Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spring football thoughts - defense

Started by Biggus Piggus, April 15, 2016, 09:18:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

One wonders about consistency of direction on the defensive line. Last year, tackles bulked up bigtime. This year, everybody has a goal of playing at a significantly smaller weight. Makes me want to go all Lewis Black, wondering how this series of events unfolded. Nobody simply decided, "Hey, I'm going to put on 30 or 40 pounds and see how it affects my quickness."

First -- Somebody decided they liked the Darius Philon model (lighter, quicker) inside. This led to the move of Jeremiah Ledbetter to DT and the move back to NG of Taiwan Johnson, who is on a weight-losing campaign after his ineffective bulk-up. Bijohn Jackson will get into the action as soon as he loses about 20 pounds.

DL will get more interesting when freshmen Briston Guidry and Austin Capps arrive.

Defensive end situation is interesting. Tevin Beanum is away for personal reasons, leaving an opening for Sosa Agim to make accelerated progress. Karl Roesler is playing too, but Agim is on the fast track. Arkansas has not seen a defensive lineman like him in a long time. With Deatrich Wise playing on a high level (without freshman mistakes, which Agim might make for some time), Arkansas has the beginnings of an outside pass rush. The Hogs do not have a sheer speed rusher, but Wise and Agim are going to be very hard to handle. Behind them is a significant falloff, which is likely to persist.

Appears to me that Arkansas will make its progress this season by 1) having two elite ends, and 2) significantly improving the pressure from inside.

By all accounts, the whole linebacker group has upped its game. Randy Ramsey has proven that he is ready to play at either outside LB position. Going from no depth to some is a big upgrade. Every position has a usable two-deep. Lots of freshmen are coming - De'Jon Harris, Giovanni LaFrance, Alexy Jean-Baptiste, Dee Walker. One hopes the Hogs can afford to redshirt some, but the LB corps still needs to prove it has some big-play punch.

The defensive secondary won't be whole until CB D.J. Dean is recovered from turf toe. The current CB group depends on Jared Collins, Henre' Toliver, Kevin Richardson and Ryan Pulley. Joining this group will be Augusta, Ga., native and one-year juco player Britto Tutt, a good find. Hard to evaluate till August-September.

Santos Ramirez and De'Andre Coley are fighting it out for the strong safety spot, while Josh Liddell does not seem to have a lot behind him (Reid Miller, Nate Dalton) at free safety. Two signees here, freshman Deon Edwards from Florida, frosh Micahh Smith from Texas.

The main source of hope for the secondary is new position coach Paul Rhoads, who has made a huge impression on everyone in a short time. He is teaching technique in a completely different way, which has to be good.

One big change I want to see is more emphasis on speed. The secondary bulked up last season, too, and suffered for it. That plus the Dean injury, crippling. Can we get the secondary to the point where the players are not coached to be scared of their own shadows? Giving tons of cushion with no pass rush against high % passing offenses = brutal.

Somebody seems to have gotten a clue about how much the SEC emphasizes speed. Talent is improving, but the training and preparation have to move fast.
[CENSORED]!

greenie

Thanks, Biggus.  Great commentary and info.
Hope you do the same type thing for the offense. 

Hawgar The Horrible

It's not difficult to make a case for improvement on defense. Not after last seasons performance.

"Don't suck again" should suffice.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

bphi11ips

Arkansas's defense will be much better in 2016 than it was in 2015. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

yodcw2003

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 15, 2016, 09:18:11 am

Santos Ramirez and De'Andre Coley are fighting it out for the strong safety spot,

Santos Ramirez reminds me so much of Anthony Leon that I wonder how'd he do at the LB spot? He would have to add weight, but he's already pretty big/tall. His combo of size/speed seems like a good fit at LB vs spread type offenses.

Although, I admit, I know nothing about the technical aspects of football, so I could be way off here.

Pulled(PP)pork

QuoteGiovanni LaFrance, Alexy Jean-Baptiste

It's the French Revolution!!!!

PP

Bacon_Bitz

Good analysis. Hogs have been consistently good at run D under Smith but I think everybody realizes it's time to put more thought into second and long and third down defense now at the expense of run stuffing a little.

Paul

When have we had a freshman as talented as Sosa?  Never

Cure

Quote from: Paul on April 15, 2016, 11:40:03 am
Fairchild, didn't have the accolades coming in, but he was solid.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

A little before my time, but maybe Billy Ray Smith Jr.?
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

greenie

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on April 15, 2016, 12:02:02 pm

He was a very good one, and if I remember correctly, he started several games as a freshman at nose.  Billy Ray also had a nasty streak (nothing compared to his dad, however), and although its very early, indications are that Sosa may have a little nastiness as well.

Hog Fan from Camden

Exit Pursued by a Boar

I get the sense the game changed right under CBB's nose. It seems he was gearing up for old-style Bama and LSU offenses, when various spreads started hitting him. For me, the eye-opener last year was Mahomes.  When you have someone in that offense who can read defenses quickly and run out of what would ordinarily be a disaster of a play, you're in trouble without a defense that is quick both mentally and physically. We still need the bulk to stop Fournette or whoever is a feature back in LSU's offense, but against a spread, whether it is predominantly run or pass, we have to have speed, quickness, endurance, and an ability to read what the offense is doing.

EFBAB

presidenthog

I listened to a guy on BO'S show who said his 2 main concerns of this team are RB, and when it's 3rd and 12 and someone has to hit someone who will it be? he said wise maybe but this team lacks a true speed rusher. we will continue to struggle against the pass if we can't get a great pass rush. last year we went huge on the D line and we saw how that effected our pass rush. we might need to get a small quick speed rusher and use him situationally on 3rd downs to get more pressure.

ChicoHog

Smith is the same age as I am and I remember his freshman year (and mine) and he played a lot.  I think he was a DE just about the whole time.  I don't remember him playing inside.  And he was not very big.  I bet he played around 240 pounds. 

Biggus Piggus

The defensive lines Arkansas had in the mid to late 1970s were great.
[CENSORED]!

presidenthog

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on April 15, 2016, 11:38:29 am
Good analysis. Hogs have been consistently good at run D under Smith but I think everybody realizes it's time to put more thought into second and long and third down defense now at the expense of run stuffing a little.

don't say that there is as contingent on this board that will say you are second guessing the coaches and you are wrong.

radar

Was it Nutt that bulked up the line, and it turned out to be a disaster?

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: radar on April 16, 2016, 01:46:09 am
Was it It was Nutt that bulked up the line ________________________, and it turned out to be a disaster!

FIFY
His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

gmarv

that could be a good comparsion,jr. was really hard to block because of his quickness.

rricha

Billy Ray started at nose and tackle his freshman year tackle his soph year and DE in his junior and senior year.

HogWildBison2011

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on April 15, 2016, 11:29:17 am

It's the French Revolution!!!!

PP
Ha don't forget "De'jon" Harris. We could have the most unique named starting lineup in the SEC at LB in a few years.

Athog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 15, 2016, 09:18:11 am
One wonders about consistency of direction on the defensive line. Last year, tackles bulked up bigtime. This year, everybody has a goal of playing at a significantly smaller weight. Makes me want to go all Lewis Black, wondering how this series of events unfolded. Nobody simply decided, "Hey, I'm going to put on 30 or 40 pounds and see how it affects my quickness."

First -- Somebody decided they liked the Darius Philon model (lighter, quicker) inside. This led to the move of Jeremiah Ledbetter to DT and the move back to NG of Taiwan Johnson, who is on a weight-losing campaign after his ineffective bulk-up. Bijohn Jackson will get into the action as soon as he loses about 20 pounds.

DL will get more interesting when freshmen Briston Guidry and Austin Capps arrive.

Defensive end situation is interesting. Tevin Beanum is away for personal reasons, leaving an opening for Sosa Agim to make accelerated progress. Karl Roesler is playing too, but Agim is on the fast track. Arkansas has not seen a defensive lineman like him in a long time. With Deatrich Wise playing on a high level (without freshman mistakes, which Agim might make for some time), Arkansas has the beginnings of an outside pass rush. The Hogs do not have a sheer speed rusher, but Wise and Agim are going to be very hard to handle. Behind them is a significant falloff, which is likely to persist.

Appears to me that Arkansas will make its progress this season by 1) having two elite ends, and 2) significantly improving the pressure from inside.

By all accounts, the whole linebacker group has upped its game. Randy Ramsey has proven that he is ready to play at either outside LB position. Going from no depth to some is a big upgrade. Every position has a usable two-deep. Lots of freshmen are coming - De'Jon Harris, Giovanni LaFrance, Alexy Jean-Baptiste, Dee Walker. One hopes the Hogs can afford to redshirt some, but the LB corps still needs to prove it has some big-play punch.

The defensive secondary won't be whole until CB D.J. Dean is recovered from turf toe. The current CB group depends on Jared Collins, Henre' Toliver, Kevin Richardson and Ryan Pulley. Joining this group will be Augusta, Ga., native and one-year juco player Britto Tutt, a good find. Hard to evaluate till August-September.

Santos Ramirez and De'Andre Coley are fighting it out for the strong safety spot, while Josh Liddell does not seem to have a lot behind him (Reid Miller, Nate Dalton) at free safety. Two signees here, freshman Deon Edwards from Florida, frosh Micahh Smith from Texas.

The main source of hope for the secondary is new position coach Paul Rhoads, who has made a huge impression on everyone in a short time. He is teaching technique in a completely different way, which has to be good.

One big change I want to see is more emphasis on speed. The secondary bulked up last season, too, and suffered for it. That plus the Dean injury, crippling. Can we get the secondary to the point where the players are not coached to be scared of their own shadows? Giving tons of cushion with no pass rush against high % passing offenses = brutal.

Somebody seems to have gotten a clue about how much the SEC emphasizes speed. Talent is improving, but the training and preparation have to move fast.

Good analysis! Thanks.

RebelW

Going to be a boring spring game from a RB point of view. No RWIII, no KW, no DW, no TJH.. Yuck. Looking forward to watching the OL develop

bythelake

The good thing is enjoy the passing game which is pretty dang good based on the scrimmages that I have watched.  Woo pig.  Hope it translates into the SEC.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

SEC days are coming, but I can't remember when.
July/August?

That's when we'll see the predictions.

Us last or Mississippi St.?

I would think Mississippi St., but I bet they predict we're next to last.
His response to me:

bennyl08

Quote from: presidenthog on April 15, 2016, 11:57:01 pm
I listened to a guy on BO'S show who said his 2 main concerns of this team are RB, and when it's 3rd and 12 and someone has to hit someone who will it be? he said wise maybe but this team lacks a true speed rusher. we will continue to struggle against the pass if we can't get a great pass rush. last year we went huge on the D line and we saw how that effected our pass rush. we might need to get a small quick speed rusher and use him situationally on 3rd downs to get more pressure.

I think people are underestimating what Wise can do as a pass rusher. He had 8 sacks last season and started as many games as JWill (0) according to official records. However, he collected 8 sacks in limited playing time. If he can become a complete player and stop giving the coaches reason to not start him, I say watch out. I think he might be one of those players though that becomes better in the NFL than in college.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

wachhog

I
Quote from: exit followed by a boar on April 15, 2016, 06:46:08 pm
I get the sense the game changed right under CBB's nose. It seems he was gearing up for old-style Bama and LSU offenses, when various spreads started hitting him. For me, the eye-opener last year was Mahomes.  When you have someone in that offense who can read defenses quickly and run out of what would ordinarily be a disaster of a play, you're in trouble without a defense that is quick both mentally and physically. We still need the bulk to stop Fournette or whoever is a feature back in LSU's offense, but against a spread, whether it is predominantly run or pass, we have to have speed, quickness, endurance, and an ability to read what the offense is doing.

EFBAB
It had changed before he got here. He just didn't know it. Wasn't up to speed, you might say.

SamBuckhart

I'm trying to remember Billy Ray Smith freshman year. He came with a lot of fanfare also. I was here, just don't remember. Wooo Pig! Many years in the NFL with San Diego. Great talent like his dad.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

bennyl08

DL, or any position? Cause I'd have to say Dmac and arguably Collins in recent memory.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

JIHawg

Our defense was fast enough in 2014, right?  I guess Bielema got slow to catch on in 2015.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 16, 2016, 09:06:01 pm
DL, or any position? Cause I'd have to say Dmac and arguably Collins in recent memory.

I'd already suggested Billy Ray Smith Jr. ,a guy a little before my time, but I can remember people talking about.

See above posts for people's discussion.
His response to me:

ChicoHog

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on April 16, 2016, 08:12:24 pm
SEC days are coming, but I can't remember when.
July/August?

That's when we'll see the predictions.

Us last or Mississippi St.?

I would think Mississippi St., but I bet they predict we're next to last.
SEC days are in mid-July.  I bet Miss st gets picked last and us second to last.  I say the consensus will be Bama, Mississippi, LSU, A&M, Auburn, Ark, Miss st. 

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: ChicoHog on April 16, 2016, 09:52:51 pm
SEC days are in mid-July.  I bet Miss st gets picked last and us second to last.  I say the consensus will be Bama, Mississippi, LSU, A&M, Auburn, Ark, Miss st. 

Thanks.
I'll say their prediction is this:
LSU, Bama, Ole Miss, Auburn, aTm, Good Guys, Mississippi St.
His response to me:

songofthesword

I honestly believe Herbert cost us 2 games last year.  Dan we were strong but it took us half a year to play into shape

Plus we had a lot of bone injuries that's a tale tell sign your too [CENSORED] fat lol

Foot
Foot
Knee
Foot
Etc

AFWarrior83

I'm glad Ramsay is back on the team. I think he has the potential to be a stud.
Hogville member since 2005.

Herbert I would guess was doing what the HC wanted him to do.  As our HC gets farther up and into his learning curve, I believe we will get better.  I suspect the D will be much better this year just because it was so bad last year that improvement will be easier to come by.

Right now I worry about QBs 2 through 4.  I worry that now that the 1 has been chosen, that the 1 will ease off and the 2 through 4 guys will be nearly forgotten.  When we need a second QB in the season, we'll hear the same crap we've heard for 3 years now, that Allen gives us the best opportunity to win even though he has a broken arm, the flu and hasn't eaten any solid food in a week. 

I worry that the HC may not be willing to put in the time to get EVERYONE READY on this team. 

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: 12247 on April 17, 2016, 12:46:06 pm
Herbert I would guess was doing what the HC wanted him to do.  As our HC gets farther up and into his learning curve, I believe we will get better.  I suspect the D will be much better this year just because it was so bad last year that improvement will be easier to come by.

Right now I worry about QBs 2 through 4.  I worry that now that the 1 has been chosen, that the 1 will ease off and the 2 through 4 guys will be nearly forgotten.  When we need a second QB in the season, we'll hear the same crap we've heard for 3 years now, that Allen gives us the best opportunity to win even though he has a broken arm, the flu and hasn't eaten any solid food in a week. 

I worry that the HC may not be willing to put in the time to get EVERYONE READY on this team.

That's a lot of worrying. I hope you are coping better with the things in life you can control.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.