Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NCAA bans satellite camps effective immediately

Started by Scott Marshall, April 08, 2016, 12:14:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Marshall

April 08, 2016, 12:14:38 pm Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 12:47:19 pm by Scott Marshall
FYI the NCAA bans satellite camps effective immediately
http://sports.nwahomepage.com/cfb/story.asp?i=20160408132024316107408&ref=hea&tm=&src=

SpineHog

Until Michigan buys a satellite campus in Florida.

factchecker

https://twitter.com/InsidetheNCAA/status/718478592649392128

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-council-adopts-academic-integrity-proposal?sf23996624=1

QuoteThe Council approved a proposal applicable to the Football Bowl Subdivision that would require those schools to conduct camps and clinics at their school's facilities or at facilities regularly used for practice or competition. Additionally, FBS coaches and noncoaching staff members with responsibilities specific to football may be employed only at their school's camps or clinics. This rule change is effective immediately.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

Probably hurts us, we struggle to get kids to our summer camps.

colbs

Dang.  I was hoping they would allow them.  It would have helped Arkansas out.

PorkRinds

Yeah, I think it helps bigger SEC schools and hurts us.  That cowboys/hog camp at cowboy stadium would have been an epic recruiting tool. 

rhog1

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 08, 2016, 12:26:07 pm
Yeah, I think it helps bigger SEC schools and hurts us.  That cowboys/hog camp at cowboy stadium would have been an epic recruiting tool. 
Since we regularly use Jerryworld for competition, couldn't we still hold the camp with the Cowboys?

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

navyhog24

April 08, 2016, 12:30:01 pm #8 Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 12:40:43 pm by navyhog24
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/4/8/11393556/ncaa-satellite-camp-ban-rule-change

This doesn't take away from holding team practices at another location though like Michigan did at IMG Academy. Maybe the Hogs can hold practices at Jerryworld sometime.

navyhog24

Pigasaurus

Isn't this what CBB was trying to accomplish with his tweet?
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

colbs

Quote from: factchecker on April 08, 2016, 12:29:34 pm
https://twitter.com/DannyWest1/status/718489424380559366

Ass-backwards NCAA.

They should allow schools to pay not only for the parents to come on recruiting visits but also allow schools to pay for parents travel to games.  It doesn't even have to be all games, maybe a couple a year.  This would also help Arkansas in recruiting.

colbs

Quote from: pigasaurus on April 08, 2016, 12:41:48 pm
Isn't this what CBB was trying to accomplish with his tweet?
The way he talked he was hoping it passed.  He just didn't want it were other conferences could do the camps but not SEC schools.

BadHog

Harbaugh takes it to the extreme and now no one can play :o
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

younghog

GO HOGS

husker71

who wants their parents with them on their recruiting trips???    Have you seen the hostesses the school rolls out??   

Hoggish1

Quote from: SpineHog on April 08, 2016, 12:17:43 pm
Until Michigan buys a satellite campus in Florida.

Which will hasten the Satellite buying wars...

King Kong

Quote from: ricepig on April 08, 2016, 12:22:18 pm
Probably hurts us, we struggle to get kids to our summer camps.

This. Man this is actually a blow to us. CBB had some good things planned.

Sivad

In any event, Coach B was well prepared for the possibility and was ready to turn it in to a positive.

NaturalStateReb

For anyone who thinks the Big 10 has more stroke than the SEC, look no further.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Scott Marshall on April 08, 2016, 12:14:38 pm
FYI the NCAA bans satellite camps effective immediately
http://sports.nwahomepage.com/cfb/story.asp?i=20160408132024316107408&ref=hea&tm=&src=
It was ONLY a very short matter of time once we had the whole Harbaugh "Florida Lost Spring Break Weekend".

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: rlreev01 on April 08, 2016, 08:30:00 pm
If we can have a camp at a facility where we Regularly practice or complete, does that mean we can have a camp in LR or at Cowbody Stadium?
the way it reads, yes. Will the sec tell us 'dont you dare'? You betcha.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Sivad

Quote from: rlreev01 on April 08, 2016, 08:30:00 pm
If we can have a camp at a facility where we Regularly practice or complete, does that mean we can have a camp in LR or at Cowbody Stadium?
That seems to be the way it reads, but the NCAA will find a little known codicil (ala Dean Wormer) specifically prohibiting that if necessary.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Sivad on April 08, 2016, 11:17:51 pm
That seems to be the way it reads, but the NCAA will find a little known codicil (ala Dean Wormer) specifically prohibiting that if necessary.
or this could finally be the ball bouncing our way. Would be epic.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

East Clintwood

Could we have a camp at Jerryworld?

It does say:  " . . . would require those schools to conduct camps and clinics at their school's facilities or at facilities regularly used for practice or competition."

And we do regularly compete (every year) at Jerryworld.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

rlreev01

Quote from: East Clintwood on April 09, 2016, 02:17:01 am

It does say:  " . . . would require those schools to conduct camps and clinics at their school's facilities or at facilities regularly used for practice or competition."

Think about it. We could send the team down there for spring ball during spring break and call it a practice facility and then our game with TAMU could be our completion. Then we could be in line for a camp in the summer. Wonder it this is being considered.

Supermark101

Quote from: Sivad on April 08, 2016, 11:17:51 pm

I can't wait for Michigan's yearly game in Jacksonville or Orlando vs FIU or FAU

Doing Spring football over spring break and voluntary unvoluntary summer workouts are next. NCAA is about to get very strict on usage of student athletes time.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: husker71 on April 08, 2016, 01:06:06 pm
who wants their parents with them on their recruiting trips???    Have you seen the hostesses the school rolls out??   

The kids who are good students and want to go to college for the right reasons will most of the time want their parents to come with them.  Not the ones who want to be entertained, a one night stand and then go back home to talk about it.  Often times their heads are disconnected from their brain and they want college to be one big party and not interested in learning.  Those types can be nothing but trouble.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: navyhog24 on April 08, 2016, 12:30:01 pm
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/4/8/11393556/ncaa-satellite-camp-ban-rule-change

This doesn't take away from holding team practices at another location though like Michigan did at IMG Academy. Maybe the Hogs can hold practices at Jerryworld sometime.

Having another reason forcing players to have to travel just to work on their sport is even worse than the satellite camps idea.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Arthur pigby sellers.

Don't several B12 teams located outside of Texas hold camps in major metros in Texas?  Will this rule at least eliminate them?

hawgmasta

I agree that it would have probably helped Arkansas but I see the other sides as well. The B12 and Pac12 voted against it. I can only imagine they didn't want Saban holding camps in Houston or LA. I believe it was not only trying to stop the northern schools from trying to poach southern talent but it could allow an even bigger disparity between the heavy hitters and the middle to lower rung teams.

The Vanderbilts, Indiana's, Oregon St etc didn't want the schools with unlimited recruiting budgets to be able to have an even bigger edge.

Pig in the Pokey

After sleeping on this I think they just messed around and gave US a premade loophole for Dallas camps at COWBOYS Stadium! woo pig!

I celebrated 1st woopig
@Slackaveli

gawntrail

Quote from: factchecker on April 08, 2016, 12:18:58 pm
https://twitter.com/InsidetheNCAA/status/718478592649392128

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-council-adopts-academic-integrity-proposal?sf23996624=1

'The Council approved a proposal applicable to the Football Bowl Subdivision that would require those schools to conduct camps and clinics at their school's facilities or at facilities regularly used for practice or competition. Additionally, FBS coaches and noncoaching staff members with responsibilities specific to football may be employed only at their school's camps or clinics. This rule change is effective immediately.'

Seems to me that wording is deliberately vague.  After the first 'or', it does't specify 'who' the facilities belong to or use them.  Literal reading says regular use for practice 'or' competition.  Any lawyer worth 1/10 his/her salt can get anything to fit that definition/rule. 

Simple Definition of regularly
: at the same time every day, week, month, etc. : on a regular basis
: very often
: with the same amount of space between each thing.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/regularly

We can hold a camp at the Georgia Dome.  SEC championship game is regularly played there. That fits the definition.

We can hold a camp in SoCal at the RoseBowl.  Practice and competition are regularly held there. 

MuskogeeHogFan

April 09, 2016, 12:09:52 pm #34 Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 12:22:24 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: gawntrail on April 09, 2016, 12:03:28 pm
Seems to me that wording is deliberately vague.  Doesn't say 'who' the facilities belong to or use them.  Literal reading says regular use for practice 'or' competition.  Any lawyer worth 1/10 his/her salt can get anything to fit that definition/rule. 

We can hold a camp at the Georgia Dome.  SEC championship game is regularly played there. That fits the definition.

We can hold a camp in SoCal at the RoseBowl.  Practice and competition are regularly held there. 

You are right, they did (technically) leave a loophole there unless the actual rule is more specific than what is being reported. The question now would be, what is the definition of "regularly used for practice or competition" as it pertains to the schools with regard to this ruling? It might take out Cowboy stadium as a venue unless the Cotton Bowl and other college games played at this venue are an exception. But if that is the case, all it does is eliminate camps being held at High School and Preparatory facilities like Michigan just held at IMG. Technically it wouldn't preclude them from doing so at sites where bowl games or regular season college football games are played or maybe even at sites like Florida Atlantic, The University of the Pacific or Stephen F. Austin University, as examples, where college football practice and games regularly occur.

The Council approved a proposal applicable to the Football Bowl Subdivision that would require those schools to conduct camps and clinics at their school's facilities or at facilities regularly used for practice or competition. Additionally, FBS coaches and noncoaching staff members with responsibilities specific to football may be employed only at their school's camps or clinics. This rule change is effective immediately.

Go Hogs Go!

gawntrail

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 09, 2016, 12:09:52 pm
You are right, they did (technically) leave a loophole there unless the actual rule is more specific than what is being reported.

The Council approved a proposal applicable to the Football Bowl Subdivision that would require those schools to conduct camps and clinics at their school's facilities or at facilities regularly used for practice or competition. Additionally, FBS coaches and noncoaching staff members with responsibilities specific to football may be employed only at their school's camps or clinics. This rule change is effective immediately.

And, if the rule is tighter, or they tighten the rule up so it refers to your own practice or competition..... Then the word 'regular' becomes the issue.  Based on a literal reading of its definition we can schedule a Red/White Scrimmage (technically both practice and competition) wherever we want to conduct camps on an ongoing annual basis and fit the definition no matter how finely they want to tighten the rule. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: gawntrail on April 09, 2016, 12:21:34 pm
And, if the rule is tighter, or they tighten the rule up so it refers to your own practice or competition..... Then the word 'regular' becomes the issue.  Based on a literal reading of its definition we can schedule a Red/White Scrimmage (technically both practice and competition) wherever we want to conduct camps on an ongoing annual basis and fit the definition no matter how finely they want to tighten the rule. 

In our case, it would certainly allow camps to be conducted in Little Rock at WMS even if they tighten up the ruling. But it would limit everyone else to conducting camps on their campus unless they play regularly scheduled games at any other venue, along with their home field. Like Florida and Georgia being able to conduct camps in Jacksonville (the Cocktail Party game every year).

But if the ruling isn't tightened up it would still allow schools to conduct camps at any venue that schedules college football games at any level every year.

It would appear that if their intent was to limit schools to conducting camps on their own home fields it would have stated that specifically. But that isn't what was said. If that was their intent, the NCAA's lawyers need to be taken off retainer.
Go Hogs Go!

jackflash

never figured NCAA would approve this. The interesting thing will be how certain schools find away around this rule

gawntrail

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 09, 2016, 12:29:28 pm
In our case, it would certainly allow camps to be conducted in Little Rock at WMS even if they tighten up the ruling. But it would limit everyone else to conducting camps on their campus unless they play regularly scheduled games at any other venue, along with their home field. Like Florida and Georgia being able to conduct camps in Jacksonville (the Cocktail Party game every year).

But if the ruling isn't tightened up it would still allow schools to conduct camps at any venue that schedules college football games at any level every year.

It would appear that if their intent was to limit schools to conducting camps on their own home fields it would have stated that specifically. But that isn't what was said. If that was their intent, the NCAA's lawyers need to be taken off retainer.

Maybe this was lip service to a squeaky wheel.  Showing to have done something, regardless of how watered-down.  Yet, simpleton fans, like myself, see that it's really nothing with teeth....  Makes you wonder what the penalty is?....

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jackflash on April 09, 2016, 12:38:21 pm
never figured NCAA would approve this. The interesting thing will be how certain schools find away around this rule

I'm not certain that they have approved anything that really prohibits schools from holding camps anywhere they want with the exception of high schools. All depends on how the actual ruling reads as opposed to what is being reported.
Go Hogs Go!

LZH

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on April 09, 2016, 11:48:59 am
After sleeping on this I think they just messed around and gave US a premade loophole for Dallas camps at COWBOYS Stadium! woo pig!

I am totally ignorant when it comes to the rules for satellite camps, but from what I do understand, I think you are right.

Murr

No surprise on the voting; Southern schools protecting their recruiting grounds

Brett McMurphy ✔‎@McMurphyESPN
Source told @ESPN conferences that voted against satellite camps: ACC, Big 12, SEC, Pac-12, MWC, Sun Belt. In favor: B1G, AAC, C-USA, MAC

PORKULATOR

Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 08, 2016, 12:26:07 pm

Yep Bad for US for sure.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 09, 2016, 12:09:52 pm
You are right, they did (technically) leave a loophole there unless the actual rule is more specific than what is being reported. The question now would be, what is the definition of "regularly used for practice or competition" as it pertains to the schools with regard to this ruling? It might take out Cowboy stadium as a venue unless the Cotton Bowl and other college games played at this venue are an exception. But if that is the case, all it does is eliminate camps being held at High School and Preparatory facilities like Michigan just held at IMG. Technically it wouldn't preclude them from doing so at sites where bowl games or regular season college football games are played or maybe even at sites like Florida Atlantic, The University of the Pacific or Stephen F. Austin University, as examples, where college football practice and games regularly occur.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-council-adopts-academic-integrity-proposal?sf23996624=1y
The intent is clearly to limit schools to facilities the school would normally use. I would certainly think that Cowboy Stadium would qualify for us.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: East Clintwood on April 09, 2016, 02:17:01 am

Is it even clear that the facilities regularly used for practice or competition have to be so used by the particular team holding the camp?
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

gawntrail

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on April 11, 2016, 12:37:35 pm
Is it even clear that the facilities regularly used for practice or competition have to be so used by the particular team holding the camp?

Another option would be to hold these camps in a non-exclusive manner.  '2nd annual SEC camp' or '3rd annual Boot Camp sponsored by UofA & LSU in Shreveport, LA'. 

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on April 11, 2016, 12:37:35 pm

Yes, I think a careful reading reveals that it is limited to the school that regularly uses those facilities.

PorkRinds

Quote from: gawntrail on April 11, 2016, 01:06:54 pm
Another option would be to hold these camps in a non-exclusive manner.  '2nd annual SEC camp' or '3rd annual Boot Camp sponsored by UofA & LSU in Shreveport, LA'.

I'm going to bet LSU isn't going to pitch in on a camp with the hogs in their home state when we've got a recruiter from LA who has been putting serious in state pressure on them.  Just a hunch.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on April 11, 2016, 01:17:37 pm

Yes, I think a careful reading reveals that it is limited to the school that regularly uses those facilities.

I think that is the intent but would you agree that there is some ambiguity there? I have only read what is posted here FYI.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.