Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

But are we going to be the biggest line in football?

Started by razornbv, April 06, 2016, 04:23:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razornbv

With all of the departures what are the talking heads going to discuss? We need to be throwing the weight on asap.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: razornbv on April 06, 2016, 04:23:56 pm
With all of the departures what are the talking heads going to discuss? We need to be throwing the weight on asap.

It would be cool! I doubt it though, Kirkland and tretola weighed a lot.

nwahogfan1

It got us some free Pub last year being the biggest but big guys doesn't always translate into good blockers who can move their feet very well.   Especially in the 4th quarter when they are tired.   Lets hope for athletic blockers who can block down field on pulling plays and screens/draws plus being able to make a hole in the Defense Line.

Boardon Hamsay

I am hopeful the comments go from the obligatory "Arkansas has biggest line in football" to something like "what Arkansas' line does to opposing lines from a mauling perspective might be deemed criminal in some foreign countries."
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

MuskogeeHogFan

As an example,

Alabama's returning two deep averages 6-4 1/4, 309 lbs.
Auburn's returning two deep averages 6-4 1/2, 304 lbs.

Our returning two deep (or one-deep, as it were) averages 6-5, 322 lbs.

We are still plenty big.
Go Hogs Go!

Hoggish1

HamSammich

Im not sure if its a distinction I would relish.

Id rather have a team that has the meanest or fastest or stinkiest offensive line. Biggest hasn't always worked for us in games.

razorbackkid

Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 06, 2016, 06:38:11 pm
I am hopeful the comments go from the obligatory "Arkansas has biggest line in football" to something like "what Arkansas' line does to opposing lines from a mauling perspective might be deemed criminal in some foreign countries."
Agreed.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

tusksincolorado

I am obviously getting old....I still fall for the same old tired schick.

Haters will always BE HATERS....
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

(notOM)Rebel123

I'd rather us be known as the best blocking O-line rather than the biggest.
No hating here...great to be biggest, I guess. But just be the best.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

ChitownHawg

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on April 06, 2016, 09:58:33 pm
I'd rather us be known as the best blocking O-line rather than the biggest.
No hating here...great to be biggest, I guess. But just be the best.

I agree. Something along the lines of "Arkansas' Oline are maulers and easily get to the second level".
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Hardcore Hoggy

I personally have "biggest O line in all of football" fatigue. Just win.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 07, 2016, 08:01:09 am
I agree. Something along the lines of "Arkansas' Oline are maulers and easily get to the second level".

I'm more excited about the new technique being taught the O-Line. Coach Andersen has indicated that if the kids learn these techniques, teams that attempt to slant and shoot gaps will be playing right into their hands. I like it. Coaching and planning for any eventuality. I never understood why a coach like Pittman didn't have them prepared to counter smaller defensive linemen that we faced who provided the threat of executing this type of technique.
Go Hogs Go!

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 07, 2016, 08:14:51 am
I'm more excited about the new technique being taught the O-Line. Coach Andersen has indicated that if the kids learn these techniques, teams that attempt to slant and shoot gaps will be playing right into their hands. I like it. Coaching and planning for any eventuality. I never understood why a coach like Pittman didn't have them prepared to counter smaller defensive linemen that we faced who provided the threat of executing this type of technique.

If CKA can get them to have sound technique then CDE is going to be scary with his play calling.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

hoghevn

Einstein - "The difference between genius and stupdity; genius has limits."

Piggage

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on April 07, 2016, 08:13:26 am

Same here. I don't want to just serve as proof that bigger isn't always better. If we lose games we have no business losing, I take no consolation in being the biggest anything.

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: Piggage on April 07, 2016, 10:53:59 am
Same here. I don't want to just serve as proof that bigger isn't always better. If we lose games we have no business losing, I take no consolation in being the biggest anything.
IT just got to the point last season that winning or losing, I just cringed every time it was said by an announcer.

Coach Obvious

Knowing how the sports talking heads think, we will probably be tagged with the phrase, "Arkansas used to have the biggest o-line in all of football."

Atlhogfan1

From a branding perspective, it worked.  We are trying to put across an image of a big, physical football team and create discussion around our program.  The media guide cover this past season for example.  It doesn't hurt in recruiting OL, RBs or even pro style QBs.  The biggest oline thing just contributed to the branding.

Literally, I'm sure none of us care about it as long as the oline proves to be more than effective in all facets ie run blocking, pass pro, few penalties, etc. 

And I could see why some opponents especially non conf may take the branding attempt as a challenge for their defense. 

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on April 07, 2016, 11:01:03 am
IT just got to the point last season that winning or losing, I just cringed every time it was said by an announcer.

I get it.  Kind of like the Fastest 40 thing with basketball.  But programs need branding especially ones like ours who aren't elite and must leave the area to find recruits. 

Announcers cling on to limited talking points especially the lesser ones. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Sir Oinksalot

ILM@Off ... the title cracked me up.... idk, I'm in a great mood today ...

Carry on ...
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

factchecker

I want our offensive line to be more aggressive at the point of attack.  Big, small, fat, ripped.... i don't care- I want domination at the line of scrimmage.  No more catching blocks and allowing penetration.

The offensive line needs to finish off blocks like Ragnow (right guard) does here against Kansas State:

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 07, 2016, 11:23:22 am
From a branding perspective, it worked.  We are trying to put across an image of a big, physical football team and create discussion around our program.  The media guide cover this past season for example.  It doesn't hurt in recruiting OL, RBs or even pro style QBs.  The biggest oline thing just contributed to the branding.

Literally, I'm sure none of us care about it as long as the oline proves to be more than effective in all facets ie run blocking, pass pro, few penalties, etc. 

And I could see why some opponents especially non conf may take the branding attempt as a challenge for their defense. 

I get it.  Kind of like the Fastest 40 thing with basketball.  But programs need branding especially ones like ours who aren't elite and must leave the area to find recruits. 

I totally get that, and agree , we are just another SEC mid tier program to most people and so we need a shtick.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 07, 2016, 11:23:22 am

At least someone gets it...

Cinco de Hogo

I get tired of it as a talking point because it's not a determining factor in winning football games.  If the stats are there to show greatness then being the biggest becomes just an add on to that conversation.  It's like having a thousand yard rusher or three thousand yard passer on a 3-9 team.  It's great for the individual but doesn't say much about the team in a team sport.  Just be great!

Atlhogfan1

Every program tries to build an identity and usually one intended.  Successful coaches are good at doing it and some can duplicate it at multiple programs.  Again, this was just one talking point in the identity we were creating.  I don't believe we intentionally created the biggest oline.  But when it worked out that it was with what we are trying to do, then we weren't going to shut it down.  I too got tired of hearing weak announcers or supposed analysts go to it.  But it was a way for them they thought to describe how we want to play and can be effective.  You just cringe in games like Toledo where smaller size, quickness and scheme had an effect against the size.  That is when you really don't want to hear it. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on April 07, 2016, 11:48:20 am
I get tired of it as a talking point because it's not a determining factor in winning football games.  If the stats are there to show greatness then being the biggest becomes just an add on to that conversation.  It's like having a thousand yard rusher or three thousand yard passer on a 3-9 team.  It's great for the individual but doesn't say much about the team in a team sport.  Just be great!

What got tiring to me about it was the way the announcers were all over "biggest o line in football" pregame and asking each other how our opponent would possibly handle going against such a big strong line, then the game would start and we'd get manhandled.

ricepig

Sir Oinksalot

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 07, 2016, 11:40:17 am

I even opened up yur stoopit sheet....wish I hadn't now ... you b living the life ...

What a great magnificent day ...
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

reddogjcss

I hope we have BEST O Line in all of football, biggest is just a commercial, blow them off the line and protect QB is what it's all about.

Hawgzinbowlz

Let's just be good enough to gain a yard, or less, when the game is on the line, third or fourth down, and we need to move the chains.

" GO HOGS "

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 07, 2016, 11:40:17 am

Oh, we get it. But it was hard to listen to when we were losing to Toledo.  ;)
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on April 07, 2016, 08:13:26 am

Especially when the announcers trot it out during a game we are struggling in . . . for example, the Toledo game last season.  We could not score from in close, yet they were bragging on our "dominant" OL . . .

PorkRinds

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on April 08, 2016, 06:35:57 am
Oh, we get it. But it was hard to listen to when we were losing to Toledo.  ;)

When you get a bad meal from a restaurant do you expect them to rebrand their entire marketing strategy to reflect your bad experience?  No? Then I wouldn't expect it with your favorite football team either.  ;)

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 06, 2016, 05:37:21 pm
It got us some free Pub last year being the biggest but big guys doesn't always translate into good blockers who can move their feet very well.   Especially in the 4th quarter when they are tired.   Lets hope for athletic blockers who can block down field on pulling plays and screens/draws plus being able to make a hole in the Defense Line.
Totally agree. While it's nice to have the publicity that we have the largest (heaviest) OL in ALL of football, in the end I could care less if we have the LIGHTEST. Ultimately it's about having the most EFFECTIVE, heavy or not. At times I think a lot of us get wrapped up in the size and think that automatically that's going to translate into being the most dominate. Well as we've seen, especially in the SEC, sometimes it's more about the ability to move and block effectively. That also involves STRENGTH. So...whether or not we continue to be the largest O line in all of football is for the most part irrelevant. It's about being the most effective, strongest, smartest and best coached that will ultimately tell the tale of how really good our line is and does.