past, without them first taking a visit, has probably held us back some, but now they can get an idea on Twitter.  That's good for us.

HoggusMaximus

Quote from: redeye on December 16, 2014, 09:05:26 pm
Not sure I understand that analogy, but I'm quite sure that fans matter.  I don't use Twitter, so I don't contact recruits, but Twitter is a standard communications medium today.  It's a tool and I'm glad we use it.

One of the main questions recruits seem to have with any school is "What are the fans like"?  Our inability to answer that question in the past, without them first taking a visit, has probably held us back some, but now they can get an idea on Twitter.  That's good for us.

Fans = kid
Twitter recruiting = crappie drawing that he did his best on
CBB = Mom/Dad

Get it now?

redeye

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on December 16, 2014, 09:11:24 pm

Fans = kid
CBB = Mom/Dad

Get it now?

Yea, I get it and there may be some truth in that, but I also think it does matter.  Bob Stoops, along with other coaches, have talked about the importance of Twitter in recruiting.  Lot's of head coaches use Twitter for recruiting nowadays and I'm sure most recruits love the attention from coaches, players and fans.

greenie

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on December 16, 2014, 09:11:24 pm

Fans = kid
CBB = Mom/Dad

Get it now?

Christmas gift idea: "How to Win Friends and Influence People".   

Music City Hog

Quote from: greenie on December 16, 2014, 09:26:36 pm

He must be really old. 

Adam Stokes

Twitter will never a top 5 reason for a recruit, but I believe it factors in.  Recruits want to play for a passionate fan base.  Twitter is basically a virtual Catfish Hole without hush puppies.

greenie

Quote from: Adam Stokes on December 16, 2014, 09:39:14 pm
Twitter will never a top 5 reason for a recruit, but I believe it factors in.  Recruits want to play for a passionate fan base.  Twitter is basically a virtual Catfish Hole without hush puppies.

Agreed.  I've seen many instances where recruits were directly asking for fan followers.  The entire recruiting process has a large ego component.  I doubt twitter makes a huge difference in the end, but recruiters are looking for any way they can to make these guys feel like they're really wanted.  Its feels a little creepy for me to follow recruits, so I don't, but if that's your thing, more power to you.

mhuff

Quote from: greenie on December 16, 2014, 09:47:14 pm
Agreed.  I've seen many instances where recruits were directly asking for fan followers.  The entire recruiting process has a large ego component.  I doubt twitter makes a huge difference in the end, but recruiters are looking for any way they can to make these guys feel like they're really wanted.  Its feels a little creepy for me to follow recruits, so I don't, but if that's your thing, more power to you.

TomBigBeeHog

I think Josh Allen cited love that hog fans showed him on Twitter as a big reason why he committed without seeing the campus.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Many would be surprised how much stock young people put into social media today. Twitter can be like a virtual handshake, meet and greet, party or old time telephone conversation to todays kids. If the kid is into it, it can mean a lot.

I did the twitter thing for a few months around recruiting deadline back when and I can say without a doubt, it played a BIG part in getting Denver Kirkland here, it was probably the tie breaker.

Thinking about finding my password and starting up again.

Music City Hog

If you're not active on twitter than you're cheating yourself. I don't tweet, but follow hundreds of people.  You can be stubborn and pretend twitter is something odd, but it is where all news breaks.  I'm not just talking recruiting or sports, but all news across all genres.   Fight it if you want, but you're the one that's missing out. 

If you're not at least following and reading twitter then do yourself a favor and start right now.  It's almost 2015.  You're not proving a point by resisting what is the absolute technological and societal norm.   

redeye

Great analogy!

WBC Hog

Quote from: Music City Hog on December 16, 2014, 11:25:04 pm
If you're not active on twitter than you're cheating yourself. I don't tweet, but follow hundreds of people.  You can be stubborn and pretend twitter is something odd, but it is where all news breaks.  I'm not just talking recruiting or sports, but all news across all genres.   Fight it if you want, but you're the one that's missing out. 

If you're not at least following and reading twitter then do yourself a favor and start right now.  It's almost 2015.  You're not proving a point by resisting what is the absolute technological and societal norm.

This is so true.

I follow all kinds of sporting news across the nation and I always find out breaking news off of twitter. Twitter is awesome once you know how to use it.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: Music City Hog on December 16, 2014, 11:25:04 pm

Quote from: WBC Hog on December 16, 2014, 11:34:01 pm
This is so true.

I follow all kinds of sporting news across the nation and I always find out breaking news off of twitter. Twitter is awesome once you know how to use it.

Convinced. I'm back in.

Break & Run

I always see breaking news on twitter then race here to see if people have already posted it.

And yes, it does help. A young RB by the name of Jonathon Williams said the passionate fans on twitter showed him what a great fan base we were and was a big decision on him coming to Arkansas while he was currently committed to Missouri.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

Pork Twain

December 17, 2014, 05:27:58 am #17 Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 05:40:17 am by Pork Twain
Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on December 16, 2014, 11:19:32 pm
Many would be surprised how much stock young people put into social media today. Twitter can be like a virtual handshake, meet and greet, party or old time telephone conversation to todays kids. If the kid is into it, it can mean a lot.

I did the twitter thing for a few months around recruiting deadline back when and I can say without a doubt, it played a BIG part in getting Denver Kirkland here, it was probably the tie breaker.

Thinking about finding my password and starting up again.
Having four teenagers under my roof, all on Twitter, it seems like some in this thread are putting way too much stock in how much most really "care" about Twitter.  It is nice but short-lived.  Many of them have also moved to Snapchat and Instagram.  Kids love attention but there is no way to give Twitter the credit people think it deserves, because unless you actually know this kid, you have no idea why he or she is "really" making their decisions.  I can tell you that is a fact.  Lip service kids give outsiders is much different than what they really think much of the time.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

immahog

Quote from: greenie on December 16, 2014, 09:26:36 pm

Great Read
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

Mike_e

It takes rain, wind and lightening to make a storm.

Y'all do what you can.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

wholehog92

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 17, 2014, 05:27:58 am
Having four teenagers under my roof, all on Twitter, it seems like some in this thread are putting way too much stock in how much most really "care" about Twitter.  It is nice but short-lived.  Many of them have also moved to Snapchat and Instagram.  Kids love attention but there is no way to give Twitter the credit people think it deserves, because unless you actually know this kid, you have no idea why he or she is "really" making their decisions.  I can tell you that is a fact.  Lip service kids give outsiders is much different than what they really think much of the time.

That is indeed a man with teens in the house.  What teens value on social media changes based on how quickly adults catch on to what they value.  Once adults figure it out, they are already on or are on the way to the next one.  Myspace, facebook, twitter, instagram, snapchat and on and on.  Unless you have the goals of parental escape and being with the cool kids, you will not keep up with them.

Some do love the attention and twitter is where they go to interact with adults, but you are getting adult lip service from a teenager.  You are not getting "their private discussions and thoughts with their friends."  Clearly there will be exceptions, but having a teen in the house and one in college, the perceptions in this thread aren't what I see at home.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

Pork Twain

Most adults are out of touch with the kids, even when they try.  Adults without kids are so far out of touch it is scary.  Threads like this prove that.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

wholehog92

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 17, 2014, 11:11:31 am
Most adults are out of touch with the kids, even when they try.  Adults without kids are so far out of touch it is scary.  Threads like this prove that.

My son asked my mother for a book on python.  She gave him a book about taking care of snakes.  He very politely told her thank you so much and gave her a hug and did everything very appropriately.  My mother to this day felt like she connected to him and got him what he wanted.  My son and I laugh about that to this day.  I'm not so delusional that I think I am keeping up with where he is in the social world.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

Hoggish1

Twitter is basically a virtual Catfish Hole without hush puppies.

LOL Well, that doesn't speak well of twitter.  A virtual letter, phone call or pat on the butt, maybe...?.

ARtillahog

Twitter is basically a virtual Catfish Hole without hush puppies.

if we could figure out the whole "hushpuppies" deal, we'd be unstopable!!!

RazorPiggie

Sorry I don't do the Twitters. Hopefully we don't lose a recruit because of it. But even if I did I wouldn't follow or tweet recruits and I'm under the age of 30.

Pork Twain

Adults following kids they do not know is creepy.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 17, 2014, 06:43:21 pm
Adults following kids they do not know is creepy.
I would venture to guess that people can follow the coaches. and tweet positive comments that would be seen by recruits that also follow the coaches.

but then again I don't tweet, so I'm not sure how it all works.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Looks like there is a wide range of thoughts and opinions about tweeting.

We don't have teenage football recruits in our house or any kind of teenager, but I do know, without a doubt, the Hogs better have a strong tweeting fan base or we will miss out on a recruit or two from time to time.

ar_hog_fan

Quote from: RazorPiggie on December 17, 2014, 03:28:56 pm
Sorry I don't do the Twitters. Hopefully we don't lose a recruit because of it. But even if I did I wouldn't follow or tweet recruits and I'm under the age of 30.

I'm only 21, and while I do have a twitter, I don't really put a whole lot of stock into it regarding my social life. I use it mainly to have a good laugh here and there, or catch up on sporting news by following coaches, current players, columnists, and so on. I very rarely post anything myself, unless I'm retweeting what someone else has posted, and I don't ever follow recruits either until they sign with arkansas. While my generation gets completely caught up in all that, I don't have a lot to do with it. Just my take on it.

Hawg_Thai'd

Twitter?............... Is this real life?
I'm a helluva guy. One of the best, in fact.

Pork Twain

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on December 18, 2014, 01:05:05 am
Looks like there is a wide range of thoughts and opinions about tweeting.

We don't have teenage football recruits in our house or any kind of teenager, but I do know, without a doubt, the Hogs better have a strong tweeting fan base or we will miss out on a recruit or two from time to time.
You can't say you don't know anything about a topic and then turn around and state that you know something about a topic, "without a doubt".

Hogpkins

He said he doesn't have teenage football recruits in his house. And to you, that = "don't know anything about a topic." You on the other hand, do have teenagers in your house so you are an expert.

And the purpose of Coach B's tweet was what? Hanging a child's ugly picture on his fridge, like the first reply speculated? Maybe Coach B knows a little bit more about the effect twitter has on the kids he's recruiting, despite even him not having teenage kids in his house. You said yourself you would have to know the kid to know what he's thinking, and you may know your 4 teenagers but you don't know any of our recruits.

yraciv

Twitter is very important to the coaches.  It is a way to get in touch with a prospect easily, and show them love through a social medium that wasn't available in the old days.  Coach B has used it for many subtle references to individual recruits and they eat that crap up.

Now with this good of twitter, comes the fans inclusion in it.  We can easily see who our coaches are following and connect with recruits.  You can see what he is saying about you school, if he is visiting, and even direct message him if he starts to follow you.  That is all fine and dandy when you act like an adult, but there are a lot of rabid fans out there.  A kid who is asking for followers, do you really think he wants a daily message a day from the same 60 year old fan in Dumas telling him to come be a Hog? Do you really think he is looking for the DM telling him he can go to hell and you wish bad things on his family after he commits to another school?  Those happen and it can just as easily eliminate a kid from considering you as it does show him the love.

Twitter is what it is.  If it's a make or break for a kid, I'm not sure that is the kind of student-athlete I want in my program.  I understand some of these kids are infatuated with social media and it's a race to build their followers and fanbase, but that is all it is to most of them.  They are getting so many text messages, direct messages a day, that you'd be lucky if they see half of them or reply to any of them.  There is no way to police what any major programs fans do on there, which I'm sure Coach B expresses to them.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Hogpkins on December 18, 2014, 01:40:41 pm
He said he doesn't have teenage football recruits in his house. And to you, that = "don't know anything about a topic." You on the other hand, do have teenagers in your house so you are an expert.

And the purpose of Coach B's tweet was what? Hanging a child's ugly picture on his fridge, like the first reply speculated? Maybe Coach B knows a little bit more about the effect twitter has on the kids he's recruiting, despite even him not having teenage kids in his house. You said yourself you would have to know the kid to know what he's thinking, and you may know your 4 teenagers but you don't know any of our recruits.
Actually he said he did not have any recruits or any teenagers in his house.  I am not an expert but I pay attention to what my kids and their friends are doing and what is trending with them.

You are right, I do not know our recruits, but I do know teenagers and I know that the adults we have stalking kids on Twitter, put way much more thought in it than the kids do.

Adults that are following these kids on Twitter want to think what they are doing matters.  I get that, but it does not mean it really matters.  Coaches, scheme, university, fit, teammates, facilities and conference matter far more than Twitter followers.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Here's why he tweeted that:

A certain kid lives in Florida. No doubt this kid is surrounded by Gator and Nole fans. For a couple of weeks, the coaches can't have constant interaction with this particular kid. Because of that, the kid will be hearing mostly pro-gator or pro-nole things. Since the coaches can't stay in his ear constantly, they need someone with a pro-arkansas agenda to get in his ear as much as possible. That's where our fanbase has a role in this. That's why he's asking for help.

Hogpkins

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 18, 2014, 03:16:39 pm

Adults that are following these kids on Twitter want to think what they are doing matters.  I get that, but it does not mean it really matters.  Coaches, scheme, university, fit, teammates, facilities and conference matter far more than Twitter followers.

I agree with your last sentence, absolutely. The twitter effect is limited and there are many more important factors in a recruit's decision. I'm only saying there is apparently *some* effect, based on Coach B's tweet. Before he said that, I had questioned whether there was *any* effect, at least any positive effect.

I think IBleed explains the reasoning very well. I also agree that there are plenty of idiots on social media (see Hogville), and they could have a negative effect in some circumstances. However, I figure that since Coach B actively encouraged fans to reach out to recruits, he must believe there's more good than harm done.

As to the creepiness factor, I assume most of the people tweeting at recruits are not 60-year-old men but probably teens and 20-somethings. I find it odd, though, that people on here -- a message board devoted to following football recruits -- are so quick to denounce twittering with recruits as WAY creepy. Myself, I've never tweeted period, but I don't see anything wrong with it for people who are big into tweeting. And I don't look down my nose at them (assuming they are tactful) like they are somehow below all of us who enjoy chatting about the very same thing on the message board.

Hawg_Thai'd

Quote from: Hogpkins on December 18, 2014, 07:08:45 pm
I agree with your last sentence, absolutely. The twitter effect is limited and there are many more important factors in a recruit's decision. I'm only saying there is apparently *some* effect, based on Coach B's tweet. Before he said that, I had questioned whether there was *any* effect, at least any positive effect.

I think IBleed explains the reasoning very well. I also agree that there are plenty of idiots on social media (see Hogville), and they could have a negative effect in some circumstances. However, I figure that since Coach B actively encouraged fans to reach out to recruits, he must believe there's more good than harm done.

As to the creepiness factor, I assume most of the people tweeting at recruits are not 60-year-old men but probably teens and 20-somethings. I find it odd, though, that people on here -- a message board devoted to following football recruits -- are so quick to denounce twittering with recruits as WAY creepy. Myself, I've never tweeted period, but I don't see anything wrong with it for people who are big into tweeting. And I don't look down my nose at them (assuming they are tactful) like they are somehow below all of us who enjoy chatting about the very same thing on the message board.

Well said. The minds and emotions of people in today's technologically advanced society are evolving as fast as the programs that stimulate them. There is an effect, to some degree, and if fans use it properly, they can benefit from it. We do have some effective tweeters in our fan base. We've also got a few that says stupid is. It's all about the entertainment value. IMO

redeye

I think it's about building relationships with the recruit, so he may be interested enough to visit, and we all know how important it is to get them on campus.  It's sort of like advertising in that you're constantly keeping a product name on the consumers mind, but the product name in this case is the University of Arkansas.  Similarly, the coaches send some recruits dozens of letters, but does it really help to send more then one at a time?  The players probably think it's a sign that we're more interested in them and I'm sure it doesn't hurt to have letters with Razorbacks all around them.

There was a time when I also considered it creepy, but the players are usually putting themselves out there to be contacted, so even though I don't do it, I don't have a problem with those who do tweet them.  247 Sports puts player's twitter feeds on their profile page, so everyone can read what they tweet and that's just how it works nowadays.  Now, if you start calling them at home and confronting them at football games, then that would be creepy, but that's different.  Even so, I still think what some fans tweet can still be a little creepy, but all fan bases have these people.

Hogpkins

Quote from: redeye on December 18, 2014, 07:56:28 pm
I think it's about building relationships with the recruit, so he may be interested enough to visit, and we all know how important it is to get them on campus.  It's sort of like advertising in that you're constantly keeping a product name on the consumers mind, but the product name in this case is the University of Arkansas.  Similarly, the coaches send some recruits dozens of letters, but does it really help to send more then one at a time?  The players probably think it's a sign that we're more interested in them and I'm sure it doesn't hurt to have letters with Razorbacks all around them.

You nailed it here. And like advertising, it's a subtle influence. It may get your attention, but ultimately you are going to make your car-buying decision based on bigger things like how it drives. Still, a positive distinctive impression lasts.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Hogpkins on December 18, 2014, 07:08:45 pm

Sounds about right

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on December 18, 2014, 03:22:26 pm
Here's why he tweeted that:

A certain kid lives in Florida. No doubt this kid is surrounded by Gator and Nole fans. For a couple of weeks, the coaches can't have constant interaction with this particular kid. Because of that, the kid will be hearing mostly pro-gator or pro-nole things. Since the coaches can't stay in his ear constantly, they need someone with a pro-arkansas agenda to get in his ear as much as possible. That's where our fanbase has a role in this. That's why he's asking for help.
This is an exact repeat of what happened with Denver Kirkland except with The U and this is part of what I am basing my "without a doubt comment on" and I suspect  CBB is looking for repeat help from the twitterers. Kirkland asked how many Hogs fans are out there and asked to be followed. Hog fans responded in great numbers, were polite and proper and the few Miami Fans were just plain weird.

Is twitterers a word?

Hawg_Thai'd

HogPound

Grown men that follow and harass kids online. Isn't that a social convention that can lead to a felony? Or prison time?