Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jimmy Whitt

Started by Swinesong1, November 29, 2014, 05:41:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bigred223

I'm seeing a lot of comparisons to Patrick Beverly. Physically, I think he is more like BJ Young. Like BJ, he is an elite athlete; however, this guy is an elite scorer (much better jump shooter). He just gets buckets plain and simple. He has nice one on one handles and can score from anywhere in the half court as well as get out in transition. We are very lucky to have him on board.

Here is his summer mixtape. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpwfY1TFhfU

The_Iceman

Quote from: mbgrulz on December 02, 2014, 12:19:18 pm
How do you get to that conclusion?

First, I LOVE Beard! He plays with such toughness and BB IQ. He's what LR kids should be. He's my favorite of the 2014's.

But...Beard is 5'10" and not very explosive. Whitt is 6'2" with long arms and can apparently FLY.

I realize that he may be skinny, but those are problems that are very fixable and usually go away after high school...You can't coach size...wing span...and instincts.

It seems to me that Beard is the one who had questionable measurables coming into college.

Beard is a little on the short side for a guard who isn't really a speedster. But, he is a very good shooter (46% 3pt), and is developing his pull up shot and floaters. His lack of speed will prevent him from becoming an Elite guard, but he can still be a very good one.

bigred223

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 02, 2014, 12:30:31 pm
Beard is a little on the short side for a guard who isn't really a speedster. But, he is a very good shooter (46% 3pt), and is developing his pull up shot and floaters. His lack of speed will prevent him from becoming an Elite guard, but he can still be a very good one.

Agreed. What Beard lacks in size and speed he more than makes up for with effort, skill, and basketball IQ. IMO, those traits are more important in college ball than pure athleticism.

Hawg Red

Quote from: bigred223 on December 02, 2014, 12:28:26 pm
I'm seeing a lot of comparisons to Patrick Beverly. Physically, I think that comparison makes sense. However, this guy is an elite scorer (better than Beverly in that regard). He just gets buckets plain and simple. He has nice one on one handles and can score from anywhere in the half court as well as get out in transition. We are very lucky to have him on board.

Lot of similarities between the two, but like you said, Whitt, at least at this stage, is a much better scorer. However, Whitt isn't likely to ever have the dog in him that Beverley does. Few do. His tenacity is on another level.

Swinesong1

Love how comfortable he is with his off (left) hand!

bigred223

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 02, 2014, 12:34:41 pm
Lot of similarities between the two, but like you said, Whitt, at least at this stage, is a much better scorer. However, Whitt isn't likely to ever have the dog in him that Beverley does. Few do. His tenacity is on another level.

Yep. P Bev was my favorite player from the day he got on campus. I remember going to the red white game his freshman year, and he was doing a little dunk showcase. I couldn't believe the rise he had for a shorter player. His tenacity is what has earned him a job in the NBA.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: bigred223 on December 02, 2014, 12:28:26 pm
I'm seeing a lot of comparisons to Patrick Beverly. Physically, I think he is more like BJ Young. Like BJ, he is an elite athlete; however, this guy is an elite scorer (much better jump shooter). He just gets buckets plain and simple. He has nice one on one handles and can score from anywhere in the half court as well as get out in transition. We are very lucky to have him on board.

love how he uses subtle shifts on the dribble to create space for a floater in the lane. we are going to love this guy as a Hog. Good times ahead. Woo Pig!  :razorback:
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: Danny J on November 29, 2014, 10:54:47 pm
Yeah....we definitely need another athletic big. Somebody with some size and back to the basket skill. We must have that next year to be where we want to be. Portis is gone after this year.

did skipper play basketball in colorado?
The rest of the frog.

Hogberry Snortcake

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: bigred223 on December 02, 2014, 12:33:55 pm
Agreed. What Beard lacks in size and speed he more than makes up for with effort, skill, and basketball IQ. IMO, those traits are more important in college ball than pure athleticism.
Beard is also pretty thick for his size and with him being a lefty helps him make up for that lack of elite athleticism for an undersized guard
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

mbgrulz

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 02, 2014, 12:30:31 pm
All that is obvious...my point was about Beard projecting better to college than Whitt. There's absolutely no question than Whitt projects better to college. He's a prototypical college guard...6'2" or better with a 6'9" wingspan and is a proven big time scorer.

Again, I absolutely love Beard. He's my favorite 2014 signee. I was absolutely sure he'd be better than Durham when most thought he'd sit behind Durham this year. I like his savvy and toughness most of all. He's not afraid and is just a baller. He does so many things you can't teach. My point was about projections based on physical attributes.

dhornjr1

Quote from: -Blu on December 02, 2014, 11:04:09 am
6'9 wingspan that's ridiculous for a guy his size.  I can't wait until he gets on campus.  Pat Beverley is the perfect comparison for him.  Combo guard, defensive stopper, and can shoot the ball. 

Rajon Rondo is 6'1" with a 6'9" wingspan.

mbgrulz

I may be wrong, but I feel like Whitt has much more offensive game than Beverley did at the same stage.  Whitt just seems so polished and multi-dimensional with the ball in his hands.

Danny J

Quote from: mbgrulz on December 02, 2014, 09:14:53 pm
I may be wrong, but I feel like Whitt has much more offensive game than Beverley did at the same stage.  Whitt just seems so polished and multi-dimensional with the ball in his hands.
He is a better shooting BJ. Whitt is the real deal and will likely start from day one.

LRRandy

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 02, 2014, 09:41:52 am
How tall did Whitt look?
his hair makes him look 6'4". He was shorter than my 6'3" son.
This is fun, isn't it.

Rawker

Quote from: LRRandy on December 02, 2014, 10:02:10 pm
his hair makes him look 6'4". He was shorter than my 6'3" son.

He's 6' 5", with the Afro 6' 9".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7AUpGXLDdk

Big Nasty 34

If jimmy is half as good as BJ on the fast break, then we are in business. Ready to see him play!

Swinesong1

Scored 30 tonight in team's 68-47 win.  4-0 record.

RazorAg

Quote from: mbgrulz on December 02, 2014, 09:14:53 pm

Beverley was a more aggressive scorer at the same stage. Whitt is more well rounded.

b_stackhouse

Quote from: Birminghog on December 02, 2014, 11:06:08 am
There should be a mercy rule in high school basketball

In Missouri there is. If you are up 30 (I believe) in the 4th quarter the clock runs non stop.

-Blu

Quote from: RazorAg on December 04, 2014, 06:57:53 am
Beverley was a more aggressive scorer at the same stage. Whitt is more well rounded.

This^  I was trying to find Beverely's high school stats, before I said something, but I remember him being a pretty good scorer in high school.

Amityvillehogger

Calling the hogs during Monks video. Like it!
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

mbgrulz

Quote from: RazorAg on December 04, 2014, 06:57:53 am
Yea, As I go back and watch some of P-Bev's HS film, he was an aggressive scorer...Plus you gotta give him props for doing it in Chicago's notoriously tough HS basketball leagues.

I did notice that Pat struggled to get above the rim and could barely throw it down whereas Whitt plays easily above the rim...

I agree with your assessment that Whit is more polished player.

Swinesong1

Scored 34 last night in a 77-92 loss.

RazorAg

Quote from: -Blu on December 04, 2014, 01:12:33 pm
This^  I was trying to find Beverely's high school stats, before I said something, but I remember him being a pretty good scorer in high school.

Averaged 38

Swinesong1

Had 32 pts, 4 assists, 8 rebounds and 7 steals in win tonight.

bigred223

Quote from: Swinesong1 on December 06, 2014, 10:37:44 pm
Had 32 pts, 4 assists, 8 rebounds and 7 steals in win tonight.

That's what you call a stat sheet stuffer.

Swinesong1

Had 18 in blowout win tonight.  First time below 28 pts this season.

Razorod

Thanks. Gonna be a good one!
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Swinesong1

Had 21 in 51-49 win tonight.

Ray Piggers

Can't say the kid isn't confident.

"Whitt on his late FTs: "I think I'm probably one of the most clutch players...Ever. I wasn't really nervous, & I wore my lucky Kobe's."
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

Modsquad24

He is the kinda kid this program needs, hes not scared, he knows hes really good and isnt shy about it i like that....he may be our guy like napier from uconn next few yrs

Razorod

I love to watch him play and think he'll be one of the best guards we've had on campus in a long time. Smooth, confident player. Perfect fit for Anderson's system.

Hogimus Prime

I'm excited about Whitt with Beard and Babb on the perimeter in the future.

Like it is

Just remember the name Daryl Macon ! He has one more year of JC ball in Mississippi... He's a Really Good player !! Google & see ! He'll be a Hog ! Mark it Down ! Already a verbal commit. Played High School @ LR Parkview

The Hogfather

Razorod

Quote from: Like it is on December 19, 2014, 12:28:15 pm
Just remember the name Daryl Macon ! He has one more year of JC ball in Mississippi... He's a Really Good player !! Google & see ! He'll be a Hog ! Mark it Down ! Already a verbal commit. Played High School @ LR Parkview
will do. Is he a verbal commit? Haven't this information from anyone else.

-Blu

Quote from: Like it is on December 19, 2014, 12:28:15 pm

I've been following Macon as well, dude has been lighting it up in JUCO, he's averaging like 27 PPG.  Made player of the week a couple of times already.  He will be a good pickup for the 2016 class.  Should be one of the top JUCO guys coming out.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Razorod on December 19, 2014, 01:13:41 pm
will do. Is he a verbal commit? Haven't this information from anyone else.

I think its one of those "If they offer, I'll be a Hog" type things.

He has amazing stats:
http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2014-15/div1/players/darylmaconns40

The_Iceman

December 19, 2014, 01:38:27 pm #91 Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 01:54:45 pm by The_Iceman
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4781810/highlights/201192383

Macon is #4 in White. (Skip to 2:10 mark, after that three, his next scoring run comes in the 8:00 territory, then another three at 11:55, and 23:00, 23:45, 25:00, 26:25)

-Blu

December 19, 2014, 06:38:05 pm #92 Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 07:09:54 pm by -Blu
Quote from: The_Iceman on December 19, 2014, 01:38:27 pm
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4781810/highlights/201192383

Macon is #4 in White. (Skip to 2:10 mark, after that three, his next scoring run comes in the 8:00 territory, then another three at 11:55, and 23:00, 23:45, 25:00, 26:25)

Nice find...  He can really shoot the ball.  Looks like he can also play some PG as well.  I like his game a lot, very confident player. Staff needs to go ahead and get that commitment from him this off-season. 

edit: I watched the video, look at 28:30, Macon does the "Jr Smith" and unties the guys shoe and gets a technical.  That's not a good look at all, he needs to get that under control, CMA isn't going to put up with stuff like that.