Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fred Talley compares Nutt to absentee father

Started by WizardofhOgZ, April 06, 2016, 04:19:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

April 06, 2016, 04:19:56 pm Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 04:54:59 pm by WizardofhOgZ
Just stumbled across this blog (by Evin Demeril) that he wrote after talking to Talley last year.  I'm not trying to stir anything up, in particular - though I'm sure it will.  I just found it an interesting read (although not particularly well written, IMO).  Insight into our program in that era from one of or key players.

Of course, one has to judge the personal bias of the individual telling the tale.  Still, I think it gives some perspective that most not on the team don't usually get.

http://www.bestofarkansassports.com/hog-great-fred-talley-compares-houston-nutt-to-his-negligent-father/

Hogfly

I'm not a huge Nutt fan, but you don't talk to the CEO/Coach of a program about issues with insurance and dental bills. That's an HR matter. I don't blame Talley for not getting that, but I don't know that many CEOs who you approach and say, "Oh, hey. Is my insurance going to pay for this?"

Usually they don't have a freaking clue whether it will or not.

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Hogs run wild

Talley was awesome back in the day! Wish we had another one like him right now. Sad to hear how he was misled. Nutt is not the first to ever do that nor is he the last. I hope he got his degree.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

Justifiable Hogicide

Kind of cringed reading Nutt bragging about giving $4,000 to Olajubutu, he of the Nutt Family Posse's ordered Code Red on our QB.

The_Hog_Father

Nice one Eldo... Great run! :razorback:

Now, Who could forget this one... Damn I miss Talley.  :razorback:

LRrazorback

I think it was this board I read about insurance for former players and this story reminded me of it.  Is there some universities that offer health insurance to former players and could Arkansas do it?

KlubhouseKonnected

Reading the blog post I could not tell if the writer kept messing up the names of people of if I am just really tired.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Locutus_of_Boar

"Nutt was so bothered to learn that Talley felt jaded he got his phone number and called Talley within minutes."

Uh-huh, bothered as usual less about the plight of a former player but rather bothered about protecting his reputation that exists mostly in his own mind these days.

It would have been interesting to see how Talley would have faired as a former player of Petrino or Bielema.  It's doubtful that Bobby would have been of greater help than Houston but then neither would Fred be under an illusion about his coach's character or where he stood with BP. 

yraciv

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on April 06, 2016, 10:32:13 pm
"Nutt was so bothered to learn that Talley felt jaded he got his phone number and called Talley within minutes."

Uh-huh, bothered as usual less about the plight of a former player but rather bothered about protecting his reputation that exists mostly in his own mind these days.

It would have been interesting to see how Talley would have faired as a former player of Petrino or Bielema.  It's doubtful that Bobby would have been of greater help than Houston but then neither would Fred be under an illusion about his coach's character or where he stood with BP. 

Nutt is a lot of things, but I for one never doubted he loved this University and would do anything for his players.    Every former player I've talked to seems to have the same impression.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Pigs in Zen on April 06, 2016, 08:47:41 pm

Nice one Eldo... Great run! :razorback:

Now, Who could forget this one... Damn I miss Talley.  :razorback:

Whoopi was the Razorback DC (that D was swarming)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: yraciv on April 06, 2016, 10:37:27 pm
Nutt is a lot of things, but I for one never doubted he loved this University and would do anything for his players.    Every former player I've talked to seems to have the same impression.

Some former players don't speak highly of him. I've heard it. EVERY coach has former players that both like them or hate them or are indifferent towards them. ALL coaches say they care equally but it is human nature in a large group to feel closer to some over others.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on April 06, 2016, 10:32:13 pm

This bolded part is the truth!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

riccoar

Quote from: yraciv on April 06, 2016, 10:37:27 pm
I've never tried to burn anything to the ground that I profess to love.  Nutt did when he went to Ole Piss.  He can keep his Okie Lite card.  His UofA has been revoked. 

Hardcore Hoggy

LOL 11 years later...

Can't we just leave it at "Nutt was a mediocre coach?" I mean you know, it is 11 years later, maybe time for some maturity and perspective.

Hoggish1

DeltaBoy

Glad Tally doing better and he and coach got things worked out.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

DeltaBoy

Wow the Hogs blocked a punt , picked off a pass and won.  Great win on the Plains.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Birminghog

Quote from: Hoggish1 on April 07, 2016, 08:28:07 am
In that sleepy little town they still imagine Talley just ran by them, untouched...

China Grove?

hoghevn

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on April 07, 2016, 08:10:45 am
LOL 11 years later...

Can't we just leave it at "Nutt was a mediocre coach?" I mean you know, it is 11 years later, maybe time for some maturity and perspective.

That's how bad Nutt REALLY pissed people off.....  There was just something "Hillary Clintonish" about him that people did/do not trust.
Einstein - "The difference between genius and stupdity; genius has limits."

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: hoghevn on April 07, 2016, 10:23:20 am
That's how bad Nutt REALLY pissed people off.....  There was just something "Hillary Clintonish" about him that people did/do not trust.

I get that, and I have no love for the guy, but seriously 11 years later and threads about him are still popping up? To further your analogy, this is like Obamanites still blaming Bush for things that are going on today.

The_Boot_stops_here

Not a Nutt fan but this comes off as petty on Talley's part

younghog

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on April 06, 2016, 04:19:56 pm
Just stumbled across this blog (by Evin Demeril) that he wrote after talking to Talley last year.  I'm not trying to stir anything up, in particular - though I'm sure it will.  I just found it an interesting read (although not particularly well written, IMO).  Insight into our program in that era from one of or key players.

Of course, one has to judge the personal bias of the individual telling the tale.  Still, I think it gives some perspective that most not on the team don't usually get.

http://www.bestofarkansassports.com/hog-great-fred-talley-compares-houston-nutt-to-his-negligent-father/

interesting for sure.. However for Talley to say 'why did it take 8 years for coach to reach out to me'.. Is more telling, In that Talley feels the staff should be reaching out and ensuring that former players are taken care of..

This however is not how Life is and not How life after football is either.

~my thoughts

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

Sir Oinksalot

Fred Talley was an assss, butt with amazing talent...

(Pun intended)

We will never see anyone run with a football like that again.....it took Nutt 3 years to see it ...
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on April 07, 2016, 10:48:29 am
Fred Talley was an assss, butt with amazing talent...

(Pun intended)

We will never see anyone run with a football like that again.....it took Nutt 3 years to see it ...

And here is where is things get stupid. Didn't Arkansas have a pretty good RB on the field that wasn't going to lose his spot to a younger player? Yes he did, just like DMac had to wait his turn behind a pretty damn good Talley.

Nutt has a lot of problems as a coach, recognizing and playing talent at RB wasn't one of them.

Sir Oinksalot

Yeah Rouse ... and Vanderbilt beat his azzz with DMAC sitting ... in Fayetteville  ...

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on April 07, 2016, 10:58:29 am

And here is where is things get stupid. Didn't Arkansas have a pretty good RB on the field that wasn't going to lose his spot to a younger player? Yes he did, just like DMac had to wait his turn behind a pretty damn good Talley.

Nutt has a lot of problems as a coach, recognizing and playing talent at RB wasn't one of them.

Pretty sure McFadden and Talley were never on the same team. I think it just took Coach Nutt a little longer than it should have to realize how good Darren was at first. A very little bit like Petrino with Davis.

Sir Oinksalot

I didn't like Talley for suckers punching that white track guy in a bar and then stomping on him ...

But go back and read my posts, I kept saying he was a hellofaback. ..and should have started

Then when he did start no one could lay a glove on him .. imagine a fast D'Angelo ...

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on April 07, 2016, 11:04:37 am
Pretty sure McFadden and Talley were never on the same team. I think it just took Coach Nutt a little longer than it should have to realize how good Darren was at first. A very little bit like Petrino with Davis.

You're right, I mixed up my timeline a bit.

The point remains, HDN put us on the path of becoming Running Back U and questioning his decision.ns at THAT position for us just reeks of being a crybaby who a decade later can't move on.

snoblind

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on April 07, 2016, 10:28:06 am
I get that, and I have no love for the guy, but seriously 11 years later and threads about him are still popping up? To further your analogy, this is like Obamanites still blaming Bush for things that are going on today.

If someone comes across an article on Ford, Hatfield, Holtz, BP or any other former coach (assistants included) especially if it has references to their time here it gets posted.

Sir Oinksalot

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on April 07, 2016, 11:12:01 am

The point remains, HDN put us on the path of becoming Running Back U and questioning his decision.ns at THAT position for us just reeks of being a crybaby who a decade later can't move on.

What, boy you need to go get that wad out of your shorts....Nutt was an idiot but a good players coach....he was loyal to people but couldn't see the greatness in Talley among others ...

He sat Talley, all that time,  and when he finally played DMac, I saw him run that player into a stacked Bama line 15 times in a row.... I was at that game in TTown.....it was brutal watching DMAC get clobbered over and over for 3 yards a pop...

Your hero is a sacred of it ...

Arkapigdiesel

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

Sir Oinksalot

Haha, Talley made them forget about Bo,  they still talk about FT, he's more of a legend there than here ...

snoblind

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on April 07, 2016, 11:12:01 am

Arkansas has been known for great running backs for decades.  The fact that a bunch of MMQB's like us can easily see that your hero put his pettiness above playing the best choice at times and you can't says more about you than us.  Continuing to whine makes you the crybaby.

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on April 07, 2016, 11:16:23 am
What, boy you need to go get that wad out of your shorts....Nutt was an idiot but a good players coach....he was loyal to people but couldn't see the greatness in Talley among others ...

He sat Talley, all that time,  and when he finally played DMac, I saw him run that player into a stacked Bama line 15 times in a row.... I was at that game in TTown.....it was brutal watching DMAC get clobbered over and over for 3 yards a pop...

Your hero is a sacred of it ...

LOL @ he sat Talley all the time

True, as a FR he played behind Cobbs, but for the next 3 years he was our leading rusher with at least 137 carries every season.

Now, if you want to have the opinion that a FR Talley was better than a FR Cobbs, fine, but that's hindsight.

Your remarks about DMac are irrelevant to whether or not he started best player at that position. He did.

Your remark about Nutt being my hero is ridiculous. He was at best a mediocre coach, who for whatever reason was really good with RBs.

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Sir Oinksalot

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on April 07, 2016, 11:36:45 am

LOL @ he sat Talley all the time

True, as a FR he played behind Cobbs, but for the next 3 years he was our leading rusher with at least 137 carries every season.

Now, if you want to have the opinion that a FR Talley was better than a FR Cobbs, fine, but that's hindsight.

Your remarks about DMac are irrelevant to whether or not he started best player at that position. He did.

Your remark about Nutt being my hero is ridiculous. He was at best a mediocre coach, who for whatever reason was really good with RBs.

Hey man did you use Google,  if you did that's cheating, if you didn't we can  online our debate ....

Because Talley may surly have had more yards but he wasn't the starter ... until a Sr.

You go Google that and get back at me ...

KlubhouseKonnected

I always thought Brandon Holmes was the running back most miss used by Nutt he was a darn good RB that got moved around on defense and then called back to RB only when injuries demanded.

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on April 07, 2016, 12:14:36 pm
Hey man did you use Google,  if you did that's cheating, if you didn't we can  online our debate ....

Because Talley may surly have had more yards but he wasn't the starter ... until a Sr.

You go Google that and get back at me ...

Who cares? If he had started in front of one of the other guys, you'd be on here crying that THAT guy was screwed over by Nutt, and we all understand that.

Sir Oinksalot

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on April 07, 2016, 12:25:06 pm
Who cares? If he had started in front of one of the other guys, you'd be on here crying that THAT guy was screwed over by Nutt, and we all understand that.

Uh huh ...

bvillepig

The thing that always puzzled me about Nutt. Why did he sit Mcfaddon and Jones in the Vandy game we lost? 
Several others but I always wondered about Chris Baker also.

Nutt made some statements to a friend about no heart. Chris was just a quiet kid.
I think he had 12 catches in his career but 4 or so went for TD's.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: bvillepig on April 07, 2016, 12:48:36 pm
The thing that always puzzled me about Nutt. Why did he sit Mcfaddon and Jones in the Vandy game we lost? 

Nutt made some statements to a friend about no heart. Chris was just a quiet kid.
because he played lil junior high-ass mind games all the time.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: bvillepig on April 07, 2016, 12:48:36 pm

The QB aspect was always the most puzzling to me, you would think he would have been best suited to coach the position he played, but QB was actually what he was the worst at.

Sivad

Comparing Nutt to his absentee father is a real slam at the absentee father.

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: Sivad on April 07, 2016, 02:58:42 pm
Comparing Nutt to his absentee father is a real slam at the absentee father.

+1

Watched it go down more than once with my own eyes.

Illinihog

Should we ask Fred about all the weed he used to smoke?

Hardcore Hoggy

Some stupid remarks comparing Nutt to an absentee father. Good grief.

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on April 08, 2016, 01:54:20 pm
Some stupid remarks comparing Nutt to an absentee father. Good grief.

Were you there? Did you spend time in the locker room and watch Coach Nutt play his junior high mind games with his players? If not then the only stupid remark seems to be yours... Good Grief indeed.

Have an informed opinion, but if it's not it would behoove you to run others down who have first hand experience.

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: Illinihog on April 08, 2016, 01:48:30 pm
Should we ask Fred about all the weed he used to smoke?

Have you ever had serious chronic pain issues?