Wally Promoting Tim Horton

Started by harrisburghog, December 01, 2017, 05:10:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Burks

Quote from: harrisburghog on December 01, 2017, 05:10:13 am
Hiring new football coach trumps a new AD

Story by Wally Hall
Friday, December 1, 2017
Rumors were flying. Tweets were twittering, or whatever they do, and texts were being sent with bold statements or tough questions.
At any given moment Thursday afternoon, the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville had a new athletic director, and minutes later it didn't. The process continued.
The search firms the UA hired to vet the athletic director applications and the head football coaching search continued to vet and search.
    When it was announced that Korn Ferry would vet those under consideration for the job, it was assumed that would be five or six people and an announcement would be made by the end of the week.
Chancellor Joseph Steinmetz did the right thing in getting Korn Ferry to investigate the backgrounds of candidates. That was probably the right course for him, because he's still ticked off he had to fire Jeff Long and apparently he initially thought hiring a coach first would be OK, which it wasn't.
Someone hired DHR International to help interim AD Julie Cromer Peoples find a new head coach.
   Korn Ferry has a great reputation in the world of perspiring arts.
DHR International is a large firm that seems to specialize in head hunting for presidents and CEOs in the business world. It lists Glenn Sugiyama as its managing partner over sports, and it seems the agency is trying to carve a niche of finding women to fill Division I athletic director positions.
In Sugiyama's bio, there is an interview with Sports Business Daily about the growing numbers of female athletic directors on the D-I level. DHS represented Heather Lyke, who was recently named Pittsburgh's AD.
That is not a red flag, just a fact that an agency is working to help women in a traditionally male world.
The company's lack of experience in finding football coaches might have been a concern. It helped Seth Littrell get the North Texas job and Oregon State find Washington co-offensive coordinator Jonathan Smith. It helped put Jeff Brohm at Purdue and Lane Kiffin at Florida Atlantic.
That, apparently, is the sum total of its experience in college football coaching, and it might explain why Kiffin's name has come up for the Razorbacks' job, but not in official circles.
Kiffin would be a huge mistake for any SEC team. This week, he started poking a fight with Alabama's Nick Saban, who beats teams regularly without being mad at them.
Athletics may be a relatively new division for DHR.
The AD job is important, but the coaching hire is what fans are interested in. They are hoping for a good AD but demanding a great football coach.
Maybe this just proves that almost all the eggs are in the Gus Malzahn basket, but anyone who thinks Arkansas can wait until after the College Football Playoffs to sign a coach -- and miss the early signing period -- doesn't get it.
That would have been like American Pharoah running the Arkansas Derby on three legs. He was great, but not that great.
If Malzahn can't commit to being the Razorbacks' head coach by Monday, the UA needs to move on. It is highly unlikely Cromer Peoples doesn't have several candidates on speed dial. She is efficient like that.
Don't know the list and highly doubtful she's sharing it with anyone, especially yours truly, but hopefully it includes Tim Horton, the running backs and special teams coach at Auburn.
Since Frank Broyles was the head coach, the most successful Razorbacks coaches were Ken Hatfield and Houston Nutt, both homegrown products who know how much the Razorbacks mean to the fans.
Wait did he really say that Nutt was one of the most successful coaches since JFB? So he was better than Petrino and Lou Holtz????

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Lady Razorback on December 01, 2017, 08:19:52 am
This makes so much sense.  I realize Broyles was a coach in a different time, however he has been the most successful coach in Arkansas program history.  I would love to see some discussion of what factors other see in historical iconic head coaches.  Is there some commonality in coaches like Bear Bryant, Darrell Royal, Broyles, even Saban.  At least for the next couple of days instead of 100 more threads about "sources tell me" and regurgitation of arguments for or against Gus, Norvell, Kiffin and Venables.  I would enjoy reading some perspective from some of you. 

Well what I would say is of all the names mentioned the one that most closely mirrors Frank is Mike Norvell.  Norvell is 36 Broyles was 33 when hired at Arkansas.  Frank had 1 year HC experience at Missouri.  Mike has 2 at Memphis.  Broyles had always admired Arkansas from afar, so much so that he left Missouri after 1 year to take the job.  It has been said by many that Arkansas is Norvell's dream job.  Frank was known as an innovator.  I believe Norvell's offense although borrowing from others (isn't that what coaches do) is innovative. 

Point is there are a lot of similarities between the two. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Granny fan

Hey y'all Porkrindjimmy tried to tell y'all this!!

LAGNAF

bkjbearcat

When I saw Tim Horton, I thought Wally is advertising for a Canadian Donut and coffee shop?
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

Dwight_K_Shrute

I think after the Greg Schiano debacle every administration even one being run by GOBs is going to think twice about ramming in an unpopular choice. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

BigK_HogHeaven

What is he thinking? He writes an entire article about search firms, then at the end says and oh yeah Tim Horton should be considered? This is the same guy who said Joe Kleine would make a great AD.  You know, because owning a few BBQ joints is a great prerequisite to being an AD. How does Wally still have a job?

Polecat

Story by Wally Hall
Friday, December 1, 2017
Rumors were flying. Tweets were twittering, or whatever they do, and texts were being sent with bold statements or tough questions.
At any given moment Thursday afternoon, the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville had a new athletic director, and minutes later it didn't. The process continued.
The search firms the UA hired to vet the athletic director applications and the head football coaching search continued to vet and search.
    When it was announced that Korn Ferry would vet those under consideration for the job, it was assumed that would be five or six people and an announcement would be made by the end of the week.
Chancellor Joseph Steinmetz did the right thing in getting Korn Ferry to investigate the backgrounds of candidates. That was probably the right course for him, because he's still ticked off he had to fire Jeff Long and apparently he initially thought hiring a coach first would be OK, which it wasn't.
Someone hired DHR International to help interim AD Julie Cromer Peoples find a new head coach.
DHR International is a large firm that seems to specialize in head hunting for presidents and CEOs in the business world. It lists Glenn Sugiyama as its managing partner over sports, and it seems the agency is trying to carve a niche of finding women to fill Division I athletic director positions.
In Sugiyama's bio, there is an interview with Sports Business Daily about the growing numbers of female athletic directors on the D-I level. DHS represented Heather Lyke, who was recently named Pittsburgh's AD.
That is not a red flag, just a fact that an agency is working to help women in a traditionally male world.
The company's lack of experience in finding football coaches might have been a concern. It helped Seth Littrell get the North Texas job and Oregon State find Washington co-offensive coordinator Jonathan Smith. It helped put Jeff Brohm at Purdue and Lane Kiffin at Florida Atlantic.
That, apparently, is the sum total of its experience in college football coaching, and it might explain why Kiffin's name has come up for the Razorbacks' job, but not in official circles.
Kiffin would be a huge mistake for any SEC team. This week, he started poking a fight with Alabama's Nick Saban, who beats teams regularly without being mad at them.
The AD job is important, but the coaching hire is what fans are interested in. They are hoping for a good AD but demanding a great football coach.
Maybe this just proves that almost all the eggs are in the Gus Malzahn basket, but anyone who thinks Arkansas can wait until after the College Football Playoffs to sign a coach -- and miss the early signing period -- doesn't get it.
That would have been like American Pharoah running the Arkansas Derby on three legs. He was great, but not that great.
If Malzahn can't commit to being the Razorbacks' head coach by Monday, the UA needs to move on. It is highly unlikely Cromer Peoples doesn't have several candidates on speed dial. She is efficient like that.
Don't know the list and highly doubtful she's sharing it with anyone, especially yours truly, but hopefully it includes Tim Horton, the running backs and special teams coach at Auburn.
Since Frank Broyles was the head coach, the most successful Razorbacks coaches were Ken Hatfield and Houston Nutt, both homegrown products who know how much the Razorbacks mean to the fans.

Man, I had forgotten how horrible a writer he is. Yikes
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

porkrindjimmy

Story by Wally Hall
Friday, December 1, 2017

I tried to tell people 2 months ago that there were a couple of big boys who sparkled over Tim Horton.

I believe I was laughed at.... repeatedly. But here we are, Dec 1st in the year of our Lord, 2017 and Timmy's name is being dropped.

You don't want this search slipping past the first 2 or 3 choices....because unlike Tenner, we will just make a hire like Timmy, promote as the return of the prodigal hand call it a day.

PRJ

go hogues

What upside does hiring Tim Horton bring?

How would he be able to attract top flight coordinators?

Is Tommy Boyer mentally fit to be on the BOT of a major university?
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Ex-Trumpet

So yesterday Wally writes a love letter to Gus, today he's pitching for Tim Horton?

Wally needs to go away.  And I'm glad this was printed here so I wouldn't click on a link, giving him website hits.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

jrulz83

I'll tell y'all what this "article" is better than the Gus love letter the other day.

Felt like I needed a shower after reading that thing.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

LuckyGiraffe

Wally is poking fun at the absurdity of the PTB during all of this. There are a number of people split on who should be hired as AD and HC. They have all agreed on the plan at this point, but Wally is still taking the opportunity to write about it in a satirical way that will garner a reaction from the fan base.

Cartoon Man

No thanks.  Tim is great in other areas.  Wally needs tobretire

Tony Perkis

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on December 01, 2017, 09:05:02 am
So yesterday Wally writes a love letter to Gus, today he's pitching for Tim Horton?

Wally needs to go away.  And I'm glad this was printed here so I wouldn't click on a link, giving him website hits.
Agreed.

Cartoon Man

Wally needs to retire.  He is an embarrassment in national media.

Torqued pork

It sounds like Wally would prefer a feel good hire he would have an instant rapport with. I would imagine the fluff columns he could write on Horton is the big attraction. Makes his job easy.

hawgon

He might not be bad as an AD.  But who knows?

I suggest a compromise?  Since his coaching career has pretty much topped out apparently, bring him back to Arkansas and make him a Senior Assistant AD or put him in the Foundation and turn him lose fundraising. 

userpick

I like Wally but he uses "yours truly" in every damn article. That bothers me for some reason.

Coondog Hog

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on December 01, 2017, 08:23:20 am
Chad Morris over Tim Horton (and I want to vomit thinking that Chad Morris could me our coach)

All day long
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

Locutus_of_Boar

Remember these guys Wally?

1 Ken Hatfield 76%
2 Lou Holtz 73.5%
3 Bobby Petrino 66.7%

4 Houston Nutt 61.0%
5 Danny Ford 46.5%
6 Bret Bielema 46.0%
7 Jack Crowe 37.5%
8 Joe Kines 35%
9 John L. Smith 33.3%
10 Reggie Herring 0%

Ex-Trumpet

Ok, I'll play...why the fascination with Tim Horton as head coach or AD?  I haven't googled, but has he even held a coordinator's position even?

Someone please enlighten me.  He may be great, but I'm not seeing it at this point.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

redeye

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on December 01, 2017, 10:18:05 am
Remember these guys Wally?

1 Ken Hatfield 76%
2 Lou Holtz 73.5%
3 Bobby Petrino 66.7%

4 Houston Nutt 61.0%
5 Danny Ford 46.5%
6 Bret Bielema 46.0%
7 Jack Crowe 37.5%
8 Joe Kines 35%
9 John L. Smith 33.3%
10 Reggie Herring 0%

The difference is that Wally campaigned to bring Hatfield and Nutt home.  He wrote that Hatfield would air it out and bring an exciting offense to Arkansas, which obviously never happened, regardless of who's to blame.  Nutt was supposed to be some sort of boy wonder, which obviously never happened, either.

Now he's written a public plead for Gus to return and another for Horton.  It seems the only thing that matters to Wally is that connected to Arkansas somehow.  If Alabama had taken that approach, where would Saban be today?

RexMentor

Wally wants to be loved, appreciated, respected and six feet tall.

Polecat

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on December 01, 2017, 10:29:03 am
Ok, I'll play...why the fascination with Tim Horton as head coach or AD?  I haven't googled, but has he even held a coordinator's position even?

Someone please enlighten me.  He may be great, but I'm not seeing it at this point.

I think most of it is based on who his dad is
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: LuckyGiraffe on December 01, 2017, 09:37:24 am
Wally is poking fun at the absurdity of the PTB during all of this. There are a number of people split on who should be hired as AD and HC. They have all agreed on the plan at this point, but Wally is still taking the opportunity to write about it in a satirical way that will garner a reaction from the fan base.

Unfortunately, Wally is serious....
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Fay-hog

who is wally hall?   was he a writer for newspapers?  back in the 80s

anyway some needs to check and see if he has had a stroke.
lady AD
Tim Horton HC
Lane Kiffin a mistake

what does this mean
"It is highly unlikely Cromer Peoples doesn't have several candidates on speed dial. She is efficient like that."

Pumbaa

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Polecat on December 01, 2017, 10:38:12 am
I think most of it is based on who his dad is

Well crap, I should be getting a call then, too...

Smithian

If you could convince me Tim Horton could take this job and hire two grand slam coordinators, then I would be open to seeing how it would play out.

But with so many premiere programs on the market, I am not sure how you could guarantee that Tim Horton could attract elite names to be coordinator in Fayetteville.

Would love to have Tim Horton back in Fayetteville as an assistant.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: RexMentor on December 01, 2017, 10:36:38 am
Wally wants to be loved, appreciated, respected and six feet tall.

...and he still harbors illusions of being the next Orville Henry when he grows up.

EastexHawg

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on December 01, 2017, 05:42:15 am
is Horton paying wally or something?

Someone in a position of power is spoon feeding Wally.  There are rumors that Peoples might want Kiffin.  This column simultaneously attempts to kneecap Kiffin while pushing the idiotic but apparently power-backed notion of bringing in Horton.

Horton is a terrible choice, even worse than Morris.  I don't see how anyone could be so out of touch as to back him.  Plus... Horton generates the excitement level in the fan base of a blood blister.

Calling All Hogs

Yes Wally. Hopefully our current interim AD has all the college position coaches on her speed dial so we can move quickly to get a new head coach if Gus turns down the job. Very insightful.   

regi

Story by Wally Hall
Friday, December 1, 2017

I am Arkansan and all, but Bobby P was headed to becoming the best since Frank period. 12-4, SEC record over 10,11 (year 3 and 4) losses being to Defending NC, 2 NC and Undefeated BSC #! on the road. Really trumps everything by H, except possibly 06, with DMAC, and Gus.  So, lets say two of the 3. Still not bad

woodhog14

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on December 01, 2017, 08:49:36 am
I tried to tell people 2 months ago that there were a couple of big boys who sparkled over Tim Horton.

I believe I was laughed at.... repeatedly. But here we are, Dec 1st in the year of our Lord, 2017 and Timmy's name is being dropped.

You don't want this search slipping past the first 2 or 3 choices....because unlike Tenner, we will just make a hire like Timmy, promote as the return of the prodigal hand call it a day.

PRJ
Tommy Boyer needs to get over his Tim Horton fetish. Good Lord...

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on December 01, 2017, 08:49:36 am

PRJ

What is it they see in TH?  Honestly, I haven't a clue.  Doesn't even have coordinator experience does he?  And he's being mentioned as HC or AD?  Please enlighten me.

Tweeter

Quote from: Porkatarian on December 01, 2017, 08:05:56 am
Tommy Boyer is pushing hard for Timmy Horton for AD.

Porkatarian out...

I like it.  I'd  be okay with Timmy being A.D.   I think he would be good at it.

Redhogs

Quote from: Cartoon Man on December 01, 2017, 09:51:30 am
Wally needs to retire.  He is an embarrassment in national media.
He's an absolute dumbo...and that's being kind.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on December 01, 2017, 12:35:07 pm
What is it they see in TH?  Honestly, I haven't a clue.  Doesn't even have coordinator experience does he?  And he's being mentioned as HC or AD?  Please enlighten me.
Who knows..intent on destroying the program forever I guess.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Calling All Hogs

I like Tim Horton and would like him back as a position coach at Arkansas.Tim Horton would not be a good choice for either head coach or AD. He is only being considered for these because of the family name and connections.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on December 01, 2017, 12:46:20 pm
I like Tim Horton and would like him back as a position coach at Arkansas.Tim Horton would not be a good choice for either head coach or AD. He is only being considered for these because of the family name and connections.

I suspect you're correct but the idea of Horton anywhere in the administration means inviting the black sheep back into the fold and I suspect Hootie is also feeding the idea of Horton to Wally for his own self interest.

Dwight_K_Shrute

His column is akin to thinking Greg Schiano would be an acceptable choice for fans.  He should have the same fate as the TN AD.

JOKERHOG

Quote from: Mellon Collie on December 01, 2017, 06:48:41 am
Tim Horton.  That's like divorcing Jennifer Lawrence and marrying Rosie O'Donnel.

or divorcing amber heard and marrying dennis rodman
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Polecat on December 01, 2017, 08:43:45 am

Man, I had forgotten how horrible a writer he is. Yikes

At least he's now gone one column in a row without using the phrase "Razorback Nation."
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.