Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CBB's Offense/Defense Swap Experiments

Started by bomberman23, April 13, 2016, 11:03:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bomberman23

We have read of several "swaps" this spring. Hjalte Froholdt to OL, Jamario Bell to TE, Josh Allen to DL, etc. I am just curious about how successful CBB has been with these experiments during his tenure here? How many players have made the switch and become better at that position? On the surface, it seems as if these experiments are often unsuccessful. As it pertains to the recent switches along the OL and at the TE position, I am beginning to question the quality of our depth. What do you think ?

Pork Twain

Quote from: bomberman23 on April 13, 2016, 11:03:26 am
We have read of several "swaps" this spring. Hjalte Froholdt to OL, Jamario Bell to TE, Josh Allen to DL, etc. I am just curious about how successful CBB has been with these experiments during his tenure here? How many players have made the switch and become better at that position? On the surface, it seems as if these experiments are often unsuccessful. As it pertains to the recent switches along the OL and at the TE position, I am beginning to question the quality of our depth. What do you think ?
These threads always appear passive-aggressive to me.

On the surface, how do these moves seem unsuccessful?  Examples?  How would these players have performed had they stayed at their old positions?  AJ, Duwop, JJ Watt TE to DE
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Mike_e

Miami used to make a living off of turning D linemen into O linemen so I'm not worried about HF moving.

D ends are usually plenty athletic to move over to the O also so that may work out as well.

JA I don't know about but he could be fine in a short yardage package.

All in all it's spring, relax.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

rzrbackramsfan

Aj derby, Owen Daniels, wasn't jj watt an incoming tight end? Damon Mitchell was more productive at wr than qb.  I know there's more. 

factchecker

April 13, 2016, 11:22:49 am #4 Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 11:48:27 am by factchecker
We have the example of Derby from QB to TE but in terms of moving from one side of the ball to the other-

Kendrick Jackson was a scholarship linebacker who played fullback as a true freshman last year.  He did pretty good but is being moved back to help with linebacker depth.

Mitchell Loewen was a walk-on who Coach Bielema moved from tight end to defensive end--- he later earned a scholarship at that position:

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

VirginiaHog

I say very successful.

Vantage 8 dude

I believe that whether or not various moves such as these are successful will depend on the kids themselves. You can't make a blanket judgement call on whether or not IN GENERAL such changes work out. In some cases the definitely will; in others, perhaps not so much. Obviously the whole idea is to attempt to put each player in the best position for him to succeed.

nchogg

Coach B does what is best for the team and the player. You know the other coaches have their input. And it could also be what is best for the players future.

31to6

At Arkansas we have to develop players. That means that we will take a kid with athletic potential who may not be "natural" at a given position. Over 2-3 years of development it often becomes clear that they need to get on the field but their body (or the depth chart) has changed since they were a HS senior.

I'd say it's a sign of creativity and an attempt to get the best players and put them on the field where they can help the team the most.

We need to get used to it.

sickboy

You're beginning to question the quality of our depth? Are you confusing Arkansas with Alabama? Because "quality depth" isn't a term you hear thrown around a lot at Arkansas as a whole. Unit to unit from year to year, sure. We're replacing three starting offensive linemen though and, unfortunately, Pittman didn't really bring it on the recruiting trail the last year and half. So we have some holes to fill. On the defensive line we have Beanum, Wise, Hodge, Ledbetter, Winston, Jackson, Johnson and Sosa to rotate this year. That's two deep right there. Getting Froholdt and Bell on the offensive side of the ball seems like a no brainer in spring practice, at this point.

But that's all it is. It's spring practice. It means very little.

FANONTHEHILL

In regard to the original post, this happens at every school and the best examples of it happening here weren't even under this coaching staff.  Jason Peters was a DL that we moved to 300 LB TE and everyone thought that was crazy, he makes the Buffao Bills roster as a defensive lineman, then gets moved to LT and becomes an All-Pro.  Also, a Mitch Petrus played DL, FB, and OG here before winning a Super Bowl with the Giants.  Players get moved around all the time and at every level.

BTW, add another changes: DE Jake Hall is now an offensive tackle and Josh Allen isn't on the DL this spring, he's not with the team.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015