Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anybody Buying?

Started by HawgWild, August 01, 2014, 02:41:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

userpick

Quote from: userpick on September 26, 2014, 12:51:19 am
I'll be buying ALK at the end of this month.

Bought at 43.54, just sold at 49.45. A solid 3 weeks.

pheine78

October 29, 2014, 06:48:19 pm #51 Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 05:24:57 am by pheine78
I sold too soon.....way too soon.  I made solid money, but if I would have waited it would have been much more.  Sooooooo much more.  Perhaps I should listen to HiM more?  Nah...I think not.  Now I am hesitant about plowing the gains back in.  Part of me wants to wait, but for what?   
Nolan for defensive coordinator!

userpick

I will be buying VMC right before closing bell on Friday. Here's to hoping for a profitable November...

BENTON PIGGEE

What do you like about VMC?

BENTON PIGGEE

Gilead(GILD) is at 107 today and it looks like it wants to go up.

mhuff

Quote from: hawgbawb on October 16, 2014, 02:27:40 pm
Price of oil dropping fast. If it hits $70/bbl the frackers and tar sanders will say "frack-it."

Target for me is 65

mhuff

November 10, 2014, 06:30:45 pm #56 Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 11:54:55 am by mhuff
Quote from: pheine78 on August 02, 2014, 06:48:45 pm
Nope, sold a lot of my volatile stocks though, especially tech.  Correction coming now through the November elections.  I have plenty of cash on hand to buy after the election though.  That's not to say nothing is worth buying...if a stock is good it is good.  What say all of you?

Selling /ES at 2050.     Markets usually trade down the last two years of a lame duck president.

/ES..... target could be 2043.5.     Nice little double top for a small correction. If it goes past 2026 could be more than a small correction... retracement.... whatever..... overdue to take a breather. Usually this time of year trades up. Some are saying 2400 or 2500 on S&P next year.

BENTON PIGGEE

I bought BABA at $98 and it's at $118. So I did some option trades on it too. Bought UA at $64 and is now at a $69 handle. I will write covered calls on it if it goes a little higher.

mhuff

People don't write covered calls as much as they should. I guess a buy and hold mentality.

userpick

Quote from: userpick on October 29, 2014, 10:58:19 pm
I will be buying VMC right before closing bell on Friday. Here's to hoping for a profitable November...

Bought for 61.71, just sold for 67.71. 9% in 3 weeks. Now I just need X to make a comeback.

aristotle

Quote from: aristotle on September 23, 2014, 03:57:29 pm
Buying Dollars with Yen. And Pounds with Euros on divergent central bank rate forecasts.

Anybody else?

[attachment deleted by admin]

HawgWild

Anybody buying oil/gas stocks on this dip? I'm thinking about making a dollar cost averaging purchase but I've been burned on this strategy before.

BENTON PIGGEE

November 28, 2014, 08:12:52 pm #62 Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 08:38:08 pm by BENTON PIGGEE
Quote from: HawgWild on November 28, 2014, 12:08:42 pm
Anybody buying oil/gas stocks on this dip? I'm thinking about making a dollar cost averaging purchase but I've been burned on this strategy before.

I'm buying(actually selling puts on) CLR. I think they will buy other frackers that are weaker and don't have as deep reserves or cash. Stay with solid companies that have no chance of bankrupting and hold on until they go up. Lost $20k on it today. I don't think the Saudis are doing this to wipe out all frackers/tar sanders, just enough to decrease production so oil can stay at $90-100, which is where I think it will be by this summer. What do you guys think?

Edit: I also have 60 short call spreads on an oil etf that went up alot today. So I'm bearish on oil short-term, bullish long-term

userpick

Quote from: BENTON PIGGEE on November 28, 2014, 08:12:52 pm
I'm buying(actually selling puts on) CLR. I think they will buy other frackers that are weaker and don't have as deep reserves or cash. Stay with solid companies that have no chance of bankrupting and hold on until they go up. Lost $20k on it today. I don't think the Saudis are doing this to wipe out all frackers/tar sanders, just enough to decrease production so oil can stay at $90-100, which is where I think it will be by this summer. What do you guys think?

Edit: I also have 60 short call spreads on an oil etf that went up alot today. So I'm bearish on oil short-term, bullish long-term

I agree. I think it's definitely a good idea to invest in oil right now. Will the price go much lower? CLR has to be the best bet as far as value. Financials look solid. I may take a stab at it next week.

valuehog

Quote from: HawgWild on November 28, 2014, 12:08:42 pm

Been adding some AXAS, CHK, GST, SD, AND WRES.

A CHK insider bought 500,000 shares at $23+ in early November.

WRES and GST had some insider buys from their CEO's on the big dip last Friday.

HawgWild

I added a little SD myself today. Kinda reminds me of my Lucent buy several years back but I hope not. I won't be adding more. Too old to roll the dice on individual stocks.

BENTON PIGGEE

Jim Cramer predicted Gilead's new Hep C treatment/cure, Harvoni, will be the most profitable medication in history.

trough

bought some WRES last week...been rising this week

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Quote from: BENTON PIGGEE on December 06, 2014, 08:45:07 pm
Jim Cramer predicted Gilead's new Hep C treatment/cure, Harvoni, will be the most profitable medication in history.

I talked to a few doctors in my hospital, they are very positive on this treatment and are all in.  I know I will be buying.

HawgWild

I was surprised at the number of Hep C positive folks there are out there. Might be a great investment but there are already other treatments that work. I'm interested to see what this one offers that the others don't.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Quote from: HawgWild on December 19, 2014, 07:38:24 am
I was surprised at the number of Hep C positive folks there are out there. Might be a great investment but there are already other treatments that work. I'm interested to see what this one offers that the others don't.

It seems like every patient I admit has a history of Hep C

HawgWild

Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on December 19, 2014, 09:59:07 am
It seems like every patient I admit has a history of Hep C

You're in the San Francisco area, right? My father got it from a blood transfusion he had during surgery in the 1980s. We've learned a lot about blood donations since then.

BENTON PIGGEE

I bought BIDU and SAVE today. Airlines will do well with cheap jet fuel. LUV hasn't gone up yet- might be worth checking out.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Quote from: HawgWild on December 19, 2014, 03:47:05 pm
You're in the San Francisco area, right? My father got it from a blood transfusion he had during surgery in the 1980s. We've learned a lot about blood donations since then.

Yep, it's unfortunate how much hep C happened with transfusions. 

BENTON PIGGEE

Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on December 20, 2014, 02:57:24 am
Yep, it's unfortunate how much hep C happened with transfusions.

Yes, second only to having sex with Tommy Lee.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

userpick

Apparently Cramer didn't know much about ABBV hep C meds that just got approved by the FDA. Is Gild a buy now? Down 13% today.

BENTON PIGGEE

Quote from: userpick on December 22, 2014, 10:20:06 am
Apparently Cramer didn't know much about ABBV hep C meds that just got approved by the FDA. Is Gild a buy now? Down 13% today.

I hate ABBV. They screwed me on Shire too. I think I will sell GILD when it gets back to 105 or so, so I don't want any more of it now. I will probably trade the biotech etf XBI instead of individual biotechs. I'm sick of surprises like this. Ironically, GILD's drug is better and will probably make more $$ over time, but I'll let someone else worry about that.

userpick

Quote from: BENTON PIGGEE on December 22, 2014, 10:04:08 pm
I hate ABBV. They screwed me on Shire too. I think I will sell GILD when it gets back to 105 or so, so I don't want any more of it now. I will probably trade the biotech etf XBI instead of individual biotechs. I'm sick of surprises like this. Ironically, GILD's drug is better and will probably make more $$ over time, but I'll let someone else worry about that.

I actually bought a little of GILD today. Id love for it to get back to 105 so I can sell for a quick 15%. I'm worried about price erosion though from GILD. Analysts are predicting ABBV to have about 30% of the market share. You're right though, individual biotechs are so competitive and very unpredictable. Gilead is strong financially though so im not giving up on it.

Cresthog

When does Tesco hit its bottom? I feel like that ship can be righted if they shake up the leadership over there.

Wal Mart and Costco aren't jumping back into Europe anytime soon after their earlier disasters.

pheine78

Quote from: aristotle on November 24, 2014, 10:02:15 am
Anybody else?

I was thinking about buying Euro with the recent downturn.  I live in Italy and the dollar is a good money to be making here right now.  I have absolutely zero experience in currency trading, however, and I am a bit weary about it.  Would you place your bets on the Euro falling further?
Nolan for defensive coordinator!

aristotle

Quote from: pheine78 on January 30, 2015, 05:05:20 pm
I was thinking about buying Euro with the recent downturn.  I live in Italy and the dollar is a good money to be making here right now.  I have absolutely zero experience in currency trading, however, and I am a bit weary about it.  Would you place your bets on the Euro falling further?

Yeah, I'm selling Euro rallies unless something fundamentally changes, like the FED changing its tone on raising interest rates this year. As long as that is the consensus, the trend should continue to the down side. It is the clear divergence in monetary policy in the fx markets right now. Plus the Greek and possible Spain fractures should weigh on the Euro one would think.

I went short after the Draghi announcement and rode 1.1530 down to 1.1160 in just a couple of business days. I'm flat now, but looking to get short in the 1.14-1.15 region again.

Boardon Hamsay

I popped on OPK (Opko) back in December on the news they made a licensing deal with Pfizer and had a lot of insider buying. Bought at $8.25 and sold at $14.30. Looks like it's gonna come down a bit now but should pop up again around their 3/2 earnings report.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Boardon Hamsay

Also, anyone keeping an eye on DIS?  Right now it's just off a 52 week high at 104.17 but if you can catch it on a dip around $95-$100, I think it's a solid buy. With ESPN driving things and the new Star Wars franchise due out later this year, I think it gets to $125-$130 before the year is over.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

BENTON PIGGEE

Quote from: Scarlett Johansson's Liberally and Amply Slathered Frito Pie on February 16, 2015, 10:43:50 am
Also, anyone keeping an eye on DIS?  Right now it's just off a 52 week high at 104.17 but if you can catch it on a dip around $95-$100, I think it's a solid buy. With ESPN driving things and the new Star Wars franchise due out later this year, I think it gets to $125-$130 before the year is over.

DIS is a good stock to buy and hold.

Cresthog

What do you guys think about Energy SPDRs across the board?

I think we can go a bit lower but I think if you buy XLE and other solid companies, you can make out similar to those that bought the big banks back in 2009.

Cresthog

Anyone else going to jump on the Apple train?

Kicking myself for not doing it last year but they are going to be doing big things the next 5 years.

Old Tusk

Buying stuff that is out of favor is usually an excellent strategy.
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

userpick

I bought FB at $75 a couple weeks back. It's already at 80 and I think it will continue to rise. DIS has a lot of potential and Apple is only going to keep going up. I think there's some good opportunity in a lot of places right now.

Cresthog

Quote from: userpick on February 21, 2015, 12:47:53 am
I bought FB at $75 a couple weeks back. It's already at 80 and I think it will continue to rise. DIS has a lot of potential and Apple is only going to keep going up. I think there's some good opportunity in a lot of places right now.

Imagine owning FB at 20 when it IPOd.

Damnit.

userpick

Quote from: Cresthog on February 21, 2015, 09:30:13 am
Imagine owning FB at 20 when it IPOd.

Damnit.

True. But I think 75 will be considered cheap in a year or so.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: hawgbawb on October 18, 2014, 07:54:05 am
This market is up over 200% since 2009, and we are experiencing the 4th longest bull market since 1928, without even a 10% correction since 2011.

Thank God for Obama.  The gift that just keeps on giving.

HotlantaHog

Quote from: Old Tusk on February 20, 2015, 07:07:12 pm
Buying stuff that is out of favor is usually an excellent strategy.

Agree 100% with this. If you are trying to outperform the market, this is more important key to success.

aristotle

Quote from: aristotle on January 31, 2015, 11:13:49 am
Yeah, I'm selling Euro rallies unless something fundamentally changes, like the FED changing its tone on raising interest rates this year. As long as that is the consensus, the trend should continue to the down side. It is the clear divergence in monetary policy in the fx markets right now. Plus the Greek and possible Spain fractures should weigh on the Euro one would think.

I went short after the Draghi announcement and rode 1.1530 down to 1.1160 in just a couple of business days. I'm flat now, but looking to get short in the 1.14-1.15 region again.

This trade has been in place all year, and still is. If the FED kicks the can on raising rates in December, there could be another entry level to short EUR/USD at that 1.1500 resistance level. If they do indeed raise rates, watch for the shockwave in EM currencies.

HotlantaHog

Quote from: hawgbawb on October 22, 2014, 11:14:53 am
I agree with you for the most part, BB. I needed the cash anyway for business start-up and was a little too vested in stocks.  The high valuations in September just made it easier to justify.

I agree for the most part too that timing doesn't work out. But that said, when valuations are at extremes, you are very likely to do better by paying attention -- that is buying in 2009 when Bank of America was selling at $2.50 a share and the S&P 500 index was at a price earnings ratio under 11 ... selling or trimming back in 2000 when tech stocks exploded ...

You can basically believe that timing doesn't work for the most part and still use some basic risk management to adjust your holdings when valuations are at extremes. For what it is worth, I don't think we are anywhere near extremes right now.

HawgWild

Quote from: HawgWild on December 01, 2014, 05:42:59 pm
I added a little SD myself today. Kinda reminds me of my Lucent buy several years back but I hope not. I won't be adding more. Too old to roll the dice on individual stocks.

Well, my worst fears were realized on SD. Not sure about ALU either since being taken over by Nokia. I didn't make the trade and now I'm sitting, waiting to see if this goes to zero. Anybody holding any ALU shares?

HawgWild

Quote from: HawgWild on March 22, 2016, 10:24:33 am
Well, my worst fears were realized on SD. Not sure about ALU either since being taken over by Nokia. I didn't make the trade and now I'm sitting, waiting to see if this goes to zero. Anybody holding any ALU shares?

Well, it actually got worse. SD filed for bankruptcy today.