Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Good explanation of Defensive Line Techniques and their responsibilities

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, April 03, 2016, 07:15:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

I found this and thought it was a good way of explaining the D-Line techniques, their responsibilities and why certain players with their individual talents and abilities are placed in those positions. I thought this might be timely with the move of Ledbetter to the DT position.

The chart that shows the various numbered techniques and gaps can be found in the link below.

1-Technique (4-3 NT) Pat Williams
The 1-technique does much the same as the 0-technique, except he is shaded over the inside shoulder of one of the guards, and is rarely expected to control two gaps. He is, however, expected to command a double team from the center and guard, which frees up other linemen to be one on one with their blockers. Pat Williams has been the prototype for this position for years. Williams was an immovable force in the middle for the Vikings and required two players to try and shift him from the point of attack, leaving Kevin Williams single-blocked by a guard, and allowing linebackers to run free to the ball and make stops close to the line of scrimmage. A good 1-technique DT can dramatically improve an entire run defense, because he makes several players' jobs much easier.

3-Technique (4-3 Pass Rush Tackle) – Tommy Kelly
Probably the most well known of the defensive techniques, the 3-technique lines up shaded to the guard's outside shoulder, ready to shoot the B-gap on his side of the formation. Various line shifts and defensive schemes have been developed with the express purpose of getting the 3-technique the most beneficial situation possible, which is why guys like Warren Sapp, John Randle, Keith Millard and now Ndamukong Suh have been able to rack-up sack numbers. The 4-3 Under front, discussed in our article on Hybrid defenses, was designed to isolate the weak side guard 1-on-1 with the 3-technique (or under) tackle. This player's job is to penetrate the line of scrimmage through his B-gap and disrupt plays in the backfield, whether pass or run. Unlike the first two tackle positions, the 3-technique relies far more on speed and agility than brute strength.

7 & 6-Techniques (4-3 DLE) – Ray Edwards
The 7-technique is often used by 4-3 teams on the left side of the defense as the run-stuffing, power end. He lines up in the gap between the RT and the TE (if there is one on that side of the formation) and is just as often playing the 6-technique depending on how the offense lines up. He's usually responsible for setting the edge in the run game, but is also expected to be able to beat the RT for pressure in the passing game, or force his way inside the TE to do the same. Because they're often forced to fight through a double team or at least a chip from the TE, and they face the 'power' right tackle, the 6 or 7-technique DE is usually a more powerful player than the speed rushing DRE, and almost always a better run defender.

9-Technique (4-3 DRE) – Dwight Freeney
The 9-technique is the speed rushing defensive end, and aside from a few defenses in the NFL, is often used more in obvious pass-rushing situations than as an every down alignment, such is the size of the gap left between the DRE and anybody else inside him. The 9-technique lines up well outside the offensive tackle, and outside even the tight end if there is one on that side of the formation. If there isn't a tight end there, the alignment can look almost comical with the defensive end maintaining width to be able to attack the passer. Dwight Freeney is the NFL's prototype player from this technique. Freeney has the speed to beat anybody around the edge and the low center of gravity to be able to dip his shoulder and turn the corner on much taller offensive tackles. The width that he aligns at often forces the tackle to panic and over commit to the edge rush, allowing Freeney to spin back inside to a gaping hole.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/08/12/defensive-line-techniques-the-prototypes/
Go Hogs Go!

arsuperhog

Great analysis.  Thanks for sharing.  One variation on the 1-technique is the 0-technique.  That's when the nose guard lines head up on the center, and controls both A gaps.  Thought, with the advent of the spread offense, and fewer run based offenses, more teams are going away from this technique. But it's the position I played in High School, so I thought I'd mention it.

LZH

We ran a 5-2 defense in school, using the even number techniques (0, 2, 4), which effectively worked like a 3-4. And with shifts, there were quite a few 4-3 looks...they called them 'Sam' & 'Sarah'. I can assure you that practicing against this (when we weren't mirroring a defense in preparing for another team) was a hell of a task.

I have wondered for a while why more SEC defenses don't use more 3-4 looks. The only reason, or possibly at least the best reason, that I have come up with is that they don't have the personnel to run it like some pro teams do. But they can recruit that way if they see fit. Maybe it is not as effective in a rush-heavy conference, I don't know. Alabama uses it quite a bit, but they have the studs to run it, too.

DeltaBoy

We ran 5-3 and inside gap was Delta and outgap was Bravo the LB lined up right behind the tackles and noseman on Base , inside Okie and outside Texas
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

LZH

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 06, 2016, 03:33:41 pm
We ran 5-3 and inside gap was Delta and outgap was Bravo the LB lined up right behind the tackles and noseman on Base , inside Okie and outside Texas

Must have had some damn fine athletes in that linebacking Corps, running a cover 1 all the time would be awfully tough.

Josh Goforth

I'm guessing it was in the days where if a team threw the ball more than 10 times it was unheard of.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: LZH on April 06, 2016, 04:06:27 pm
Must have had some damn fine athletes in that linebacking Corps, running a cover 1 all the time would be awfully tough.

Back then everyone we faced ran Wing T, Wishbone, Power I , spit back Veer.  It would not work today too much passing.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Rolltide4ever

Quote from: LZH on April 06, 2016, 04:06:27 pm

Hey LZH ,

Saw your post here and thought I would share a video on youtube where the person breaks down a few Bama plays ( offensive and defensive ) it is great for people like me and you that like to watch the game inside the game. The man that made the videos Kyle Morris is the head coach at a high school here in Alabama. It is a great educational video for people who want to learn more about why a defense or offense may set a certain way at certain times. Hope other Hog Fans will watch it also, and hope they enjoy the knowledge the coach shares with us. The coach has other plays he talks about on his channel, I just chose 1 to share with you here on Hogville.
Hope your doing well also LZH. As always WPS to ya......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IMlbIxK-Fk&nohtml5=False
This is the beginning of a new day. God has given me this day to use as I will. I can waste it or use it for good. What I do today is very important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it.
When tomorrow comes,this day will be gone forever,leaving something in its place I have traded for it. I want it to be a gain,not loss-good, not evil. Success,not failure in order that I shall not forget the price I paid for it.
Kept in the wallet of Paul William Bryant.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Rolltide4ever on April 12, 2016, 09:31:56 pm
Hey LZH ,

Saw your post here and thought I would share a video on youtube where the person breaks down a few Bama plays ( offensive and defensive ) it is great for people like me and you that like to watch the game inside the game. The man that made the videos Kyle Morris is the head coach at a high school here in Alabama. It is a great educational video for people who want to learn more about why a defense or offense may set a certain way at certain times. Hope other Hog Fans will watch it also, and hope they enjoy the knowledge the coach shares with us. The coach has other plays he talks about on his channel, I just chose 1 to share with you here on Hogville.

Thanks.
Cool, we'll done video.
Very informative.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

LZH

Quote from: Rolltide4ever on April 12, 2016, 09:31:56 pm
Hey LZH ,

Excellent. Hope you are doing ok too, brother. Check your pm.