Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We lack experience but depth is reaching new heights under Bielema in year 4!

Started by luke hawg, April 10, 2016, 11:44:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

luke hawg

This is the first time when our available roster in the spring more than likely will make up the entirety of our 2 deep. The depth at QB, WR, and TE is elite. RB depth is a step below but probably the easiest spot for freshman to contribute early. Devwah Whaley and TJ Hammonds were huge gets. The Oline isn't where Beliema wants but at the end of the day some talented kids are going to be back ups (Merrick, Rogers, Malone, Ramirez, and Gipson).

Defensively is where Bielema has really upgraded our depth. The defensive line is simply loaded with bodies. It's possible Guidry can break into the 3 deep at the 3 technique otherwise this group is set. At linebacker Ellis, Greenlaw, Jackson, Ramsey, Eugene, Hackett will make up your starters. The young guys coming is will have a chance at the 2 deep but will have to beat out Josh Williams, Josh Harris, and Tyler Phillips for special teams spots first. The defensive back crew is also set with little chance of a freshman not redshirting. Tutt and Floyd if he returns will battle for 3rd spot at safety or corner depending on where K Richardson ends up.

At end of the day with the progress of the walk on program some scholarship players may find themselves outside the 105. I remember being shocked that Marks was left off the 105 last year. Arkansas leaving a defensive tackle on scholarship off the 105! Are you serious? There will be a couple more this year. There is actually competition to get on the bus  now. Good times are ahead.......woo pig!

TomBigBeeHog

I'm with you on the optimism train. Great post bro.  :razorback:
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

LZH

Well I don't do the rah-rah thing, but the gist of your post is right on. Apparently Big Boy hasn't signed a knock-your-socks-off class yet, but he has improved our depth, and upgraded the talent in that depth. This may be something we haven't seen since Hatfield was here.

Snizzzo

LAHOG1962

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: luke hawg on April 10, 2016, 11:44:21 am
This is the first time when our available roster in the spring more than likely will make up the entirety of our 2 deep. The depth at QB, WR, and TE is elite. RB depth is a step below but probably the easiest spot for freshman to contribute early. Devwah Whaley and TJ Hammonds were huge gets. The Oline isn't where Beliema wants but at the end of the day some talented kids are going to be back ups (Merrick, Rogers, Malone, Ramirez, and Gipson).

Defensively is where Bielema has really upgraded our depth. The defensive line is simply loaded with bodies. It's possible Guidry can break into the 3 deep at the 3 technique otherwise this group is set. At linebacker Ellis, Greenlaw, Jackson, Ramsey, Eugene, Hackett will make up your starters. The young guys coming is will have a chance at the 2 deep but will have to beat out Josh Williams, Josh Harris, and Tyler Phillips for special teams spots first. The defensive back crew is also set with little chance of a freshman not redshirting. Tutt and Floyd if he returns will battle for 3rd spot at safety or corner depending on where K Richardson ends up.

At end of the day with the progress of the walk on program some scholarship players may find themselves outside the 105. I remember being shocked that Marks was left off the 105 last year. Arkansas leaving a defensive tackle on scholarship off the 105! Are you serious? There will be a couple more this year. There is actually competition to get on the bus  now. Good times are ahead.......woo pig!

Love this, but I want to point out just how excited we were before last season, so we need to keep a certain perspective.

I think k CBB is upgrading the team, but it's not going to be a giant leap forward. But hopefully it will be by degrees.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

ricepig

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on April 10, 2016, 12:40:17 pm
Love this, but I want to pointnitt just how excited we were before last season, so we need to keep a certain perspective.

I think k CBB is upgrading the team, but it's not going to be a giant leap forward. But hopefully it will be by degrees.

I think that's the mantra of most fans, to be excited. Of course, we have our realists to come in here and tells us not to be excited. Now, by being excited doesn't mean one is predicting a NC, or a SEC championship, just looking forward to a good year.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: LZH on April 10, 2016, 11:59:03 am
Well I don't do the rah-rah thing, but the gist of your post is right on. Apparently Big Boy hasn't signed a knock-your-socks-off class yet, but he has improved our depth, and upgraded the talent in that depth. This may be something we haven't seen since Hatfield was here.
truth right there. "building it the right way" seems a lot more like what's actually going than it does propaganda at this point. They have recruited to needs extremely well, with the exception of the O-Line, which actually looks pretty good 2-deep. It is a position, like D-Line, where it helps to be 3-deep. Of course, that can be mitigated by a little good luck from the injury bug this year.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

secneahog

Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

luke hawg

I understand that the sunshine pumping needs to tempered at times so expectations don't become unreasonable. This being said my post is based an objectivity. The only excitement is related to achieving depth. The acknowledgement of lacking experience in crucial areas was my attempt to prevent wild predictions of a undefeated or 1 loss season. I'm hoping for a 7-9 win season which would continue are improvement.

ChitownHawg

So if I read between the lines you are saying we are a dark horse for the national title.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: LZH on April 10, 2016, 11:59:03 am

Now you did it. All of the Hatfield naysayers will point out his teams played against weak teams.

And I will point out as a student playing against a weak team didn't stop the party we were having in the stands as we rolled up the wins.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Vantage 8 dude

I think most everyone can agree that the depth situation is on the upswing. However, the REAL key to improved consistency and competition also centers around building QUALITY of depth. If you can solve the challenge of having your seconds and maybe even thirds come in with little drop off in performance and effectiveness then you've really unlocked the key to success. Note 'Bama does this better than virtually anyone.

LZH

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 10, 2016, 05:22:50 pm
Now you did it. All of the Hatfield naysayers will point out his teams played against weak teams.

I am always looking to start a good argument.

Bacon_Bitz

Like every team we will need some things to fall in place and some lucky breaks, but CBB is building a solid deep roster all around. I can reasonably expect the Hogs to be competitive week in and week out now.

We haven't lost a game by two touchdowns or more in 25 games now. I would like to know the last time we had a streak like that this long. Probably Hatfield years. Somebody please figure it out.

razorbackkid

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 10, 2016, 05:20:55 pm
So if I read between the lines you are saying we are a dark horse for the national title.  ;)
I'd bet my 1982 Ford Lawn Tractor on it.  It has a 10 hp motor on it and new belts.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on April 10, 2016, 07:42:28 pm
Like every team we will need some things to fall in place and some lucky breaks, but CBB is building a solid deep roster all around. I can reasonably expect the Hogs to be competitive week in and week out now.

We haven't lost a game by two touchdowns or more in 25 games now. I would like to know the last time we had a streak like that this long. Probably Hatfield years. Somebody please figure it out.

I looked it up. This is indeed the longest streak w/o a 14+ point loss since we went 35 games from '87 Miami to '90 TCU.

ChitownHawg

ChitownHawg

Quote from: razorbackkid on April 10, 2016, 08:11:15 pm
I'd bet my 1982 Ford Lawn Tractor on it.  It has a 10 hp motor on it and new belts.

Now that is a high stakes bet!  ;)

swineology

And right before we reach SEC euphoria the NFL will come calling and snatch Coach B from us.

This is Arkansas Football.

:'(

luke hawg

Quote from: swineology on April 10, 2016, 09:43:33 pm
And right before we reach SEC euphoria the NFL will come calling and snatch Coach B from us.

This is Arkansas Football.

:'(

This should be the pessimist argument. Will he give us enough time before trying out the NFL?

Pork Twain

I don't want a cookie or anything but this has been my stance from the beginning.  CBB builds depth through his red-shirt and walk-on programs and must have a low miss-rate on those he signs.  That is the only way you can build a team that can compete with the Bamas of the world, because we will never out-recruit them annually.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

luke hawg

Quote from: Pork Twain on April 11, 2016, 05:57:39 am
I don't want a cookie or anything but this has been my stance from the beginning.  CBB builds depth through his red-shirt and walk-on programs and must have a low miss-rate on those he signs.  That is the only way you can build a team that can compete with the Bamas of the world, because we will never out-recruit them annually.

Someone get this man a cookie

luke hawg

DeltaBoy

Over all we have improved the Roster and that always a good thing.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

threeNout

We can take a small step back offensively, and two steps forward defensively, and be better than last year.

Pork Twain

Quote from: luke hawg on April 11, 2016, 08:11:11 am
Someone get this man a cookie
Dammit, I said no cookie!  I have already gained too much weight since retirement.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Hardcore Hoggy