Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tom Murphy-WholeHog Sports: Mitchell singing new tune at RB

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, April 07, 2016, 06:37:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Good article on Damon Mitchell.

Mitchell made his presence felt Saturday in his first full-contact scrimmage as a full-time running back. He rushed for 51 yards on 9 carries, including a team-high 32-yard dash around left end that ended with a high-impact collision with safety Santos Ramirez.

Taller and more slender than other top tailbacks Walker, Williams, Denzel Evans and Juan Day, Mitchell casts a different profile with the ball under his arm, particularly in his single-digit No. 7 jersey.

"You know what, he has something a little bit different than the other guys," said Reggie Mitchell, the Razorbacks' first-year running backs coach. "I was really pleased with him. "He made some really good plays, and then there were some things that once he gets more experienced, he's going to get better at. He's got a burst that's unbelievable. He has great acceleration. He's a big guy, and he's trying to run physical, so I've been really impressed with him." Mitchell also said the newest member of the running back group has good vision and is not afraid to run between the tackles.

Offensive coordinator Dan Enos said Mitchell "ran his fanny off" in last week's 61-play scrimmage. "I think it's a natural spot for him," Enos said. "I think he's going to help us. He's got great speed and athleticism and he's explosive."

And, the Damon Mitchell interview from post practice on Tuesday.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/apr/07/mitchell-singing-new-tune-at-rb-2016040/

http://www.wholehogsports.com/videos/2016/apr/05/12539/
Go Hogs Go!

FANONTHEHILL

The practices I've attended Duwop has looked amazing.  All the TBs, Walker, Evans,  Day, Duwop, and Rawleigh are flying all over.  Add Devwah Whaley this summer and that's quite a stable of TBs.  Jones, Damani Carter, and a new walk on David Goodman from Siloam Springs are looking solid at FB.  Then add the best group of TE/H-Backs in the country, we're in good shape . 
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on April 07, 2016, 10:44:08 am
The practices I've attended Duwop has looked amazing.  All the TBs, Walker, Evans,  Day, Duwop, and Rawleigh are flying all over.  Add Devwah Whaley this summer and that's quite a stable of TBs.  Jones, Damani Carter, and a new walk on David Goodman from Siloam Springs are looking solid at FB.  Then add the best group of TE/H-Backs in the country, we're in good shape .

Glad you can see practices. Nice observations.
[CENSORED]!

tophawg19

if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

presidenthog

honestly I think he should have stuck it out at WR and had a break out year next year. he has all the physical abilities to be a stud nfl WR. he looks like the pro physically out of all of our WR's.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: presidenthog on April 07, 2016, 01:40:44 pm
honestly I think he should have stuck it out at WR and had a break out year next year. he has all the physical abilities to be a stud nfl WR. he looks like the pro physically out of all of our WR's.

I can't fault him for trying to get on the field and make an impact where ever he can tho
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

AirWarren

With what we have at WR, that would have been foolish considering his athletic ability and need to get him the ball. Plus if he is doing great as a back, let him.

Plus, we never know what kind of snake bite injuries will hit us. He may be back at WR at some point.

hogmolar

If he couldnt have a break out year last year with all the injuries, having one this year appears it will be even tougher.  Glad he has moved, shows great unselfishness and willing to help the team.

DeltaBoy

Losing Collins this move makes the most sense and it will help the team the most.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: hogmolar on April 08, 2016, 08:21:59 am
If he couldnt have a break out year last year with all the injuries, having one this year appears it will be even tougher.  Glad he has moved, shows great unselfishness and willing to help the team.

Fair point, at this time last year I doubt many people thought that we'd be sitting here today thinking of our WR corps as one of the deepest, most talented positional groups on the team. I certainly did not.

WizardofhOgZ

Don't sleep on T.J. Hammonds.  Probably won't be a pure RB, but I see him getting a few carries a game in sort of a Percy Harvin role.

PorkRinds

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on April 08, 2016, 11:25:16 am
Don't sleep on T.J. Hammonds.  Probably won't be a pure RB, but I see him getting a few carries a game in sort of a Percy Harvin role.

I feel like TJ redshirts and Duwop gets those carries.  We will see I suppose.

VirginiaHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 08, 2016, 12:28:23 pm
I agree. I think Hammonds is great. But i cant see him cracking ther wr rotation. And if Walker can be a 1a or 1b guy. And if Williams is his old self. And if a Junior Mitchel has the burst coaches are saying. Well lots of ifs. But if these are true. Even Whaley will have a huge fight to get carries. If Hammonds does not RS it will be because he is improving special teams.

Großer Kriegschwein

With his size and speed, RB seems to be the best position for him. Remember, we get Pettway off of his redshirt year this fall.

He's gonna be the big, broad WR.... Mitchell is better suited to playing behind the center.
This is my non-signature signature.

MuskogeeHogFan

I'm excited to see how quickly Whaley learns the offense, can recognize and align properly to audibles at the line, adjusts to the increased speed of the game and whether or not he can run block and pass block and make contributions in games. If he is the exceptional RB that everyone believes that he is, he will have a lot of opportunities to make an impact this season.
Go Hogs Go!

MissippHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 09, 2016, 06:34:48 am
I'm excited to see how quickly Whaley learns the offense, can recognize and align properly to audibles at the line, adjusts to the increased speed of the game and whether or not he can run block and pass block and make contributions in games. If he is the exceptional RB that everyone believes that he is, he will have a lot of opportunities to make an impact this season.
All good points.  I think some of us often forget just how much is asked of the RB's in our system.  It's not just "get the ball and run it." 

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 08, 2016, 12:28:23 pm

I got the sense that they would like to try out TJ at WR if they did not absolutely need him at RB. If Duwop develops well enough through spring and fall camp they may decide that they can use a red shirt year on TJ practicing at WR. As deep as we are at WR today we will be losing apt of that at the end of the season. 

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.