Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CBB has already taken us somewhere we have never been in the SEC

Started by Bacon_Bitz, April 10, 2016, 08:35:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bacon_Bitz

Since Auburn kicked our butts to start the 2014 season, the Hogs haven't lost a game by more than 13 points in 25 games and counting

The last time we went this long being that consistently competitive? 35 games from '87 Miami to '90 TCU without a loss of more than 14 points

3kgthog

A loss is a loss is a loss. It doesn't matter how you accumulate them.

hog.goblin

Quote from: 3kgthog on April 10, 2016, 09:05:06 pm

so the 1 point loss in O/T to Ms St last year is equal to the 53 point loss to USC?

no thanks

I would rather win, and I don't want to have a goal of losing by X points, but how you lose matters

jdlew

Really...Wow man that's heavy!!!

LRrazorback

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on April 10, 2016, 08:35:14 pm
Since Auburn kicked our butts to start the 2014 season, the Hogs haven't lost a game by more than 13 points in 25 games and counting

The last time we went this long being that consistently competitive? 35 games from '87 Miami to '90 TCU without a loss of more than 14 points

I'll preface my devils advocate quote by saying, I wasn't in favor of the CBB hire, however I like the direction of the team and of course I hope CBB succeeds here in making us relevant again.

My devils advocate comment- I think it was Bill Parcells who said,"losing by 10 or more points means you have a personnel problem, losing by 10 or fewer means you have a coaching problem."  Hopefully we don't have a coaching problem.

HoggieStyle

Welcome to Razorback football. Measuring success one 13-point-or-less loss at a time.

onebadrubi

When you walked in to what CBB did at Arkansas, this is saying something. If you don't think so, just go asked LSU if they liked getting blanked by the hogs

hawg IQ

BB continues to bring Arkansas along...also learning curve about SEC football.  I have a sneaky little suspicion hog might be better than projected this fall. Reasons being better defense, also offense will perform better than expected.  Coaches now know what is needed to win in SEC.
  Enos will have good game plans ready...Anderson will improve offensive line. the problem might be depth. Injuries could change everything.. anxious for fall.
go hogs go !

Pig in the Pokey

idiot statement, man, and not true at all. To win you must first be competitive.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: LRrazorback on April 10, 2016, 09:20:30 pm
I'll preface my devils advocate quote by saying, I wasn't in favor of the CBB hire, however I like the direction of the team and of course I hope CBB succeeds here in making us relevant again.

My devils advocate comment- I think it was Bill Parcells who said,"losing by 10 or more points means you have a personnel problem, losing by 10 or fewer means you have a coaching problem."  Hopefully we don't have a coaching problem.

While I get what your saying...good coaching can take a "10+ point loss personnel team" and get the most out of them in which they lose by 1 instead of 14. Yes,  W's are all that matter, but numbers don't always tell the whole story.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Pig in the Pokey

maybe relative to a smaller conference or the old NFL but it is hogwash to say that in the SEC West.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

LZH

I think it was Bill Parcells who said,"losing by 10 or more points means you have a personnel problem, losing by 10 or fewer means you have a coaching problem."

That's good...

ricepig

Yep, and he's slowly replacing those problems......

jkstock04

Prob has a lot to do with our style of play and slowing the game down.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: jkstock04 on April 10, 2016, 09:53:29 pm
Prob has a lot to do with our style of play and slowing the game down.

Maybe but we got whooped plenty good the first year CBB was here before he had s chance to start building things his way

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: HoggieStyle on April 10, 2016, 09:25:42 pm
Welcome to Razorback football. Measuring success one 13-point-or-less loss at a time.

Cutesy comment. You want to go back to regularly having 50+ hung on us?

HOGINTENNESSEE

This is his most postive post ever

factchecker

I do think the reduction of blowout losses is a small sign of improvement.  However, I am more excited about the fact that we were able to perform well in clutch moments and win close games in the latter part of last season.... especially after our disastrous start of bad losses and injuries to key players. 

The 4OT vs. Auburn and #4and25 were big moments for this team last season.  Don't forget the fact that we were able to win 3 sec games on the road last season as well. 

Here are the videos from the aforementioned big moments:

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Gonzo

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on April 10, 2016, 09:59:33 pm
Cutesy comment. You want to go back to regularly having 50+ hung on us?

Kinda curious when you think that timeframe may have been?  I like the job BB is doing and hope he has great success on the hill, but his teams have given up 50 or more 4 times, and 40 or more 8 times, in 3 seasons. His predecessor, to whom I presume you are referring, gave up 50 or more 3 times, and 40 or more 5 times, in 4 seasons. BB's defenses - 25.66 pts/game, predecessor - 25.33 pts/game (improved in pts/game each season). Reality often doesn't mesh with the popular myth.

Go Hogs!

JIHawg

Great point OP, but it does bring the Negative Nancys out of the woodwork.

Vantage 8 dude

Did you think of that all by yourself? Gosh, that's brilliant!!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HoggieStyle on April 10, 2016, 09:25:42 pm
Welcome to Hogville. Measuring success one troll at a time.

TomBigBeeHog

I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

lumphog

RazorbackToTheFuture

Quote from: Gonzo on April 10, 2016, 10:21:32 pm
Kinda curious when you think that timeframe may have been?  I like the job BB is doing and hope he has great success on the hill, but his teams have given up 50 or more 4 times, and 40 or more 8 times, in 3 seasons. His predecessor, to whom I presume you are referring, gave up 50 or more 3 times, and 40 or more 5 times, in 4 seasons. BB's defenses - 25.66 pts/game, predecessor - 25.33 pts/game (improved in pts/game each season). Reality often doesn't mesh with the popular myth.

Go Hogs!

Slappy the Clown wasn't here for 3 seasons...

Gonzo

Quote from: hog13hog on April 11, 2016, 12:44:48 am
Slappy the Clown wasn't here for 3 seasons...

Few people would consider the stopgap to really be the predecessor. For the most part, everyone knows who everyone is talking about.

Go Hogs!

Bacon_Bitz

Go Hogs!

Hanging 50 on us without us keeping up. I was mainly thinking about CBB's first season and Smiley. Petting was great but couldn't keep up with the big dogs at all. Nutt was always good for an awful blowout or two every year.

ChitownHawg

Go Hogs!

Let's be a little fairer to our current team and our coaches. Those huge losses you are referring to were against ranked teams. Here are the ranking of those teams:

That was against a team which was not mentally strong. They crumbled at the first sight of adversity.

Now here are the big scoring games the next two years which shows our team was improving on offense:

45-21 Auburn ranked #6
45-32 Georigia #10

The only 45+ game we lost last year was a 51-50 vs MSU. This was after two monumental SEC road vicitories against ranked teams.

Yes I would say we are improving and it is more factual than you give it credit for.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

a0ashle

I am just waiting for this guy to show up and say "A win is a win is a win..." when people are upset if we don't perform as well as expected against G5 school. It never happens. Maybe he is too busy hanging out wherever the "realists" go instead of setting pessimists straight.

choppedporkextrasauce

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: a0ashle on April 11, 2016, 09:14:23 am
I am just waiting for this guy to show up and say "A win is a win is a win..." when people are upset if we don't perform as well as expected against G5 school. It never happens. Maybe he is too busy hanging out wherever the "realists" go instead of setting pessimists straight.
Well good luck on that one. If you've followed this guy (I suppose at least) you'll know that we could win a NC and he'd still find fault with something. Perpetually unhappy/dissatisfied with something and everything. Sad, sad, sad...........

UAfanatic

If you're measuring progress.. you have to know if your incrementally getting better..

and its, well, by increments, are we moving closer to wins with our losses..

And I'm sure even the loss is a loss guys get that.. but like to say they don't

Hoggish1

Thanks for making a great point!

Hogarusa

Seems like an odd stat to know the details of.  But hey, good job Hogs
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: a0ashle on April 11, 2016, 09:14:23 am
+1.

Losing to Toledo = Losing to Texas Tech = Losing to Alabama

Beating UTEP = Beating Tennessee = Beating LSU

It all makes sense except for the parts that don't make sense.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Torqued pork

We've came a long way since losing consecutive games by a combined score of 104-7 in '13.

Nobody looks forward to playing the Hogs now.

a0ashle

Quote from: Torqued pork on April 11, 2016, 02:54:14 pm
We've came a long way since losing consecutive games by a combined score of 104-7 in '13.

But those were just loses like all the others \s

atekido

Just like a win is a win is a win and it doesn't matter how? oh wait thats right it does matter, or so says the College Football playoff committee and pretty much everyone ever involved in competitive sports.

Hawgar The Horrible

I'll take your word for it considering your expertise on the subject.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Hollywood_HOGan45

I like the progression of our program but I would put the Georgia 2014 loss in the sh**stomping category. We were down. 38-6 before you could blink.

Sh**stompings were the norm under Nutt and against Alabama under Bobby P.

Seeing this program progress under CBB has been very enjoyable. I just hope we come out of the gate better this year than last.

Gonzo

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 11, 2016, 05:52:51 am
Let's be a little fairer to our current team and our coaches. Those huge losses you are referring to were against ranked teams. Here are the ranking of those teams:

That was against a team which was not mentally strong. They crumbled at the first sight of adversity.

Now here are the big scoring games the next two years which shows our team was improving on offense:

45-21 Auburn ranked #6
45-32 Georigia #10

The only 45+ game we lost last year was a 51-50 vs MSU. This was after two monumental SEC road vicitories against ranked teams.

Yes I would say we are improving and it is more factual than you give it credit for.

I did not say the Hogs are not improving. In fact I quite clearly said I like the job he's doing so far, and I hope he has a lot of success as the Hog HC, as I do for every Hog HC. My response was to a particular assertion that prior to his arrival it was a "regular" occurrence that the Hogs surrendered 50+ pts, and I provided the numbers to refute such a claim. The results are what they are, no more, no less. Apparently though, that doesn't mesh well with the mindset of many that BB is performing at an unprecedented level in UA football.

Go Hogs!

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: Gonzo on April 11, 2016, 06:25:26 pm
I did not say the Hogs are not improving. In fact I quite clearly said I like the job he's doing so far, and I hope he has a lot of success as the Hog HC, as I do for every Hog HC. My response was to a particular assertion that prior to his arrival it was a "regular" occurrence that the Hogs surrendered 50+ pts, and I provided the numbers to refute such a claim. The results are what they are, no more, no less. Apparently though, that doesn't mesh well with the mindset of many that BB is performing at an unprecedented level in UA football.

Go Hogs!

Losing is always bad but losing 52-51 is better than losing 52-0.

razorbackkid

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on April 11, 2016, 06:56:06 pm
Losing is always bad but losing 52-51 is better than losing 52-0.
Losing by a large margin makes me numb and leaves me wondering.

Losing by less than a score is gut wrenching and makes me physically ill.

But I'd much rather know that "but for" any certain play, we could have won.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: Gonzo on April 11, 2016, 06:25:26 pm

Go Hogs!
Let's just take away the number "50". Even in Petrino's best year we got embarrassed a couple of times, when it was blatantly obvious we were outmatched. The fact that we haven't had to suffer through that is good for the overall health of the program and specifically recruiting. It's a lot easier to sell kids on where the program is headed when the teams we play don't look light years ahead of us on the field.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Gonzo

Never ceases to amaze me how often folks need to massage reality to make sure they feel better about it rather than just let it be and accept it for what it is. BB is doing well, I hope he does even better. I hope we see the Hogs back in the top 10, where they were not too long ago, soon.

Go Hogs!

LZH

Quote from: Torqued pork on April 11, 2016, 02:54:14 pm

Shut 'er down, run everyone off, and lock the doors....end of thread.