Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We've been spoiled

Started by RebelW, April 09, 2016, 10:29:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RebelW

I realized today that we have been spoiled at the OL group and RB's the last couple years. I believe our OL will get there. From what I could see today and what I have read I believe coach Anderson is a better teacher and holds the players more accountable which makes me feel that he will get them there by fall. At RB I was not pleased with any of them. kW was mediocre to me. There's not a doubt in my mind that Devuah Whaley will no doubt be the #1 or #2 guy and RW3 be the other. I might even say TJ Hammonds could possibly play but I'm still sticking to him being RS for now. AA is the man and believe he will be as good or better than big brother by mid season! Our defense is going to be very salty! Now if our Offense can keep atleast 3/4 of what we had last year we will be hard to beat. Just giving y'all what my evaluation was today.. Oh btw. Our WR group is unreal, Curious to see how they play our young TE's because Gragg, O'Grady and Cantrell are all to good to keep off the field. #WOOPIG

flagstaffhog

Go HOGS Go!

BadHog

"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

goodguytex

I wonder if in the beginning of the year we may be having to scramble and throw on the run quite a bit and throw short passes and long ones to our receivers to move the ball until our Online and RBs really come together.

I really think the Online and RBs are going to be great, but it might take a little time to get to where they need to be. We may have to rely more on our passing game, and a mobile QB to move the offense. At least to start.

Hoggish1

Anderson > Pittman.  He's teaching techniques and holding them accountable = better O-line than we've had in past three years.

We will see a lot of movement from these guys who will finally be nimble enough to get on the edge and down field to mow LBs and DBs down.

We are about to be more spoiled...

TUSKtimes

Quote from: BadHog on April 09, 2016, 11:06:34 pm
Alabama is spoiled

Fair enough. But Bama wanted Pittman, bad. Frankly, I would still love to see him at the Capstone instead of Cristobal. Some of these guys are just difference makers. As stellar as our front seven has been in the past, getting D-line coach Bo Davis back last season was eye opening and made a tremendous difference in our championship run. Our attitude and scheme were just different. Kirby Smart has, with one stroke, immediately changed the offensive culture in Athens.   

secneahog

I like the rbs.  KW will be a 1000 yard back.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

luke hawg

Cheney is going to change the offensive culture but I'm not sure for the better. He struggled to blend a power running game with his spread passing attack. Kirby settled for seconds. His first choice was Dan Enos. As far as our Oline is concerned this second version of Bielema big men will be better than the first. There are just some better athletes in this group which will really help the run game especially late in games. We weren't always dominate at the end of games as those bigger bodies fatigued. Ragnow, Froholdt, Wallace, and Jackson while lighter at this moment are all upgrades in athletic ability.

Seebs

The only time Razorback football fans can be considered spoiled is when some thought we could do better than Ken Hatfield and his success ratio.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

woodhog14

Quote from: RebelW on April 09, 2016, 10:29:49 pm
I realized today that we have been spoiled at the OL group and RB's the last couple years. I believe our OL will get there. From what I could see today and what I have read I believe coach Anderson is a better teacher and holds the players more accountable which makes me feel that he will get them there by fall. At RB I was not pleased with any of them. kW was mediocre to me. There's not a doubt in my mind that Devuah Whaley will no doubt be the #1 or #2 guy and RW3 be the other. I might even say TJ Hammonds could possibly play but I'm still sticking to him being RS for now. AA is the man and believe he will be as good or better than big brother by mid season! Our defense is going to be very salty! Now if our Offense can keep atleast 3/4 of what we had last year we will be hard to beat. Just giving y'all what my evaluation was today.. Oh btw. Our WR group is unreal, Curious to see how they play our young TE's because Gragg, O'Grady and Cantrell are all to good to keep off the field. #WOOPIG

Hammonds is not going to redshirt. He's a playmaker.

wholehog92

We're too thin at RB to redshirt any playmaker.  There seems to be defensive mechanism in place in hog fans to downgrade any coach that has moved on until time can heal the hurt feelings.  Pit was and is a very good Oline coach.  I'm hopeful coach Anderson will do well here, but the fact is we won't know until he coaches our guys for a season or two and we see results.  We had results from the previous guy and they were good.  He's moved on now like most coaches will do eventually.  I'm fine with thanking him for the good job he did here and wishing the new guy even better success.  I'm not hopeful the discussion will change, just pointing out the curiosity.  The fact that this tendency exists is proof we are not spoiled as a fan base.  In fact, we are emotionally damaged from the roller coaster that has been our history.

The o-line is the key to our success this year.  I'm confident in BB's ability to hire assistants above all else he does.  I'm actually pretty confident our O line will continue their excellent play without a hitch.  I'm hopeful coach Anderson will improve our depth on OL.  We are scary thin right now.  I'm not sure if it's a recruiting issue or a roster priority.  I'm leaning towards recruiting and coach Anderson is hitting the ground running there.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Hoggish1 on April 10, 2016, 08:18:13 am
Anderson > Pittman.  He's teaching techniques and holding them accountable = better O-line than we've had in past three years.

We will see a lot of movement from these guys who will finally be nimble enough to get on the edge and down field to mow LBs and DBs down.

We are about to be more spoiled...

You can't say that yet. Let's see him coach a season first. Or at least a game. 

LAHOG1962

Anderson inherits much more than Pittman did.

ricepig

Quote from: LAHOG1962 on April 10, 2016, 12:42:28 pm
Anderson inherits much more than Pittman did.

Pittman had Swanson, Cook, and two freshmen that would soon start, looks close to the same to me.

secneahog

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 10, 2016, 12:03:54 pm
You can't say that yet. Let's see him coach a season first. Or at least a game.

What we do know is, BB has said Anderson will make us more fundametally sound oline.  He is teaching complex fundamentals.

We have a intelligent young oline that is adapting to Anderson.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

LRAFBHog

Quote from: RebelW on April 09, 2016, 10:29:49 pm

Almost a quarter century, no banner to fly.  Almost a decade no victory against Saban.  Disgusting, and we are "SPOILED"!!  Are you serious???

AirWarren

With coach B's history of running backs and what his stable of backs have always accomplished, I find it utterly foolish for any hog fan to worry about running backs under his tenure.

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: LRAFBHog on April 10, 2016, 12:55:11 pm
Almost a quarter century, no banner to fly.  Almost a decade no victory against Saban.  Disgusting, and we are "SPOILED"!!  Are you serious???

I will keep asking til you answer... Why do you post like a histrionic 13 year old girl hopped up on a white chocolate latte with two shots on her way to cheer camp?

Seriously, Hogville is not your wailing wall. Grow a set.  :razorback:

PS: Anybody want a laugh, check out this guy's post history.

LAHOG1962

Quote from: ricepig on April 10, 2016, 12:50:07 pm
Pittman had Swanson, Cook, and two freshmen that would soon start, looks close to the same to me.
I don't think Anderson will be forced to start 2 true freshmen.

secneahog

Quote from: LAHOG1962 on April 10, 2016, 01:14:28 pm

If Ramirez is the real deal, we might have to start two juco kids. Malone and Ramirez.   

ricepig

Quote from: LAHOG1962 on April 10, 2016, 01:14:28 pm

Yeah, he might if they were as good as those two.

LRAFBHog

Quote from: Pigs in Zen on April 10, 2016, 01:11:44 pm
I will keep asking til you answer... Why do you post like a histrionic 13 year old girl hopped up on a white chocolate latte with two shots on her way to cheer camp?

Post history??  Get out of denial, how about some championships.  Get a logical thread, quit settling for Memphis.

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: LRAFBHog on April 10, 2016, 01:26:13 pm
Post history??  Get out of denial, how about some championships.  Get a logical thread, quit settling for Memphis.

Put the bottle down... It's not a good look.

PS: As a Former Airman, I hope to hell your handle is a joke.

hawkhawg

Quote from: Seebs on April 10, 2016, 09:35:53 am
The only time Razorback football fans can be considered spoiled is when some thought we could do better than Ken Hatfield and his success ratio.

Well we could have had jimmy Johnson.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: ricepig on April 10, 2016, 12:50:07 pm
[CENSORED]!

PorkRinds

Quote from: secneahog on April 10, 2016, 12:50:43 pm
What we do know is, BB has said Anderson will make us more fundametally sound oline.  He is teaching complex fundamentals.

We have a intelligent young oline that is adapting to Anderson.

What we also know is that coach b isn't expected to say anything else. Sam proved he was a pretty good coach and a good recruiter. Anderson has to prove it too. I don't care what coach b says.

bennyl08

Quote from: wholehog92 on April 10, 2016, 12:03:39 pm
We're too thin at RB to redshirt any playmaker.

I think you may be underestimating what we have. Let's look at the history of rb carries at arkansas going back to 2004 which is as far back as espn stats go.

2004: Howard, Birmingham, and Hillis formed a committee. You then had Poole, Dickerson, and fb Jackson getting a few sparse carries. 3 playmakers and 3 guys most don't remember getting sparse carries.
2005: McFadden and Felix were the primary 2 with Howard and Hillis getting 50+ as well. Dickerson and Poole combined for 40 relief snaps. 2 playmakers, 2 take the load off guys, and 2 sparse carriers.
2006: Dmac and Felix were the top 2. Smith, Hillis, and Jackson combined for 52 carries. Only 2 playmakers, one guy in smith to give a couple spells (he had 35 of the 52 carries), 2 very sparse carriers.
2007: Dmac and Felix. Hillis gets 62 carries and Smith 48. Barnett and Jackson combine for 30 carries. 2 primary, 2 relief, 2 very sparse.
2008: Smith the primary carrier. Johnson, Curtis, and Barnett combine for just 71. 1 playmaker and 3 relief guys.
2009: Committee with Green, Smith, Johnson with Wingo and Knile as relief guys, and Barnett, Stumon, and Curtis as sparse players.
2010: Davis and Green the two primary, Wingo providing relief, Johnson and Linton with a combined 10 carries.
2011: Committee of Johnson, Wingo, and Green. Curtis, Walker, and Small providing 41 carries.
2012: Johnson and Knile as the playmakers, Williams in relief, Wingo, Walker, and Holmes providing 16 carries combined.
2013: Collins and Williams the two playmakers, Small in relief, Korliss, Walker, and Holmes providing 29 carries.
2014: Collins and Williams the two playmakers, Walker and Korliss with 56 relief carries, Evans with 7 sparse carries
2015: Collins the playmaker, RW3 and Walker in relief, Evans and Day combining for 10 carries.

The most number of RB and FB players to touch a ball in the past 12 seasons is 6 and that is counting guys who got just 1 carry over a season. What do we have right now? Williams III, Walker, Evans, Day, Jones, Carter, Duwop, with Whaley and Hammonds and Johnson coming in. That is 5 veteran rb's, 2 veteran fullbacks, 2 more rookie rb's and a rookie fb coming in for a total of 10. 2  out of 3 years here under Bielema, only 5 backs have touched the ball the entire season. Even with 6 backs touching the ball, that leaves 4 of the 10 backs we will have to be entirely touchless.

Now, you said playmakers can't afford to redshirt, and not that no rb or fb can afford to redshirt. I would suppose that entirely depends on who you think can be a playmaker. IMO, Walker, Williams III, and Whaley are the best candidates to be playmakers with Duwop filling in as a Korliss/Smith/Holmes type of relief role. Hammond's skill set coming out of HS at least puts him in the same niche as Mitchell who I expect to only get 50 or so carries in the season. Entirely possible that Hammonds comes in and takes Duwop's place, but not exactly probable. Thus, since he is a true freshmen, barring major injuries, he becomes a prime candidate to be one of the 4-5 backs who never touch the ball this season and as a true freshmen, it is ideal for him to redshirt.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

wholehog92

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 10, 2016, 03:52:54 pm

Now, you said playmakers can't afford to redshirt, and not that no rb or fb can afford to redshirt. I would suppose that entirely depends on who you think can be a playmaker. IMO, Walker, Williams III, and Whaley are the best candidates to be playmakers with Duwop filling in as a Korliss/Smith/Holmes type of relief role. Hammond's skill set coming out of HS at least puts him in the same niche as Mitchell who I expect to only get 50 or so carries in the season. Entirely possible that Hammonds comes in and takes Duwop's place, but not exactly probable. Thus, since he is a true freshmen, barring major injuries, he becomes a prime candidate to be one of the 4-5 backs who never touch the ball this season and as a true freshmen, it is ideal for him to redshirt.

That's a reasonable and well thought out response.  I think you boiled it down in the last paragraph succinctly.  I'm not convinced we have playmakers.  I think we have technically sound backs that will reliably get us the yards the Oline gives them.  We don't have much in the way of game changers that I've seen on the field.  I love Kody Walker's work ethic and ability to reliably gain 3 to 4 yards.  Of the players you mentioned as potentials, I think Williams III and Whaley are the most likely.  I would love for Duwop to step into that role, but he's floundered when the spot line comes on to this point. 

If I were Hammonds, I would have actually worked more on my cover skills.  I think his skill set would be amazing on defense and returns.  He's so explosive, I think he could be an every down player at corner or free safety.  I think he will be a 2nd and short or 3rd and long player on offense, but will be a big threat in those situations.  He'll have to bulk up to be every down and may risk losing some explosiveness.  At RB, I'm just not sure what you gain with a RS.  It is one of the few positions on the field where freshmen routinely contribute in a big way.  We have lost our top two RBs going into last year, we have one returning from significant injury that was the third back last season and we have a converted fullback.  We're a power football team that grinds on RBs.  Last season we lost Williams, Day, and Williams off the top of my head.

I'm not saying it's impossible for him to redshirt, I just don't think it's very likely.  I don't even think it's a good plan for a premier program that features RBs to be planning on redshirting RBs.  Go out get talent, play talent.  Redshirt where your system relies on strength.  LOS and LBs and maybe a fullback or safety.  QB is a bit different, but is a good place to use the shirt.  We have an 85 roster limit, you have to be judicious about who you put on a redshirt.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

secneahog

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 10, 2016, 02:38:08 pm
What we also know is that coach b isn't expected to say anything else. Sam proved he was a pretty good coach and a good recruiter. Anderson has to prove it too. I don't care what coach b says.

Of course Anderson has to prove himself that's pretty obvious. 
Pretty sure Coach B has the Ssme thinking, bc its common sense.

Fact is our veteran oline, that was on the cover of the media guide struggled till the Tennessee game.

Maybe Anderson can correct the slow start area, and do it with intelligent, oline guys. 

I really like our depth at the oline spot and it's only gonna get better.

See where our oline stands in 3 years. 

go hogues

In b4 the prerequisite "We'll be fine" response.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

TNhawgfan

I don't think spoiled is accurate because our o line was way overrated last season. I was more disappointed with the o line than any other phase of the game last year.
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

RazorWhacker

Quote from: go hogues on April 10, 2016, 06:55:04 pm
In b4 the prerequisite "We'll be fine" response.

Just barely.

We'll be fine.

bennyl08

Quote from: wholehog92 on April 10, 2016, 05:02:45 pm
That's a reasonable and well thought out response.  I think you boiled it down in the last paragraph succinctly.  I'm not convinced we have playmakers.  I think we have technically sound backs that will reliably get us the yards the Oline gives them.  We don't have much in the way of game changers that I've seen on the field.  I love Kody Walker's work ethic and ability to reliably gain 3 to 4 yards.  Of the players you mentioned as potentials, I think Williams III and Whaley are the most likely.  I would love for Duwop to step into that role, but he's floundered when the spot line comes on to this point. 

If I were Hammonds, I would have actually worked more on my cover skills.  I think his skill set would be amazing on defense and returns.  He's so explosive, I think he could be an every down player at corner or free safety.  I think he will be a 2nd and short or 3rd and long player on offense, but will be a big threat in those situations.  He'll have to bulk up to be every down and may risk losing some explosiveness.  At RB, I'm just not sure what you gain with a RS.  It is one of the few positions on the field where freshmen routinely contribute in a big way.  We have lost our top two RBs going into last year, we have one returning from significant injury that was the third back last season and we have a converted fullback.  We're a power football team that grinds on RBs.  Last season we lost Williams, Day, and Williams off the top of my head.

I'm not saying it's impossible for him to redshirt, I just don't think it's very likely.  I don't even think it's a good plan for a premier program that features RBs to be planning on redshirting RBs.  Go out get talent, play talent.  Redshirt where your system relies on strength.  LOS and LBs and maybe a fullback or safety.  QB is a bit different, but is a good place to use the shirt.  We have an 85 roster limit, you have to be judicious about who you put on a redshirt.

None of these are definitive proof of either RW3 or Walker being a "playmaker". However, here are some clips and times that IMO, show the potential for both players to be 1000 yard backs in the SEC. Of course, Wingo has some highlight runs as well, but would also dance around. So, simply showing highlight runs does not prove anything. It does show the potential that is there. Collins has some runs for negative yards and even this season could dance around in the backfield too much. However, his mistakes were limited and his successes big.

At the 4:20 mark, watch RW3 run. Hits the hole fast and determined, trucks the defender for a couple extra yards. At 5:10, watch him score a determined td.

2:17, RW3 hits the hole, not running high, falls forward. Next play, he shows the wiggle to avoid defenders and speed that is at worst as good as Collins'. 6:55 you can see his speed and acceleration on display again. 7:53 as well.

Same game but without the music, though the quality is a bit lower. Times are different.

1:36, see Walker's agility at 255 pounds vs one of the best run stopping defenses in the SEC last season. Speed and power at 3.44.

Speed, agility, and power at 2.44 vs LSU defense no less.

Finally, here is every carry of Kody's in the spring game last year going up against our run defense which was quite stout. You see that he does not lose yards but is almost always good for 2-3 yards, but has the agility to side step, spin, absolutely punish whoever tries to tackle him, and has the speed to break a few runs for long gains. He isn't going to break as many long ones like Collins or other backs. However, Collins can't wear down defenders like Walker and wasn't as good at trucking for an extra 2 yards when he doesn't have the speed yet. Not saying Walker is superior or even on the same level as Collins. However, from what I've seen, he could be the starter for a lot of teams out there and is a playmaker. The only question mark I have with Walker is can he stay health? Also, notice some of his catches in the spring game as well as the clutch 2-point conversion catch with a cast on.

damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

Quote from: wholehog92 on April 10, 2016, 05:02:45 pm

I'd say it is highly dependent on the situation whether to redshirt or not. For example, Evans and Day, both redshirts. Bama redshirts about half of its running backs. The question becomes, will you have this player for 3 years, or longer? For TJ, I don't forsee him declaring early. Does he need to redshirt to perform at his position? I think a RS would help him, but is not necessary for him to do what we would ask of him. Can others do what we would ask of him? Yes, in my opinion. Will the others be an integral part of the team and scheme such that they will need to take breaks or it is imperative that somebody can fill in for them in a moment's notice? As of right now, I think that answer is no, as TJ will be the backup to Duwop who will himself be a relatively minor role. I think Hammonds would rank 5th on the RB depth chart next season behind RW3, Walker, Whaley, and Duwop in that order (with Whaley overtaking Walker after 3-6 games). Do you burn a redshirt on a guy you don't expect to declare early anyways, in order for him to spell the guy who is only a 5 carry per game player in the first place? Especially when you still have Evans and Day to carry the ball as well. There are 6 backs on our roster besides TJ. As I said, I think he would surpass Evans and Day, but what would TJ be doing out on the field? We are not lacking for special teams players either.

A good example recently would be the likes of Pettway and Stewart. I think the second those two stepped onto campus, they were more talented players than Hawkins and Hollister and probably better pure receivers than Duwop. However, with a plethora of guys like Hatcher, Morgan, Cornelius, Reed, and Henry and Sprinkle, it made sense for those two guys to redshirt. Even when Hatcher and then Cornelius went down, they stayed redshirted because there was depth. Hammonds is in a similar position to those two guys. He will likely already be better than some of the players above him; however, there is enough depth that he would be lucky to see a snap each game.

There is no way in heck we should redshirt Whaley; however, unless he shows to be completely incapable of learning the offense. While Hammonds would be 5th on the depth chart IMO, Whaley would almost instantly move up to third, which by default sees a handful of carries each game. Nobody else on our roster can do what he can do. Further, there is a much stronger chance that Whaley is a 3 year only player.

LRAFBHog

Quote from: Pigs in Zen on April 10, 2016, 01:11:44 pm

W-A!!  You deserve another quarter century.  'Nuff said!!!!!

LRAFBHog

Quote from: Pigs in Zen on April 10, 2016, 01:36:53 pm
Put the bottle down... It's not a good look.

PS: As a Former Airman, I hope to hell your handle is a joke.

Apparently for you sir, being an Airman was no cure for ignorance nor stupidity!!