Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It appears to be time to get comfortable with Austin.

Started by JIHawg, April 11, 2016, 09:20:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Mike Irwin and I told you five months ago Austin was going to be the quarterback.  Not sure why anyone doubted either one of us.  If any OTR historians want to look up that quote from both us us feel free to do so.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: OTR on April 12, 2016, 02:40:23 pm
Mike Irwin and I told you five months ago Austin was going to be the quarterback.  Not sure why anyone doubted either one of us.  If any OTR historians want to look up that quote from both us us feel free to do so.

I'm confused. Do we research your history first or bow down at your magnificence?  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

KlubhouseKonnected

From the practical standpoint of me wanting the Razorbacks to win games I only care that the best player plays and at the moment that seems to be young Allen.

From an entertainment standpoint however I would probably get a lot of amusement out of Peavy being named the starter.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Potosihog

Quote from: VirginiaHog on April 12, 2016, 11:39:48 am
This. We are already getting seperation. Austin is well ahead of Rafe. But the 2 are distancing themselves from the rest. Rafe is a great #2 option. I hope he gets playing time if we can pull some leads.

One thing is pretty certain at this point with CBB.  He doesn't play the backup unless there is a 3-4 touchdown lead going into the 4th quarter.  If he does play the back up at the very end of the game it will be 3 hand offs in a row.  It is frustrating to me that we waste opportunities to get our back up QB quality snaps and experience.  Of course, as soon as he puts the back up in too soon and we lose a game because of it we will all whine to the bitter end, me included :-)

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on April 12, 2016, 09:55:16 am
Personally, I didn't think there was anyway Town transfers from USC if he isn't told he's likely to start. From everything I've read and heard however, that doesn't seem likely at this point.

I'm pretty sure that Town was informed of the situation here when he visited and that there was a clear understanding that, despite his pedigree, he wasn't just walking into a job and would have to earn the position, if he could do that. Town obviously felt he had a good chance to compete for the job or he would have gone elsewhere. He's just getting started after having run the scout team all last season. We'll know in time how competently he can compete for the job. In the meantime, the staff has already remarked about him having a really good arm. There's just a lot more to it than that at Arkansas. Fortunately for us, we have a lot of good talent competing for playing time.
Go Hogs Go!

BB said in one news report that he let Town know that he wouldn't be handed the QB job.  BB stated that there was some worry about why Town left USC and that the concern was did he leave because he didn't win the job right away.  That is my memory.

As to a real competition, I don't believe so.  There hasn't been enough time to actually do that and when you are giving any particular player Waaaaaay more snaps than another at any position in the Spring practices, it hints that you may have made up your mind.  There is even some thought processes that you might consider using the Spring to really, really evaluate players as to their true talent and likelihood of helping the team.  Since we do not see practice, we cannot really know who gets the snaps in practice.  But in the Spring scrimmage, its Allen 18 throws, Town 1, and the other 2 somewhere in between.  Point is you could have Tom Brady on this team and if he got just one throw to someone elses 18, the dude getting 18 should show his stuff better.

I still wish the players would be broken up into 2 or more teams and practiced at different times so each player at every position could actually get to show what he has.  The 2 hour practice limit just doesn't allow enough time to really evaluate that many players. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: 12247 on April 12, 2016, 07:25:16 pm
BB said in one news report that he let Town know that he wouldn't be handed the QB job.  BB stated that there was some worry about why Town left USC and that the concern was did he leave because he didn't win the job right away.  That is my memory.

As to a real competition, I don't believe so.  There hasn't been enough time to actually do that and when you are giving any particular player Waaaaaay more snaps than another at any position in the Spring practices, it hints that you may have made up your mind.  There is even some thought processes that you might consider using the Spring to really, really evaluate players as to their true talent and likelihood of helping the team.  Since we do not see practice, we cannot really know who gets the snaps in practice.  But in the Spring scrimmage, its Allen 18 throws, Town 1, and the other 2 somewhere in between.  Point is you could have Tom Brady on this team and if he got just one throw to someone elses 18, the dude getting 18 should show his stuff better.

I still wish the players would be broken up into 2 or more teams and practiced at different times so each player at every position could actually get to show what he has.  The 2 hour practice limit just doesn't allow enough time to really evaluate that many players. 

When you haven't grasped "Hoganese" to the point needed to run the team, it doesn't matter how lively an arm you may have. There is more to running the team as a QB than having a lively arm.

That said, the coaches have talked many times about the strides that Peavey has made and how Ty Storey seems to be a "gamer" in game situations and how intelligent he is about the offense. I think there is certainly competition going on but I never expected Town to be a factor in that this early anyway, despite the fact that some on here thought that his pedigree meant that he might come in and just climb over everyone else.

This is playing out pretty much as I expected. The staff all but said that it was Austin's job to lose based on his experience and time in the program. That is how it should be. Those behind him need to demonstrate and EARN more time under Center through improved performance.

What many of us forget is that what we hear from the staff in interviews is carefully disseminated so as to send a public message to the players in that position (while also conveying it in practice) that you need to exert more effort and production if you intend to overcome who is perceived to be the #1 at your slot. Just imagine if they were honest and forthcoming about it? There would probably be less competition and fewer kids would get better because they would have less hope of competing for a starting position or at least in the rotation. That isn't what you want at all. You want everyone to be focused, competing and exerting themselves at the highest level that is possible for them or else they never get better. They aren't going to tell us the truth of the matter anymore than they are the kids at this point anyway.

Still, there is competition at the QB slot and Peavey, despite his numbers with the 2's last weekend, appears to be gaining ground. Storey too, is improving. That's good news for us. Town is at least a year away and he knows that.
Go Hogs Go!

PorkSoda

"That said, the coaches have talked many times about the strides that Peavey has made and how Ty Storey seems to be a "gamer" in game situations and how intelligent he is about the offense. I think there is certainly competition going on but I never expected Town to be a factor in that this early anyway, despite the fact that some on here thought that his pedigree meant that he might come in and just climb over everyone else."

Mallett did that no problem, and many hopped the Town would be the same, but apparently Town is no Mallett.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 12, 2016, 08:29:00 pm
"That said, the coaches have talked many times about the strides that Peavey has made and how Ty Storey seems to be a "gamer" in game situations and how intelligent he is about the offense. I think there is certainly competition going on but I never expected Town to be a factor in that this early anyway, despite the fact that some on here thought that his pedigree meant that he might come in and just climb over everyone else."

Mallett did that no problem, and many hopped the Town would be the same, but apparently Town is no Mallett.

In all fairness, we don't know that yet. Maybe he never will be. Maybe he will be. Having run the scout teams last year he is at least 6 months behind Storey in accumulated knowledge of our system and details. I wouldn't worry about Town, he will come along in time.

Mallett had the benefit of being #2 his first year out of the chute and getting some actual playing time. Town is behind that. Not the same scenario at all.
Go Hogs Go!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: LZH on April 13, 2016, 03:00:42 am
Everyone knows that Austin is going to be the starter because of his daddy......

And his daddy should have been name the head coach instead of Smiley. Everyone knew that except Jeffie. [my one attempt at humor for the day]  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Pork Twain

Everyone knows that Austin is going to be the starter because of his daddy......
This type of trolling might get some of the newbs
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

LZH

DiamondHogFan

You are soooo far from the truth.  Brandon was the starter because of his daddy.  Austin is going to be the starter because he is Brandon's brother.

Get your facts straight LZH.

RME

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on April 13, 2016, 10:22:48 am
You are soooo far from the truth.  Brandon was the starter because of his daddy.  Austin is going to be the starter because he is Brandon's brother.

It's just a...family tradition

Steef

CareBear

I really hope that Austin Allen hits the ground running if he indeed is the starter this Fall. His brother got 3 yrs to figure things out without the threat of being benched. I think that has been CBBs biggest snafu thus far at Arkansas. It was detrimental to BA, the team, & fans IMO. Sure BA had 6 or 7 games in his Senior season but he was below average for the majority of the time he was here. Like I have mentioned on here before I am Fayetteville High Alumni & always pull for Purple Dogs. Having said that if Austin Allen doesn't look the part, struggles in big moments, etc..CBB needs to show the fanbase, QB recruits, & more importantly the team that he is willing to try another guy. I'm looking forward to this year regardless.  :) :razorback: ::hornsdown::

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: CareBear on April 13, 2016, 11:48:18 am
I really hope that Austin Allen hits the ground running if he indeed is the starter this Fall. His brother got 3 yrs to figure things out without the threat of being benched. I think that has been CBBs biggest snafu thus far at Arkansas. It was detrimental to BA, the team, & fans IMO. Sure BA had 6 or 7 games in his Senior season but he was below average for the majority of the time he was here. Like I have mentioned on here before I am Fayetteville High Alumni & always pull for Purple Dogs. Having said that if Austin Allen doesn't look the part, struggles in big moments, etc..CBB needs to show the fanbase, QB recruits, & more importantly the team that he is willing to try another guy. I'm looking forward to this year regardless.  :) :razorback: ::hornsdown::

Not sure you are being entirely fair. I'd say he was below average 1/3 of his time. I think he was fairly average until it started clicking last year at which point he was well above average.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: CareBear on April 13, 2016, 11:48:18 am
Having said that if Austin Allen doesn't look the part, struggles in big moments, etc..CBB needs to show the fanbase, QB recruits, & more importantly the team that he is willing to try another guy.

CBB needs to show the fanbase one thing: WINS.

How he gets them is his business, not ours. 
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

SemperHawg

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on April 13, 2016, 11:58:28 am
Not sure you are being entirely fair. I'd say he was below average 1/3 of his time. I think he was fairly average until it started clicking last year at which point he was well above average.
Year one for BA below average, statistically the worst QB in the conference.  I pointed out earlier in the thread, the unfair comparison between the two will be due to Austin having a markedly better all around supporting cast his first year as a starter than Brandon did.

Year two, statistically and wins wise Brandon was right around average. Still struggled in some big spots and had some more freak type of injury stuff.

Year three, namely the back half of conference play he was arguably the best QB in the conference.

What we hope for with Austin is that there is not a one year learning curve to be competitive like Brandon had. Again, supporting cast has a lot to do with that, Austin will have pieces around him to make up for some of his lack of experience, pieces that Brandon did not have the luxury of when being thrown to the wolves his first year as a starter.

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 12, 2016, 02:44:43 pm
I'm confused. Do we research your history first or bow down at your magnificence?  ;)

Either or.

LZH

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on April 13, 2016, 10:22:48 am

Nyjmsu

ChitownHawg

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

TheRazorback500

I'm comfy with AA now, but a few three-and-outs against La Tech and I might squirm a little. Good to see RP coming on.

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

daBoar

Isn't Town just a redshirt freshman; one who did not start early on the hill like Storey. That said, Mallett was pretty darned good and a tough comparison (a 3rd Round Draft choice is really good).  Besides, he played a season at UM, sat out a year, and then started at Arkansas in his third year. 

Both Town and Storey could be right on track with Mallet next season. Too soon to know.  Also, as AA is solidly #1 and there's no reason to rush the others, especially since it appears there's a solid #2 also ahead of Town, Town just needs to sit back and learn this year.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: daBoar on April 13, 2016, 05:18:56 pm
Isn't Town just a redshirt freshman; one who did not start early on the hill like Storey. That said, Mallett was pretty darned good and a tough comparison (a 3rd Round Draft choice is really good).  Besides, he played a season at UM, sat out a year, and then started at Arkansas in his third year. 

Both Town and Storey could be right on track with Mallet next season. Too soon to know.  Also, as AA is solidly #1 and there's no reason to rush the others, especially since it appears there's a solid #2 also ahead of Town, Town just needs to sit back and learn this year.

Yep Mallett and Town is an apples and oranges comparison.

PorkSoda

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 13, 2016, 06:33:19 pm
Yep Mallett and Town is an apples and oranges comparison.
the point was that they both were top 10 QB's out of high school, both transferred here and had to sit out a year.  Mallett was good enough to automatically jump to the #1 spot.

Many hoped town would do the same thing.  he has not.  not trying to bash him, just that it is what it is.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

gawntrail

I've been as harsh a critic of BA as anyone.  And, the kid had a half or so of a season that shut anybody up. 

I think, it's more of a reflection on Chaney, having that talent for 2+ yrs and not being able to get BA going....

Where, in less than 1 yr Enos got the same kid on track, achieving success, nurtured the leader in him, shut all us naysayers up cold, AND, put BA in situations to be absolutely lights out and do his thing.

As a pretty harsh critic, I think Austin is in the best of hands... And, if we can keep Enos here..... Town will be absolutely nails when he earns the snaps.  We might be witnessing the beginning of an era.  Really good QB coaches attract the really good QBs.  I don't know about QB-U, but, SC was TB-U for a long time with a lot less talented position coaches and OCs.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on April 12, 2016, 09:53:45 am
When Usain Bolt wins a 100m dash by 10m, was there are competition?

I'm pretty sure the silver and bronze winners would say "yes", and that it was intense.

Perhaps from the stands it didn't look like it, but that's not much of a perspective of the competition.

My point wasn't that the players weren't trying.  It's that Bielema already had his guy.  The job wasn't Austin's to win; it was Austin's to lose.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

PorkRinds

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on April 14, 2016, 09:17:59 am
My point wasn't that the players weren't trying.  It's that Bielema already had his guy.  The job wasn't Austin's to win; it was Austin's to lose.

Says the guy that has no clue if that's actually true or not.  Did the coaches know they had a guy with 3 years in the system going up against guys with a year or so? Sure.  Did they know AA beat out RP last season for the 2nd string job?  Obviously.  But to pretend that if Austin didn't put in the work or show improvement they'd let him go anyway just because he's CBB's "guy" is unfounded.  Any coach worth their salt would do the same thing CBB has done in this situation.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 14, 2016, 09:20:53 am
Says the guy that has no clue if that's actually true or not.  Did the coaches know they had a guy with 3 years in the system going up against guys with a year or so? Sure.  Did they know AA beat out RP last season for the 2nd string job?  Obviously.  But to pretend that if Austin didn't put in the work or show improvement they'd let him go anyway just because he's CBB's "guy" is unfounded.  Any coach worth their salt would do the same thing CBB has done in this situation.

I think you're reading in Austin-hate from me, there.

I'm not saying Austin didn't put in the work or show improvement.  I'm saying he entered the spring practice as the putative #1.  IMO, he had the top job going in, and thus didn't need to win it.  All he needed to do was not lose it.

Bielema and Enos knew what they had going in. 

"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Hawgar The Horrible

I don't care who starts. Just make sure there are 2, legitimate, SEC caliber QB's ready to go for a change. Somebody might get their head taken off before the O-line comes together this fall.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

hoglady

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 12, 2016, 01:57:17 pm
Oh I don't think they will, but it might clear up a few questions about Town.

Maybe he was simply running from a jaded girlfriend?  ;)

More likely running from that train wreck Sarkisian.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on April 14, 2016, 09:32:47 am
I think you're reading in Austin-hate from me, there.

I'm not saying Austin didn't put in the work or show improvement.  I'm saying he entered the spring practice as the putative #1.  IMO, he had the top job going in, and thus didn't need to win it.  All he needed to do was not lose it.

Bielema and Enos knew what they had going in.

I don't really take issue with this take on things, but IMO that's different from saying "there was no competition".

Another way of saying it perhaps could be "somebody is going to have to take the job away from Austin", and I don't have a problem with that either.  But it doesn't mean that someone COULDN'T, or wouldn't be able to do that.

Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

hoglady

Mallett sat a year and was able to learn Petrino's offense pretty quickly but he also had a year under his belt at Michigan.
Towne has had a bigger adjustment to his surroundings than Mallett had, plus he didn't gain any experience from USC.
If Towne is still having problems learning the offense after this year then I'd say he's for sure no Mallett.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

ricepig

Quote from: hoglady on April 14, 2016, 09:43:23 am
More likely running from that train wreck Sarkisian.

You know when you walk into the coach's office and he's drunk that you're not in a good situation.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on April 14, 2016, 10:07:48 am
You know when you walk into the coach's office and he's drunk that you're not in a good situation.

I don't know why so many people think QB's have to play right away or transfer.  There's a lot to learn and experience before 95% are ready to take a snap in a major conference.  It takes two or three years, all while the athlete is getting bigger, stronger, more confident, and more mature.

Ricky Town looks really good from the little I've seen of him.  He'll have his day at Arkansas.  Right now is Austin Allen's time to shine.

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Cinco de Hogo

So ya'll be saying that when we lost to Bama by 52 points two years in a row it was competive and intense?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on April 14, 2016, 12:40:35 pm
So ya'll be saying that when we lost to Bama by 52 points two years in a row it was competive and intense?

Who is ya'll?

hawgtime

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 12, 2016, 11:24:36 am
It's a competition.  The players all think it is.  The coaches think it is. While Allen may be separating himself, it's still competition.  You just want to be right.

I haven't seen any scrimmages. What is the take on all of the QBs.  good, bad, pro's con's?

thanks,

hawgtime

Quote from: gawntrail on April 13, 2016, 07:12:21 pm
I've been as harsh a critic of BA as anyone.  And, the kid had a half or so of a season that shut anybody up. 

I think, it's more of a reflection on Chaney, having that talent for 2+ yrs and not being able to get BA going....

Where, in less than 1 yr Enos got the same kid on track, achieving success, nurtured the leader in him, shut all us naysayers up cold, AND, put BA in situations to be absolutely lights out and do his thing.

As a pretty harsh critic, I think Austin is in the best of hands... And, if we can keep Enos here..... Town will be absolutely nails when he earns the snaps.  We might be witnessing the beginning of an era.  Really good QB coaches attract the really good QBs.  I don't know about QB-U, but, SC was TB-U for a long time with a lot less talented position coaches and OCs.

You had me at Enos.  I think he is an excellent coach and has had pretty good results with BA. 

ChitownHawg

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

SooiecidetillNuttgone

His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

bigdaddyhawg

ChitownHawg

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 14, 2016, 05:09:56 pm
Who are you calling sir with a capital "S"?  ;)

Sorry, misspelled the word, evidently it wasn't a big hit...without the capital "S";)