Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2024 Spring Games Updates for those who choose to endulge

Started by jbcarol, January 18, 2024, 10:40:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

O'Gara: 1 takeaway from every SEC spring game on Saturday

QuoteEight SEC teams closed their springs with scrimmages, albeit in a different fashion. We had some teams treat spring games like high-stakes fall showdowns (Georgia) and others treat spring games like low-stakes Saturday afternoon parties (Ole Miss).

Alabama — Germie Bernard is exactly what the passing game needs
I've been saying this since the former Washington receiver followed Kalen DeBoer to Tuscaloosa

Arkansas — The Taylen Green-Bobby Petrino connection has ... optimism
All signs out of spring camp have been pointing toward the Boise State transfer being the unquestioned QB1 for Petrino in his return to Arkansas (I'm still not fully used to the end of that sentence).

Florida — DJ Lagway does things you can't teach and a couple of others you can
You can tell why Lagway brought home so much hardware in his senior year of high school and why there's hope that he can right Billy Napier's ship

Georgia — Dominic Lovett is ready to thrive in a post-Brock Bowers/Ladd McConkey world
I don't like getting too worked up about spring game performances. But when you watch a proven receiver have a day like Lovett had, it's hard not to get excited, especially when we know that Beck is searching for a new go-to receiver.

Kentucky — There's an obvious effort to keep this offense under wraps
The UK "spring game" wasn't available to be streamed

LSU — The defense will be better, but the spring game showing didn't make that look like a lock
Brian Kelly poached DC Blake Baker from Mizzou and made him the highest-paid assistant in the sport. There's no way the LSU can be the train wreck it was last year, even if Harold Perkins' usage remains a constant topic of conversation

Ole Miss — There's only 1 team in America doing it like Ole Miss
I don't know, man. Between the pregame slam dunk contest, the sorority tug-of-war contest and the Joey Chestnut-led hot dog eating contest, I think we can safely say that Lane Kiffin pulled out all the stops to live up to that "Party in the Sip"

Tennessee — Nico's mastering the tempo needed to run the Josh Heupel offense
That doesn't sound like a bold proclamation because he had the bowl game performance against an elite Iowa defense. But it's easy to forget that in this game last year, Iamaleava was entering his first few months in the Heupel offense while Joe Milton was entering Year 3
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Spring game takeaways from Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Florida and Tennessee

by: Jesse Simonton

QuoteOn a beautiful mid-April Saturday across the country, a litany of schools held their spring game —

Georgia looks to have plenty of playmakers :hmmm:
Bulldogs are set to open the season as the No. 1 ranked team with the best odds to win a third national title in four years. Still, Kirby Smart's team isn't without question marks

Good news, bad news for Alabama  :hmmm:
Kalen DeBoer stood on the sidelines in Tuscaloosa for the first time Saturday, ushering in a new era for the Crimson Tide. Alabama's offense looked a lot like Washington's prolific attack —

Florida is just fine at QB but elsewhere :hmmm:
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

jbcarol

A&M spring game preview: Key storylines, players to watch
Spenser Davis | 1 hour ago

QuoteA&M will hold its annual spring game on Saturday afternoon at Kyle Field.

This year's game will be highly-anticipated as it will be the first with Mike Elko roaming the sideline:

How will A&M look in Collin Klein's offense?
This past offseason, Texas A&M hired Collin Klein away from Kansas State to be the program's offensive coordinator. Klein represents a major identity-shift for Texas A&M's offense after the Aggies were led by Jimbo and Bobby

Who will stand out in A&M's secondary?
Aggies lost several key defensive backs from last season, which led Elko and his staff to be very aggressive in adding pieces to the back end of this defense in the portal

"I think every secondary kid that we brought in, from Marcus Ratcliffe to Will Lee to Donovan Saunders to BJ Mayes – I think every one of those kids in the secondary and Dezz Ricks, we got to get healthy. But every one of those kids has flashed at times, and I think they are going to add a lot of value back there."

--Elko